• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Yeah, fam. Slam Dunk is a classic.

Never got into Kuroko no Basket though.

Kuroko no Basket is the Naruto of sports manga/anime to a level that's even higher than Eyeshield 21 IMO.

EVERYTHING is a special skill in KnB. The ability to pass the ball at the last possible second instead of dunking it? Right of Postponement. Getting into the zone? "The Zone". Reaching behind to steal the ball? Eagle Claw. I could go on and on....and it's exactly the reason why I like KnB.

Silky

Banned
The yuasa one? It started already?

And I was worried I'd have nothing to watch this season.

Yeah it started last week. Episode 2 was bananas.

I think the divisive point between Slam Dunk and Kuroko is that Slam Dunk is arguably treating the basketball aspect of it much more seriously than Kuroko does. Which isn't a bad thing. Kuroko isn't for me, sadly. I'm not feeling the cast.

Kuroko no Basket is the Naruto of sports manga/anime to a level that's even higher than Eyeshield 21 IMO.

EVERYTHING is a special skill in KnB. The ability to pass the ball at the last possible second instead of dunking it? Right of Postponement. Getting into the zone? "The Zone". Reaching behind to steal the ball? Eagle Claw. I could go on and on....and it's exactly the reason why I like KnB.

Hahaha, holy shit. I'll definitely check it out then.

Also, a bit off topic but I just peeped the NPD thread. PS4, brehs...

lmao, at the beginning I thought it was corny, but I came around to it really quickly.

Meteor Smash tho

andthebeatgoeson

Man bruhs, my crush on Janina Gavankar is reaching some crazy ass levels.

Janina-Gavankar-OK-Magazine-Pre-Oscar-Party-Allen-Berezovsky-Getty-2.jpg

janina-gavankar-in-maxim-july-2012-photos-002.jpg

Half Indian, Half Dutch? All Get It.

Edit: maybe that's her mom who's half and half. I couldn't tell from Wiki.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it started last week. Episode 2 was bananas.

I think the divisive point between Slam Dunk and Kuroko is that Slam Dunk is arguably treating the basketball aspect of it much more seriously than Kuroko does. Which isn't a bad thing. Kuroko isn't for me, sadly. I'm not feeling the cast.

It's that blurred line between sports manga(pre japanese champ ippo) and shounen manga based on sports(post japanese champ ippo)

Slam dunk and kuroko are clearly on opposite sides of that line.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Apparently, there's black and there's 'new black', which seems to be a state of mind.
Damn. I was just starting to like this cat, too...

http://hiphopwired.com/2014/04/16/pharrells-views-race-sends-twitter-uproar-photos/

There's an interesting point he gives. When he says he doesn't live trying to be black, I am quite amused. All these stereotypes for black people are so prevalent in media and what not that we're expected to be one way instead of just being who we want to be. What is living black? Why should we try to live "black" when we could live the way we want.

I personally can agree with it. We are not a hive mind and we shouldn't be expected to be. By being different from expectations, we're establishing ourselves as individuals.

If new black is taking our life into our own hands the way we want to, I can dig it. It's about time we didn't have to live or be a certain way because of reasons unless we want to.

(Or maybe I read this wrong? Idk...)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How you guys falling for this?

Pharrell's "new black" idea is the same shit rich black people have been spouting forever

Racism isn't a problem! I made it! Everyone else could too if they'd only stop blaming their problems on white people and do something about it like i did!

Bill cosby has him beat with this by a few decades.

Trey

I'm not with anything that tries to turn racism into a "it's all in your mind!" type of thing. He can have his opinion and I'll disagree with it.

Silky

Banned
...what? Is this an anime that somehow managed to draw black people in a somewhat accurate and non-offensive way?

Color me surprised.

Slam Dunk's been around for around ~20 years now lol. The anime isn't as old. Still the classic, tho

OJPRBoN.jpg

Akagi's ok

If new black is taking our life into our own hands the way we want to, I can dig it. It's about time we didn't have to live or be a certain way because of reasons unless we want to.

(Or maybe I read this wrong? Idk...)

Problem I have with this new thought is that one can only assume control over their lives to a point. There are far too many extenuating circumstances because of factors like skin color, or sex, or religion. I don't know what 'trying to live black' means because that's a passive activity.

Sure, you can choose not to hold on to baggage, but we're all dealt a hand of cards and blacks are often dealt a shitty hand. Period. Grass is always greener, sure, and how you choose to accept your reality determines how you respond to it - and it to you - but only to a point.

Oprah, Pharrel, Magic...a lot of these affluent cats who have achieved some level of success claim that it came from reaching some kind of inner peace instead of acknowledging that there is very much a game being played and that minorities are playing by a very different set of rules. Embrace them or not, it's up to you whether you give yourself high blood pressure. However, when these celebs don't acknowledge those rules anymore (blame yourself), that annoys me.

...what? Is this an anime that somehow managed to draw black people in a somewhat accurate and non-offensive way?

Color me surprised.

Oh, the brother in the picture is Takenori Akagi. His sister, Haruko, has no African features whatsover, so I don't know if Takenori is meant to be of African descent or Blasian or it's just the artist being creative. He's the upstanding leader with good academic skills.

The redheaded guy, Hanamichi Sakuragi, calls Takenori "Gori". Which is short for "Gorilla". Yup.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Pharrell seems naive and out of touch.

Kinda comes with being rich and famous for almost two decades.

Hard to maintain a perspective on what the world is really like when your reality is so exceptional.

Silky

Banned
Oh, the brother in the picture is Takenori Akagi. His sister, Haruko, has no African features whatsover, so I don't know if Takenori is meant to be of African descent or Blasian or it's just the artist being creative. He's the upstanding leader with good academic skills.

The redheaded guy, Hanamichi Sakuragi, calls Takenori "Gori". Which is short for "Gorilla". Yup.

Gorilla.jpg

I read something regarding some (very small) of the population in japan/natives being of african descent somewhere

Infinite

Kinda comes with being rich and famous for almost two decades.

Hard to maintain a perspective on what the world is really like when your reality is so exceptional.
The thing that really seems out of touch here is that not everyone he's talking to is even asking to be as rich and famous as he is. Niggas just want to eat and raise their families in decent neighborhoods without being systematically oppressed through things like prison.

royalan

Well, whatever he is...the artist draws a nice hightop fade.

Kreed

Apparently, there's black and there's 'new black', which seems to be a state of mind.
Damn. I was just starting to like this cat, too...

http://hiphopwired.com/2014/04/16/pharrells-views-race-sends-twitter-uproar-photos/

HIs comments come off better if you get the full context/understand why he was saying what he was saying in the Oprah interview vs an excerpt for a news article. Pharrell's statements are coming from this "controversy":

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1723134/pharrell-girl-cover-black-woman.jhtml

Pharrell dropped the cover for his new album G I R L about a week ago, featuring three attractive women standing next to him in bathrobes. It didn't take long for the Internet to pick apart the image, with gripes that black women weren't represented at all, and on Thursday (February 27) Pharrell admitted that he was truly disappointed with that criticism.

Skateboard P phoned into Power 105.1's "The Breakfast Club" on Monday to clarify that there is, in fact, a black woman on the album cover.

This "New Black" statement is a response to him/this woman on the cover not being "black enough" vs trying to say racism doesn't exist or what ever else twitter is spinning this into.

Boy back in the day you used to put people on 3way and mute the phone, nowadays people screenshot everything. One of my assoicates just got blasted on facebook, his sidechick just put up a months worth of texts on facebook and tagged his wife in them with the comment "get your man".

Infinite

HIs comments come off better if you get the full context/understand why he was saying what he was saying in the Oprah interview vs an excerpt for a news article. Pharrell's statements are coming from this "controversy":

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1723134/pharrell-girl-cover-black-woman.jhtml

This "New Black" statement is a response to him/this woman on the cover not being "black enough" vs trying to say racism doesn't exist or what ever else twitter is spinning this into.

A very assy thing to say in response to that. Makes it worse IMO

J10

Banned
Boy back in the day you used to put people on 3way and mute the phone, nowadays people screenshot everything. One of my assoicates just got blasted on facebook, his sidechick just put up a months worth of texts on facebook and tagged his wife in them with the comment "get your man".
That seems really inconsiderate. Then again, so is cheating on a spouse.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

I internally screamed noooooo! I can only image how dude is gonna try and spin this.

Kreed

A very assy thing to say in response to that. Makes it worse IMO

Possibly, but just make sure you got the full statement and not the excerpt:

The new black doesn’t blame other races for our issues. The new black dreams and realizes that it’s not a pigmentation, it’s a mentality. It’s either going to work for you or it’s going to work against you and you’ve got to pick which side you’re gonna be on. You choose to be on. The name of my album is not called race, it’s called G I R L. It’s for the female species. That’s number one. Number two, my mama is black. My mom is a huge part of my business. My wife is black. There are certain people who allow the delusion in the mirror, in their own mirrors, to become issues. You should not find confidence outside of your mirror. Why are you sharing your delusion? Whatever that space is between you and your mirror, what does that have to do with me? This is my work. I recognize that there are issues. We get judged on our skin. I just stated that there hadn’t been an African-American like…so we look at things like that. I don’t allow that to run my life. I don’t live my life trying to be black. What I do is, I nurture my curiosity and use it. I’m proud to be what I am. So my thing is, the new black is a mentality. You don’t do things because you’re black. You do things because you’re genuinely interested in something. Is there a lot of black in equality? Absolutely! But I’m the main one waving the flag. What do you mean? Don’t find your confidence in a cover. Find your confidence in the mirror.

That seems really inconsiderate. Then again, so is cheating on a spouse.

Funny thing is the chick already showed signs of being crazy, she would drive by his house and just park right in front of it, or have her friends confront his wife. IMO its all his fault cause if you going to keep playing the field dont get married, and he should have bailed the first sign she crazy

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man, miss me with that "new black" bullshit. The sentiment is there, but it feels like every other statement, made by every other rich black person, saying the exact same shit, because they made it. He can afford to be able to look past that "situation". A lot of folks can't, and that's the reality of the situation.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Problem I have with this new thought is that one can only assume control over their lives to a point. There are far too many extenuating circumstances because of factors like skin color, or sex, or religion. I don't know what 'trying to live black' means because that's a passive activity.

Sure, you can choose not to hold on to baggage, but we're all dealt a hand of cards and blacks are often dealt a shitty hand. Period. Grass is always greener, sure, and how you choose to accept your reality determines how you respond to it - and it to you - but only to a point.

Oprah, Pharrel, Magic...a lot of these affluent cats who have achieved some level of success claim that it came from reaching some kind of inner peace instead of acknowledging that there is very much a game being played and that minorities are playing by a very different set of rules. Embrace them or not, it's up to you whether you give yourself high blood pressure. However, when these celebs don't acknowledge those rules anymore (blame yourself), that annoys me.

I wasn't aware that he was using this as a method of shaming. I'm usually pretty good at picking up on stuff like that.

Guess today my sensors are off.

Infinite

...I'm just gonna say it: I have no idea what the fuck he was trying to communicate in the second part of that statement.
I'm going to echo this sentiment. So if I get this right pharrell in response to people saying "hey, why isn't there any black women on the cover of your album?" He says "lol get on my level I don't do things because I'm black".

Top Bottom