• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Watched Good Hair last night with my girl. She was blown away, there was so much she had no clue about that was common knowledge to me. So far we have watched (re-watched for me):

Good Hair
Do The Right Thing
Jungle Fever
Black Dynamite
A Tyler Perry flick

..in that order. As you can see I am slowly easing her into heavier stuff, going to get The Color Purple in there somewhere. I will probably finish up with something like Roots and Rosewood. There really should be like a blog Required Reading for Interracial Relationships lol.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Watched Good Hair last night with my girl. She was blown away, there was so much she had no clue about that was common knowledge to me. So far we have watched (re-watched for me):

Good Hair
Do The Right Thing
Jungle Fever
Black Dynamite
A Tyler Perry flick

..in that order. As you can see I am slowly easing her into heavier stuff, going to get The Color Purple in there somewhere. I will probably finish up with something like Roots and Rosewood. There really should be like a blog Required Reading for Interracial Relationships lol.

A tyler perry flick?

Good Hair
Do The Right Thing
Jungle Fever
Black Dynamite
A Tyler Perry flick

Which Tyler Perry flick?

I would consider slipping Malcom X and Bamboozled in there as well.

A tyler perry flick?
Why did I get Married one and too. Which she really enjoyed.
I would consider slipping Malcom X and Bamboozled in there as well.
Great recommendations. She loves Denzel so Malcolm X would be good but Bamboozled might go over her head a bit, I probably would have to explain some of the less obvious points of the plot. She isn't from here so she doesn't even know what blackface is.

Slayven

Great recommendations. She loves Denzel so Malcolm X would be good but Bamboozled might go over her head a bit, I probably would have to explain some of the less obvious points of the plot. She isn't from here so she doesn't even know what blackface is.

Watch it with the Perry flicks, she will start looking for that lightskinned brother to come solve all her problems.

Jathaine

Good Hair
Do The Right Thing
Jungle Fever
Black Dynamite
A Tyler Perry flick

This is exactly what I need. I'm actually trying to get with this female right now but she clearly has no clue about black culture... stuff that seems so obvious to me flies right past her.
She didn't even understand the pic of a 40oz of malt liquor in response to someone asking what makes a good BBQ... like, at all.

Maybe that's not as 'common knowledge' as I thought but I figured everyone would get that so figured she'd get a kick out of it but that totally backfired as I had to try to explain the joke. I already know that if I do get with her... I'm gonna need to bring her up to speed.

So you wanna finish up with hating your girlfriend (and all white people) for about a week.
After a few experiences together I don't think she is the biggest fan of white people at the moment, curious to see if she will actually be able to finish Rosewood.

Watch it with the Perry flicks, she will start looking for that lightskinned brother to come solve all her problems.
That's ok I am/was fairly caramel (pre-Key West).

This is exactly what I need. I'm actually trying to get with this female right now but she clearly has no clue about black culture... stuff that seems so obvious to me flies right past her.
She didn't even understand the pic of a 40oz of malt liquor in response to someone asking what makes a good BBQ... like, at all.

Maybe that's not as 'common knowledge' as I thought but I figured everyone would get that so figured she'd get a kick out of it but that totally backfired as I had to try to explain the joke. I already know that if I do get with her... I'm gonna need to bring her up to speed.
You would be surprised how many things are cultural that other people have no clue about. My uncle literally had no idea what a Loufa was lol.

RedSwirl

Good Hair
Do The Right Thing
Jungle Fever
Black Dynamite
A Tyler Perry flick

I actually haven't seen most of those but I've seen enough of the staples. Good Hair was actually mind-blowing for me. Made me start to mistrust every girl I knew.

Oh she's not American? Well that kind of explains things.

Mandingo
?

I actually haven't seen most of those but I've seen enough of the staples. Good Hair was actually mind-blowing for me. Made me start to mistrust every girl I knew.
Never lived with a black woman??

Oh she's not American? Well that kind of explains things.
Mandingo
?

She's an american citizen but her dad was in the army so she was raised in Turkey.

She sees that every night.

Jathaine

L0slI.jpg

Because you're on fire.

#swag

Also, sort of along this topic, I had my girlfriend watch Juice and New Jack City with me yesterday. I mean, I don't know if those would be on any "required viewing" list...but I just wanted to show her the hood, I guess.

Until I get this out of my system, we're gonna watch all the classics - Menace 2 Society and Boyz N The Hood are next!

Imm0rt4l

Never lived with a black woman??

She's an american citizen but her dad was in the army so she was raised in Turkey.

How's learning Turkish treating you? I'm taking a stab at french, I always thought English was anicquated, but French is just archaic as fuck. Should've done Japanese or something.

#swag

Also, sort of along this topic, I had my girlfriend watch Juice and New Jack City with me yesterday. I mean, I don't know if those would be on any "required viewing" list...but I just wanted to show her the hood, I guess.

Until I get this out of my system, we're gonna watch all the classics - Menace 2 Society and Boyz N The Hood are next!

Speaking of hood classics, I only saw Fresh earlier this year. Why didn't anyone tell me about this movie?

Because you're on fire.

lol you guys.
How's learning Turkish treating you? I'm taking a stab at french, I always thought English was anicquated, but French is just archaic as fuck. Should've done Japanese or something.

Ok, she teaches me little words here and there. From my experience it seems as though Spanish and French are the only languages that sound hotter than English during sex lol.
#swag

Yeah she sees enough of that hood shit from TV and music so I really am steering her away from that. Especially here in FL where it's really bad, I was one of the 1st non-ghetto black person she met.

Slayven

lol you guys.

Ok, she teaches me little words here and there. From my experience it seems as though Spanish and French are the only languages that sound hotter than English during sex lol.

Yeah she sees enough of that hood shit from TV and music so I really am steering her away from that. Especially here in FL where it's really bad, I was one of the 1st non-ghetto black person she met.

Watch "Don't be a menace" with her.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
*sigh*

Why does the hood have to be so... hood? Dumb shit like this pisses me off, especially when I have family that doesn't live too far from where this happened.

http://www.startribune.com/local/160378955.html

Her 5-year-old son slain in a brazen shooting Tuesday morning, Christina Banks rocked back and forth, her thumb pushing picture after picture of him across the screen of her phone.

"I want my baby," she cried Tuesday evening, sitting on the front lawn of the north Minneapolis house where her son, Nezzel Banks, was shot. "They took my hero," Banks said. "They took my 5-year-old hero. Are they happy now?"

Several bullets crashed through the living room of the home in the 4500 block of Bryant Avenue N., about 8:35 a.m., according to police. One hit Nezzel in the back as he slept on a couch.

The shooter had been standing across the street and ran off after spraying the house with gunfire as part of what police called an "ongoing dispute" involving two groups of people.

"We've had quite a few people come forward [with information]," said Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan, "and we need more."

Neighborhood tensions were running high in the hours after Nezzel's death, with some people in the neighborhood claiming to know who killed him. Several people pointed to a house two blocks away, saying that someone from the house either knew the killer or was behind the shooting. Police records show that the house in the 4500 block of Camden Avenue N., just two blocks east of where Nezzel was killed, was fired upon at 11:50 p.m. Monday by someone standing on the sidewalk. No one inside the house was injured, even though several bullets struck the house, according to police records.

Parallax

Watch Fear of a Black Hat after all of those other movies.

I need to see this again. So much fucking gold. The Asian woman getting attacked by the black woman over vocal talent was hilarious.

Check out cb4 too. If only for I'm black y'all.

Jathaine

Speaking of movies though, I'm sorely lacking in my blaxplotation education.
What are some of the really 'good' blaxplotation movies? I know for damn sure I'm going to check out Boss Nigger, but what else do I just need to see?

ecurbj

Guys I want to get this off my chest. Weird shit but here goes.

My pops (white/puerto rican) and mom dukes (black) split up when I was 1 years old. I'm 24 now. All I know is my mom side of the story on why they split. I don't know anything about my Pops side of the family other than his mom was Polish and his father was Puerto Rican. The reason my Mom split up with him was because he was an alcoholic and she wanted both of them to move on to a Christian path. Which he didn't want to do.

I do remember and it's sick. I didn't want to say this to anyone because it was embarrassing to say and see people's response. But after my Mom split up with my Father he then talked to one of my Mom's sisters. They got into a relationship and a cousin/brother was the outcome. Well my Mom was forgiving to my Aunt but not my Father. My Aunt took it upon herself to allow my cousin/brother to have a relationship with our Father because my Mom refused me to have any time with my Pops. So my cousin/brother was the one that had the more experience and Father figure in his life rather than me. My father would give little gifts and notes to my cousin/brother to give to me when we were kids but my Mom would take it and throw it out. Crazy shit guys I know.

I recently went in the basement of our house and found all the pictures of me as a baby and shit and him and my Mom. Good pics.

Well just a week ago my cousin/brother told me to search his name on Facebook and told me to add him. So I did and saw him on there. Weird, so I message him and he writes these long ass paragraphs about how he misses me and shit. He then gives me his number to call him. Well I didn't that day because I feel like I don't owe him anything.

I want to talk to him because I want to know my family tree and have my biological father in my life. I don't need anything from him financially but my father in my life to have a somewhat relationship. Because I don't want to live in regret for the rest of my life knowing I had the chance to talk to him and having his number and I didn't take advantage of the situation.

Has anyone been in this predictament before. And how should I go about it. I haven't told my Mom that I recently contacted him. She is very understanding after we had this talk about me wanting to see my Pops a year ago.

I don't know what to do though.

Jathaine

What do you have to lose? What reason do you have not to contact him?
I mean, he's clearly been trying to be a part of your life so I don't think he's trying to get to you to 'use' you for anything.

At least give a relationship with him a chance even if it is kinda 'late'.

If anything starts to feel uncomfortable you can always back away but there's no reason not to at least put yourself out there.

Its a damn shame that black comedies from back in the day (house party, coming to america, etc, etc) shits on the recent ones. Black comedies theses day all seem to follow the same routine, shit is sad. Also what is the name of that movie with Braxton from The Jaime Foxx show acting like an gangsta. It had Pam Grier, and Jim Brown in it

Mr. Patch

I want to hit the creator of "The Real Mistresses of Atlanta" in his nuts with a brick.

I used to like seeing Atlanta and the surrounding areas on TV but this shit has gotten out of hand.

Guys I want to get this off my chest. Weird shit but here goes.

My pops (white/puerto rican) and mom dukes (black) split up when I was 1 years old. I'm 24 now. All I know is my mom side of the story on why they split. I don't know anything about my Pops side of the family other than his mom was Polish and his father was Puerto Rican. The reason my Mom split up with him was because he was an alcoholic and she wanted both of them to move on to a Christian path. Which he didn't want to do.

I do remember and it's sick. I didn't want to say this to anyone because it was embarrassing to say and see people's response. But after my Mom split up with my Father he then talked to one of my Mom's sisters. They got into a relationship and a cousin/brother was the outcome. Well my Mom was forgiving to my Aunt but not my Father. My Aunt took it upon herself to allow my cousin/brother to have a relationship with our Father because my Mom refused me to have any time with my Pops. So my cousin/brother was the one that had the more experience and Father figure in his life rather than me. My father would give little gifts and notes to my cousin/brother to give to me when we were kids but my Mom would take it and throw it out. Crazy shit guys I know.

I recently went in the basement of our house and found all the pictures of me as a baby and shit and him and my Mom. Good pics.

Well just a week ago my cousin/brother told me to search his name on Facebook and told me to add him. So I did and saw him on there. Weird, so I message him and he writes these long ass paragraphs about how he misses me and shit. He then gives me his number to call him. Well I didn't that day because I feel like I don't owe him anything.

I want to talk to him because I want to know my family tree and have my biological father in my life. I don't need anything from him financially but my father in my life to have a somewhat relationship. Because I don't want to live in regret for the rest of my life knowing I had the chance to talk to him and having his number and I didn't take advantage of the situation.

Has anyone been in this predictament before. And how should I go about it. I haven't told my Mom that I recently contacted him. She is very understanding after we had this talk about me wanting to see my Pops a year ago.

I don't know what to do though.

Talk to him at the very least. Get some closure. It's possible he matured a bit, saw the error of his ways and wants to reconnect. Of course that's up to you. Take it slow. This shit's complicated. MY ex is still estranged from his own father and my mother doesn't even know her birth parents but I'm sure they would still love the chance to just talk to them.

Mr. Patch

What do you mean?

These reality TV shows...

Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta
Real Housewives of Atlanta
This Real Mistresses of Atlanta shit.

And it doesn't help that a lot of ATL has developed a wannabe Hollywood mentality. These shows just help make it worse and I know more are coming.

I just don't like the area I grew up in being portrayed as nothing but a club hopper's paradise and a haven for stuck-up, no class having-ass women.

Parallax

Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta

And it doesn't help that a lot of ATL has developed a wannabe Hollywood mentality. These shows just help make it worse and I know more are coming.

I'm not sure how it makes it worse. I'm missing something.

Ahh, I see with the edit.

Love & Hip-Hop Atlanta

I just don't like the area I grew up in being portrayed as nothing but a club hopper's paradise and a haven for stuck-up, no class having-ass women.

i'm sure that people in NJ feel the same way.

Top Bottom