• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Why are so many people pissed that Spike Lee still calls his movies "A Spike Lee Joint?"

I mean that question is pretty much rhetorical. We all know why they hated it but they don't have the balls to say it.

Slayven

Why are so many people pissed that Spike Lee still calls his movies "A Spike Lee Joint?"

I mean that question is pretty much rhetorical. We all know why they hated it but they don't have the balls to say it.

Let me get real for a second. Spike Lee dared take something that was nerd gold and remake it. Remember for the longest time you had to watch this movie on bootlegs smuggled in by blind Mozambican nuns. So after watching it you can look down on the great unwashed and sneer "Baka Gajin don't know what you are missing."

Without any valid reason for it not to be remade they will use the most bitchmade reasons to pick it apart.

Looks like "A Spike Lee Film" to me

oldboyonesheet__span.jpg

Let me get real for a second. Spike Lee dared take something that was nerd gold and remake it. Remember for the longest time you had to watch this movie on bootlegs smuggled in by blind Mozambican nuns. So after watching it you can look down on the great unwashed and sneer "Baka Gajin don't know what you are missing."

Without any valid reason for it not to be remade they will use the most bitchmade reasons to pick it apart.
I think a lot of people have a problem with Spike Lee of all people remaking one of their favorite movies. Look at how many "Oh watch the good guy be black and the bad guy be white" comments there were before anyone was cast for the movie.

Looks like "A Spike Lee Film" to me

oldboyonesheet__span.jpg
Yep but isn't stopping people from complaining. Even after HarSon pointed it out.

harSon

Banned
I specifically meant Spike's poster. The original Old boy is good. That poster looks cheap and goofy.

Repost!

The original is incredibly overrated. Chan Wook Park is a horrid screenwriter, and that's where the film ultimately fails. The film has amazing cinematography and direction, there's no questioning that, but the rest of the film isn't so flawless. First of all, I'm bored to death of Korean scores, which basically amount to classical music 99.9% of the time. Second of all, the acting while damned good for Min-sik Choi (except the end), was overly melodramatic and overstated in a lot of areas. It was quite cartoonish in this respect, which is understandable considering its an adaptation of a graphic novel, but not in line with the overly serious tone the film ultimately takes. The villain in particular gave one of the most laughably cheesy and tone contrasting performances that I've ever seen. The narrative was disjointed as all hell and the actual ending,
and not the twist
, is honestly one of the dumber things to grace a 3rd act.

Basically, the film can be improved upon, which is the only justified reason for a remake IMO. There's room for an Oldboy film that maintains the excellent visual flair of the original, with a lean narrative, strong performances across the board (and an actual villain this time around), decent soundtrack and an ending that isn't an insult to the audience's intelligence.

The fuck. My momma, grandma, great grandma and other assorted ancestors would beat my ass without quarter if I lived like that.

And there was gonna be hate because spike did that movie regardless of how he did it. And wasn't there rumor about Will Smith supposedly in the starring role at one time.

And on the GTA, if they can fixed the monotony of gta4 and give me expansive area that was Red Dead Redemption than they are headed in the right direction. My interest is very muched piqued, even to the point that I'm willing to drop the 60 but I still hold some reservation. If the game is anything like the trailer than my favorite sandbox franchise will have major competition.

And personally the last good GTA game was San Andreas. Do my peers concur?

I do really like Brolin and would love Spike to do a touchdown dance on japanophiles but that poster is so bad

Edit: harson, I don't think I disagree with any your criticisms and despite them I still enjoy the movie. I'm not sure modern Spike is the guy you want to count on improving anything tho.

FyreWulff

All I see is two corporations having a business disagreement and people straining to construe it as an attack on their fanbase.

Also, I can 95.5% guarantee you from personal experience that the decision came down from NoJ. They are -very- conservative with commercial uses of their IP. Even if you have Nintendo of American AND Nintendo of Canada signed off on something, Nintendo of Japan will go "we haven't had enough time to approve/think of this" and kill it.

Most Asian films not about robots or beating monsters are.

LIES!!!!

Repost!

The original is incredibly overrated. Chan Wook Park is a horrid screenwriter, and that's where the film ultimately fails. The film has amazing cinematography and direction, there's no questioning that, but the rest of the film isn't so flawless. First of all, I'm bored to death of Korean scores, which basically amount to classical music 99.9% of the time. Second of all, the acting while damned good for Min-sik Choi (except the end), was overly melodramatic and overstated in a lot of areas. It was quite cartoonish in this respect, which is understandable considering its an adaptation of a graphic novel, but not in line with the overly serious tone the film ultimately takes. The villain in particular gave one of the most laughably cheesy and tone contrasting performances that I've ever seen. The narrative was disjointed as all hell and the actual ending,
and not the twist
, is honestly one of the dumber things to grace a 3rd act.

Basically, the film can be improved upon, which is the only justified reason for a remake IMO. There's room for an Oldboy film that maintains the excellent visual flair of the original, with a lean narrative, strong performances across the board (and an actual villain this time around), decent soundtrack and an ending that isn't an insult to the audience's intelligence.

PREACH!

I do really like Brolin and would love Spike to do a touchdown dance on japanophiles but that poster is so bad
"They all look the same"

I always wondered why I could never get into GTA but it struck me when I got GTA IV as a gift and I as I was going through some strip club mission with dudes that kept running away. Every time you fail you have to drive like 5 minutes back to where you're supposed to do the mission and listen to BS dialogue every single time. That's freaking stupid and quickly gets old. How can anyone put up with that? Feels like I'm playing something from the PS1 days.

"Trip Skip", one of the better features of San Andreas.

Hyped for 5 because they're headed back to the best city in the world.

And personally the last good GTA game was San Andreas. Do my peers concur?

I liked 4, but San Andreas is the best game in the series.

Top Bottom