• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Onemic

Its a great system there just isn't anything to do on it.

Id say that's more because of its age than anything else, seeing as it hasn't been out for up to a year yet. Owning both 3DS and Vita I've played a lot more with the Vita than I ever have with the 3DS, mostly because the backlog of previous gen and digital only games trumps the 3DS by a fair margin. Compared to the psp's first year, the Vita is like a godsend. That shit had literally nothing going for it for a good 2 years.

Honestly sony should have waited on the psp and released something in between the two systems (dual sticks, touchscreen, less powerful than vita) they wasted a bunch of good will on the psp, and over did it on the vita because it's more expensive than it needs to be to gain traction.

They should just drop the price to 179.99 or lower and include a memory stick. That's the only reason I bought one.

The first and last console I bought for no reason was The PS3.

I'm not getting a wiiU or Vita until there's good reason to. Its taken years to get over the sony love I developed over the ps1/ps2 era.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wouldn't you guys consider persona 4 golden to be a good reason to get a vita? Since that's what all of GAF has been talking about

P4G is a great game but it'll never stop being the same game people have already played.

Wouldn't you guys consider persona 4 golden to be a good reason to get a vita? Since that's what all of GAF has been talking about

I have never played a persona game. I try to avoid games that take up that much time. Dragon's Dogma dominated my free time for far too long, my gf was none too pleased.

Gorillaz

Ahhh idn't know P4 was already out before, thought it was just a vita thing.

ALso speaking of JRPG....FF13....wasn't that bad. I mean shit had me cringe a lot but....it was ok.

Onemic

For real though there hasn't been a good JRPG other than P4 in a long ass time.

Ahhh idn't know P4 was already out before, thought it was just a vita thing.

ALso speaking of JRPG....FF13....wasn't that bad. I mean shit had me cringe a lot but....it was ok.

Its an FF game, so compared to FF standards the game is terrible.

Onemic

There have been a lot of good jrpgs, most of them on handhelds. Japan moved from consoles to handhelds. Just next month, we're getting Etrian Odyssey 4 and Fire Emblem for 3ds, and later this year Dragon Quest VII and Shin Megami Tensei IV. There are still good jrpgs being made, just not on hd consoles.

At the very least, get Tales of Vesperia if you have the hd twins.

Even on handhelds though its pretty bad. JRPG's pretty much aren't available on the 3DS unless you import. I also don't consider Fire Emblem to be a JRPG as that's more of a strategy title more than anything else. The next few months do look promising, but I'm pretty pessimistic about JRPG's these days though, XIII hurt me too much.

Im hyped for SMTIV for 3DS though, but who knows when that will come to North America.

You know what I mean. Turn based games suck.

Yo, me and you are gonna have problems up in here. >:|

Internet's fucking up real bad, so depending on how shit it is I might sit this weeks podcast out.

Gorillaz

For real though there hasn't been a good JRPG other than P4 in a long ass time.

Its an FF game, so compared to FF standards the game is terrible.

There have been a lot of good jrpgs, most of them on handhelds. Japan moved from consoles to handhelds. Just next month, we're getting Etrian Odyssey 4 and Fire Emblem for 3ds, and later this year Dragon Quest VII and Shin Megami Tensei IV. There are still good jrpgs being made, just not on hd consoles.

At the very least, get Tales of Vesperia if you have the hd twins.

That is one reason why I haven't enjoyed this gen very much.

I only really played the FF games but I have never seen a genre like JRPG that basically got decimated like it did this gen. Other then handhelds they just seemed to have, disappeared.

I feel your pain JRPG fans lol

ReiGun

I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles right now and it's pretty great. Supposed to be long as fuck though (like 40 - 80 hours at least).

final_fantasy_iv.gif

I dont know how anyone could get exited over this.

Gorillaz

Well you could always play FF vs 13, since that's not turned based.

Oh Wait...

Anyone else have family who only watch black movies?

My mom is interested in Django. She never goes to the movies but every time a new black movie pops up in theaters she comes around asking about,"do you wanna see this?"

Guess my momma is racist. Oh momma.

Ehh, use to. A lot of my family has started to move on into watching different things instead of typical Tyler Perry movies. One step at a time I guess.

Turn based is the pinnacle of JRPG combat imo. Western RPG combat has it's place but having a party that you mix and match (and in some systems can utilize for synergy) is the best.

The best iterations of turn based right here:

Satch

Banned
persona 3 was a good game until i realized mitsuru-senpai wouldnt even notice me until november and then i decided to just watch her S.Link on youtube

much like DY and visiting his kids, aint nobody got time for dat

Did you just come at FF4 though?

Look, I've seen some awful shit said in this thread, and I've took it in stride. Even the KFC jabs I've managed to laugh off. But this...THIS is too much.

