• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It's too much for some people to consider that maybe they just make poor decisions in who they interact with or that maybe there's something in them that leads them to poor relationships. Much easier to blame others and date based on stereotypes.

Yep. Everybody has dated a shitty person at some point. But using a few bad experiences to justify dating prejudices is some ignorant shit.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's hype here in ATL...we know we're not getting far, but so far, it's fun!

Also, my gift to slayven:

tumblr_n4epl0Zq9h1qlu8tno1_500.png

Village

You ee shit blowing up and buildings falling why are you standing there with your mouth open?

#MOS

Because you gotta save the dog, also maybe you should let the kids on the bus drown because reasons.

Also lotta romance threads in OT recently, is this because of 420 and Easter being a thing at the same time. Did you kids have the weed chocolate Easter eggs, fox told me it would make you into criminals.

BHZ Mayor

You ee shit blowing up and buildings falling why are you standing there with your mouth open?

#MOS

Because you gotta save the dog, also maybe you should let the kids on the bus drown because reasons.

I'm guessing #MOS is for Man of Steel, so this talk of Superman being dumb reminds me of this one time on Lois and Clark, when he could have easily saved this one guy from a car that was about explode (or something like that, I just remember that it was some kind of danger he could saved the guy from if he had used his super speed) and he just stood there like a slack-jacked idiot because he didn't want to expose his secret identity.

royalan

so i guess the Pharrell hubbub is gonna stay in the news for a few more days w/ this new single cover.

Bl3PDzCCMAIgXwz.jpg

1) It shouldn't have to be said, but she really is stunning. If you asked me to imagine a black Marilyn Monroe, this is exactly what I would picture.

2) This was a brilliant move on Pharell's part. You KNOW twitter activists are gonna be mad, but they can't BE mad without looking completely silly. Oh? So NOW you put a black chick on your cover?

1) It shouldn't have to be said, but she really is stunning. If you asked me to imagine a black Marilyn Monroe, this is exactly what I would picture.

2) This was a brilliant move on Pharell's part. You KNOW twitter activists are gonna be mad, but they can't BE mad without looking completely silly. Oh? So NOW you put a black chick on your cover?

"so we not good enough for the album? just the single? side chick status?"

Infinite

Eh I think he looks silly doing this mainly because of what he said in the Oprah interview. This doesn't seem genuine and it's pretty calculated for the reasons you pointed out. This comes off as patronizing but whatever.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Eh I think he looks silly doing this mainly because of what he said in the Oprah interview. This doesn't seem genuine and it's pretty calculated for the reasons you pointed out. This comes off as patronizing but whatever.

Yep.

royalan

Genuine or not what does it matter?

People were mad when he didn't put a [dark-skinned] black girl on his cover despite the fact that he's included dark-skinned black girls in his visual throughout his career. And now people will be mad that he did.

I think Pharell's point here is to point out how silly the whole thing was. You back yourself into corners like this when you allow yourself to get angry for anger's sake.

Infinite

People were mad when he didn't put a [dark-skinned] black girl on his cover despite the fact that he's included dark-skinned black girls in his visual throughout his career. And now people will be mad that he did.

I think Pharell's point here is to point out how silly the whole thing was. You back yourself into corners like this when you allow yourself to get angry for anger's sake.

I wouldn't confuse anger with criticism.

Putting a black girl on his single cover doesn't negate the dumb shit he said in the Oprah interview. Instead of actually engaging the criticism he's patronizing the people making it. It's a calculated move for sure but like I said whatever.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

you're giving him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit

he cried on Oprah talking about some "new black" shit over this

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Yooo is that lint roller ? Lol
I know too much black people (myself included) that sometimes carry lint rollers with them outside.
Yeah in a suit or something but not in the middle of a game though.

"Moms gonna kill me if I get these school clothes dirty again."

Top Bottom