• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Eh It is gonna be good, and a bunch of people are going to buy it.

Many people didn't like the mechanics in brawl, a bunch more did. That does not make the game bad, you just like mechanics in melee more than brawl, that is fine, both good games. Both very different games for different people.

Please do not think that places like neo gaf make up the entirety of the 11 million people who bought brawl, you are in for a rude awakening.

yup. because those 11 million are clamoring for wii u's in anticipation,

Village

yup. because those 11 million are clamoring for wii u's in anticipation,

I dunno about that but a hell of a lot of people are gonna buy smash bros , because smash bros, and will buy a wii u to play it. If they bundle it with it, its gonna be even more people.

Its sonic with guns and a bike.

It might look good on paper but in execution....ew

Not everything needs a gritty reboot.

It wasn't a reboot.

It was more like " this character is insanely popular, lets give him a game.Lets make it like Devil May cry" You may be thinking that game wasn't like DMC at all, thats that good ol fashioned Sega Half assed shine.

Onemic

Eh... I dunno about that. That went from a balance patch to trying to recreate melee. That is when I dropped out of that mess.

What?

Game was pretty broken. Supers and tripping ruined the game. If you were sonic(I mained him :p) all you had to do was wait for that super icon to come down, get it, and watch as you take everyones life not once, but two times over as it would last long enough for everyone to respawn, lose invincibility and get killed again.

How long til WiiU is outsold LTD by XBone and PS4?

What are the WiiU's current numbers? I'd give it till March 2014, if that.

RedSwirl

Sonic 3&k music is pretty fucking iconic, I don't know if it's the obvious mj influence(plagiarism?), but that shit stays gdlk. Also I gotta respect whoever made that sonic 3d mushroom hill zone stage, they put Sega on notice.

I have always known this to be the truth.

Parallax

I dunno about that but a hell of a lot of people are gonna buy smash bros , because smash bros, and will buy a wii u to play it. If they bundle it with it, its gonna be even more people.

but the install base that the wii had doesnt exist for the wii u. so using 11 million as some sort of lock is counting your chickens before they hatch, brawl sells sure, but its no mario kart or pokemon.

Imm0rt4l

Smash is one of those games I just don't get I suppose. I had melee on the gc, played only a bit of brawl. It's not really something that would sell me on a system at all, but apparently that's just me.

Village

Game was pretty broken. Supers and tripping ruined the game. If you were sonic(I mained him :p) all you had to do was wait for that super icon to come down, get it, and watch as you take everyones life not once, but two times over as it would last long enough for everyone to respawn, lose invincibility and get killed again.

Eh Different machinics for different folks, I wouldn't tout broken as a bad thing though. Its this game with super heroes and Megamen, demons and Karate guys in it that is broken as shit and people will tout to you that the iteration with the 2 on the end is one the best fighting games of all time.

Slay did you really play Xcom on Bitch-made level difficulty?

What are the WiiU's current numbers? I'd give it till March 2014, if that.

I think it's around 4 million iirc. PS4 is supposedly at over a million preordered, don't think there's any word on XBone's preorder number.

Onemic

Eh Different machinics for different folks, I wouldn't tout broken as a bad thing though. Its this game with super heroes and Megamen, demons and Karate guys in it that is broken as shit and people will tout to you that the iteration with the 2 on the end is one the best fighting games of all time.

A fighting game that has absolutely broken mechanics is not a good game. Something like that isn't fun if you play others that know and can exploit said mechanics. It's not like smash is a single player experience where broken mechanics can be somewhat excused.

Imm0rt4l

I don't even like Mahvel, but smash community doesn't even like brawl. The community that is quick to ban items and characters elected to stay with the older smash over Brawl. I think that's very telling. It's a very poorly designed 'competitive' game, I think calling it a fighting game does real fighting games a disservice..

G-Fex

Shadow isnt threatening or cool at all. He's the Axel from Megaman x7 of sonic games. The Drake of the sonic universe.

I stayed with Brawl for a long time, I really tried to jive with it. Melee is a top 15 game for me, I really wanted to love the sequel. No dice.

Sakurai pls

Village

but the install base that the wii had doesnt exist for the wii u. so using 11 million as some sort of lock is counting your chickens before they hatch, brawl sells sure, but its no mario kart or pokemon.

We will see.

For now however I present you with another question. If the pokemon fighting game thing happens.

Would you play it?

Cracking me up.

Anyway so Ive never been a sonic fan. But I remember my boy playing Sonic 4 and I saw literally a part of his soul leave his body.....

Sonic fans are constantly shat on. Its like they on a death march of bullshit.

Affleck as Batman......

I just dont know. I mean for every The Town theres a Gigli. For every Argo theres a Jersey Girl. For every Phantoms theres a Bounce. I just dont know.....

ReiGun

Final Smashes were good in concept, but horribly imbalanced. On one hand you had Super Sonic, the Landmasters, and on the other hand you had shit like Peach's nap time or Mario's gentle push fireballs.

Gorillaz

I remember how fast the ban list started up for brawl on smashboards lol.

Metaknight was probably the most agreed upon ban. Shit happened quick.

Village

A fighting game that has absolutely broken mechanics is not a good game. Something like that isn't fun if you play others that know and can exploit said mechanics. It's not like smash is a single player experience where broken mechanics can be somewhat excused.

That depends on who you are talking to.
pringles

Shadow isnt threatening or cool at all. He's the Axel from Megaman x7 of sonic games. The Drake of the sonic universe.

That would Imply a few things, that would imply he isnt popular. That isnt true.. by a very large margin.

That would also Imply he isn't about what he talks about, which he is. To the exstent which he murdered his entire family. No seriously. The plot of shadow the hedgehog is murdering your entire family, well most of it.

Also Silver is drake.

Parallax

We will see.

For now however I present you with another question. If the pokemon fighting game thing happens.

Would you play it?

if its good? sure. but i generally dont fuck with non mainline pokemon games that arent snap. that was my shit.

I can't believe they haven't put out a Pokemon Snap game yet for the U. It's basically a slow rail shooter, it can't be that expensive, and you got the Gamepad right there with the gyro camera control, you can upload pics to Miiverse or whatever

Get on it, Nintendo

Village

if its good? sure. but i generally dont fuck with non mainline pokemon games that arent snap. that was my shit.

When that game glitched it scared the shit out of me as a kid.

I don't even like Mahvel, but smash community doesn't even like brawl. The community that is quick to ban items and characters elected to stay with the older smash over Brawl. I think that's very telling. It's a very poorly designed 'competitive' game, I think calling it a fighting game does real fighting games a disservice..

Eh, I that is a broad generalization. Next it wouldn't be telling the smash " community" ( and I say this as a member of it) is so small a minority in this case it doesn't really tell anything. A few hard core fans on the web like melee. I would be saying the same if they liked brawl. Sure people listen to what characters people want, but by no means should what that small a minority does dictate much of anything. I think listening to us is fine, just.. don't take what we do as some guide book. And alienate the rest of the people who play smash .

I don't fuck with any of the x games post megaman x 4. another series with Godlike ost btw, mainly X1.

You speaketh the truth.

Storm Eagle and Chill Penguin FTW.

The reason why the latter X games failed was that tried to add way too much. It diviated from the original formula. X4 was a solid balance of new mechanics and classic gameplay. X5 though.......

Speaking of games that damn SR4. I mean damn.
I had already spoiled myself with the ending last week from someone doing a lets play. But getting to the end of the game I ve essentially done everything minus a few clusters(< 100) and some gold medals. I am on the final area and I just got into that Power Armor and "You got the touch just started playing"..... And the whole They Live reference and One shall stand and one shall fall line gets me everytime. I cannot rave about the game more. Its too bad after im done with it Im trading it in. No replay value unfortunately. But alas I loved it and will probably snatch up the GOTY edition we know is coming for the DLC.

Parallax

Final Smashes were good in concept, but horribly imbalanced. On one hand you had Super Sonic, the Landmasters, and on the other hand you had shit like Peach's nap time or Mario's gentle push fireballs.

my boy mained mario, and was pissed when he used his final smash and me and friend just jumped over that shit. weakest final smash. you can at least time peaches final smash for maximum effect

I remember how fast the ban list started up for brawl on smashboards lol.

Metaknight was probably the most agreed upon ban. Shit happened quick.

seeing that dude recover under the ring was enough for me. then the grab priority thing? god damn sakurai.

Village

my boy mained mario, and was pissed when he used his final smash and me and friend just jumped over that shit. weakest final smash. you can at least time peaches final smash for maximum effect

seeing that dude recover under the ring was enough for me. then the grab priority thing? god damn sakurai.

Snake got me more than metaknight. Them hit boxes.

Anyways While we are on the subject of fighting games.

I have a question, what fighting game do you all think black people play the most. I think its tekken.

Village

I dunno , every black dude I know plays tekken, even the dudes I don't even mess with play tekken.

Edit: Yeah that is true, dude do mess with Mortal Kombat.

Snake got me more than metaknight. Them hit boxes.

Anyways While we are on the subject of fighting games.

I have a question, what fighting game do you all think black people play the most. I think its tekken.

I know in GA 3d is big. So Tekken and Soul are definites. I know a lot of cats personnally that still fuck with Street. But in all honesty I have no idea. I know a lot of brothers love some netherrealm. But you know its a good question.

EDIT: The artist formerly known as Onem1c may be right. I think everyone good or bad has a thing for marvel. And I know fuckers who dont play it but will watch the living shit out of it. So Hype.

ReiGun

I don't think R.O.B's was that great either. There was also Zero Suit's, which just turned you into a worse character. Yoshi's was ass, the Pokemon crew all had mediocre ones, and Ness got a shitty version of Lucas's.

All that said, Mario still had the worse one in the game. lol

Mahvel and Tekken. Easy.

Onemic

I dunno , every black dude I know plays tekken, even the dudes I don't even mess with play tekken.

A lot of black peeps play Tekken, but just judging by the makeup of tourneys and stuff I tend to see more black people play marvel than tekken. I wouldn't be surprised if more black people play tekken casually than marvel though. Because as much as 2D FGC hates to admit it, Tekken is by far the more beginner friendly game.

Gorillaz

I thought it was tied with street and mortal.

Also persona 4 arena isn't that bad. I feel like the community is dead at this point but its pretty fun.

Parallax

Honestly, it varies from place to place. I've seen tons of dudes that used to play vf4 evo at a nearby laundromat, but mahvel is indeed hot in the streets

ReiGun

Also persona 4 arena isn't that bad. I feel like the community is dead at this point but its pretty fun.

P4A's days were always going to be short. Anime community just waiting for that new BlazBlue to drop. And once Guilty hits? Man, it's a wrap.

Sonic 4? There isn't a sonic 4.

There was sonic 3 and knuckles and it was all downhill from there. It's all in your head. It's a real shame what they did to my nigga sonic, I think he's gonna be on E true Hollywood stories.

You and every other Sonic fan in here needs to look up "Sonic 3 Complete." For TOS reasons I'm not allowed to link it here, but it's a near fully-customizable Sonic 3 & Knuckles hack that actually makes the original obsolete.

G-Fex

I never was into the pokemon. But it seems Nintendo has really slowed down production on various pokemon games and merch and stuff. No other pokemon games rather than like the DS ones I've seen.

That depends on who you are talking to.
pringles

That would Imply a few things, that would imply he isnt popular. That isnt true.. by a very large margin.

That would also Imply he isn't about what he talks about, which he is. To the exstent which he murdered his entire family. No seriously. The plot of shadow the hedgehog is murdering your entire family, well most of it.

Also Silver is drake.

lol seriously? What's with the dark edgy thing inside the sonic universe? It FEELS so fanfictiony.

Anyway, someone talk me out of buying Skullgirls

Village

Most brothers I know do not even mess with street, I was the weird guy who liked street. They liked Tekken or Mortal. Some of them even knew KI.

Onemic

P4A's problem in the competitive scene, is that where were way too many extremely viable one dimensional strategies in the game. Yu's knockdown into guaranteed unreversable vortex, same with chies, mitsuru's stupid range and extremely high damage. punishing successful DP baits by cancelling it into super....and making that safe if it was baited by using a OMC. A lot of stupid stuff, that just made it tiresome and not fun to play. Hopefully the new game changes that.

Most brothers I know do not even mess with street, I was the weird guy who liked street. They liked Tekken or Mortal. Some of them even knew KI.

This is me. Most I knew either played Tekken, Soul Calibur,(back in the ps2/xbox days) or MK. No one touched SF.

Village

I never was into the pokemon. But it seems Nintendo has really slowed down production on various pokemon games and merch and stuff. No other pokemon games rather than like the DS ones I've seen.

lol seriously? What's with the dark edgy thing inside the sonic universe? It FEELS so fanfictiony.

Anyway, someone talk me out of buying Skullgirls

Eh technically its always been there, even more so in the comic books. For better or for worse. Heck even the new bad guys in the wii u joints dialogue gets a bit hairy. Sonic has never been one to restrict itself to one end of the emotional spectrum or rather two a single area of people. For better of worse. They got characters for every body. But enough about sanic.

Buy skull girls. I suck at it but its fun.

Gorillaz

P4A's days were always going to be short. Anime community just waiting for that new BlazBlue to drop. And once Guilty hits? Man, it's a wrap.
I'm usually not into fighters let alone anime ones. I picked up it up since gaf has been pretty high on it. I think. Never played Blaz or Guilty for that matter. Might join in this time.
P4A's problem in the competitive scene, is that where were -way too many extremely viable one dimensional strategies in the game. Yu's knockdown into guaranteed unreversable vortex, same with chies, mitsuru's stupid range and extremely high damage. punishing successful DP baits by cancelling it into super....and making that safe if it was baited by using a OMC. A lot of stupid stuff, that just made it tiresome and not fun to play. Hopefully the new game changes that.
damn you know your mechanics , you lost me after one dimensional strategies bruh

KI was even bigger then Street fighter? damn

Village

I'm usually not into fighters let alone anime ones. I picked up it up since gaf has been pretty high on it. I think. Never played Blaz or Guilty for that matter. Might join in this time.

damn you know your mechanics , you lost me after one dimensional strategies bruh

KI was even bigger then Street fighter
? damn

I dunno about that, but No body knew about street fighter 3. I guess whey they all they knew is tekken MK and KI.

Street Fighter and Tekken were most popular growing up, MK was more of a fad from what I saw, and Tekken lost popularity as time went on.

Marvel was always king tho, even during that huge span between the last two games. Super heroes and Capcom characters fighting?! Plus those cabinets were always in the laundry mats and liquor stores, hell even the local spanish market has a MVC2 cabinet next to the NeoGeo machine.

Onemic

SF3 was not a big game though, at least in terms of mass appeal. I remember learning about SF3's existence back in like 2004 when I was doing some SF digging on MAME and being surprised as hell that Capcom made a sequel to SF2. It blew my mind that I didn't even know of its existence and that it had been out for quite a while too.

hah, well I guess since you only play casually those things shouldn't mean much to you. Even though I'm no longer a fan of the game I'm always down to play gaffers, hit me up of you're on PSN.

Top Bottom