• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

i saw a glimpse of a show, maybe 5 minutes, didn't pay too much attention but i did see, of all people, Tim Allen.

Tim Allen... in a TV show... in 2013.

he has 3 daughters, the middle one is hot, his wife is hot and he likes guns.

Tim Allen TV show.

Imm0rt4l

troll thread surely...?!?
KuGsj.gif

Yea, I lol'd. It's much funnier than the pokemon outselling GTAV thread which I think it just a little naieve. The thread you quoted though? That's just stupid.

Don't think podcast is happening.

ah well next time.

i saw a glimpse of a show, maybe 5 minutes, didn't pay too much attention but i did see, of all people, Tim Allen.

Tim Allen... in a TV show... in 2013.

he has 3 daughters, the middle one is hot, his wife is hot and he likes guns.

Tim Allen TV show.

I don't think I've ever watched an entire episode of home improvement, but isn't Tim Allen a coke head? I think I recall him wanting to take the word nigger back so that it had no meaning or something.

I wish I could accomplish that shit in a year. That's basically what I've been trying to do... for five years now. I've never even seen a non-student paid internship pop up.

Word, I feel you. To be honest I never wanted to work for Pentagram or any of the absolutely huge design firms. But after she told me, all I saw was dollar signs and told her she needs to absolutely kill it so I can get in.

BHZ Mayor

Do you guys think I'd be overstepping my bounds by going above a managers head to report the fact that they straight up bully one of their employees? It's straight up school yard bullying too, minus the physical punishment obviously. He treats him like horse shit, calls him names, second guesses everything he says/does to put him down, etc. The manager in question has only been here 2-3 months, and every time I witness it, I can't help but be disgusted. The dude getting bullied is the type of person who will keep it bottled inside, and I know he's suffered from significant stress in the past, and took a day or two off last week to recoup for similar reasons, so for his sake I kind of want to speak up.

This may sound like a joke, but think about it like this. If he decides to snap and shoot up the place, do you want to be thinking "damn I could've spoken up and maybe prevented this"?

Yeah, I remember that one, shit was hella awkward

We never had a black director win Best Director/Picture, but that could very well change this year. Gravity is that hotness right now, but IDK if the Academy will ever get over their dislike of big sci-fi movies, even when are the best of the year. I think Scorsese's new movie might make it out this year after all. There's still American Hustle and that Saving Mr. Banks oscar-bait lookin' film to see, so it could be a pretty contentious year.

BHZ Mayor

I don't know if it's because it's cuffing season or because this Drake just dropped or what, but I've been really feeling this whole "I don't wanna die alone" type of way lately.

Gorillaz

what the hell does "now" mean lmao
I don't know if it's because it's cuffing season or because this Drake just dropped or what, but I've been really feeling this whole "I don't wanna die alone" type of way lately.
Draking and Driving season is in full force with that album out. I get what your saying tho

harSon

Banned
This may sound like a joke, but think about it like this. If he decides to snap and shoot up the place, do you want to be thinking "damn I could've spoken up and maybe prevented this"?

I already brought it to my manager's attention about 30 minutes ago. Just wouldn't have felt right otherwise. She claimed she'd keep the fact that I came fourth with the information confidential, but you never know.

I've come a long ways though. I was an asshole bully in high school, making a kid's Sophomore and Junior year a living hell (although it started out as retribution for purposefully breaking my glasses and refusing to pay for the $200-300 glasses). And now witnessing it makes me sick to my stomach.

What about that one movie that was based on a true story that took place in NYC (I think) about a black female and the character was played by a white woman?

harSon

Banned
didn't shame suffer from the same thing? there's the black girl of course, but i don't remember any other people of colour in that film even though it takes place in new york.

i could be wrong, though.

I think he came to the realization that if people like him don't take the lead and cast black actors within their films, then nobody will. Considering his next films are 12 Years a Slave and a Fela Kuti biopic, I'd say it's a safe assumption that this is the case.

harSon

Banned
What about that one movie that was based on a true story that took place in NYC (I think) about a black female and the character was played by a white woman?

Well Angelina Jolie played a mixed black woman (Mariane Pearl) in A Mighty Heart.

If we're doing non-black roles being played by white actors, the list is pretty damn sizable. Reality don't mean a damn thing to Hollywood.

bud

I think he came to the realization that if people like him don't take the lead and cast black actors within their films, then nobody will. Considering his next films are 12 Years a Slave and a Fela Kuti biopic, I'd say it's a safe assumption that this is the case.

but those are "black" films, of course they're going to star black actors. it's always been like that, mostly. i mean, you make a film like ali or malcolm x and the leads are going to be black. you're not gonna make a film about slaves without casting black actors as the leads.

a film like hitch is a much better example of how it could and should be done. will smith just happens to be a black dude in a mainstream romantic comedy.

i suppose what i'm trying to say here is that i feel that plenty of times a black actor is cast because he or she is black or because the subject matter deals with being black, not because he or she is such a great actor.

but those are "black" films, of course they're going to star black actors. it's always been like that, mostly. i mean, you make a film like ali or malcolm x and the leads are going to be black. you're not gonna make a film about slaves without casting black actors as the leads.

a film like hitch is a much better example of how it could and should be done. will smith just happens to be a black dude in a mainstream romantic comedy.

i suppose what i'm trying to say here is that i feel that plenty of times a black actor is cast because he or she is black or because the subject matter deals with being black, not because he or she is such a great actor.

Bleh to Hitch, they went with Eva Mendez (waifu) because she was "safe" they didn't want to cast a white chick opposite a black guy in a romance comedy or else they felt it would make movie watchers "uncomfortable".

bud

Bleh to Hitch, they went with Eva Mendez (waifu) because she was "safe" they didn't want to cast a white chick opposite a black guy in a romance comedy or else they felt it would make movie watchers "uncomfortable".

i remember watching place beyond the pines

there's this scene where she's topless in bed

her nipple is covered by gosling's hand

i was so jealous

i wish i could've taken eva's place

Cleopatra, comin' at cha!

Took me back with that, Disney used to play those videos all the time during commercial break. Remeber 3LW, the only one i remember is the darkskin one only cause she played lil kim in the biggie biopic

Took me back with that, Disney used to play those videos all the time during commercial break. Remeber 3LW, the only one i remember is the darkskin one only cause she played lil kim in the biggie biopic

The only one from 3LW I remember is Adrienne, because she was the best looking one. Though I heard she ruined herself with plastic surgery, I haven't kept up on them past their debut.

Slayven

Been thinking about casting BCT as comic characters.

Bish as Mose Magnum, cause he doesn't show up much. But he does shake things up.
HT5WGYX.jpg

Moris as The Battling Bantam. Cause he is not cool enough to be Prototype or Living Lightneing or Skin.
494855-ba1.jpg

Satch as Empress the only one that drops sanity in a group of fools.
79259-114011-empress.png

Parallax Nightthrasher (Bandit version)
1445161-night_thrasher6.jpg

Dy as Slyde cause nothing sticks to that nigga.
1084337-sl10.jpg

Beef as Nova cause no one likes him.
Nova_Vol_5_10_Textless.jpg

Immortal is Maxam, swoll for no good reason and has a long backstory no one cares about.
maxam9.jpg

Reigun is Maggot, cause bless his heart he tries.
Maggott-on-Marvel.jpg

Rio is Charcoal cause no matter what he keeps going.
Charcoal_Burlingame.jpg

Devo is Troia cause they hate her for telling the truth and her story changes depending on who you talk to.
donna-troy_large.jpg

Top Bottom