• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Rare was goat in their prime though. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, DKR, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, and Banjo Kazooie were all top tier: and that was strictly N64. Then you have the old Donkey kong games, Battletoads, and shit like Killer Instinct. You can't really fuck with the run they had from Nes to N64. Microsoft killed the fuck out of them... smh.

R.I.P. Rare...

Imm0rt4l

Not sure about that, but they did make some of my favorite games ever at their peak. They also made DK64 in that same time period so yeah.

I for one loved dk64, but it seems most everyone else prefers Banjo. *shrugs.

Rare was goat in their prime though. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, DKR, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, and Banjo Kazooie were all top tier: and that was strictly N64. Then you have the old Donkey kong games, Battletoads, and shit like Killer Instinct. You can't really fuck with the run they had from Nes to N64. Microsoft killed the fuck out of them... smh.

R.I.P. Rare...

They were top tier for sure, but GOAT? nah.

R.I.P indeed

Rare is just a name now.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Just sitting here like....

tumblr_lwobmpkPmB1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

J10

Banned
I didn't like that Banjo and DK64 were such pointless fetch quests. Here, go collect these things. Why, what do they do? Nothing, just go get them.

Imm0rt4l

I was always under the impression that a lot of key Rare talent bolted right when MS made the purchase?

I believe a lot of them did and even some left some time before that to make freeradical. I remember reading something on gaf from those that stayed and how the environment was totally foreign and became stringent and the management were in a bit of disarray.

I believe a lot of them did and even some left some time before that to make freeradical. I remember reading something on gaf from those that stayed and how the environment was totally foreign and became stringent and the management were in a bit of disarray.
Ah man, freeradical. Damn shame about them.

It's crazy when companies buy assets and completely ignore what made those assets valuable in hopes they can make them more profitable. Usually if it was so easy as just placing your corporate culture on top of another company, you would have needed to make the purchase in the first place because would have developed talent on your own.

harSon

Banned
I lol'd heartily at the "Rare at it's peak was the greatest dev of all time" thread.

They were though. There were developers that probably had a better overall portfolio, but I can't think of another developer that churned out as many quality games as Rare during their Golden Years. Their 64 days were ridiculous. Blast Corps, Golden Eye, Banjo Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day in 4-5 years. No other studio can touch that much quality in such a short window.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Who schedules a fantasy draft for 10pm on a Friday night? I haven't even done any research yet.
Reminds me of the scene from Knocked Up where she thinks Paul Rudd is cheating and he is just off doing a fantasy baseball draft. and she's like "this is almost worse than if you were just cheating"

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Blackghost

After what Ive seen from the Ravens and Steelers

You can have the AFC north this year

It's that bad? :(

Lee Daniels making a Janis Joplin biopic, then hopes to make Miss Saigon...and a horror movie? I can't even begin to imagine what a horror movie is going to be about, coming from him...

I didn't know the extent of the death penalty's popularity with liberal posters here until these "black perp, white victim" news stories became a fad.

next-gen is all about dem particles, apparently.

7Jg9.gif

Not a huge Killzone fan, but I do profess to a love of that little beep sound when you kill somebody. It's like a signal to my brain I did a good job.

Gaf's love affair with Rare is domestic violence. Rare gets their hopes up and then slaps them.

This is one of the most hilarious statements I've read all day. WOW.

...AND TRUE.

NO BANJO FOR YOU!!! You want more banjo? BUILD A FUCKING CAR. That's your banjo! Love it.

G-Fex

next-gen is all about dem particles, apparently.

7Jg9.gif

Not a huge Killzone fan, but I do profess to a love of that little beep sound when you kill somebody. It's like a signal to my brain I did a good job.

pretty game.

Yes I noticed Next Gen is all about particles apparently.

Watching that Killer Instinct gamecom video most of the attacks were just particles.

Next Gen looks very nice.

Gorillaz

It still amazes me that dev team that was known for having nothing but red and brown and being colorless could make something like that.

Not bad GG, said in the other thread I want to hear impressions on Killzone's MP. Especially if it is targeting 60fps

G-Fex

It still amazes me that dev team that was known for having nothing but red and brown and being colorless could make something like that.

Not bad GG, said in the other thread I want to hear impressions on Killzone's MP. Especially if it is targeting 60fps

I'm hoping maybe.

MAYBE

By some significant SPECK OF DOT OF TINY CHANCE OF A ORB.

MAYBE

That the trend of dull boring brown or grey colors in games with grittiness is dying. Therefore more colorful games ahead. Non bland looking games.

FyreWulff

NES/Atari gen: Now we have sound!
SNES/Gen gen: Now we have layers!
N64/PSX gen: Now we have 3D!
PS2/GC/Xbox gen: Now we have lighting!
last gen: Now we have shaders!
this gen: HOLY FUCK PARTICLES

wraithshower_16fps_fv9sr7.gif

'PUTIN COLLISIONS

G-Fex

Maybe cause I've been playing Doom a whole lot lately but I wish we didn't have bullet sponges anymore in FPS's.

And weapons that pack a punch, not pea shooters.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is there anything more unnerving than having a pet that acts just like you?

Top Bottom