• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Bish said we shouldn't just hide in here we should call people on their bs but it's hard when nobody wants to listen.

People will throw around the "freedom of speech" card very quickly. That's usually the point where i realise i'm fighting a losing battle and just exit the convo.

People will throw around the "freedom of speech" card very quickly. That's usually the point where i realise i'm fighting a losing battle and just exit the convo.

I get the freedom of speech card, but that doesn't mean we can't rail on people for saying racist shit - that is also just another expression of freedom of speech.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I get the freedom of speech card, but that doesn't mean we can't rail on people for saying racist shit - that is also just another expression of freedom of speech.

I was brought up to understand that you don't say dumb, stupid or hateful shit, even if you are thinking it. That should trump any freedom (perceived or otherwise) everytime.

Those quick to pull freedom of speech just use it as an excuse to justify their asshole behaviour. And such people usually don't want to be educated.

I was brought up to understand that you don't say dumb, stupid or hateful shit, even if you are thinking it. That should trump any freedom (perceived or otherwise) everytime.

Those quick to pull freedom of speech just use it as an excuse to justify their asshole behaviour. And such people usually don't want to be educated.

Hey, at least this way we know who are racist, better that then for them to remain closeted racists.
Better the enemy you know than the one you don't, etc.

Hey, at least this way we know who are racist, better that then for them to remain closeted racists.
Better the enemy you know than the one you don't, etc.

To quote something I heard in the past....

"Ghost scare me more than freight trains".
Those overt usually are all talk the ones that keep it quiet are the ones that are bothersome.

Dat struggle has reached my job.

real work email:
A box of approximately 20 sandwiches has gone missing from conference room B124 (nearest to Default Management group). The food placed in the alto room is in preparation for a business lunch provided to specific XXX departments. Sometimes food is left over from various events and so it's not uncommon for leftovers to be taken up by staff and nearby persons. However, in this case the business lunch has not yet started. Should anyone have taken this box in error, or should anyone know anything regarding this, please contact me ASAP.

The struggle lies with the company.

Who wants to eat those sandwhiches now that they've been taken lol.

Order some subway

LOL. I agree. Not my department but they sent the email company wide. My team and I are getting a nice chuckle. I'm debating on whether I should reply with coupons from various sandwich shops or not.

Nakazato

So made it to LA about 1 am est. Got caught in a fucking sand storm. Wtf cali dont even. Also learn i need to become a better driver quickly LA's freeway system is no joke.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The struggle lies with the company.

Who wants to eat those sandwhiches now that they've been taken lol.

Order some subway

Catered sandwiches usually taste like shit anyway. Something about the plastic encasing makes the bread and tomaters soggy. Unless they came from Jimmy John's or something. Then again, if someone stole my Jimmy John's sandwiches, I wouldn't need an email to find the fucker. I'll put the building on lockdown and find the person in a mayo and french bread coma.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So made it to LA about 1 am est. Got caught in a fucking sand storm. Wtf cali dont even. Also learn i need to become a better driver quickly LA's freeway system is no joke.

A heads up. Be aware when it rains. Fuckers act like the sky is falling on the roads.

So the guy who sent the email is Russian, and I was advised by another co-worker the coupon reply would probably not have gone over to well. I've also found out the sandwiches were from McAlister's so. Not Jimmy Jones but they not garbage either.

Edit-
Also the guy who sent the email we'll call him by his surname; Bordavsky. He doesn't want the sandwiches back to use. He wants them back strictly off principle. Morale of the story don't play with Russians.

DominoKid

McAlisters is dope. We had one of those on campus. I went like everyday my first 2 years. Murder on my meal plan funds but whatever. Better than Jimmy Johns.

in other news i woke up today not feeling like getting out of bed. a netflix-thon of Batman Brave/Bold is on deck. to be such a silly Batman show I actually like it a lot.

DominoKid

Do we need to have Tropes vs Negroes in Video Games?

yeah but i hope it's better made than the TvW series. she took a real problem and neutered it w/ some shitty videos.

Tropes vs Minorities would be better btw. we already know people aint trying to hear about black people bitching. at least that way you'd have a whole lot more ammo and support.

Met my friends roomate (both are female) as they just moved in together over the weekend and gave her a friendly hug as I felt pretty familiar with her based on everthing my friend told me.

A day later I'm told that she thought I was gay because of the hug and "being well spoken and respectful".

feels :(

DominoKid

Met my friends roomate (both are female) as they just moved in together over the weekend and gave her a friendly hug as I felt pretty familiar with her based on everthing my friend told me.

A day later I'm told that she thought I was gay because of the hug and "being well spoken and respectful".

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

When simping meets reality.

Although I dunno why being well spoken and respectful are gay specific traits...

Next time maybe you should slap her ass, so she knows you're not to be messed with.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I enjoy reading Mumei's thoughts on the subject matter. I just wish that her videos were made a bit better, so that her points could be taken a little bit more seriously.

The movie industry has this very same issue, but unlike the videogame industry, I've seen far more executives, directors, actors, etc... acknowledging that things are kind of fucked up when it comes to variety in stories, gender equality, and actual women directing projects. At the very least, things are becoming a ton more easier for women to take up the mantle on indie films. Canon Mark IIs and IIIs can shoot raw footage, and programs like davinci resolve come with BlackMagic Cinema cameras. It's damn near the greatest time for minorities and women to get into filmmaking.

So the guy who sent the email is Russian, and I was advised by another co-worker the coupon reply would probably not have gone over to well. I've also found out the sandwiches were from McAlister's so. Not Jimmy Jones but they not garbage either.

Edit-
Also the guy who sent the email we'll call him by his surname; Bordavsky. He doesn't want the sandwiches back to use. He wants them back strictly off principle. Morale of the story don't play with Russians.

Oh McAlister's yeah that's pretty serious business.

-CRASH-

Banned
don't drive next to big rigs. or too close behind them. seriously they fuckin suck.

Imm0rt4l

image.php

Its whatever to me but it just reinforces my thoughts in the past that I used to fall into zones where certain black women weren't as into me because I didn't have traits that merged with their view of the stereotypical black alpha male while other races were like eh, he's got a lot goin for him but nah, he black doe

Slayven

Was at the burger king drive thru and a dude walks up and asks "How your car smelling?" I say good, he then said "Free sample" and handed me an un opened pack of glade air fresheners.

Is this new?

DominoKid

Its whatever to me but it just reinforces my thoughts in the past that I used to fall into zones where certain black women weren't as into me because I didn't have traits that merged with their view of the stereotypical black alpha male while other races were like eh, he's got a lot goin for him but nah, he black doe

and these traits are?

Was at the burger king drive thru and a dude walks up and asks "How your car smelling?" I say good, he then said "Free sample" and handed me an un opened pack of glade air fresheners.

Is this new?

everybody hustling. he's going to hit you up w/ that sale next time he sees you.
i know last summer at the beach me and my dude got ran up on by this traveling cologne saleswoman in a mcdonalds parking lot at like 10 at night. i was trying to roll because that shit felt like a setup but my dude entertained it for a bit because she was fine. funny shit is i ran into her a few months ago in my hometown (i guess she moved her operation lol) and she still remembered me. this time she was hustling purses though. tried to get me to buy one for my mom.

Slayven

and these traits are?

everybody hustling. he's going to hit you up w/ that sale next time he sees you.
i know last summer at the beach me and my dude got ran up on by this traveling cologne saleswoman in a mcdonalds parking lot at like 10 at night. i was trying to roll because that shit felt like a setup but my dude entertained it for a bit because she was fine. funny shit is i ran into her a few months ago in my hometown (i guess she moved her operation lol) and she still remembered me. this time she was hustling purses though. tried to get me to buy one for my mom.

You got me scared now, dude might use the power crackhead to popout of my mailbox trying to get me on the comeback.

Mumei

I've thought about posting this for awhile and hesitated for whatever reason but... *shrugs*. I think some of you will find it interesting:

No Disrespect

Black women and the burden of respectability

Illustration by Angie Wang

In February 2012, PBS host Tavis Smiley interviewed Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer about their Oscar nominations for their roles as Aibileen and Minny, Jim Crow–era domestic workers in The Help. “I’m pulling for both of you to win on Academy Award night,” Smiley ventured. “But there’s something that sticks in my craw about celebrating Hattie McDaniel so many years ago for playing a maid”—a reference to the actor who won for her role as Mammy in 1939’s Gone with the Wind. “I want you to win,” Smiley concluded, “but I’m ambivalent about what you’re winning for.”

Davis countered that it is hard for black actresses to find multifaceted roles in Hollywood, and that pressure from the black community to eschew portrayals that are not heroic makes it even harder: “That very mind-set that you have, and that a lot of African-Americans have, is absolutely destroying the black artist…. If your criticism is that you just don’t want to see the maid...then I have an issue with that. Do I always have to be noble?”

For black women, particularly those in the public eye, the answer to this question is often a resounding “Yes.” They are required to be noble examples of black excellence. To be better. To be respectable. And the bounds of respectability are narrowly defined by professional and personal choices reflecting the social mores of the majority culture—patriarchal, Judeo-Christian, heteronormative, and middle class.

Spencer ended up taking home an Oscar later that month for Best Supporting Actress (Davis lost to Meryl Streep for Best Actress), but Smiley had articulated a discomfort many in the black community felt about their big-screen roles. For all its popularity and acclaim, The Help illustrates that Hollywood still filters (and distorts) the lives and histories of minorities through the eyes of the majority; celebrates white saviors; and, 72 years post-Mammy, is still more comfortable casting black women as maids than as prime ministers, action heroes, or romantic leads.

Where Smiley trod lightly, some people have been more explicit in their criticism of Davis and Spencer. In an open letter to Davis on the film-industry site Indiewire, black filmmaker Tanya Steele wrote, “Currently, the vanguard of black culture is still healing wounds from their past. Wounds that racism has created, wounds that drive you to gain acceptance in the larger culture. The acknowledgment comes in the form of a paycheck, exposure, star status, acceptance. An acceptance that is more important than our legacy. Isn’t it that simple? How else could a black woman…take the role?”

Much-needed criticisms of The Help and the characters of Aibileen and Minny have come from sources like the Association of Black Women Historians, which, in its own open letter, challenged various aspects of the book and film, including misrepresentations of elements of black life and the lack of attention given to sexual harassment and civil rights activism. But there is something else floating in the ether: the idea that the role of a maid is simply too ignoble for a 21st-century black actress. That idea is merely respectability politics at work.

Respectability politics work to counter negative views of blackness by aggressively adopting the manners and morality that the dominant culture deems “respectable.” The approach emerged in reaction to white racism that labeled blackness as “other”—degenerate and substandard—with roots in an assimilationist narrative that prevailed in the late-19th-century United States. Black activists and allies believed that acceptance and respect for African-Americans would come by showing the majority culture “we are just like you.”

Black women in particular had their own set of stereotypes to battle, as they had long been labeled by white society as lascivious Jezebels, animalistic beasts of burden, and disreputable antiwomen. According to Dr. Sarah Jackson, a race and media studies scholar at Boston’s Northeastern University, to counter these stereotypes newly freed African-American women were forced to adhere to the sexist strictures of the Cult of True Womanhood, which positioned white women as inherently chaste, pious, childlike, submissive, and (as Sojourner Truth famously said in her “Ain’t I a Woman” speech) in need of being “helped over mud puddles.” In other words: respectable.

And here emerges one fallacy of respectability politics: An oppressed community can implicitly endorse deeply flawed values, including many that form the foundation of their own oppression. The idea that domestic work is shameful is a product of class bias that disdains the working class, and of gender bias that devalues “women’s work.” And while Truth spoke longingly about the delicate way white women were treated, that treatment was deeply sexist.

On the other hand, respectability has been important for marginalized people throughout history. Black women’s clubs that formed in the early 20th century, spearheaded by women like Ida B. Wells, uplifted the black community and “proved” the respectability of African-American women by replicating similar organizations led by white women. Black civil rights activists showed up at marches and protests in their Sunday best—despite discomfort, and sometimes only to be spat on or sprayed by fire hoses. Those jackets and ties, heels and hats, sent a message: Your stereotypes are untrue; we deserve equality; we, too, are respectable. Jackson notes, “Assimilation was an effective way to join the national conversation at a time when there was a great disparity in not just the visibility of black Americans, but in the opportunity and legal protections afforded them.”

Negative views of blackness have surely not disappeared in the 21st century. And the black community still uses respectability politics as a form of resistance. But perhaps now more than ever—when there are so many different ways to be black and to be a woman—respectability politics have the potential to harm as much as uplift. As often happens, black women carry a double burden, as they are asked to uphold a respectability built on both racist and sexist foundations. And the burden isn’t just about professional decisions—say, which roles an actress should choose—but personal ones as well.

When neo-soul singer Erykah Badu announced her third pregnancy in 2008, some fans attacked her for having children outside of marriage with more than one father. One online commenter labeled the singer, known for rocking a mega ’fro, “trash with great hair.” A Zimbio.com article that referred to Badu’s “growing list of baby daddies” featured a “Knocked Up Again” headline. A blog article wondered baldly if the singer was “a ho.” She was derided as a poor example of black womanhood. The storm got so heavy that Badu bit back in a lengthy and poetically unapologetic online post about her family that ended with an entreaty to “Kiss my placenta.”

Three years later, when Beyoncé announced she was expecting, she was publicly applauded for doing pregnancy “the right way,” and celebrated for being a model of black womanhood. Even Diddy’s 18-year-old son, Justin Combs, weighed in on Bey’s proper use of her uterus. Combs tweeted: “Beyoncé dated, married, THEN got pregnant...young ladies take notes.” (No word on whether Combs’s dad, who has never married but has five children, is also taking notes.)

More at the link; it is rather too long to post and, hey, they deserve the hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom