• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

harSon

Banned
Yeah, the only downsides to number two are responsibility, workload and accountability. There's also performance tied to it, and it'd be my neck on the line should things go South. The IT job is extremely easy going, and I basically make up my own schedule as I come and go as I please between our two sites. It'd basically be an 8-5 and not much more on top of that in normal situations, while a lot more would be expected of me with the managerial job. So technically, while I'll have time in theory for school, I'm not so sure that'll actually be the case when push comes to shove. I'm also not the biggest fans of one of the people I'd be managing, but it is what it is. But you guys are right, managerial experience at that level is pretty valuable.

Kreed

Yeah, the only downsides to number two are responsibility, workload and accountability. There's also performance tied to it, and it'd be my neck on the line should things go South. The IT job is extremely easy going, and I basically make up my own schedule as I come and go as I please between our two sites. It'd basically be an 8-5 and not much more on top of that in normal situations, while a lot more would be expected of me with the managerial job. So technically, while I'll have time in theory for school, I'm not so sure that'll actually be the case when push comes to shove. I'm also not the biggest fans of one of the people I'd be managing, but it is what it is. But you guys are right, managerial experience at that level is pretty valuable.

As a believer in enjoying what you do for a living and not complaining about your job 24/7, if the #2 job is going to be a pain in the ass, then I'd go for #1.

FreeMufasa

wRgipRD.jpg

My boy got ppl mad :lol

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
damn, I feel like the only crab not moving up.
#areyouniggashiring?

While I do need more schooling my background in graphic design and my above basic knowledge of computers/programs should be able to get my foot in the door somewhere.

I probably need to network but I don't even know where to start with that.

any suggestions would be welcomed.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I've dealt with various forms of prejudice and racism throughout my life: from old school deep south, physical, and new age. This was the first time I've felt stares so intense from a guy, over me having fun with a girl of a different race. Strong enough for me to laugh, continue on for a while, turn back and still see the ice grill. Shit put me on quiet edge for a bit. Mother fucker finally decided to move on with his life after I gave him the killa Cam, you mad face. Like, you could see in his eyes that he wanted to step. Wtf. Lol

Not even surprised, considering the area, but smh still.

I figured that might be the case but all I'm seeing is one brother and three eastern sisters lol

I think the whole pic might not be showing up for me, because the bottom half is just white space.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Identifying where the majority of the people you want to eventually call your peers congregate is a good start. Don't be afraid to use social media to your advantage, with a view to progressing such interactions to real life.

I tell aspiring games industry peeps to get themselves to online seminars and hangouts, conventions, conferences, game jams, etc. If you are taking care of all the other stuff to make yourself hireable, then sometimes, all it takes is being able to physically hand over your CV/ resume to a recruiter and in person, explain what it is you want to do.

Slayven

And you talk about Wii U owners. I bet the chicken sandwich was one of them junts from that Kroger stand too.

Us vita people are a proud yet humble folk, we know what our system is and isn't. Wii U folks believe Bayonetta 2 is going to turn it into a superstar.

RedSwirl

damn, I feel like the only crab not moving up.
#areyouniggashiring?

While I do need more schooling my background in graphic design and my above basic knowledge of computers/programs should be able to get my foot in the door somewhere.

any suggestions would be welcomed.

Nah I'm in the same shit man.

Thing is, I feel like I have enough schooling and experience in journalism at this point to at least get a toe in the door SOMEWHERE, even if it's a flash-in-the-pan gaming news site hardly anyone's ever heard of.

And most of the people I can network with aren't on LinkedIn. They're spread out all over the place, both online and geographically.

double jump

I tell aspiring games industry peeps to get themselves to online seminars and hangouts, conventions, conferences, game jams, etc. If you are taking care of all the other stuff to make yourself hireable, then sometimes, all it takes is being able to physically hand over your CV/ resume to a recruiter and in person, explain what it is you want to do.

Wow yeah I never even thought about attending events to network. Legit thanks.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Wow yeah I never even thought about attending events to network. Legit thanks.

It was trips to PAX East and E3 last year that really sealed the jump for me. Press the flesh so to speak.

And i know people like to make jokes, but having a solid LinkedIn profile is invaluable.

harSon

Banned
I'm tempted to jump on that L bandwagon and cop the refurbished Wii U for $200. I know better, but I still kind of want to make the jump....

double jump

I'm tempted to jump on that L bandwagon and cop the refurbished Wii U for $200. I know better, but I still kind of want to make the jump....

Yeah I feel you. I've been eyeing one for a minute now. but logically I don't have time for another system plus I still have tons of unfinished ps3 games. I wouldn't want it to collect dust like my 360 and Wii do now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you want it, just get it. It doesn't have enough games I want yet, but it's not a bad purchase at this point.

Slayven

So i brought this Vita used from gamestop. Thought it was the Wifi model, turns out it is the wifi and 3g model. Gamestop letting money walk out the door, smh

I bet people who think what the surveillance guy does is some sort of great social commentary thought the Joker from the Nolan films was one of the best and deepest characters of all time.

A thought popped into my head when I woke up this morning. After watching Cap 2 I'm convinced this movie should have started off phase 2. It's a grounded story that leaves lasting effects on the MCU. I think the other movies/TV shows would have benefited from it.

Spoilers stuff from CA2 in tags

#1) Iron Man 3---
One of the things that bothered me is Mandarin was running around blowing things up and SHIELD did squat from what I remember. At least with this you can say he took advantage of a less secure world. Tony could still deal with his PTSD, but with the fallout from CA2 you can pile on on the fact that he almost accidentally contributed to the death of millions of people including himself.

#2) Thor---
I got nothing for space elves.Loki finds out where his scepter is and infiltrates hydra or something.

#3) Agents of Shield---
Have the show be jump off point for the rebuilding of SHIELD. With all of the agency's dirty laundry out in the air Fury decides to wake up Colson before going off the grid. Everyone thinks he's dead, so it would be great opportunity to assemble a shadow unit of sorts to help clean up the hydra problem. You can still have the procedural format that TV execs want and can move the universe forward a bit. Since Maria Hill is the only other person besides Fury who knows Colson is alive she will have to become head of Shield to supply the team. That part is up in the air. Her being interviewed at Stark Industries was kind of sad for some reason.

cdyhybrid

It's funny because they state in the movie itself that there is no depth to the Joker. "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

RedSwirl

I bet people who think what the surveillance guy does is some sort of great social commentary thought the Joker from the Nolan films was one of the best and deepest characters of all time.

Well there are people who think that whole movie is a microcosm of the war on terror. Some descriptions of TDK even calling the Joker a "terrorist."

I think at the very least the whole "world without rules," theme is an intentional central point to the movie.

Top Bottom