• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Quick question then....

I'm gonna spit some anime titles out and you tell me is it just sexualization or fan service.

High School of the Dead
Guerran Lagaan
Sekerei
FLCL

I was always in the camp that fan service is shit that is so widely popular its thrown in just for fans.....

Examples.

-Im the Juggernaut Bitch line in X3.
-the "Mango Sentinel" color in MvC3/UMvC3.
-Rhodey looking at the iron man suit and saying "not yet" in IronMan 1
-Lynda Carter wearing Silver Bracelets as the principal in Sky High(yes I went there with a kids superhero movie)
-Bruce Campbell in pretty much everything.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sekirei and hotd are kinda beyond fan service. Sekireis manga is full on though. Naked chicks when there is no reason for it. Lagann has some, butbsince its so miniscule compared to everything else, I consider it fan service, and flcl is a story about puberty and growing up, but is still pretty tame.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'd argue that FLCL really doesn't have fan service. Most of the stuff you might traditionally call fan service is satire in FLCL. And the spurned girlfriend going after her ex's younger brother is a plot point, so Mamimi's sexualization has a purpose in most cases either way. Same with Furiko but for different reasons (seducing dad and main character in order to facilitate chance to bring out Atomsk).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Speaking of fan service but no, you'd think that Michiko & Hatchin would be loaded with it having a main character who's aware of her sexuality...but it isn't. The series is rather 'normal' (as far normal as anime gets). it's an interesting observation

BlackJace

Just picked up my copy of pokemon. Thug niggas chose X

zITTsuK.gif

Onemic

Speaking of fan service but no, you'd think that Michiko & Hatchin would be loaded with it having a main character who's aware of her sexuality...but it isn't. The series is rather 'normal' (as far normal as anime gets). it's an interesting observation

I'm halfway through the series and noticed that as well. I really need to finish it. Only have about 13 or so episodes left to watch.

How did you get away with not watching Yu Yu Hakisho before? One of the best anime ever.

Honestly, I didn't even hear about the anime until last year or so. I don't even remember it being in the top 20 best anime thread on gaf a while back.

I actually really liked the show. They could have done a bit more with Satoshi Batista, and there were some weak episodes, but it was solid overall. I think the unique setting had a lot to do with me liking it though.

Only reason I started watching it really.

harSon

Banned

I actually really liked the show. They could have done a bit more with Satoshi Batista, and there were some weak episodes, but it was solid overall. I think the unique setting had a lot to do with me liking it though.

I like this series if only because it's set in a fictitious country that's basically Brazil.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

It was a Very underrated series. One of the few series out there that was comparable to Cowboy Bebop in how it balances drama, comedy, and action. I wish they dubbed the whole thing though.

Also SOIL & Pimp Session is the Shit.

It was kind of a feminist anime though, so the lack of pandering, even with a "hot" protag, wasn't too much of a surprise.

Don't think there's anything I didn't like about Michiko & Hatchin tbh. If I was making a personal list it would definitely be up there.

And since the taste in this thread is strong, should I watch Planetes next or Attack On Titan?

Imm0rt4l

I want to like Kill La Kill. I really do, but dat fan service.....

I've only seen the first episode so far, which I liked enough. You want to see gratuitous fanservice though? High School of the Dead. I watched it on Netflix a year ago out of boredom, and it was just tits and ass for no fucking reason. But it's a very Japanese thing, it's so pervasive in the culture.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I've only seen the first episode so far, which I liked enough. You want to see gratuitous fanservice though? High School of the Dead. I watched it on Netflix a year ago out of boredom, and it was just tits and ass for no fucking reason. But it's a very Japanese thing, it's so pervasive in the culture.

High School of The Dead at least knows its meant to be completely pandered out and ridiculous from the jump. Its basically manufactured to be just that.

What kills me is all the Queen's Blades and Freezings and the much, much worse moe shit that only knows to be wrong.

BHZ Mayor

High School of The Dead at least knows its meant to be completely pandered out and ridiculous from the jump. Its basically manufactured to be just that.

What kills me is all the Queen's Blades and Freezings and the much, much worse moe shit that only knows to be wrong.

Is that the one where she dodges a bullet with her boobs?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It was kind of a feminist anime though, so the lack of pandering, even with a "hot" protag, wasn't too much of a surprise.

Don't think there's anything I didn't like about Michiko & Hatchin tbh. If I was making a personal list it would definitely be up there.

And since the taste in this thread is strong, should I watch Planetes next or Attack On Titan?
Planetes is amazing, but Attack on Titan is the clear winner here

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, stop bullshitting and watch Attack on Titan.
How is Sword Art Online? I keep hearing it's amazing, especially in the latter half of the series.

It is not.

It has the potential to be really good show. The first half of the first season was above average with varying highs and lows. At around episode 14 or 15 though.... just stop watching.

Never look back.

Imm0rt4l

A dude that killed me while I was minding my own business got his. 8 times over. There were cops, choppers and the whole 9. He'd die respawn in the middle of nowhere (blaine county) I'd find him and pounce. I'm sure he learned his lesson. Medical bills aint no joke.

Slayven

A dude that killed me while I was minding my own business got his. 8 times over. There were cops, choppers and the whole 9. He'd die respawn in the middle of nowhere (blaine county) I'd find him and pounce. I'm sure he learned his lesson. Medical bills aint no joke.

I hate being out in the country. Shit is a pain.

Got any stories?

Some asshole killed me jus cause and when I respawned and got my revenge he started shouting and saying I was being stupid. He kept charging at me and I would kill him from a distance cause he couldn't aim.

Was doing the mission that's basically horde mode. Some loud ass dude's girlfriend comes on the mic. "so you're mad at me cause when we were on break I hooked up with some other girl?" "Yea. It was wasn't jus any girl it was some monkey-ass ho"

She made fun of him the whole match. His kills per round dropped with every dagger.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
bct hoodies is crew name or something like that. playing with Marc and kung now.

J10

Banned
Wayne Brady would have to choke a bitch.

What kind of immature cunt starts breaking your stuff because you're having fun without her? Next time be an adult and threaten to go fuck one of his friends.

Top Bottom