• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
And another thing - the whole "good at sports" perk is also accompanied by "too dumb to do anything else". Its not hard to think of most of the negatives that pair with the 'positives' of the go-to stereotypes.

I don't really agree. If I say that Asians and/or Jewish people are particularly smart, for example, that is a positive stereotype. But the implication is obvious and inescapable: other people (blacks/latinos/etc) are, by comparison, particularly unintelligent. If I say that black people are good at sports, I'm also implicitly saying that asians and white people are worse at sports.

There are very few "positive" stereotypes that do not imply negative ones, because we live in a relativistic universe.

I disagree since the so called positive stereotypes still reflect badly on those who do not fit them. Do you think every black person loves the assumption that they played hoops or they're at college under a sport's scholarship? Every other day some fuckhead asks Timedog if he played basketball.

Aw man, to go back to high school when everyone assumed a 6'4'' black guy was a basketball player, and were shunned when it turns out they aren't, or they were "tall for nothing".

Not that I know what the feels like or anything

*is 6'5'' black guy*

Aw man, to go back to high school when everyone assumed a 6'4'' black guy was a basketball player, and were shunned when it turns out they aren't, or they were "tall for nothing".

Not that I know what the feels like or anything

*is 6'5'' black guy*

You're 6'5? Damn, I thought you were short. No real reason, though.

It sucks that the two most prominent stereotypes for Mexicans are polar opposites.

Hard working and lazy. Whichever rate a racist assess my work ethic to be it's compatible to their stereotype. Even if I was average I could be seen as over or under achieving and thus back into hardworking or lazy categories again.

It's odd.

I ain't lying, the black girl Gymnast probably acts like a boogee prude.
LLShC.gif

Huh?

DominoKid

So what do you do when your boss hates you and questions your character to your coworkers with absolutely no basis?

Ive been accused of stealing money and smoking weed at work among other things. Im not perfect but its not like I do anything to seem as untrustworthy as she thinks i am.

Im glad my coworkers like me enough to give me a heads up on all the things my boss has said/asked about me.

And after these last two weeks are over and i go home im honestly planning on emailing the owner about why i wont be coming back to work at the company next summer.

I dont think its a race thing but it just feels targeted considering im the only black person there.

So what do you do when your boss hates you and questions your character to your coworkers with absolutely no basis?

Ive been accused of stealing money and smoking weed at work among other things. Im not perfect but its not like I do anything to seem as untrustworthy as she thinks i am.

Im glad my coworkers like me enough to give me a heads up on all the things my boss has said/asked about me.

And after these last two weeks are over and i go home im honestly planning on emailing the owner about why i wont be coming back to work at the company next summer.

I dont think its a race thing but it just feels targeted considering im the only black person there.

Call Human Resources. That's the best thing you can do if you want to get back at him and keep your job. You should also start looking for other places to work, just in case.

DominoKid

Call Human Resources. That's the best thing you can do if you want to get back at him and keep your job. You should also start looking for other places to work, just in case.

Its just a summer job so theres no HR.
And ill be going back to school.
But id at least like the owner to know why im not coming back next summer because he seems the type of person who cares a lot about the perception of his company.

Onemic

I'm 6"1, my father is 6"5, my grandfather was 6"4.

:(

Well I guess I should happy I'm even 6'0. My mom is 5'3 and my dad is 5'8. No one in my family is above 5'10, but somehow I'm 6'0 and my brother is 6'2. Along with my cousin who is also 6'0 we're the only 6'0+ people in my extended family.

But honestly whenever I see someone who is taller than me I secretly give them a big fuck you.

Imm0rt4l

wow poor y'all. 6 foot. so short.....

seriously

cry me a river build a bridge and get the fuck over it....

<---- 5'10

I find I'm really attracted to girls who are like 5'11 though. dat tall glass of wao-duh, I saw pretty tall young thang at the gym just today, I almost felt compelled to approach her, but that's fucking weird.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man, fuck yall tall ass dudes complaining. Ole, I don't need extra inches to reach the top kitchen cabinet ass dudes.*waves middle finger from booster seat*

I'm 5'7 and content with my height though. Tall enough for some shorter women and short enough for some tall ones.

Top Bottom