• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibkq9q9XKb3QB9.gif

This is how I'm feeling goddammit. I need more beer. But can't drive. And I made shrimp tacos.

Kelis is Dominican black, she's genetically predisposed to being ratchet.

What if Jay didn't become a lazy rapper, but is simply too busy orchestrating ever single failing in Nas's life?

Still mad about Ether.

Don't worry, Jay still gets choked up when he hears the word.

Nas Won brehs.

Nas Discography > Jays

Gaf-Hop would straight up crucify you and your entire genealogy if they read that.

Trey

GAF-Hop would be sympathetic to Nas, musically. More Nas stans than Jay stans, and none are as down for the cause as PD.

cdyhybrid

All depends on what you're looking for from who you think won.

My only interactions with either of them are consuming their music, so their music is all I care about. I don't really care that Jay has Beyonce or more money, because I don't see any of that shit - I'm not his business partner or something. I like Nas' music better (although they're both good), so Nas won.

Furyous

Nas (Lost) worked for Hov. We haven't forgot about the 3D glasses that came with Nastradamus. Nas gotta tour to pay Kelis 55K a month anyway. Vol. 3 >>>> Stillmatic.

Jay is the greatest. We can all agree that Jay/Nas>>>>>>> 50.

all i know is this...

i lived in Bed-Stuy when Ether dropped.

i remember that week.

everyone was depressed, heads hung low.

people were calling out sick for work.

i heard rumors of some people moving in fam living in the BX to hide their shame.

Queens niggas would ride thru blasting it outta their rap cars...

Nas won.

anything after that is like talking about how you beat Jordan on the Wizards.

Slayven

all i know is this...

i lived in Bed-Stuy when Ether dropped.

i remember that week.

everyone was depressed, heads hung low.

people were calling out sick for work.

i heard rumors of some people moving in fam living in the BX to hide their shame.

Queens niggas would ride thru blasting it outta their rap cars...

Nas won.

I love your Nas won stories. Someone should film them like those civil war PBS specials.

When It Was Written came out I remember people hating it. "Fuckin' Trackmasters". "Fucking mafioso fake gangster bullshit". "Goddamn R&B bullshit with Lauryn Hill".

I think it's gotten a lot more respect once we got out of that weird, late 90's time period in hip-hop. Listening to it on its own, the rhymes are still dope, and there's still some good production on it. But in 96? Shit was wack. WHERE'S MAH LARGE PROFESSOR/PREMIER/Q-TIP BEATS!?

Trey

When It Was Written came out I remember people hating it. "Fuckin' Trackmasters". "Fucking mafioso fake gangster bullshit". "Goddamn R&B bullshit with Lauryn Hill".

I think it's gotten a lot more respect once we got out of that weird, late 90's time period in hip-hop. Listening to it on its own, the rhymes are still dope, and there's still some good production on it. But in 96? Shit was wack. WHERE'S MAH LARGE PROFESSOR/PREMIER/Q-TIP BEATS!?

Well, so was Reasonable Doubt. 96 was crazy for rap, so classic quality tapes lost a little shine cuz the entire year was bright.

I don't personally consider IWW a classic, but it's not an unheard of opinion.

DominoKid

i wish that story about Blake Griffin smacking fire out of Bieber was true. i don't even hate dude but that gives me a fucking hilarious mental image.

Well, so was Reasonable Doubt. 96 was crazy for rap, so classic quality tapes lost a little shine cuz the entire year was bright.

I don't personally consider IWW a classic, but it's not an unheard of opinion.

It Was Written was actually the first Nas album I ever listened to, so I never really hated it as much as others seemed to.

I don't think Jay caught as much hate for Reasonable Doubt, since that was his first album. There was no previous work to compare it to, whereas Nas was a "sellout", comparatively speaking.

But I dunno, my perception could be colored by the fact I was mostly looking at online discussions and hip-hop print magazines at the time, which were all NY focused, and worshipped Illmatic. I lived in Dallas, so my real life circle was all stuck on No Limit albums. It Was Written was a breath of goddamned fresh air, lyrically speaking, in comparison to those, lol

I still liked looking at that Mercedes album cover in the back of Source magazine though

Tokubetsu

Man Nas' worse album is still a better listen to alot of Jay's discography.

I'd rather listen Amil's joint than Kingdom Come, BP3, MCHG to name a few.

I would rather listen to all of those albums back to back than having to hear a single track off Nastradamus ever again. Nastradamus is what an abortion sounds like.

and I *hate* Jay-Z with a passion. You can ask gaf-hop. I haven't even heard a single song off MCHG yet.

I would rather listen to all of those albums back to back than having to hear a single track off Nastradamus ever again. Nastradamus is what an abortion sounds like.

and I *hate* Jay-Z with a passion. You can ask gaf-hop. I haven't even heard a single song off MCHG yet.

I'd rather listen to Nastradamus than MCHG. That shit sounded a bunch of cats in jail in an all out orgy.

Silky

Banned
Nas (Lost) worked for Hov. We haven't forgot about the 3D glasses that came with Nastradamus. Nas gotta tour to pay Kelis 55K a month anyway. Vol. 3 >>>> Stillmatic.

Jay is the greatest. We can all agree that Jay/Nas>>>>>>> 50.

but 50 has blood on the sand, he wins by default

So we've had snow and ice the last couple days. TD works at a pizza joint. Long story short, there were huge lines the days he was working, some woman of course decides to waste everyone's time needing details on the ingredients. She asks further details on the pepperoni. The pepperoni. Get your Portlandia skit ass out of here.

cdyhybrid

So we've had snow and ice the last couple days. TD works at a pizza joint. Long story short, there were huge lines the days he was working, some woman of course decides to waste everyone's time needing details on the ingredients. She asks further details on the pepperoni. The pepperoni. Get your Portlandia skit ass out of here.

It's not a skit or a TV show. It's your reality.

Furyous

but 50 has blood on the sand, he wins by default

50 has the more lucrative hustle as well during his run. He flipped his run through the industry into million dollar movie, book, and consumer electronic deals. However, his act got old quickly.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
50's Vitamin Water stake still blows my mind. He got $400mil just off of that deal alone.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

maybe the farmers market she normally gets her food from was closed due to the storm

tmdorsey

I can name 5+ albums I prefer over Illmatic and don't get me started on It Was Written. I have to wonder how old you guys were in the 90s.

If you are at all concerned about eating healthy the word pepperoni should never come out your mouth.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom