• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Imm0rt4l

It is pure Hollywood, I'd like to think that she can make a good enough performance, aside from the slight colorism, I can't say that it couldn't ever work as I haven't seen her in any sort of oscar baitish roles ever. I don't so much have a problem with them choosing a pretty black chick, but can she provide something substantive? I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I don't have high expectations at all....probably would have been better off with Mary J Blige.

besides

it could be worse..

There was this documentary I saw a few months back about Hollywood where during the 50's many white women played black women who were passing. It was interesting seeing these white women proclaiming"I'm a colored woman", the actor opposite being surprised, and the white woman subsequently being slapped around after being found out. It was interesting. The concept of Passing, is pretty interesting, guys like J. Edgar Hoover.

DominoKid

I knew it when it the album came out and they said Nas, Jay Elect, and Stic Man were in the studio working on the album together. That means it was a collab. It should be a non issue but Nas dropped a great album in "life is good" and it's dirt.... Even of it's old, dirt gets page views.

Welcome to my life.

oh im sure Nas was in the studio when Jay wrote it...probably munching on some Cheetos saying "yeah thats hot" as Jay spit it to him. i guess thats a collab lol.

harSon

Banned
Pure Hollywood horseshit and calculative, oscar-chasing on her behalf.

She doesn't look the part. I've never heard her sing. Isn't a particularly good actress.

Also, she seems dumb, conceited, and completely lacking in social awareness :

Come on now.

Edit : LOL @ the thought of her being able to do a song like this honestly.

Yeah, I was going to post the same interview. There's a reason the majority of successful black actresses in Hollywood are light skinned and/or mixed, and contain some European features Zoe.

Fuck you Idris, Denzel, and most importantly, Wesley Snipes. He got the ball rollin' after he stabbed Al B Sure-looking banker in New Jack City as it's been dowhhill for us lightskin dudes ever since.

She doesn't look the part. I've never heard her sing. Isn't a particularly good actress.

w4Gru.jpg

Come on now.

Whoa she said that? Uhm, wow.

ReiGun

Damn Zoe. Smh.

Definitely.

Unfortunately for me as a light skinned dude, it seems our dark skinned brothers are making a come back.

Thanks a lot Idris....

Fuck you Idris, Denzel, and most importantly, Wesley Snipes. He got the ball rollin' after he stabbed Al B Sure-looking banker in New Jack City as it's been dowhhill for us lightskin dudes ever since.

Stay salty, my friends. What did y'all think was gonna happen when you start letting guys like Drake and C. Breezy come to the fore-front? You could have stopped this.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

w4Gru.jpg

Come on now.

We have a black president is getting old. that was some dumb shit on her part.

Oh man, all those damn Oscar discussions about The Help, is it racist, is it not racist, if Meryl Streep wins against over Viola Davis is this racist, is this any good, magical white people helping black people, magical black people helping white people, goddamn it was relentless for a good minute.

harSon

Banned
I've hated few movies more than The Help.

It's the culmination of everything I hate about Hollywood. Only thing it was missing was Maryl Streep as Mammy.

That whole female actress race last year was so crazy. And we had Rooney Mara in another one of those "trasformative" movie roles in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. A woman that adorable lookin' like that is a travesty.

rooney-mara-1.jpg

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
oh im sure Nas was in the studio when Jay wrote it...probably munching on some Cheetos saying "yeah thats hot" as Jay spit it to him. i guess thats a collab lol.

if you pay to provide the pens, papers, and cheetos damn right you can call it a collabo. Thats the American Hip Hop Way.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wow @ Zoe. The whole, "your president is black, therefor, you should have no problems getting work" bullshit is tired and...bullshit.

I admire the tenacity, but some things should be left unsaid.

Edit: I don't know enough about the industry. I should know more, considering the line of work I've been progressing towards, but...why isn't there more of a variety in black roles and directors? With so much access to cameras nowadays, people can't fund themselves or each other?

Slayven

I want a movie where magical black people and magical whites try to fix shit but gets it wrong. Only for a magical Asian to correct them

Gorillaz

Wow @ Zoe. The whole, "your president is black, therefor, you should have no problems getting work" bullshit is tired and...bullshit.

I admire the tenacity, but some things should be left unsaid.

Edit: I don't know enough about the industry. I should know more, considering the line of work I've been progressing towards, but...why isn't there more of a variety in black roles and directors? With so much access to cameras nowadays, people can't fund themselves or each other?

It's kind of a grey area but it's almost like the black community doesn't want certain types of films but doesn't want to always be labeled under a "comedy" or a "tyler perry" style of movie

what I said might not make sense.....Idk how to express it tho.

Short answer: A lot of production money is held by white people. There are great films being made but no distribution or lack of promotion. And definitely no studio bankrolls. So there are scores of indie films but no hollywood made big productions other than Eddie Murphy/Martin Lawrence/Tyler Perry shit.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pariah_2011/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/medicine_for_melancholy/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/night_catches_us/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_will_follow/

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I want a movie where magical black people and magical whites try to fix shit but gets it wrong. Only for a magical Asian to correct them
Take out the magic white and black people and it sounds like the rush hour series.

However If it does exist Jackie Chan starred in it.

Kreed

The "we have a black president" comment wouldn't be so bad if it was coming from a black actress other than Zoe, or any other black actress that doesn't fit the "Hollywood/USA beauty mold". Zoe and others with her "advantages" should recognize that they aren't landing roles just because they are going into auditions and "doing their best". It's like Mitt Romney saying anyone who can't make a 100,000 dollar bet at their leisure should just get off their asses and work hard with a positive attitude (wouldn't be surprised if he actually said this).

Short answer: A lot of production money is held by white people. There are great films being made but no distribution or lack of promotion. And definitely no studio bankrolls. So there are scores of indie films but no hollywood made big productions other than Eddie Murphy/Martin Lawrence/Tyler Perry shit.

Speaking of which, has anyone here seen or heard of Beasts of the Southern Wild? It's only available in limited screens in my state but I'm tempted to hunt down a theater showing it and see it.

Slayven

This might be Gaf-Racist, but I wish more blacks and minorities in general get into all industries. Especially comics, films, and novels. And super especially the fantasy and scifi genres.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It's kind of a grey area but it's almost like the black community doesn't want certain types of films but doesn't want to always be labeled under a "comedy" or a "tyler perry" style of movie

what I said might not make sense.....Idk how to express it tho.

Nah, I most definitely get where you're coming from.

Damn, I haven't heard of a single one of these films...

Thanks.

Anymore I should be aware of? Horror, Action, whatever. Doesn't matter.

This might be Gaf-Racist, but I wish more blacks and minorities in general get into all industries. Especially comics, films, and novels. And super especially the fantasy and scifi genres.

I don't think it is. Nothing wrong with wanting to see more diversity.

ReiGun

This especially. Such a shame more black folk aren't featured in those genres.

Nothing wrong with this line of thinking. We should not only wish it, but expect it.

There is so much untapped potential in the black population. I think those areas you mention would benefit from the fresh talent.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

when will this reverse racism stop?

Imm0rt4l

word, I don't give a fuck about increasing black media. I want more media with black people in it, and not just some expendable ass characters.

^Man, you ain't said a word. Grandmas WILL be pushed out the way, dogs will be punted, and sickly orphans will be trampled on.

All for you, Mya. That shit is like "whoa"

Top Bottom