I just realized I have been arguing video games with a bunch of Vita supporters.......LOL

Niners baby. I hope the Pats beat the Ravens only to get shit on by the niners. The niners winning the superbowl and kicking the shit out of the pats would be the best day ever.

persona 3 was a good game until i realized mitsuru-senpai wouldnt even notice me until november and then i decided to just watch her S.Link on youtube

much like DY and visiting his kids, aint nobody got time for dat

Did you make a social link with the pervy guy who takes all your money?

Slayven

INSTRUCTOR NAME: The Spirit Of All Our Black Ancestors
COURSE NUMBER/COURSE TITLE: D’Jango Unchained In The African American Diaspora
TITLE OF ASSIGNMENT:

D’Jango Unchained Thesis

DESCRIPTION OF ASSIGNMENT:

All black people with anything higher than a high school diploma must construct some form of media about the social / societal ramifications of the movie Quentin Tarantino’s D’jango Unchained by the end of Black History Month. Those with multiple degrees or post college graduate education must submit longer forms of D’jango analysis.

PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT:

The purpose of this assignment is to verify your status in the African American diaspora by overly pontificating on the 2 hour and 45 minute Spaghetti Western involving one white man’s take on slavery as a background.
As a bonus you may also use this assignment to prove how much smarter and sophisticated you are than other negroes through your love / hatred or indifference of D’Jango Unchained.
Black people will also use this assignment to promote the viewing of other black cinema about slavery such as Roots, Amistad and Precious.

PROCESS:
• Make a list of preliminary Resources for this project.Preliminary Resources for this project include Roots, A Fistful of Dollars, Amistad, Precious, Madea Goes To Jail, Pariah, Red Hook Summer, The Color Purple and all Quentin Tarantino movies. You may also read books such as Roots, Beloved, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Madea Goes To Jail and Encyclopedia Brown.
• Read and Explore resources related to your project. Black people must read and explore resources related to your project or not read them but at least cite them as if you understand. For example:“Yeah yeah I get that the movie is supposed to be based off of Sergio Romero (Pronounced: Leone) films but it’s historically inaccurate.”“I know Spike Lee made Do The Right Thing but fuck that nigga. He ain’t made a good movie in 10 years!”• formulate a research question that you hope to answer. Questions such as:“Why is Spike Lee a bitch ass hater who don’t want to see a movie about slavery?”“Who the fuck does Dick Gregory think he is?”

“Which utterances of “nigger” were appropriate and which made you feel awkward?”

“How many white people were in your theater and did they laugh at the appropriate times?”

“Why wasn’t there more slavery in the film?”

“Why was there too much slavery in the film?”

“Why didn’t this film solve racism?”

“How did this film make up for 400 years of black oppression at the hands of white people?”

“Why was the n-word used so many times?”

“Why are all black people who disagree with you stupid sheep who can’t possibly have the same understanding and appreciation for blackness that you do?”

“Why should D’Jango Unchained be 100% accurate to all of the events that occurred during and around slavery?”

“Why should D’Jango Unchained be 100% accurate to all of the events that occurred during and around everything that’s ever happened to any black person ever at any point in time?”

“Why only sellouts and uncle Toms can’t get excited about seeing white slave masters get their comeuppance?”

“Is that one dude gay for holding Jamie Foxx’s dick?”

“Why they selling them dolls though?”

“How can a white man make this movie when Tyler Perry hasn’t even gotten a chance to make his historical opus on slavery yet?”
• create a first draft attempting to answer your question with sources or just anecdotal references from conversations at the beauty salon, barbershop, basketball court or any family get-together.
• revise the first draft for with more racial overtones and insults about anyone who potentially disagrees with your point of view.
• create an outline for your project as it stands
• revise again with more racial overtones and insults about anyone who potentially disagrees with your point of view
• edit for surface errors and mechanics and realize white people don’t even care about all this.
RESOURCES:

Other resources you should consider are people on Black Twitter with controversial opinions no matter how small their follower count is.
Black celebrities who have expressed their opinion of the film or racism in general.
White celebrities who have expressed their opinion of the film or racism in general.
Quentin Tarantino interview quotes.
Anecdotal accounts of racism in your personal life.
Quentin Tarantino’s commentary on the miniseries Roots, Spike Lee’s commentary on D’Jango Unchained, Jaime Foxx’s commentary on Spike Lee’s Commentary on D’Jango Unchained, Dick Gregory’s commentary on Spike Lee’s commentary, Toure’s D’jango article

LOGISTICS:
• This assignment is due by the end of black history month or you will have your blackness revoked.
• All forms of media must be as long enough for everyone to want to roll their eyes and change the subject all ready.
• This assignment is 50% of your blackness for 2013
• Format: Mp3, video or written
• Sources there is no limit or minimum for sources that must be used in this assignment. If you are black that is source enough to pontificate on the very idea of this film for hours.
• All people with degrees in African American Studies MUST complete this assignment or they will have their degrees revoked.

Top Bottom