• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Slayven

I
am
a poet of beats.

I
didn't
choose beats
they chose me.

I feel like he needs to hook up with Pen and Pixel.

With each post more and more comes out. By the end I am scared "So the cops told her to tell me I can't wear her skin like a coat. They are trying to imprison me."

Shit I can't even fake talk like that.

How do we know that man in the hospital didn't have super strength?

Got to give the benefit of the doubt to the racist who shoots people in the face. Guilty until proven innocent even as the victim, what the fuck.

Onemic

Sometimes weird threads make you think. For some reason that white people problems thread is making me think. At first I said there was no way it was racist, but now I'm not sure and keep changing my opinion. It is stereotyping at the very least.

Onemic

I feel like people have no sense of context anymore.

This is my main thing with those types of comments. They are sensitive to the context they're used in. Of course more negative stereotypes are going to be offensive in even wider contexts. That particular case, I don't see anything negative with what he said.

Sometimes Gaf makes me think I'm cray.

Slayven

This is my main thing with those types of comments. They are sensitive to the context they're used in. Of course more negative stereotypes are going to be offensive in even wider contexts. That particular case, I don't see anything negative with what he said.

I bet dude was half laughing when he said it. Gaf can make you paranoid.

Onemic

Real talk, what is the meaning of racism? As I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. At least most of GAF doesn't seem to know.

The Adder

Banned
after the whole CFA debacle and stuff like this i give up trying to talk about things like this.

facing ignorance is just too much a sisyphean task.

There are the willfully ignorant, and there are those that are simply uninformed. I like to think engaging the willfully ignorant informs the uninformed.

Satch

Banned
YALL BETTA STAN FOR GABBY DOUGLAS

YALL

BETTA

STAN

tumblr_m85qyotV0a1qatvejo1_500.jpg

That's what the Olympics are all about, Dogg. Getting hyped up for people/teams/sports you didn't even know existed until this year, and will promptly forget about soon after.

The Olympics are like glorious one-night stands, not the crazy love-hate relationship that real sports fans go through with their favorite teams.

That's what the Olympics are all about, Dogg. Getting hyped up for people/teams/sports you didn't even know existed until this year, and will promptly forget about soon after.

The Olympics are like glorious one-night stands, not the crazy love-hate relationship that real sports fans go through with their favorite teams.

True. It's just funny when people are like omg I love water polo when the US wins but never even knew about it before.

ReiGun

Pretty much. I'm here to root for Team USA and once this is over, I'm gone.

Plus, I used to watch the Olympics as a kid. I wanted to be a gold medalist, but I never liked actually playing sports enough. lol

On Gabby some people just don't let anything be good. On twitter I saw people talking shit about how her hair was messed up. Another girl said it looked too European. This is why we can't have good things.

Opiate

I don't really agree. If I say that Asians and/or Jewish people are particularly smart, for example, that is a positive stereotype. But the implication is obvious and inescapable: other people (blacks/latinos/etc) are, by comparison, particularly unintelligent. If I say that black people are good at sports, I'm also implicitly saying that asians and white people are worse at sports.

There are very few "positive" stereotypes that do not imply negative ones, because we live in a relativistic universe.

I think that's why Best/Worst-of lists go hand in hand. Any time you make a ranking of anything as the best, you are simultaneously in the process of ranking the worst.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't really agree. If I say that Asians and/or Jewish people are particularly smart, for example, that is a positive stereotype. But the implication is obvious and inescapable: other people (blacks/latinos/etc) are, by comparison, particularly unintelligent. If I say that black people are good at sports, I'm also implicitly saying that asians and white people are worse at sports.

There are very few "positive" stereotypes that do not imply negative ones, because we live in a relativistic universe.

And in the same breath that's really disingenuous because of all the "little asian nerd" "conniving jews" that is tied directly to that. Many stereotypes have a lot more depth than some realize. So when someone on the receiving end encounters that stereotype, they won't always (nor should they) accept just the positive behind it.

Why did you edit?

Top Bottom