• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Everyone knows a Man-Man, everyone knows a Mercedes.

Probably the most memorable name I've come across was God'sgift, though I think it was just a literal translation of his original name.

My family's real names are okay. It's the nicknames that are killer.

Slim
Boo Cat
Puddy Cat
Snake Doc
Foots
Brew
Thug
Blue (because he's so black he's blue)

And my personal fav. This one is not in my family but the son of a family friend. Stupid. Yes his nickname is Stupid.

And to make matters worse Stupid is a pretty good Ball player as ball players go in South Carolina. Imagine playing high school ball and people shouting Way to go Stupid!!! Good shot Stupid!!!!

I don't even know his real name but those in the neighborhood that respect the kid simply call him Stu.

I love South Carolina.

What part of South Carolina you live in?

What part of South Carolina you live in?

I no longer live in SC, but I grew up in the country. Fairfield South Carolina to be exact. Family farm and all. Cows, goats, hogs, chickens, two donkeys, a couple of corn fields.

I'm currently living in Raleigh NC, by way of Charlotte. I've been in NC for the past 9 years.

Slayven

I no longer live in SC, but I grew up in the country. Fairfield South Carolina to be exact. Family farm and all. Cows, goats, hogs, chickens, two donkeys, a couple of corn fields.

I'm currently living in Raleigh NC, by way of Charlotte. I've been in NC for the past 9 years.

You best not be looking at no white wimmenz.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Everyone knows a Man-Man, everyone knows a Mercedes.

Probably the most memorable name I've come across was God'sgift, though I think it was just a literal translation of his original name.

Funny enough, my Nigerian name means "Gift from God" in Edo.

I was the firstborn son to my parents, hence the name.

Pee'Air
a guy got locked up a while back in my city and his name was Pee'Air. I never felt so disheartened that his mother actually thought that was the correct spelling of Pierre.

Gorillaz

I had to leave class after reading that Pee Air was suppose to be Pierre. Like were presenting projects and I had to walk for 5 mins so I could laugh

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The police report doesn't really add up considering he was holding a small animal (the puppy) at the time. How can he "swing his arms" and making threatening posture while holding a baby animal? Also I don't understand why they felt it was necessary to choke slam a 14 year old as they were arresting him. That's just pathetic.

Kid is dumb as fuck for thinking he can just walk away from police though. He should know better.

Well the countdown has begun. One hour left at this site. I have been here 11 hours and during that time the funniest thing has happen today was I saw some of the people that mattered to me here. Built some solid relationships and was able to say bye. But the coolest thing was a lady walked in and asked to walk the facility. I asked was she visiting anyone she said no and I politely said no maam this is a private facility and I would be happy to answer any questions she may have had. Visually she was impressed so we continued to talk about the facility and I told her what was going on here and the mission statement of the site. I even went so far as to take her on a tour of the place. Long story short I was truthful. She then looked at me and said I lied. I said what do you mean she said the reason she wanted to see the place was that she was up for the VP position here in the facility. I told her at the end of the day all I could do was tell the truth. She then said I was an asset that needed to stay. I said thank you. She then looked me in the eye and stated if she has anything to do with it I will be back. I laughed and she gave me her buisness card. I then checked her credentials and laughed later on when I realized she was telling nothing but truth. So far today has been a good day. Im about to call the radio station and ask them to play that Ice Cube.

So yeah if you reading the above. This happened to me on my last day at the other site. Well Im working the new site and im loving life but I had an epiphany. I know im better than this. I need to get on somewhere and start doing for myself. So I made the call. Lets see what happens.....

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Clearly a case of the officer feeling he was being disrespected and deciding he needed to "teach" respect by manhandling the kid.

I honestly can't see anyway to legitimately feel threatened by a young teen holding a puppy unless the other hand is holding a weapon.
That would be pretty cool, though.

"Pick a hand. One holds a puppy...the other, a tec9"

I work for the local county government, so I see a lot of unusual names and unusual spellings of names. And for a while I loved to poke fun at them. But then I came to the obvious realization that for a lot of ghetto moms, the name is the only real and special thing they can give to their children. A stable home life? Nah. Positive male role models? Nah. But a name that is unique to them? Oh yeah.

