• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you guys watch True Detective?

Christ this show is fucking good. The entire episode was great, but then came that final scene and it just put it over the top

Will check it out, trailer looked good. Crazy how TV has elevated to movie levels of quality over the past decade.
So Samuel L Jackson stomped a mudhole in some ass earlier before walking it dry.

*nods approvingly*

Oh wow.....they don't even closely resemble...smh.

Well GAF looks like my life is looking up. So I'm a freelance graphic designer of modest skill (So basically my income is in the 40s unlike some big names bringing in 6 figures). I've been really working on hand lettering for the past few months (I still suck with caligraphy pens like no one's business though).

Anyways, a local author with a publisher asked me to do her book cover using hand lettering. This is pretty huge to me because prior I really just stuck with branding and UI/UX work, but I'm finding that hand lettering and everything it entails in my true joy whereas I find UX/UI work annoying to the point I kinda hate it (though branding will forever be fun even with a horrible client). We talked about price and outright ownership of the illustrations and needless to say rent will be paid for a good 6 months off this. I have to give thanks to one of my good friends who passed doing it and recommending her to me.

Makes me want to get my website up and running by the end of this week, which I might just forgo my own coding and just working with something like Squarespace (but Kirby CMS is so gooood tho!)

Very, very good shit.

RedSwirl

My strongest game has always been Soul Calibur.

Soul Calibur 6, if/when it happens will probably be the game to finally get me on the PS4.

SSF4, UMvC3, Soul, Tekken, P4A, GGXXAC+, Battle Fantasia were my jam. If any of you wanna ever play them on PS3 let me know I own some of those. We could have a BCT lobby.

And for the ladies of BCT, what would you do if your man got you a gift you didn't like? How do you think he would react? And would you be cool/understand if he reacted ill to it?

Gorillaz

Well GAF looks like my life is looking up. So I'm a freelance graphic designer of modest skill (So basically my income is in the 40s unlike some big names bringing in 6 figures). I've been really working on hand lettering for the past few months (I still suck with caligraphy pens like no one's business though).

Anyways, a local author with a publisher asked me to do her book cover using hand lettering. This is pretty huge to me because prior I really just stuck with branding and UI/UX work, but I'm finding that hand lettering and everything it entails in my true joy whereas I find UX/UI work annoying to the point I kinda hate it (though branding will forever be fun even with a horrible client). We talked about price and outright ownership of the illustrations and needless to say rent will be paid for a good 6 months off this. I have to give thanks to one of my good friends who passed doing it and recommending her to me.

Makes me want to get my website up and running by the end of this week, which I might just forgo my own coding and just working with something like Squarespace (but Kirby CMS is so gooood tho!)

I'll ask more in a PM but how is graphic design job/industry wise? I thought about honestly looking to get a degree in it at some point

How much doe crayons and paper cost? You ain't painting the sixteen chapels.

I once rhymed six teens with sixteen and sistine in a song I wrote in 2007. Oddly enough, I also mention "simp" on that same song, which is probably a shock to GAFfers who think the word was invented last year.

In summary, get out of my head Slayven

I'll ask more in a PM but how is graphic design job/industry wise? I thought about honestly looking to get a degree in it at some point

You get out what you put in. It's still considered a relatively safe degree and the amount you make will really depend on what you specialize in. The best thing to do if you're going for a degree in graphic design is to aim to work at a design firm when you graduate. I say this mostly for the sheer experience you'll pick up, and even if you don't learn anything on the design front you'll learn alot on the financial front which translates to freelancing and actually making it. Honestly if you even put in a mocidum of effort into really becoming a designer and understanding things like color theory, typography, UX patterns; you can easily land a decent starting job ($35k+) at any small design firm. I actually applied for a position with Hoodzpah out in Orange County, despite the fact they're a very small studio they work with clients who spend major money.

People look at graphic design as an “easy” degree and you see tons of OT threads with people whining about simplistic logos, but there's much more to it than sitting in Illustrator for a few hours and creating a logo. Many clients worth their salt want to see your rough drafts (sketches most likely) and want to know how you came up with that design. And simple answers like “it looks cool” really don't hold weight at all.

Damn, good shit Angelus.

how many zeroes were there

Flat out it's a $12,000 contract.

You get out what you put in. It's still considered a relatively safe degree and the amount you make will really depend on what you specialize in. The best thing to do if you're going for a degree in graphic design is to aim to work at a design firm when you graduate. I say this mostly for the sheer experience you'll pick up, and even if you don't learn anything on the design front you'll learn alot on the financial front which translates to freelancing and actually making it.

People look at graphic design as an “easy” degree and you see tons of OT threads with people whining about simplistic logos, but there's much more to it than sitting in Illustrator for a few hours and creating a logo. Many clients worth their salt want to see your rough drafts (sketches most likely) and want to know how you came up with that design. And simple answers like “it looks cool” really don't hold weight at all.

Design degrees aren't easy. Good design is work. People think "oh so and so can do that", then you see that work and try not to laugh in their face if they're a client who had their nephew or whatever do some shit for them in the past.

Many congrats, man. Many.

Design degrees aren't easy. Good design is work. People think "oh so and so can do that", then you see that work and try not to laugh in their face if they're a client who had their nephew or whatever do some shit for them in the past.

Honestly when I run into people with the whole “I can do that too”. I always tell them show me and majority of times they make really simple mistakes that really just scream you can't do that.

Especially people who don't even bother with kerning, ugh that shit is my biggest pet peeve. It's like how can anyone NOT see it!?

Slayven

When I finish my YA novel about a black teen that gets sent to wizardry school, where he finds out that his talent for rapping might make him the greatest wizard of them all, Analeus will do my cover art.

When I finish my YA novel about a black teen that gets sent to wizardry school, where he finds out that his talent for rapping might make him the greatest wizard of them all, Analeus will do my cover art.

No one wants to read your thirst novels bruh; besides I'm sure Devo will hit you with defamation of character as soon as you release it.

Honestly when I run into people with the whole “I can do that too”. I always tell them show me and majority of times they make really simple mistakes that really just scream you can't do that.

Especially people who don't even bother with kerning, ugh that shit is my biggest pet peeve. It's like how can anyone NOT see it!?

Kerning, tracking, tangents, using a typeface that's not meant for body copy, lack of grids, lack of hierarchy, orphans, etc. Makes me lose my shit.

Kerning, tracking, tangents, using a typeface that's not meant for body copy, lack of grids, lack of hierarchy, orphans, etc. Makes me lose my shit.

God yes, especially people who use the wrong typeface for their project period. Oh and the people who abuse Helvetica (and use it for body text).

Lack of clear hierarchy is the main reason I can't get behind Microsoft's Metro entire design philosophy it's so damn annoying to me. I can't stand metro at all, absolutely hate it.

Since when Devo an elf princess or a Naiad? Love trangle bitches!!!

Knowing you, you'll probably call the character Devo anyway.

Slayven

God yes, especially people who use the wrong typeface for their project period. Oh and the people who abuse Helvetica (and use it for body text).

Lack of clear hierarchy is the main reason I can't get behind Microsoft's Metro entire design philosophy it's so damn annoying to me. I can't stand metro at all, absolutely hate it.

Knowing you, you'll probably call the character Devo anyway.
Metro makes me feel like an old man, it is a terrible UI.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gaga makes bank on her international tours. Even with a lackluster album release she is still bringing home the bacon.

Rio I think only a handful of girls visit here. Also posting is kinda slow everywhere, I'd wager these winter months are the slowest of the year.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Congrats Angelus :3

And for the ladies of BCT, what would you do if your man got you a gift you didn't like? How do you think he would react? And would you be cool/understand if he reacted ill to it?

Hmm... well I'm honestly passive aggressive with gifts (even from family and friends because let's face it, bad gifts can be pretty common lol). Even if I hated it I would keep it out of respect. Now, behind closed doors, I'd hide it where I could forget about it and only bring it out when I know the dude is visiting lol

But in the event he saw through my rouse, I could understand if he got pissed off, a lot of thought goes into a gift and if I hated it, I expect frustration.

I already hate how the bathrooms in most american homes the toilet isn't in it's own cubby/water closet. And if there isn't a medicine cabinet to hide brushes in, double fucking bullshit.

Why would I want to port-a-potty experience when I'm in my own home? As for the medicine cabinets, if you can have 2+ bathrooms the superior layout is no medicine cabinets in the guest access bathrooms and a ton of storage in the Master and/or Family bathrooms.

The shit I despise is the trend of having the closet located in a way where you have to walk through the master bath to get to it.

Why would I want to port-a-potty experience when I'm in my own home? As for the medicine cabinets, if you can have 2+ bathrooms the superior layout is no medicine cabinets in the guest access bathrooms and a ton of storage in the Master and/or Family bathrooms.

The shit I despise is the trend of having the closet located in a way where you have to walk through the master bath to get to it.

Why would you want the place you shit in separated from the rest of the bathroom?

This Kuro no Basuke doe! Shit is so good and at the same time soooo cheesy. “The Zone” lmao oh man this manga is amazing.

I'd rather not feel like I'm going in a tiny box. Also, I have no issue with just closing the lid before I flush.

I remember when I was a kid telling my mom the poop/piss/water particles land on her toothbrush when she doesn't close the lid when she flushes…she's closed the lid ever since.

Her 7 year old son mortified her.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This Kuro no Basuke doe! Shit is so good and at the same time soooo cheesy. “The Zone” lmao oh man this manga is amazing.

I remember when I was a kid telling my mom the poop/piss/water particles land on her toothbrush when she doesn't close the lid when she flushes…she's closed the lid ever since.

Her 7 year old son mortified her.
Yeah. Basketball is heavier than life my dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom