• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

I only fuck with anime/manga thats A) Really strange B) Hyper-violent C) Has giant robots in it. Mix and match.

Few exceptions. I got super into One Piece a few years ago but got a burnt out.

I dont think I have it in me to watch an anime without an ending. I know that sounds strange but let me reiterate. The last "long" anime I watched was One Piece. Loved every second but I hit that hump and had to stop. I have associates that watch Naruto religiously and I just dont get it. I was lost after Shippuden started. Is there any series out there that have clear cut "endings"?

I have done Yu Yu Hakusho(Loved that shit) and One Piece. Any other suggestions?

How not to.....

Tokubetsu

I dont think I have it in me to watch an anime without an ending. I know that sounds strange but let me reiterate. The last "long" anime I watched was One Piece. Loved every second but I hit that hump and had to stop. I have associates that watch Naruto religiously and I just dont get it. I was lost after Shippuden started. Is there any series out there that have clear cut "endings"?

I have done Yu Yu Hakusho(Loved that shit) and One Piece. Any other suggestions?

How not to.....

I don't know if this fits but I really love s-Cry-ed. One of my favorites from 00s. I own the dvd set.

Spinluck

How not to.....

Yea, those animes have waayy too many dump/filler episodes. I just can't tolerate it anymore.

Have you watched Gurren Lagann? The second half of it may not be as strong as the first, but it's a damn fine anime all-round. I'd also recommend Samurai Champloo EDIT: and Cowboy Bebop.

RedSwirl

I had to stop reading Naruto a few months ago when Naruto's zombie dad showed back up or something. Might get back on but I've got other shit to read. If I ever do finish the Naruto manga, I'll be done with shonen fight epics (assuming Titan doesn't turn into one).

On Naughty Dog, I just don't know. Last of Us was pretty good, but honestly not GOTY material in my opinion, and I'm not totally sure why. The story was pretty good but honestly, I don't feel any desire to play through TLOU again, but I could totally keep running through Uncharted 2 and even 3.

Uncharted 2 is one of my top PS3 games just because the core design is so good: levels, set pieces, etc. Uncharted 3 get's hate because it wasn't the quantum leap over Uncharted 2 that that game was over Uncharted 1. In truth, Uncharted 3 is still about as good as 2 (perhaps not the latter half of U3). They're just fun, well-designed games.

I think with U2 Naughty Dog hit the peak of what they could do with the PS3 tech-wise.

I don't know if this fits but I really love s-Cry-ed. One of my favorites from 00s. I own the dvd set.

Yea, those animes have waayy too many dump/filler episodes. I just can't tolerate it anymore.

Have you watched Gurren Lagann? The second half of it may not be as strong as the first, but it's a damn fine anime all-round. I'd also recommend Samurai Champloo EDIT: and Cowboy Bebop.

I should have clarified. I have seen the "majors". Champloo, Bebop, and Lagan. What I meant was is there an anime that is over 30 episodes that has a clear cut ending that is worth investing time into? Now as you well know I am a huge fan of Sentai and Tokatsu related stuff(Last big series I devoted to was Den-O) so I just want something with some length and an ending? Any other suggestions?

On Naughty Dog, I just don't know. Last of Us was pretty good, but honestly not GOTY material in my opinion, and I'm not totally sure why. The story was pretty good but honestly, I don't feel any desire to play through TLOU again, but I could totally keep running through Uncharted 2 and even 3.

What all came out this year? I mean what are we gonna say are the contenders? Im not worrying about the rest of GAF but BCT what is your opinion on the GOTY? TLoU is a definite contender alongside GTA5 and possible SR4 but is there any others that we can mention?

My top two picks for GOTY would be Bioshock Infinite and TLOU. GTA5 is good but not GOTY level for me. The only other possible off the top of my head might be Beyond but I haven't played it yet and it doesn't seem to have generated much buzz so it probably falls short.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Last of Us is a great game but... honestly, I think it resonates with a lot of people here more than others because of the way it handles immersion and interaction. Its a damned good game, it really is - but I won't ever be able to say its a better game than GTA5.

Also, I moved into my new place today. Its pretty fucking legit.

Tokubetsu

I should have clarified. I have seen the "majors". Champloo, Bebop, and Lagan. What I meant was is there an anime that is over 30 episodes that has a clear cut ending that is worth investing time into? Now as you well know I am a huge fan of Sentai and Tokatsu related stuff(Last big series I devoted to was Den-O) so I just want something with some length and an ending? Any other suggestions?

What all came out this year? I mean what are we gonna say are the contenders? Im not worrying about the rest of GAF but BCT what is your opinion on the GOTY? TLoU is a definite contender alongside GTA5 and possible SR4 but is there any others that we can mention?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twelve_Kingdoms

45 episodes, and often overlooked? If you want something longer than that then I got nothing besides maybe older shonen stuff that have already ended. Fist of the North Star and Yu Yu Hakusho are the only shows that went over 100 eps besides DB that I actually finished.

Spinluck

I see, my b lol. I honestly have nothing at the moment. I love anime, but I'm not really a connoisseur of the genre. Especially since I've gotten really picky with which ones I watch lately. I'm about to start Fate-Zero though, hope that's good.

Also, I moved into my new place today. Its pretty fucking legit.

Where are you stationed?

DY_nasty

I see, my b lol. I honestly have nothing at the moment. I love anime, but I'm not really a connoisseur of the genre. Especially since I've gotten really picky with which ones I watch lately. I'm about to start Fate-Zero though, hope that's good.

Where are you stationed?

I'm still at Ft Hood. Still sucks to work here, but I'm in a much better place.

Fate-Zero is good but just.... I felt it wasn't particularly satisfying if that makes any sense. Everything is high quality though.

Fucking loved scryed when adult swim showed, honestly all the animes i watched came from toonami. The other stuff i watch came from guys recommending it online

DY_nasty

Confession: I have yet to play The Last of Us.

I played it almost out of obligation to start off... I've seen enough zombie-ish games and survival horror has been a decaying genre for a long, long time now as well.

It still kind of is. But the storytelling and relationship between gameplay and narration is probably the best I've ever seen in this type of game. Nothing touches it in that aspect. And the gameplay is really good too. Looks great. Everything feels 'right'.

I like it. A lot. I just couldn't say its a better overall product than GTA5. GTA5 basically topped off the generation for me.

I told ya'll Gaf would still love TLoU at the end of the year, this isn't Bioshock Infinite.

I just finished both recently.

Even outside of the crazy ending Bioshock was worst in the series IMO. It's gameplay was ok but didn't have the creepy factor of the others.

TLoU was really good, I thought it went a bit long and I didn't like the fact that I didn't have a choice in the ending becuase I didn't really agree with it at all. I would put it in my top 10 for this gen though.

I am starting Beyond Two Souls this weekend, trying to make it through my backlog before next-gen hits (impossible).

Gattsu25

Banned
I stopped playing TLoU a few hours in.

They meet at the end of civilization... a bunch of scrappy survivors that need to scavenge to make ends meet.

*~3 hours later, after firing 7000 bullets and killing 300 humans enemies*

I just couldn't take the game serious.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
gtav came so close to goty but the last few missions felt boring and uninspired.

Bioshock is the only big game I haven't played this year not counting the annual cod,bf4, and assassins.

As of now I don't feel any game deserve goty. Don't get me wrong a lot of good games came out it's just that nothing blew me away. maybe I'm just burnout on the tail end of this long cycle.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I only fuck with anime/manga thats A) Really strange B) Hyper-violent C) Has giant robots in it. Mix and match.

Few exceptions. I got super into One Piece a few years ago but got a burnt out.

yeah One Piece is my favorite one but the scope is insane. Once its over though I think it will go mainstream because people will be able to plot out a viewing schedule for it.

right now Kill La Kill is getting my attention and it has everything you mentioned but Giant Robots. Gurren Lagann though sounds perfect for you.

Let me ask you all a question. I was watching a web personality who I sometimes respect his opinion, and to make a long story short he decided to make a "Games of the Generation" Top 10 list. Now my question for you is is it even possible to make a list of this magnatude and a)not own or have played any of the games on one of the consoles(exclusives) for bias or otherwise,b) list a collection of games from the 90's for a game this gen. Im just asking out of curiousity.

Now back to the GOTY-
TLoU was an enriching experience. A nice combination of solid gameplay and fantastic voice acting conveyed on a nicely done story. It was a nice swan song for this generation that has been rife with console shooters and rehashed sequels of no value. It was also a nice step in the whole survival horror genre that definitely needed a shot in the arm from the gross negligence of wanting a more "action" oriented game.

GTA5 was the culmination and return to form of a giant juggernaut that delivered on all cylinders. It had pretty solid gameplay and a nicely assorted cast of characters that told at its core a heist story. The biggest point in my opinion is the various perspectives from the 3 protagonist. Seeing events through their eyes was good. But at its core it gave fans everything they wanted in a GTA game, but also was able to show that there wasnt going to sacrifice to make certain aspects happen. It was a game that kept on giving when it didnt have to.

SR4 is a love letter to the 80s/90s and to everything the inner kid in us grew up with. It was a superhero game that wasnt a superhero game. It had set pieces, amazing dialogue and fantastic music and mechanics that differentiated it from its humble beginnings as a GTA clone. It was a series that we watched grow this gen into something great and do something spectacular.

Bioshock Infinite was a great scifi story that we have heard before handed to us as a game. It was a commentary on lack of choice in games nicely wrapped in world in the clouds. The gameplay was the weakest link in a game that had one of the most memorable endings in a game in quite a while.

I think im missing Tomb Raider and thats about it. I know theres other games like Pokemon and others so keep it coming.

For GOTG:

GTA V
The Last of Us
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Uncharted 2
RDR
Bioshock
Mass Effect 3
Gears of War
Skyrim
Borderlands 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

Any of these are valid choices. I put untold hours into ME3 multiplayer, which was completely unexpected. RDR/AC2/GTA V/Skyrim are Open World god-tier.
Uncharted 2 + MP = Gold. Bioshock, no explanation needed. Gears changed the game for everyone. The Last of Us is a perfect blend. Borderlands 2 is fuck awesome, and Metal Gear Solid 4 was fantastic.

JohnDoe

Banned
It's the best platformer of last gen man. It's like one of the few wii games i really enjoyed.
Have you guys bought Ace Attorney 5 yet?

Deprive

Oh, definitely. Bleach is better. But it's feeling like the conclusion is heading towards a Hitman:Reborn style clusterfuck of nonsense.

A few months ago I would never have agreed with that Bleach is better. But yeah it is now :|

This current fight has dragged on for too long. All the power ups went from "hell yeah" to "smh seriously?" Kishi needs to wrap this shit up.

Don't think Bleach will have a clusterfuck ending. But shit really should have ended with Air Aizen.

DY_nasty

Skyrim and RDR. Yeah, have to agree there too.
I stopped playing TLoU a few hours in.

They meet at the end of civilization... a bunch of scrappy survivors that need to scavenge to make ends meet.

*~3 hours later, after firing 7000 bullets and killing 300 humans enemies*

I just couldn't take the game serious.

Massive difference in experience if you play the game on a lower difficulty.
Can't ever agree with that.

Same. Its just a platformer. When I think of GOTG, I want to see boundaries pushed. Nintendo didn't do shit in that regard outside of WiiFit.

JohnDoe

Banned
Same. Its just a platformer. When I think of GOTG, I want to see boundaries pushed. Nintendo didn't do shit in that regard outside of WiiFit.

It's an incredibly well made platformer with amazing level design.
And the space/planet concept did push boundaries for platformers, it just didn't become a standard for the genre.

I mean Nintendo ain't what it used to be but they did a really good job with Mario Galaxy.

Thread had a good run.

lol

DY_nasty

Nintendo reminds me so fucking much of Disney Animation when it comes to fanbase stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom