• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

royalan

Boy back in the day you used to put people on 3way and mute the phone, nowadays people screenshot everything. One of my assoicates just got blasted on facebook, his sidechick just put up a months worth of texts on facebook and tagged his wife in them with the comment "get your man".

Whew!

Umm....well...

All I've got for your fuckboy of a friend is this: http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/index.html

The Embassy Suites are running a weekend special on single rooms, and he might want to investigate that.

Because if his wife is anything like me, or any member of my family, after some embarrassing shit like that he ain't got a conversation waiting for him at the house.

He's got an ass-whoopin waiting for him at the house.

If he comes home tonight, and even tomorrow, don't be at ALL surprised to find a driveway full of cars, and siblings, cousins, grandparents, and church officials standing around waiting to get in that ass.

Damn...that's some sad shit.

KumaJG

Boy back in the day you used to put people on 3way and mute the phone, nowadays people screenshot everything. One of my assoicates just got blasted on facebook, his sidechick just put up a months worth of texts on facebook and tagged his wife in them with the comment "get your man".

yooooo she dirty for that

Kreed

I'm going to echo this sentiment. So if I get this right pharrell in response to people saying "hey, why isn't there any black women on the cover of your album?" He says "lol get on my level I don't do things because I'm black".

I don't see his statements as a rich black man talking down to other black people aka a Bill Cosby situation, vs a response from a black man who's being told/has been told he's not black enough his whole life. Remember this is someone who has been calling himself "Skateboard P" since the beginning of his career, not someone who "forgot where he came from" after making some new smash hits for mainstream radio. So in that context and discussing not being black enough in the Oprah interview, I don't see the offense in the statements/I can see what he's trying to say. Could he articulate himself better? Yes, but I'm not going to fault him for that.

A very assy thing to say in response to that. Makes it worse IMO

In my opinion dark skinned black women are disparaged and dismissed in the media towards their own features. Their hair isn't like white women so they are convinced to spend time and money in changing it, they are constant targets of skin lightening products and when they look at the media they are constantly sidelined or replaced by a lighter skinned person. And it even seems that this has permeated culture so much that given the choice, most people of all races would rather go for any other race than to go for a black girl.
So yes OK, some people were unfairly annoyed that you decided to go with lighter skinned people on your album cover. Yes, they were wrong when they said there was no black person on the cover. Yes, they were wrong to take issue with the race of the people on an album cover.
But to use that as a springboard to go into a rant about black people "blaming other races for our issues" or talking about their "mentality" is irresponsible at best.
"You don’t do things because you’re black. You do things because you’re genuinely interested in something."
Because you can afford to do other things. Because you've been given the opportunity to try different things and find the ones you like.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This "New Black" statement is a response to him/this woman on the cover not being "black enough" vs trying to say racism doesn't exist or what ever else twitter is spinning this into.

He doesn't understand the issue then.

"If they just bothered to listen to my album, they'd know that my album was an ode to women, period." he continued. "The one thing I was trying to help and aid in changing is this crazy statuesque standard of — you've gotta be white and thin for you to be beautiful."

and that's what people were criticizing about on his cover. The black girl on his cover still conforms to this white standard of beauty like everything else in the media. Light skin, straight hair, thin etc

He flips it and tries to make it out like the girl is being victimized and he's defending her, but that's not really what's happening. It's not about her not being black enough, it's about her being on his cover because she conforms to the problematic standard of beauty that he claims he's trying to challenge.

Pharrell basically saying he is separate from this particular race issue is off putting to me. Trying to live beyond racism sounds like a real bad excuse and it's only afforded to him because he's rich and famous. But in his defense there was a black woman on the cover apparently , she's just lightskin.

Pharrell said:
I'm a black man. I'm happy to be black, and anybody that is not happy to be black will point around and ask for that kind of sympathy. But the thing is, let's not ask nobody for no more sympathy. Let's get together ourselves and support ourselves.

trying to say that those who took issue with his cover 'aren't happy to be black' is kinda crazy. He really shouldn't be saying 'don't look to me to lift you up, it's time for 'new' black' and then say 'let's get together and support one another!'"

Maybe I shouldn't dismiss his opinion, but he isn't exactly sounding very intelligent despite making a couple good points.

royalan

He doesn't understand the issue then.

and that's what people were criticizing about on his cover. The black girl on his cover still conforms to this white standard of beauty like everything else in the media. Light skin, straight hair, thin etc

He flips it and tries to make it out like the girl is being victimized and he's defending her, but that's not really what's happening. It's not about her not being black enough, it's about her being on his cover because she conforms to the problematic standard of beauty that he claims he's trying to challenge.

I think Crissle from The Read podcast put it best when they talked about this issue: this isn't a hill worth dying on. The problematic elements with how dark-skinned black girls are portrayed in the media are understood in our community, and Pharell gets that. That being said, we shouldn't all turn into social media activists and crucify a guy every time he doesn't feature a dark-skinned woman on a cover.

Pharell is not a hater of dark-skinned women, at least, nothing about his career would suggest this. He's prominently featured them in his visual before. Let's not forget the leading lady in his very first solo video:

jsafpRS.jpg

The whole thing is overblown (and really, black twitter has been annoying the shit out of me lately with this crap), so I can see why Pharell is upset. That said, he could have handled that response a lot better (or, at least, more coherently).

Infinite

I don't see his statements as a rich black man talking down to other black people aka a Bill Cosby situation, vs a response from a black man who's being told/has been told he's not black enough his whole life. Remember this is someone who has been calling himself "Skateboard P" since the beginning of his career, not someone who "forgot where he came from" after making some new smash hits for mainstream radio. So in that context and discussing not being black enough in the Oprah interview, I don't see the offense in the statements/I can see what he's trying to say. Could he articulate himself better? Yes, but I'm not going to fault him for that.
You're right and what you're saying actually contradicts the statement he made. He also missed the point of the complaints. Now I would say this Pharrell's album cover isn't the mountain I want to die on in the fight for equal representation in the media like my girl crissles said but I can see where the complaints are coming from. I do think Pharrell's album cover was in the wrong place at the wrong time but you have to see why his critics feel the way they do. Not only are darker skin black women pushed aside in mainstream "white" media but now we got rappers like Akon throwing auditions for video models and sending all the dark skin women home, blatantly. So now hip hop culture isn't a place where the beauty of the dark skin sister can be showcased? It's frustrating for them and Pharrell's album cover just got caught in the cross fire. He could've made a good statement in response to it and I feel like one is buried in there somewhere. But this new black shit just sounds like some old colorblind bullshit. My black ass got called an Oreo too while I was growing up but imma still do me and I also recognized we all not playing with the same cards here.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'll never understand the people who defend celebrities on the internet. "Man leave them alone guys they're just human"

I think Crissle from The Read podcast put it best when they talked about this issue: this isn't a hill worth dying on. The problematic elements with how dark-skinned black girls are portrayed in the media are understood in our community,

Bull. Shit.

and Pharell gets that.

He obviously doesn't. Otherwise he wouldn't have put a cover that conforms to white beauty standards on an album that's supposedly intended to challenge them.

and he wouldn't be responding in this way if he truly understood the criticism as well.

I think Crissle from The Read podcast put it best when they talked about this issue: this isn't a hill worth dying on. The problematic elements with how dark-skinned black girls are portrayed in the media are understood in our community, and Pharell gets that. That being said, we shouldn't all turn into social media activists and crucify a guy every time he doesn't feature a dark-skinned woman on a cover

Not even close mang :(

royalan

I'll never understand the people who defend celebrities on the internet. "Man leave them alone guys they're just human"

Bull. Shit.

Notice I didn't say they were dealt with. But if you were to go up to random black people on the street and ask them "do you think dark-skinned women are equally and fairly portrayed in the media?" I'm willing to bet that most of them wouldn't say yes. People are aware there's a problem; doesn't mean we've arrived at a solution, but that wasn't my point.

He obviously doesn't. Otherwise he wouldn't have put a cover that conforms to white beauty standards on an album that's supposedly intended to challenge them.

and he wouldn't be responding in this way if he truly understood the criticism as well.

Frankly, I just don't think it's a fair criticism to make when you look at the whole of Pharell's career. Not fair at all.

Also, he was making a statement on gender with his album, not race.

Kreed

You're right and what you're saying actually contradicts the statement he made. He also missed the point of the complaints. Now I would say this Pharrell's album cover isn't the mountain I want to die on in the fight for equal representation in the media like my girl crissles said but I can see where the complaints are coming from. I do think Pharrell's album cover was in the wrong place at the wrong time but you have to see why his critics feel the way they do. Not only are darker skin black women pushed aside in mainstream "white" media but now we got rappers like Akon throwing auditions for video models and sending all the dark skin women home, blatantly. So now hip hop culture isn't a place where the beauty of the dark skin sister can be showcased? It's frustrating for them and Pharrell's album cover just got caught in the cross fire. He could've made a good statement in response to it and I feel like one is buried in there somewhere. But this new black shit just sounds like some old colorblind bullshit. My black ass got called an Oreo too while I was growing up but imma still do me and I also recognized we all not playing with the same cards here.

Just to be clear, I understand why people went at him for the GIRL cover. Hell when I first saw it that was one of my first thoughts (that there were no black women on the cover). I just "get" where he's coming from too/I don't think he said the wrong thing.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I'm not defending Pharrell but more so my not being offended by what he's saying/just want you guys to know where my opinion is coming from.

Also, he was making a statement on gender with his album, not race.

I think that kind of goes back to Retro's point. It was a statement on gender and everyone one of them fit into the white standard of beauty to a T. Like you said though, Pharrell doesn't have a history of doing something like this but that doesn't really give him a pass on all future endeavors.

Even if no one really agrees with what should have happened, it's good that it was even brought up and is being discussed.

royalan

I think that kind of goes back to Retro's point. It was a statement on gender and everyone one of them fit into the white standard of beauty to a T. Like you said though, Pharrell doesn't have a history of doing something like this but that doesn't really give him a pass on all future endeavors.

Even if no one really agrees with what should have happened, it's good that it was even brought up and is being discussed.

Another thing to keep in mind with this cover is that all of the women in it are friends of Pharrell. He literally called them up, did the shoot, and made it the cover.

He didn't host a model casting call and intentionally select against dark-skinned features.

Infinite

A nice point I took from this discussion is that someone else in this thread listens to The Read.

I am watchign Marvel Disk Wars (Fuck Gundam Build Fighter) and the Black dude got the captain america Pokemon. But yet the dude witht eh ironman one is the leader, that is fucked up.

When you say poc in anime and manga you should clarify that you mean black people or at least non East Asian poc.

Pucci.png

Enrico Pucci

Jojo spoilers:

Dominican and main villain of Part 6

I like how he embraces all that's right & wrong with religious insanity. I remember when I was reading part 6 & then I was like woah we got color in Jojo?! Oh and he's a good POC. If you do that for real in the anime/manga thread let me know

Nakazato

Mom Just blew out my my front tires avoiding a (allegedly) kid in the road. Just glad both are ok. Now I have to find a way to paid for the tires. Which sucks but it is what it is. Im just wondering how fast my mom had to be going to almost hit a child

I want to do a POC in anime/manga thread.

3/4 of the thread will go something like this.

• "X character is <insert ethnic group not asian or white here>?! lolwut?"
  • "X person can't be <insert ethnic group not asian or white here> because their hair is <insert unnatural hair color> and <insert ethnic group not asian or white here> don't have that color hair IRL" (This has been used in a actual argument on GAF...I wish I was making that up).
  • "Sorry OP, but lol that person is not <insert ethnic group not asian or white here>; that's not how <insert ethnic group not asian or white here> look."
  • "Not trying to sound racist, but why do <insert ethnic group not asian or white here> people always try to claim characters as <insert color here>? Like I only see <insert ethnic group not asian or white here> do this. Again, not trying to sound racist."

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing to keep in mind with this cover is that all of the women in it are friends of Pharrell. He literally called them up, did the shoot, and made it the cover.

He didn't host a model casting call and intentionally select against dark-skinned features.

No one is suggesting that Pharrell hates women/black people

People are just calling him out on his cover contradicting his message.

You can preach on all 12 tracks about the shitty standard of beauty in the music and movie industry, but when your album cover is trading on those same standards, it makes it hard for people to take your content seriously.

The fact that Pharell can't see that is what leads me to believe he doesn't really have a deep understanding of the entertainment criticism he decided to make the theme of his album.

andthebeatgoeson

Might have to get off of Facebook if you tagging someone else.
Mom Just blew out my my front tires avoiding a (allegedly) kid in the road. Just glad both are ok. Now I have to find a way to paid for the tires. Which sucks but it is what it is. Im just wondering how fast my mom had to be going to almost hit a child
Check those wheels to make sure they aren't bent. I just went thru that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Mudd butt incoming.

This is what I don't get about vegan and vegetarian. Why they always trying to make their food look and taste like meat?

Always figured it was for social gatherings since they're always things like Hamburgers and Hot Dogs

Easier to bring those to a barbecue and just have them put those on the grill for you than having people make special accommodations. Preferable to not eating or eating something radically different from what everyone else is and feeling like an outsider

but that's just my guess

Getting mad over album art though?

'Regular Women' In Lingerie Remind Us What Imperfect, Un-Photoshopped Bodies Look Like

Should we get mad at hollywood for not promoting more "curvy" females in their films? Where does it stop? As a reminder, these are the same people who criticized Gabby Douglas for not having better looking hair during the Olympics. You can't win.

This really goes back to that POC article that was posted earlier. If a black person by skin pigmentation doesn't act or look stereotypically black, we jump on them. If Lupita Nyong'o was taking that other black woman's spot, no one would bat an eye. And there lies the problem, unless person A passes our (black American society) test, they don't qualify.

Top Bottom