• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well I guess you could say tithing is kind of like tipping God 10%, compared to human servers getting 15%. Oh Lord, I just thought of a terrible thread idea.

Please do this. I will support you in every possible way.

On another topic...I hit up the Jamaican 50th year of independence shindig this weekend in Surrey (suburb of Vancouver). You don't know FOOD until you know Jamaican FOOD. It's been two days and I can still feel jerk spices emanating from my skin. Salivating just thinking about it.

ZqAGK.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hq4Mes8Zg&feature=player_embedded

K5FVM.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
She's 5 foot 5 and 137 pounds, I expected her to be taller. Need to see her next to other Olympians, for comparison sake ...for science.

Shorty with a mean bubble..... Nice to know.

In the best scenario she would stand next to the shorty with a mean bubble GOAT Tahiry for comparison sake.... Also for the sake of Science and considering all the curves involved Likely Calculus as well.

Onemic

I really wanna get Persona 4 arena. I might just cave.

was expecting remember the time, Michael Jackson, shame on me. I still remember when that video premiered.

That is one of the greatest music videos of all time. I actually like the video more than thriller.

MJ was literally the first artist I ever knew of, I remember getting a VHS with all his music videos plus that random Michael Jackson movie when I was like 6. I was hooked.

That is one of the greatest music videos of all time. I actually like the video more than thriller.

MJ was literally the first artist I ever knew of, I remember getting a VHS with all his music videos plus that random Michael Jackson movie when I was like 6. I was hooked.

I remember when the premiere of MJ videos were like national news.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
That is one of the greatest music videos of all time.

same. I just recently got back into his music. king of pop lol more like pop god.

Imm0rt4l

Please do this. I will support you in every possible way.

On another topic...I hit up the Jamaican 50th year of independence shindig this weekend in Surrey (suburb of Vancouver). You don't know FOOD until you know Jamaican FOOD. It's been two days and I can still feel jerk spices emanating from my skin. Salivating just thinking about it.

I haven't had any Jamaican Jerk in years. Speaking of which my old room mate a Bahamian cat was always bigging up conch, never had it.

I haven't had any Jamaican Jerk in years. Speaking of which my old room mate a Bahamian cat was always bigging up conch, never had it.

Conch is good. It's like squid or chewy shrimp, but without much of the fishy aftertaste. I don't like seafood in general, but I had some conch fritters a while back and they were delicious.

Mr. Patch

In light of Dawn Harper's and Kellie Wells' recent comments, I can't help but feel there is an undercurrent of colorism in how they are being perceived.

Am I the only one who little kids always want to talk to and ask questions? It's always awkward when a little white kid is talking to me and their parents are looking like I'm going to kidnap them.

Some little kid kept talking with me because I was wearing a Captain America shirt and he just loved that Avengers movie. And I'm sitting here at Freebirds try to enjoy this burrito, and kids don't get that body language of "Hey, fuck off", so half-assed conversation was the name of the game that day.

Mr. Patch

I am so glad they went in on her, and in such awesome way too.

Me too, kinda. They pretty much said what I was thinking.

I feel like some people criticizing them refuse to look at it from their perspective. I'm pretty sure most people would feel some kind of way if a person they beat in an Olympic race (in Harper's case, multiple races) got tons more media love than them while they barely get any notice.

Hell, Harper won the gold in 2008 and the whole story was about Lolo. Why was Lolo on the Today Show and not the ones who earned a medal?

I can't call it hating when they have a point.

Slayven

Am I the only one who little kids always want to talk to and ask questions? It's always awkward when a little white kid is talking to me and their parents are looking like I'm going to kidnap them.

I get that too, I was outside a Borders once a little white boy ran up to me and started talking to me like he knew me.

Kids like me for whatever reason. I just give 'em a stare most of the time and they get the message.

Kreed

Me too, kinda. They pretty much said what I was thinking.

I feel like some people criticizing them refuse to look at it from their perspective. I'm pretty sure most people would feel some kind of way if a person they beat in an Olympic race (in Harper's case, multiple races) got tons more media love than them while they barely get any notice.

Hell, Harper won the gold in 2008 and the whole story was about Lolo. Why was Lolo on the Today Show and not the ones who earned a medal?

I can't call it hating when they have a point.

They did have all three medal winners on the Today Show today, but they gave Lolo way more air time to cover the New York Times article bashing her, and the three medal winners were in the same interview vs Lolo having her own separate interview.

Regardless they were definitely right to vent their frustrations but I feel they need to go more at NBC and less at Lolo. NBC and their "Team USA narratives" are one of the reasons I've disliked their coverage overall (minus their online feeds where there are no commentators running their mouths). They pick out people they want to tell stories about prior/during events and when their "winners" lose, they adjust their narratives and try to make it up (example: Allyson Felix's coverage before she got 5th in the 100m vs Carmelita Jeter's coverage).

double jump

edit: just realized how this sounds.

Top Bottom