• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

ReiGun

Anybody see that McKayla chick act like a sore loser the other night, she was right next to the gold medal winner and barely made a move to accept a hug from her..... classless
?

then the bronze winner went in to hug her and she straight up IGNORED her.
bitch-face.gif

no%20salt.jpg

Understandable though. It's the Olympics.

If a Black person did somethin like that it woulda been a shitstorm, white girl does it its "oh she's such a driven competitor"

Precisely. The benefit of the doubt is never given to the black athele/celebrity/person. They better act like a saint and pray they don't have one little slip up or it's a wrap for their entire reputation. Forever.

Kreed

If a Black person did somethin like that it woulda been a shitstorm, white girl does it its "oh she's such a driven competitor"

The Gymnastics team girls all look like/are little children. No one is going to start a shitstorm over them crying/acting like kids.

Also in context of the competition, that girl was trying hard to fight back tears after she fell on her ass and lost herself the gold. I can't blame a girl her age from not accepting hugs after a loss like that.

The Gymnastics team girls all look like/are little children. No one is going to start a shitstorm over them crying/acting like kids.

Also in context of the competition, that girl was trying hard to fight back tears after she fell on her ass and lost herself the gold. I can't blame a girl her age from not accepting hugs after a loss like that.

c'mon, you know that given the same set of circumstances but race, the result wouldn't be the same. just like the disproportionate prosecution of minority youth offenders as adults.

Kreed

c'mon, you know that given the same set of circumstances but race, the result wouldn't be the same. just like the disproportionate prosecution of minority youth offenders as adults.

Unfortunately in this situation the only person we could have a fair comparison with here is Gabby Douglas, and critics are more obsessed with her hair than her actual performances/how she behaves after a performance. You can't compare minority youth offenders to this situation though. Besides the fact that you're dealing with crime in that situation, you're also dealing with young girls vs the majority of minority youth offenders being young boys. Young girls and young boys are not viewed the same in the US regardless of ethnicity.

But honestly I think we need to just ignore the facebook/twitter BS vs acting like it's legitimate criticism. When I'm watching the news/talk shows I'm not seeing any of the "complaints" coming up that are coming up here, like Gabby's hair or people acting "classless" after winning medals. For example, I saw Serena Williams on one of the news talk shows yesterday, and the interviewer asked her how to perform the "two step" she did after she won Gold. No one even mentioned it being the "crip walk".

ReiGun

I am getting tired of every black represents the entirety of the race shit.

Seriously. It's annoying knowing that everything you do/say is being used to judge an entire group of folk, and that everything other black people do is used to somehow judge you. We're not a fucking hivemind. We don't have meetings to decide a stance on shit.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Seriously. It's annoying knowing that everything you do/say is being used to judge an entire group of folk, and that everything other black people do is used to somehow judge you. We're not a fucking hivemind. We don't have meetings to decide a stance on shit.

while I agree with that, I think the judgements are harshest within our own communities. I think maybe if we stop being so judgmental on our self's then maybe it will spread outward.

I'd be salty as fuck too. Thing is just because a minority person is criticized more highly doesn't mean we should criticize everybody more. We should criticize less.

We need a meeting on fried chicken (just kidding) :D

I have a question for my black brothers

do I lose my black membership card if I remove the shiny sticker from my new baseball cap?

I have not worn a baseball cap for over 15 years yesterday I just got on just to keep the sun out of my eyes but then I remembered the trend I have been seeing over the years and took the train today and saw a bunch of stickers on caps... what does this mean? (took my sticker off last night)

P.S. $35!!! wtf is with these hats today, use to pay like $12

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

do I lose my black membership card if I remove the shiny sticker from my new baseball cap?

I have not worn a baseball cap for over 15 years yesterday I just got on just to keep the sun out of my eyes but then I remembered the trend I have been seeing over the years and took the train today and saw a bunch of stickers on caps... what does this mean? (took my sticker off last night)

The sticker is just a way to signify that its an authentic hat used mostly by teenagers. Its up to you if you what you want to do.

Anybody see that McKayla chick act like a sore loser the other night, she was right next to the gold medal winner and barely made a move to accept a hug from her..... classless
?

then the bronze winner went in to hug her and she straight up IGNORED her.

How come this isn't being spoken about

Because she is a True American and Gabby isn't.

DominoKid

You have to keep the sticker on for a few weeks for legitimacy. After that i take it off because if you leave it on too long you end up w/ a 2 tone bill

Samara

I know black women make the majority of buyers of hair products and such, but *some* they think they are such know it all. Her hair is a hot mess? No, it's just them stupid people who freak out at the sight of regrownth.

I don't even want to go to blackhair forum, must be a shitstorm going on there

Ekdrm2d1

Hi all,

I found this site while browsing google images/californication gifs. Neogaf's OT threads about TV shows are really amazing. Everybody produces some great .gifs and images from the TV shows. I prefer TV shows on Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, and Starz but I also like FX Networks, TNT, and NBC.

Some of the TV shows I enjoy (huge list, shouldn't name everything:)
Weeds, Dexter, Homeland, Episodes, House of Lies, Nurse Jackie, and Shameless. Curb your Enthusiasm, Bored to Death, and Girls. Strike Back and Southland. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The League, Louie, and Wilfred.

I enjoy drinking beer, music, and athletics. I've been a beer connoisseur since I was 16 and grew a beer belly to where I looked pregnant. I then became into fitness and I lost 50 lbs. and re-started my life over.

I'm affiliated with a Houston, Texas rap group called the South Park Coalition (or SPC in short.) Since this is the Black thread, I'll make this area my first posting :)

My click name is "Boy C". Here's Real Chill's vinyl from 1986, with all the group members signatures. K-Rino (The founder of the SPC), Preppy J, and G.T.
img2612n.jpg

Here is the infamous C.O.D. 12" vinyl, signed by both group members K-Rino & Dope-E
krinodopeecod12inchboyc.jpg

krinodopeecod12inchboyc.jpg

Here is me and Dope-E
img3257e.jpg

I hope this is a good introduction from me. If you see me around, you'll notice me in the beer thread, fitness threads, music threads, .gif threads, funny picture threads, etc. etc.

More people need to watch Good Hair. I learned a lot and how unfair the hair world is for black people, especially black women. It also came to a head just recently when TD and I visited a nearby store and there were no black hair care products but just rows upon rows of various white hair products. I swear I forget how tailored some places are to my race until I go out with a friend or boyfriend and get some perspective.

Satch

Banned
What the? When did you change your name? Why did you drop the war?

mumei changed it for me about a week ago

the whole "Satchwar" story is just long and ugh

it's pokemon related

also, do white men seem to care more about baldness than black men do??

More people need to watch Good Hair. I learned a lot and how unfair the hair world is for black people, especially black women. It also came to a head just recently when TD and I visited a nearby store and there were no black hair care products but just rows upon rows of various white hair products. I swear I forget how tailored some places are to my race until I go out with a friend or boyfriend and get some perspective.
Yeah I showed it to my girl, she has no clue about any of that stuff.

also, do white men seem to care more about baldness than black men do??
Fuck no, it sucks my hairline has gone LBJ on me. I don't think we have same hair restoration options though.

White guys have a lower success rate of pulling off the bald look imo.

edit: but like Natural is saying, it's not 'enjoyable' for anyone. It's more than just not looking a certain way, it also makes you feel old and past prime.

I hope I never go through it, my dad is 50 with a full head of hair and my grandfather on my mom's side has a full head of hair at 70. And they both led tougher lives than me, so hopefully I'm safe.

Satch

Banned
i know it's not "enjoyable," but i've always felt like black men don't sweat it as much.

some of the best looking men i've ever seen have been black men with bald heads, or at least close to it (and they're pretty confident in themselves)

just one of those things i don't know much about i guess

i know it's not "enjoyable," but i've always felt like black men don't sweat it as much.

some of the best looking men i've ever seen have been black men with bald heads, or at least close to it (and they're pretty confident in themselves)

just one of those things i don't know much about i guess

You gotta embrace it, no matter what race you are. Some of the coolest dudes on the planet have next to no hair on their head, and that's because they've stopped worrying about it. I've actually been meaning to shave my head because it's been getting harder to sleep at night.

Men typically like having hair on their heads because it means they're still "young." Baldness tends to happen, if ever, when you're old, and losing that hair means you're getting old. A lot of guys can't or won't accept that, so they go all-out in trying to keep their head covered.

ReiGun

I look good bald. I did it to save money in college and it worked out well, as I saved a ton of money. lol

I did the opposite and tried growing it out for a few months. Saved me some money, but I got tired of taking care of it and had to get to a barber asap. Plus, my fro didn't even grow in even. smh

I think some white guys have a problem with embracing baldness because it has been associated with "white power" skinheads for so long.

That and most of the time it looks terrible. There hasn't really been a white dude in the media that has made it "cool" to be bald and white like MJ has done for black men.

Yes I do watch The Shield.

When it comes to thinning hair sometimes its best to shave it all off, but some guys look alright with maintaining what they have. Larry David or Bruce Willis come to mind. Don't comb over but don't salt the earth.

G-Fex

When it comes to thinning hair sometimes its best to shave it all off, but some guys look alright with maintaining what they have. Larry David or Bruce Willis come to mind. Don't comb over but don't salt the earth.

i might have to, it's pretty much see through hair.

I think some white guys have a problem with embracing baldness because it has been associated with "white power" skinheads for so long.

Also doesn't it sunburn super fast?

Some of the hottest dudes are baldies though. I remember when I had a thing for short cropped/bald hair. Right around the same time I was a Vin Diesel fangirl.

I did the opposite and tried growing it out for a few months. Saved me some money, but I got tired of taking care of it and had to get to a barber asap. Plus, my fro didn't even grow in even. smh

See I wouldn't have been able to pull that off. I was President of 2 of the largest student-run organizations at Michigan and on the National board of NSBE at the time.

There was no time for "the ugly phase" and no platform for a mini fro or corn rows. I would have looked a hot-ass mess for far too long.

Top Bottom