Besides, we have always had a weird relationship with names. We come to America with our own tribal names. We lose our tribal names and get named whatever amuses the white man. Then we are free, and sort of name ourselves what the white man thought was good, along with any and every name from the Bible. Then in the sixties and seventies, we get a longing for the motherland and/or for Allah, and name ourselves tribal and Arabic names. This is also where the prefix names start (La-, Da-, Sha-, Ra-).

We've just entered a phase where a longing for uniqueness, sometimes coupled with a complete lack of education, has led to some really interesting names in the black community. And telling a woman that naming her child Quishana instead of Jane is going to keep her from getting a job is poisonous. We should be making sure that Quishana has the potential to get that job, and screaming from the rafters if she is pushed aside for a less qualified Jane. Just as there are going to be more and more people in higher business positions with tattoos and other body mods in the coming decades, there will be more and more people with non-Western, "made up" names in higher business positions, and society will just have to get used to it.

Gorillaz

Speaking of longing for uniqueness and in a way terrible directors...I'm sorry BCT

but I had to see exactly what Tyler Perry's new show "The Have and The Have Nots" was about.

It was like a parody of a nighttime soap opera. He literally put every stereotype possible within the first 15 mins

Slayven

Speaking of longing for uniqueness and in a way terrible directors...I'm sorry BCT

but I had to see exactly what Tyler Perry's new show "The Have and The Have Nots" was about.

It was like a parody of a nighttime soap opera. He literally put every stereotype possible within the first 15 mins
Why does it look weird? Did they film it in 1970's British PAL?

Gorillaz

Why does it look weird? Did they film it in 1970's British PAL?

I thats what I mean. Shit looked like it was a throwback parody of a nighttime soap opera. Something like Dynasty. Like the furniture reminded me of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air in it's first few season. You know when everything looked older and 80's like still? that's what the place looked like straight out of the 70s/80's

Slayven

I thats what I mean. Shit looked like it was a throwback parody of a nighttime soap opera. Something like Dynasty. Like the furniture reminded me of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air in it's first few season. You know when everything looked older and 80's like still? that's what the place looked like straight out of the 70s/80's

It's the struggle Scandal.

DominoKid

Can't even look at the pigs, gotta make a mental note of that. I love how we have to straight bitch out in the presence of cops for fear of some shit like that.

Slayven

tumblr_mjvmfv1nMA1qhkyo5o3_500.png

tumblr_mjvmfv1nMA1qhkyo5o2_500.png

tumblr_mjvmfv1nMA1qhkyo5o1_500.png

Can't even look at the pigs, gotta make a mental note of that. I love how we have to straight bitch out in the presence of cops for fear of some shit like that.

hahaha but if you don't look at them, they will say you were 'suspiciously avoiding eye contact' which 'led them to believe that ~something was up~'

I read the rest of the post with interest, but I don't really feel like it's something I can respond to since I don't have the necessary perspective. I appreciate the response, though. And I just saw this linked on Feministing, which relates to this (and GotEmRunning's post):

Tyler Perry Hates Black Women: 5 Thoughts on The Haves and Have Nots

There are spoilers at the link; the first entry is rather spoiler free, and sets the tone:

I personally think Tyler Perry secretly hates black people, but is conflicted because he's black and that's all he'll ever be.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm gonna be leaving for work-related stuffs for the next month maybe two. In case Obama gets elected to a third term and the thread hits the 20k mark, I want you all to track down dreams-visions and force him to make OT4. If he can't, hars0n or Slay. I'd say ask Satch, but the oracles have told me she says 'fuck no. not everyone has deadbeat dad hours' in all futures.

Nakazato

I'm gonna be leaving for work-related stuffs for the next month maybe two. In case Obama gets elected to a third term and the thread hits the 20k mark, I want you all to track down dreams-visions and force him to make OT4. If he can't, hars0n or Slay. I'd say ask Satch, but the oracles have told me she says 'fuck no. not everyone has deadbeat dad hours' in all futures.

By work stuff DY actually means he's running cause he's close to being found by his baby mom for child support.

Be safe we want to see you back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom