• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

It's only a couple people making the same ol' defensive play when the idea of having some advantages comes up because they've deluded themselves into thinking their perspective is the only one that matters. And because privilege is invisible to those who have it and they don't care to listen to the plight of minorities, we're just making shit up.

I thought you were White, Devolution.

Is that incorrect?

DominoKid

Growing an afro for the foreseeable future.

Not by choice either.

I need some stuff to make it look good and keep my scalp from being ridiculously dandruffy.

RedSwirl

Growing an afro for the foreseeable future.

Not by choice either.

I need some stuff to make it look good and keep my scalp from being ridiculously dandruffy.

Still trying to solve my own hair conundrum.

I've maintained a min-fro for years because my hair grows too fast to keep a skin fade for very long. But now that I'll probably go back to the skin fade soon, I can't find a black barbershop close enough. I don't wanna trust my hair to just anyone, and I don't wanna have to drive 45 minutes out every other week.

Trying to ask every brother in town where he get's his haircut, and I'm starting to meet people who just do it themselves.

Slayven

Baby Boy on VH1 is hilarious. They pretty much dubbed the movie. Ving Rhymes screaming about a brother confused me until I realized they changed it for the N word

Damn, I forgot how sexy Jodie's momma was in Baby's Boy. Very athletic since she's a fitness coach, but not in a masculine way at all. She was so cute back in House Party, too.

tumblr_lpa7ozCsxP1qfloj5o1_500.jpg

Man, House Party. Whenever I watch that movie, all my higher level critical sensiablities go out the way and I just let the nostaglia wash over me. So much of that stuff rings true, like how my dad would always go upside my head after I went hang out with my friends, or that stupid ass Kid'n'play dance me and my cousin always do to this day, or how you always just made Kool-Aid without the measuring cup

kool_aid.jpg

A very fun movie, easily the best thing Reginald Hudlin's been involved with

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Have any black directors made sci-fi or horror movies? Random ass question that's been floating across my mind as of recent.

Oldschoolgamer

I'm generally curious to see how that's going to turn out, if only because of the movie that's probably going to have the biggest influence over it.

I've been trying to pen up a sci-fi/horror or horror title for a while, but have been struggling, due to thinking about how some of the greats that made my favorites handled it.

Also wanted to be the first to do it. Fucking Tyler yo. lol

ReiGun

Nice to see Tyler branching out and trying to grow in his art. Can't say I have high hopes for his sci-fi project, but I'm not gonna knock a brother for trying to grow. And seeing more black folk in sci-fi movies would be great.

Sidenote: Tyler Perry has the creepiest smile.

Oldschoolgamer

Nice to see Tyler branching out and trying to grow in his art. Can't say I have high hopes for his sci-fi project, but I'm not gonna knock a brother for trying to grow. And seeing more black folk in sci-fi movies would be great.

Word on both accounts. His smile is evil villain(ish) in nature.

hwalker84

So many other Black actors who could've commanded this role. He looks horrible in the trailer.

So this is the first time I've heard of Tyler perry.

Talking of Sci-Fi

zfcps8vjjy6dd6j.jpg

This lad Roger R. Cross seems to pop up in about all of them at some point.

Welp, I think I chose the wrong time to grow out my hair abit. It's hot outside, and my small fro is getting kinky and dry as hell.

Any solutions, Black-Gaf? I don't really feel like cutting it flat or getting a fade.

They have a "Hip-Hop Squares" now. should be shaking my head, but someone said, after an answer: "yo don't pick if you don't fuckin' trust me."

:lol

Top Bottom