• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Having lived in the South, West coast, East coast and mid-west, I'll say I have personally seen and heard the most racist, sexist and homophobic stuff in the South. By far. In most places I've been to, such talk was the realm of hushed dinner conversations and heated arguments. In Dallas and west Texas, bigotry of all types was right behind the very thin veil of 'Southern Hospitality'. People tell me things are better in Houston and other places, and I take their word on it, but the reputation isn't completely unearned.

And what's a Viewtiful Joe? Can I get it on my PSVita?

RedSwirl

Hooker man. God damn.

You guys remind me I need to finish Persona 4. Chie seems like a ride or die chick, but hotel chick seems like she would be a better wifey.

Yeah that's pretty much been the consensus. Don't know why Chie is so popular though.

I'd be mad at this if Yosuke weren't such a bro.

Yosuke > Junpei. Fight me.

We agree for once!

huXk7.png

My mom just did the same thing, only I was out. I come home, and oh...there she is. With that delicious, homophobic chicken just as I type this.

Fuck

Yep. I was holding out hope we just went because we had nothing else for lunch. But I asked my mom if we went because of the support day and she said yep. I really felt guilty.

My mom just did the same thing, only I was out. I come home, and oh...there she is. With that delicious, homophobic chicken just as I type this.

Fuck

=/. No offense to your moms but some things aren't going to change for a couple generations I think. I think in 10-20 or when the baby boomers and the gen right after start dying off, we'll see less bigotry and more acceptance of homosexuality. Plus our generation is far less religious.

My momma is the greatest in the world, but I'd be lying if I said she wasn't Super-Christian like and thinks homosexuals need love and help for their sinful lifestyles. She knows how I feel about shit like that, and we've accepted that our opinions just aren't gonna change on the matter and try not to talk about it.

Of course, those acting as if the souths disappearance will render racism irrelevant as we enter the glorious age of post-racial Obama are delusional. Racism is everywhere. And Boston. At the same time though, you can't deny that racism in the south happens at a disproportionally higher rate compared to racism in other parts of the states.
as a new yorker, i might be biased, but boston is worse than the south.

My momma is the greatest in the world, but I'd be lying if I said she wasn't Super-Christian like and thinks homosexuals need love and help for their sinful lifestyles. She knows how I feel about shit like that, and we've accepted that our opinions just aren't gonna change on the matter and try not to talk about it.

My parents are the same way.No matter how much I tell them gay marriage doesn't afect them they still cant accept it.

I'm just glad my parents aren't this way, not to rub it in your face or anything. I always feel bad for people who love their parents but cannot reconcile their beliefs.

My mom doesn't care about politics much, always said she could never relate to people who shun their friends or family for being gay and would never do it herself.

My dad thinks its wrong and we had plenty of conversations about it.

The most recent convo ended in hilarious fashion. We were talking about if the word "fag" was offensive or not. Which sides of the argument we were on should be obvious.

He kept pounding away on the point that it "was just a word" and after failing to reason with him I took a bit of a low but effective road.

and after his passionate rant about it being just a word I responded with "I guess you're right, wetback." The shock and shame on his face was otherworldly and in that moment I think he gained some understanding. My younger sister burst into laughter too.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Persona 4 is probably the best JRPG to come out in years...

and goddamnit satch i don't need to be in love right now

The Adder

Banned
Where you're from- Originally Seattle, but I'm a military brat. Went from there to Virginia, to Alabama, back to Virginia. Stayed in Springfield for the most time, so I guess I'm from there.

Where you live- I've come full circle back to Seattle

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- My mom's side of the family is mainly from Mississippi (although my mother's grandfather's great great grandfather was apparently Irish). My dad's? Couldn't tell you. I know his grandmother was apparently 100% Choctaw though.

Do you know your roots- Only on my mom's side, and only a little bit. My grandmother on my father's side once said Michael Jai White is my cousin, but I don't know if that's true.

Your Age- 23

Favorite musical genre- Can't pick. Even country's good as long as you're not taking it straight. But classic soul is home for me, as that's what my mom brought me up on.

Your profession/major/career interest- Unpublished writer. Had a project in which I was writing a short story per week, but I stopped in order to try to pound out my first novel.

Your religious affiliation- Christian of the non-specific variety. Not a fan of preaching hate.

Hobbies- Oh your standard GAF fare. Reading, writing, gaming, internetting.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
welcome, nice to see another new face.

not really related but as a junior I feel like I'm in the trenches just trying to survive.

Top Bottom