• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Slayven

Yep, that hush hush okey-doke

That's why it's always so funny to me when people talk about moral decay.

Got two aunts with children by the same man on my mom's side, too. I found that out like 5 years ago, and my mom was like, "oh.. you didn't know?"

FUCK NO, I DIDN'T KNOW.

Man the shit I heard that went down in my family,...man. Some of it didn't come out until someone died. The he said, she said facebook drama does not compare.

So I just found out I have a shitload of half uncles/aunts I've never met and probably never will.

See, the whole American stereotype about black women having children from multiple fathers (that probably isn't remotely unique to black women in America) never really hit me personally. My generation of the family is pretty much all full siblings and stable marriages. My parents and grandparents generation however is another story. I've already accepted that I'll probably never meet either of my biological grandfathers.

Anybody else ever actually tried to investigate shit like that in their own families?

My mom was adopted, found her birth family recently. Her dad had like 4 different wives and kids with each so she basically has several half-siblings. Found out late though, parents both dead, some siblings deceased or suffering from alzheimers. I met an aunt and a cousin though. Pretty cool stuff.

Your were named after your biological whom you've tracked down?

When I was coming up I was told that the guy I'm named after is not my father. When I started showing interest I went to find out. My mother confirmed everyone else was lying, she knew what she was doing and smacked me for good measure. I have never met the guy before in my life. A year or 2 ago I found him. He was in jail for being a sexual predator. And had been for a number of years. It wasn't until I looked at the Louisiana Sex Offenders website did I finally find the fucker. I chose not to meet him. I didn't need for the first 30 I don't need him the next.

What's interesting about finding family is figuring out what kind of stuff seems predisposed to people despite being raised entirely different.

What's interesting about finding family is figuring out what kind of stuff seems predisposed to people despite being raised entirely different.

That is so true. I thought I looked exclusively like my mother, but I'm told my mannerisms and certain feature are all my father.

When I was coming up I was told that the guy I'm named after is not my father. When I started showing interest I went to find out. My mother confirmed everyone else was lying, she knew what she was doing and smacked me for good measure. I have never met the guy before in my life. A year or 2 ago I found him. He was in jail for being a sexual predator. And had been for a number of years. It wasn't until I looked at the Louisiana Sex Offenders website did I finally find the fucker. I chose not to meet him. I didn't need for the first 30 I don't need him the next. No, you know what, Moris? I'm gonna get through life without him, I'm gonna get Naka a great job without him, I'm gonna marry me a beautiful honey and I'm having a whole bunch of kids. I'm gonna be a better father than he ever was. And I sure as hell don't need him for that, 'cause there ain't a damn thing he can teach me about how to love my kids!

fixed for Fresh Prince

That shit seemed to happen a lot one generation back.

My uncle was told that he wasn't my mom's brother for years (cause my granddad stepped out with a black woman) he was raised with them but they were told they were cousins instead of siblings.

All my aunts knew but lost contact with him. He had a bit of an idea that something was up, but was too young to really piece it together. He contacted one of my aunts via e-mail one day out of the blue with a laundry list of questions.

He has been there every Xmas and thanksgiving since....that first year was really awkward when only my aunts knew who he was and then they all started drinking and reminiscencing. Seeing a grown black man cry while singing spanish songs is a sight to behold, he looked like a giant weight was taken off of him.

Little Mac has super armor and maybe hyper armor?

Greninja is in. One of the best gen 6 pokemons in terms of design & coolness you say?!

Done I'm sold *drops mic, walks off stage*

I don't have a Wii U, I want one but I that'll be a purchase when I move out. I'll get my smash fill on my 3DS.

Gorillaz

So I just found out I have a shitload of half uncles/aunts I've never met and probably never will.

See, the whole American stereotype about black women having children from multiple fathers (that probably isn't remotely unique to black women in America) never really hit me personally. My generation of the family is pretty much all full siblings and stable marriages. My parents and grandparents generation however is another story. I've already accepted that I'll probably never meet either of my biological grandfathers.

Anybody else ever actually tried to investigate shit like that in their own families?

I know most of my mom side of the family but my dads side is broken as fuck. After talking to him about it this past december during graduation I've been seriously thinking bout doing some research on them

Don't kno bout them having skeletons as bad as some of yall mention, but I wouldnt be surprised since my grandpa (might be great grandpa) apparently "got around" a lot, and left some family behind in some areas. Idk why they waited this long to drop info bout it either but I took it as dads side of the family just hated wach other that much.

BlackJace

That new Final Destination though. A lot of things in that Direct excited me, but the scale of that shit was wild. Hopefully it's not too distracting when fighting.

Gorillaz

Does this mean I have to buy the Wii L now? Is mario kart on 3DS? WIll Smash 4 still be good on 3DS

IF I"m going to take this L, I want to know if there is anyway to bypass it.

What in the..

The only thing that is funnier then the fact that it was used out of nowhere (in a way that doesn't make sense) is the fact he spelled it with the hard er. Like that friend who always blast rap music and says the lyrics loud as hell at home when his friends aren't around

Nakazato

Oh boy... yep sounds like my fam

I'm mom told me her father was dead at 5 at 10 I found out he only lived over the bridge. My mom has 2 more sisters (5) and a brother (maybe 2 rumor has it I have a 15-22 yearold uncle). The I got to meet her grandma.. who had 10 kids.. with that I have about 30 cousins or more on that side. But they all accepted me which is cool. Just the other day I found out my aunt is only like 3-5 years older than me and looks like she's 18.

BlackJace

I love how they showed the competitive smash scene respect throughout it all.

Same, some have already expressed some more skepticism, but I really think that it'll all work out in the end.

For a minute I was thinking "Candy Man telling kids they are fucked again?"

Both products will probably bomb tho. (I don't even know if a new FD is in the works)

What in the..

I was about to say something, but decided against it.

RedSwirl

Bro, my dad discovered his mom, wasn't him mom when getting a passport for a cruise. Dude was like 35-40. Found out that his "cousin" was his mother (his dad was his dad tho... awkward.), netted me about 8 more aunts/uncles.

Oh my mom figured her shit out around age 22... right before she was about to leave her home state for the first time with my dad... to live on base in Germany.

This, in 1980, was also the first time she saw color television and had to call back home about how Little Joe's shit was actually green.

I don't even try to figure out my dad's side just due to sheer numbers. I was told you'd need an aircraft to get the whole family in one picture.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Does this mean I have to buy the Wii L now? Is mario kart on 3DS? WIll Smash 4 still be good on 3DS

IF I"m going to take this L, I want to know if there is anyway to bypass it.

The only thing that is funnier then the fact that it was used out of nowhere (in a way that doesn't make sense) is the fact he spelled it with the hard er. Like that friend who always blast rap music and says the lyrics loud as hell at home when his friends aren't around
his spell check is racist man

The hard er is the best part.
Lol obvious accident. Shouldn't be saying it with an A on here either

Same, some have already expressed some more skepticism, but I really think that it'll all work out in the end.

Both products will probably bomb tho. (I don't even know if a new FD is in the works)

I was about to say something, but decided against it.
Hahaha I was bout to report it but it's probably a mistake.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This old cat I know from work confirmed that he fucks his cousin and encouraged me to do the same. "When I go back home to NO and visit, she knows and I know what's going down". Lol yep

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This old cat I know from work confirmed that he fucks his cousin and encouraged me to do the same. "When I go back home to NO and visit, she knows and I know what's going down". Lol yep

i dont have a nope.gif, or webm strong enough for that

BlackJace

pics of cousin?

image.php

akira28

Southern secrets. We have a whole clan out there with the same last name that we didn't know about until someone died and they showed up at the funeral.

RedSwirl

And in a previous thread I said I'd possibly found the origin of my family's slave name. Still thinking on whether I should investigate that.

Trey

How do you even begin to sell someone on that? "hol'up hol'up hol'up! Before you say anything though, let me finish."

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
And in a previous thread I said I'd possibly found the origin of my family's slave name. Still thinking on whether I should investigate that.

Why wouldn't you if you have the resources?

Stuff like that is super interesting to me.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
How do you even begin to sell someone on that? "hol'up hol'up hol'up! Before you say anything though, let me finish."

lol idk man I just thought it was a creole thing at the time when he was speaking on it but then I did my research and did not like my results. "Why" was literally what I said to myself.

Like I said it's one of those convos you have where I'm like...."ok" and nod nervously without really agreeing and letting the awkwardness pass. Slowly walking away from the water cooler.

Top Bottom