• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Where you're from- America
Where you live- VA
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Not sure .
Do you know your roots- Nope, but I would like to learn more.
Your Age- 22
Favorite musical genre- (NIN and Kanye) I tend to favor metal and hiphop/rap. But if it's decent I will listen.
Your profession/major/career interest- lol, no idea which is starting to get me. It was graphic design.
Your religious affiliation- Not sure. I believe in a higher power but after that everything gets murky.
Hobbies- Video games, lurking gaf, producing , ect.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for so long that it's nice to be able to post. I figure I had to show my respect and give my first post to The Black Culture Thread. I apologize in advance for my horrible grammar and spelling. Reading some of these threads has been a riot.

Are there any good black hair care sites/forums?

Needing tips on making my hair grow more, as it's seemed to have stopped, same with my beard..so annoying

Also looking for other style tips. Also, does anyone have locks in this thread?

Imm0rt4l

Where you're from- America
Where you live- VA
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Not sure .
Do you know your roots- Nope, but I would like to learn more.
Your Age- 22
Favorite musical genre- (NIN and Kanye)I tend to favor metal and hiphop/rap. But if it's decent I will listen.
Your profession/major/career interest- lol, no ideal which is starting to get me. It was graphic design.
Your religious affiliation- Not sure. I believe in a higher power but after that everything gets murky.
Hobbies- Video games, lurking gaf, producing , ect.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for so long that it's nice to be able to post. I figure I had to show my respect and give my first post to The Black Culture Thread. I apologize in advance for my horrible grammar and spelling. Reading some of these threads has been a riot.

Welcome. I fucks with NIN as well, and pretty much anything Trent Reznor like How to destroy Angels.

Slayven

Black budget movies need to work on cinematography. Either the camera is damn near up the people's nose or 3 blocks away. Made watching Frankenhood a chore.

double jump

Thank you for the warm welcome. I actually got the name idea from seeing spindashing's user name.

Nakazato

These reality TV shows...

Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta
Real Housewives of Atlanta
This Real Mistresses of Atlanta shit.

And it doesn't help that a lot of ATL has developed a wannabe Hollywood mentality. These shows just help make it worse and I know more are coming.

I just don't like the area I grew up in being portrayed as nothing but a club hopper's paradise and a haven for stuck-up, no class having-ass women.

Ill say this ATL and NO are taking food from hollywoods mouths. The Tax breaks are allowing them to do amazing things. Such as Django (NO) and Walking dead (ATL/SAV).

BHZ Mayor

Random thought:

One thing that always kinda bugged me about the first Thugnificent episode of Boondocks was when Fat Man Scoop introduced "Eff Grandad" as "the first diss record against someone's family member." I know it's parody and I know what he was getting at, and it was probably intentional, but everybody is someone's family member meaning that the first diss ever would be the first diss against someone's family member.

We need some new blood. Good to have you. Just don't turn into another GJB.

That melt down was amazing.

Also, can someone point me to this meltdown?

double jump

Ill say this ATL and NO are taking food from hollywoods mouths. The Tax breaks are allowing them to do amazing things. Such as Django (NO) and Walking dead (ATL/SAV).

Are their a decent amount of jobs in the industry down there ?

double jump

Random thought:

One thing that always kinda bugged me about the first Thugnificent episode of Boondocks was when Fat Man Scoop introduced "Eff Grandad" as "the first diss record against someone's family member." I know it's parody and I know what he was getting at, and it was probably intentional, but everybody is someone's family member meaning that the first diss ever would be the first diss against someone's family member.

Maybe I used the wrong word choice ? But I remember some stuff going down.

Nakazato

Are their a decent amount of jobs in the industry down there ?

Very Much so. I thinking about moving there. My friend keeps telling me once your in here your in. People Crew up then you be called back with almost everyone from the same crew. Lots of features coming to NO like i thinking 25+ and 20+ coming to ATL this year and next. I mean when there are groups in LA that are begging the governor and mayor to give them a better tax breaks cause a lot of work is leaving.

Slayven

Random thought:

Any Avengers movie thread.

Very Much so. I thinking about moving there. My friend keeps telling me once your in here your in. People Crew up then you be called back with almost everyone from the same crew. Lots of features coming to NO like i thinking 25+ and 20+ coming to ATL this year and next. I mean when there are groups in LA that are begging the governor and mayor to give them a better tax breaks cause a lot of work is leaving.
Tyler Perry's bread and butter.

Samara

Are there any good black hair care sites/forums?

Needing tips on making my hair grow more, as it's seemed to have stopped, same with my beard..so annoying

Also looking for other style tips. Also, does anyone have locks in this thread?

Have you tried Coconut/Castor oil? works really good.
For Sites, I'd suggest Hairlista.com there's a lot of groups in there.
I don't have locks, but I do keep my hair in that style sometimes, but I just wash them with this
herbal-essences-hello-hydration.jpg

so when I flip my hair, then that ish smells good.

double jump

white privilege PSA thread

You know as long as I've been lurking I thought my eyes were open. But it seem now that I'm a member, gaf has lifted a veil where certain comments and posters seem even more ridiculous than they once did.

white privilege PSA thread

It's only a couple people making the same ol' defensive play when the idea of having some advantages comes up because they've deluded themselves into thinking their perspective is the only one that matters. And because privilege is invisible to those who have it and they don't care to listen to the plight of minorities, we're just making shit up.

WTF is the point of an ad like that, except piss white people off and add another notch on black people's self-hate belt. "Yep, you'll never have it bad as us, whitey"

As beautiful, musically-talented, incredibly athletic, often-imitated-but-never-duplicated, confident as shit mothafuckers we are, we sure do spend inordinate amount of time arguing about how much we suck.

Where you're from- West Los Angeles
Where you live- Pasadena, CA
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-Black and an unknown variety of things on mom's side. Straight up black on dad's side
Do you know your roots-Some. I should be receiving a family history on father's side this year. Planning to do DNA tests on mother's side.
Your Age-43
Favorite musical genre-American: blues, soul, jazz, rock, etc.
Your profession/major/career interest-Interpreter
Your religious affiliation-generally Buddhist
Hobbies- games, sports, music, politics, arguing, food, fixing stuff......

With that in the way of introductions, here is what's on my mind: Clarence Thomas.

I was chatting with a coworker about how the Supreme Court upheld the ACA, and how the usual suspects were against it. She suddenly launched into a bitter verbal assault on Clarence Thomas and how much of a (insert numerous unpleasant profanities here) for trying to sabotage our first Black president on his legislative accomplishment.

Now, I don't have a problem with Mr. Thomas being partisan...at lease not any more than I have with any of the SCJs being so nakedly partisan. Don't have a problem with his being conservative. I've heard and read that he's personally not a bad guy. But, he does come off as a bitter, angry man.

Where you're from- West Los Angeles
Where you live- Pasadena, CA
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-Black and an unknown variety of things on mom's side. Straight up black on dad's side
Do you know your roots-Some. I should be receiving a family history on father's side this year. Planning to do DNA tests on mother's side.
Your Age-43
Favorite musical genre-American: blues, soul, jazz, rock, etc.
Your profession/major/career interest-Interpreter
Your religious affiliation-generally Buddhist
Hobbies- games, sports, music, politics, arguing, food, fixing stuff......

With that in the way of introductions, here is what's on my mind: Clarence Thomas.

I was chatting with a coworker about how the Supreme Court upheld the ACA, and how the usual suspects were against it. She suddenly launched into a bitter verbal assault on Clarence Thomas and how much of a (insert numerous unpleasant profanities here) for trying to sabotage our first Black president on his legislative accomplishment.

Now, I don't have a problem with Mr. Thomas being partisan...at lease not any more than I have with any of the SCJs being so nakedly partisan. Don't have a problem with his being conservative. I've heard and read that he's personally not a bad guy. But, he does come off as a bitter, angry man.

^ Welcome homeslice. What languages do you speak?

As for Mr. Thomas, I disagree with the vast majority of his views, but he's useful for that occasional "all blacks for Obama" argument.

WTF is the point of an ad like that, except piss white people off and add another notch on black people's self-hate belt. "Yep, you'll never have it bad as us, whitey"

As beautiful, musically-talented, incredibly athletic, often-imitated-but-never-duplicated, confident as shit mothafuckers we are, we sure do spend inordinate amount of time arguing about how much we suck.

gonna guess that no black people were involved in making that ad.

^ Welcome homeslice. What languages do you speak?

As for Mr. Thomas, I disagree with the vast majority of his views, but he's useful for that occasional "all blacks for Obama" argument.

I interpreter in ASL. In Spanish, I know just enough to know when you're calling me unkind things.

The thing about Thomas.... see, Black America will claim Obama, obviously. But we'd also claim Colin Powell. We'd claim Condi Rice. Political differences aside, there is a general respect for Powell and Rice (for example)

I don't know if SCJ Thomas gets that much leeway. He might be out there on his own. Maybe that's part of why he's some damned snarly all the time.

Top Bottom