• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

The issue is that GAF is mostly white so of course most of the posters don't really understand what they are talking about because it's from their white point of view. And that POV is skewered because of the fact that they are white. They are the majority, they have the privilege

ReiGun

I don't even think it's being white, cause minorities in those threads can say some off the wall shit too.

I've always like Slay's view that it's due to a lack of life experience. People just don't know how to view things beyond their own bubble, and getting them to understand outside perspectives - especially in relation to race or gender or any other "tough" subjects - can be like pulling teeth.

So I understand the frustration with those topics. That said, I do think this thread would be better off with less thread whining.

I like the Ultra SF4 thread, at least in the beginning, because you could tell who hasn't played the game.

I haven't even looked back at that thread since the announcement. I can't hang in fighting game threads too long unless it's a major.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
The issue is that GAF is mostly white so of course most of the posters don't really understand what they are talking about because it's from their white point of view. And that POV is skewered because of the fact that they are white. They are the majority, they have the privilege

Eh...its beyond that. Most of GAF that comment on such topics lack 2 vital things:

1: Empathy
2: Real life experience

edit: Beaten by Rei

Imm0rt4l

I liked the thread where people were doing mspaint of disturbing interpretations of cartoons and games; it had Rosie-Bot from the Jetson's killing the Flintstones.Apparently you can't highlight inequality without the white man feeling targeted. Because every voice of concern and case of outcry regarding racism, bias or profiling including the Zimmerman trial are just people trying to run whitey down.

meanwhile minorities have to carry the burden of a select few of their entire race.

" If Martin wasn't dressed like a thug he might be alive today."-paraphrasing what a gaffer said today. Can't help but believe that if a white kid was dressed the same, we'd assume he's a college student.

That thread on the 12 illegals raping that poor girl is horrible, fucking horrible. And I'm sure that some will use that as ammunition to paint an entire group of people in this country.

Nakazato

meanwhile minorities have to carry the burden of a select few of their entire race.

" If Martin wasn't dressed like a thug he might be alive today."-paraphrasing what a gaffer said today. Can't help but believe that if a white kid was dressed the same, we'd assume he's a college student.

That thread on the 12 illegals raping that poor girl is horrible, fucking horrible. And I'm sure that some will use that as ammunition to paint an entire group of people in this country.

This is Neogaf

trixx

So I've been reading a lot of messages along the lines of "I can't wait until the day when everyone is tan/mixed so racism can die down" Can someone please explain this to me?

Gorillaz

Well tech we are heading into that direction where more and more people will become mixed. Tho that "day" won't happen for awhile....like I mean for awhile

trixx

Well tech we are heading into that direction where more and more people will become mixed. Tho that "day" won't happen for awhile....like I mean for awhile
That makes sense but why would someone want that to be the solution to a topic like racism. In my opinion it solves nothing

^"...I was really scared, I'mma be honest"
KuGsj.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I've been reading a lot of messages along the lines of "I can't wait until the day when everyone is tan/mixed so racism can die down" Can someone please explain this to me?

the idea is supposedly that fewer and fewer people will give a shit that their partner is of another race/ethnicity and therefore the human race will eventually all just be the same shade of brown

You know I can probably get a minor in Sociology in the three semesters I have left. I wonder if my advisor would sign off on it?

the idea is supposedly that fewer and fewer people will give a shit that their partner is of another race/ethnicity and therefore the human race will eventually all just be the same shade of brown

There is a theory that people will always find a way to discriminate. Most likely through social class. I forgot what it is called.

You know I can probably get a minor in Sociology in the three semesters I have left. I wonder if my advisor would sign off on it?

There is a theory that people will always find a way to discriminate. Most likely through social class. I forgot what it is called.

I thought of doing the same thing - well, double majoring with sociology - but I realized that I already have one useless major.

Personally, I imagine that the tea-colored thing would make discrimination a cycle. Moment people start looking different again, racial attitudes will return to the 17th century or earlier.

akira28

But they're so damned correct about everything. Everything! They just run up in the threads, being right, and just knowing that shit. Zero doubt. It's amazing.

I thought of doing the same thing - well, double majoring with sociology - but I realized that I already have one useless major.

I love editing for TV and Film and that's my major but something like sociology could be helpful if I ever decide to write.

Personally, I imagine that the tea-colored thing would make discrimination a cycle. Moment people start looking different again, racial attitudes will return to the 17th century or earlier.

People will always make sure someone, somehow or someway, will be put into the category of the "other."

The whole "racism will be over when we all look alike" is some tired weird mess. The goal should be to embrace diversity not make everyone into the same fucking person.

Slayven

I don't even think it's being white, cause minorities in those threads can say some off the wall shit too.

I've always like Slay's view that it's due to a lack of life experience. People just don't know how to view things beyond their own bubble, and getting them to understand outside perspectives - especially in relation to race or gender or any other "tough" subjects - can be like pulling teeth.

So I understand the frustration with those topics. That said, I do think this thread would be better off with less thread whining.

I haven't even looked back at that thread since the announcement. I can't hang in fighting game threads too long unless it's a major.

I can teach you no more.

Bruce-Leroy-Glowing-2.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
How long has he been at it?

At least a few months, but maybe much longer than that. She's been working at the same store as him for over a year now, although I have no idea how long he's been working there.

If he has been at it for a year+ give him a message, if not let it fly and watch it crash and burn.

I would. Or tell her to give in to the temptations of the chocolate. lol but really tell him and just be mad honest with him about it. He'll respect you for it.

Simps can't be reasoned with, but leveling with him will rid you of any guilt you might feel otherwise and will leave him with only himself to blame for not listening to you.

I want to say message him, but I think this is the sort of thing brahs needs to have blow up in their face.

I'll probably just keep quiet for now. I do know he has no shot because my sis-in-law told my wife such. That he was "so nice", a "good friend", and "always responded to her texts quickly". She also mentioned he even followed her around the mall (where they work), and waited outside the stores while she shopped. :lol I cringed as my wife was telling me this stuff.

I just feel bad for him because out of the 3 sisters in family, this sis-in-law would never be brave enough to date a black guy (or any non-white dude). The dude is completely wasting his time.

Slayven

When talking older black folks I fill like I need a flow chart or to take notes.

"His mama's aunt's sister's cousin's barber on their father side them."

RedSwirl

When talking older black folks I fill like I need a flow chart or to take notes.

"His mama's aunt's sister's cousin's barber on their father side them."

I've given up trying to make sense of my family tree beyond my parents' generation. Hell, even that get's too confusing when you try to track down the biological fathers of my parents, aunts, and uncles.

Top Bottom