• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong on Steam Is Still at 10/10 Score Even After 200K User Reviews

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sekiro is not a Souls game.

Of course it's a Souls game. It features the same gameplay loop as the Souls games. It features the difficulty of the Souls games. It is structured like a Souls game. Just because you play a defined character, it does not mean it is not a Souls game. And neither is the argument that the combat has differences, because so does Bloodborne's.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Should I get this or Stellar Blade?
I prefer Stellar Blade so far. I just got done with Chapter 1, so a few hours in, and I'm done with Stellar Blade, so might be biased. Wukong so far seems to have a shit ton of bosses although not all of them feel like actual bosses, and the combat system feels good but there isn't much else going on. Some really nice cut scenes and illustration. Stellar Blade has good combat (imo it feels better but it's less Souls-style than Wukong) but also excellent exploration and a bunch of fun side content, and a stellar soundtrack.

Honestly just get both

Mondai

Of course it's a Souls game. It features the same gameplay loop as the Souls games. It features the difficulty of the Souls games. It is structured like a Souls game. Just because you play a defined character, it does not mean it is not a Souls game. And neither is the argument that the combat has differences, because so does Bloodborne's.
Miyazaki says it’s not a Souls game so it’s not and Sekiro and Souls games play nothing alike. Only similarities are having health flasks and bonfires.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why are some people so determined to say this isn't a Soulslike, when it so obviously is?
Because it's not. Why are people so determined to call it a Soulslike when the Devs said it is not.

Souls-like revolves around high difficulty and environmental storytelling where most of the details are told through the environment and not through a story driven narrative.

Devs also say it isn't. Send them a 10 page essay on why it's a soulslike and your passion for all things Fromsoft.

Fromsoft did not invent checkpoints, stamina system, level up system using currency.

Next you'll start telling me Monster Hunter is a Soulslike game because you have to rest at the Hub to respawn the monsters in a quest and it has high difficulty combat encounters with a slow and methodical battle system.

GHG

Gold Member
Because it's not. Why are people so determined to call it a Soulslike when the Devs said it is not.

Souls-like revolves around high difficulty and environmental storytelling where most of the details are told through the environment and not through a story driven narrative.

Devs also say it isn't. Send them a 10 page essay on why it's a soulslike and your passion for all things Fromsoft.

Fromsoft did not invent checkpoints, stamina system, level up system using currency.

Next you'll start telling me Monster Hunter is a Soulslike game because you have to rest at the Hub to respawn the monsters in a quest and it has high difficulty combat encounters with a slow and methodical battle system.

There's also zero punishment for death in this game which is a core mechanic of "souls-likes".

JCK75

I'm enjoying it.. just beat that first hairy monster even though it took me like 7-8 tries to do so.. I'm going to have to actually learn how to play the game now because it's about to get real.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The reason you cannot pause in Souls games is, funnily enough, related to the multiplayer mechanics. I thought it was just From being dicks, but you can pause in Sekiro which id 100% single-player.
Can't even pause the game offline by turning off said multiplayer mechanics. As you said not an issue in Sekiro which also means in that sense Sekiro also isn't a Soulslike.

Now Nioh on the other hand is a Soulslike and shares many similarities to Souls games to a T. Including the no pause scenario.

And Nioh 2 is the best Souls game to play IMO.

Honestly after Sekiro I'm not sure why Fromsoft doesn't evolve Dark Souls combat or if they want the "Miyazaki Game design" why not give players what they want in a Bloodborne 2?

When they went from Sekiro to Elden Ring many wonder why they didn't build off of Sekiro and the answer of course is Sekiro was never a Souls game.

Last edited:

Felessan

Banned
Nah, but it's clear a love project for the chinese, it's their first AAA game based on their most popular story afterall. The game is everywhere in China.
It should be noted that this game full of cultural references outsiders might not get at all.
It's like selling Spiderman game to someone lived in a jungle. For them it's just a generic action game with really awkwardly dressed guy.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Wukong has bonfires, estus flasks, respawning all enemies after rest, respawning healing after rest, progression via souls gained from enemies, restrictive stamina system, a lock on system, dodging mechanic with i-frames, environmental storytelling, large scale difficult boss fights found in open environments... I don't really think i need to go on, but I could.

Just because the devs say its not a soulslike... that doesn't mean that's true. People lie a lot in gaming. Look at Phil Spencer.

It's a fucking soulslike, and there's nothing wrong with that. Soulslikes are by and large, pretty fucking great.

Last edited:

RespawnX

In case of China, considering media attention the game has I wouldn’t be surprised about the goverment spending millions for bots and positive steam reviews. Its a matter of reputation so its a government interest.

Techies

I think the Chinese government flooded both reddit and various user reviews with glowing 10/10 scores and write ups. It was very apparent on Reddit that people were doing this too.

Its a good game but still
Nope, just a good game. Naraka Bladepoint, Gujian3 and Wukong is just good games.

peronmls

The game is very surface level. It is exactly what you see in the trailer. Nothing more or less. It has flash but lacks substance like most indie games. Graphics first, everything else second seems to be what it's aiming for.

Last edited:

Crayon

The game is very surface level. It is exactly what you see in the trailer. Nothing more or less. It has flash but lacks substance like most indie games. Graphics first, everything else second seems to be what it's aiming for.

Even if the graphics are the only great part, everything else can just be good to very good and you still get an impactful game. Horizon was graphics and enemies designs. It even got away with bad writing. Witcher 3 was graphics and writing, got away with bad gameplay. Most everything else in those games was high quality.

Funny, how of these examples have great graphics though... Great graphics sway opinions and that's just natural. I'm not such a purist that I won't let awesome visuals add a point. They make me happy especially when contemporary and the best available.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
How are you able to review a game you barely had time to play

I'm saying.

I feel something is sus about a game being review bombed like many 0/10s before a game releases or moments after release, but i feel something is just as sus about many 10/10 with so little time to play.

So the overpraise and exaggeration over the game isn't really fooling everyone lol
More like a 6/10.

The more you play the worse it gets.
Chapter 3 main dungeon.

Fun fell off a cliff here.

From what I've seen, this game looked like a 6 or 7 and nothing is wrong with that btw, its still a buy for me, but I haven't seen anything in the game that leaps out and screams 10/10

Defo not a 10 game. Thats just absurd. Im 7 hours in and it's pretty good. Reminds me of Jedi Fallen Order/weaker God of War. Boss fights are the highlights no doubt but everything else is just ok. I'd say its a 7.5-8/10 so far.

Thats how I felt looking at this game, I got the vibe it would be sorta like those games to a weaker degree, if its just going to be a boss fight to boss fight type game, that is good enough for me.

We'll wait for a deep sale or physical PS5 release

ManaByte

Gold Member
giphy.gif

mel-brooks-forefathers.gif

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm happy that people like it but let's not pretend it's some life changing experience from a gameplay perspective.
Speak for yourself. After I'm done with it, I'm taking a flight to China and will follow Buddhism to live as a hermit among monkeys in the forest.

Last edited:
I think Sony didnt expect this game would be so good and sell so much.I think they will even beat their PS5 number for this year if China is buying PS5 like crazy.With only this game they turned a lot around

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This game is indeed a fascinating game. Of course, if I have enough time, I hope to savor the culture based on Journey to the West. This game needs to be tried in person to have a new experience. This game has indeed shown a phenomenal performance on Steam. One of my friends was distressed because he did not get the character model of the physical collector's edition. However, after a few days, many merchants or handcraft enthusiasts have used 3D scanners to scan the models to make these toy figures. This is simply unexpected.
nice spam

Top Bottom