• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Infinite

What do you guys use to clear up your skin? Like... cocoa butter is nice, but scar removal stuff I see in stores doesn't seem to work for us as well. Any suggestions?
Lemon juice is good for that. Natural lemon juice that is. Just apply to the scars daily for 15 mins

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I've never really had any special routine for post shave face maintenance except swearing by this

51gshRyN9bL._SY300_.jpg

I normally wash my face twice a day with this

That's it really. I use an electric razor too. I'm lucky to not suffer from razor bumps.

I'm pretty solid on handling my razor bumps now. The last outbreak I had was due to my clippers not being sharp enough. I'm talking about the rest of my body. I have a ton of scars, burns, discolorations from all sorts of stuff and even though I've cleared lot of them up over the years, I can't help but think I'm just throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks.

Sometimes that's the best way. I know women who are/were pregnant use cocoa butter for stretch marks and other things. You got me stomped. One of the darts will stick so keep at it.

Man I'm from south carolina. brothers start sweating at 9:30am. I take 2 showers a day. If I cut grass or do other yard work I'll take 3 a day.

I know it man, Ga and SC share the same slave heat. Walk outside and fell like you are wrapped in all your clothes in the closet.

That sweat is ridiculous. I've lived in Ga, SC, NC and La. By far the worst I've dealt with was Louisiana. That shit is like a film growing on you. You can cut the humidity its so damn thick. Showering is a must.

The best I've been in was Saudi. Dry heat with no humidity whatsoever. But sand, dirt and other ill shit was a no go. The worst mistake I made was while we were deployed it had been weeks since any of us showered. Well I decided during a hail storm to stand on a box outside my vehicle and get cleaned. Long story short, never be the one clean motherfucker surrounded by dirty sons of bitches. It was a combination of every bad smell imaginable. I suffered for a couple weeks smelling that.

I'm a diabetic, I use cetaphil moisturizing cream.

Oh and DY for scars I use this:
41OaiCbL9-L._SY300_.jpg

My Gma gave me this stuff when I got barb wire wrapped around my arm...a bit of the scar is still there but it has worked for me for the most part on other skin tone issues.

royalan

What do you guys use to clear up your skin? Like... cocoa butter is nice, but scar removal stuff I see in stores doesn't seem to work for us as well. Any suggestions?

Don't use cocoa butter on your face.

Cocoa butter is a classic and effective skin moisturizer, but a lot of people don't know that it's also comedogenic--it clogs pores and aggravates acne.

Cocoa butter is a great moisturizer to use anywhere BUT the face or anywhere your skin is sensitive and prone to breaking out...although strangely, cocoa butter is also GREAT for treating rashes. Funny how that works.

If you want a good face moisturizer, use shea butter. Shea has all of cocoa butter's moisturizing capabilities, but it's also non-comedogenic.

I have crazy dry skin and that is what i use.

My doctor recommended it after I told him Eucerin lotion wasn't working for me. Dat Cetaphil goes on like liquid silk bro. Feels good and last all day without making me look like I took a dip in a pool full of baby oil.

Gorillaz

I stick with mainly cocoa butter. It does like Royalan say, clog pours, only reason I knew that was because my mom works with skincare so some of that stuff is drilled into me. Alot of people probably don't know it does that tho

So far tho I havn't had any real break outs over cocoa, but hey my skin is #babysmooth so.....yea

cdyhybrid

I would take 3 or 4 on the weekend when I still lived in Hawaii. One after waking up, one after the beach, one before going out, one when I got home.

royalan

I stick with mainly cocoa butter. It does like Royalan say, clog pours, only reason I knew that was because my mom works with skincare so some of that stuff is drilled into me. Alot of people probably don't know it does that tho

So far tho I havn't had any real break outs over cocoa, but hey my skin is #babysmooth so.....yea

Yeah, I carry a stick of cocoa butter with me EVERYWHERE I go.

I didn't even realize that cocoa butter clogged pores until a few months ago when I got curious and looked up the difference between cocoa and shea butter (since they're so interchangeable most of the time).

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I'm pretty solid on handling my razor bumps now. The last outbreak I had was due to my clippers not being sharp enough. I'm talking about the rest of my body. I have a ton of scars, burns, discolorations from all sorts of stuff and even though I've cleared lot of them up over the years, I can't help but think I'm just throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks.

do you use cocoa butter on your scars?

But the funk defense force told me that my natural oils would keep me clean and that soap is a lie.
Back in highschool one of my teachers lost it with one of those nasty bastards, aired him the fuck out and took his desk and placed it outside next to the door. Dude couldn't come back in until his hygeine improved 0_o

KumaJG

I use cocoa butter / baby oil for the body. Some foot lotion for my feet. Current using using cocoa butter for the face, but I going to try that Cetaphil.

Listening to a podcast and they said he goes to online school and his mom was going to be evicted but just brought a 5 bedroom house,

Smh, arent those online elementary schools for kids who actually cant make it to the school cause of health problems? And terrio is a big ass 6yo,I honestly thought he was at least 10-12

So I just got back from that exam for the job I mentioned earlier this week.

Driving towards the testing place and I see about 4 dudes awkwardly standing around and I'm like....
5jvd6yz.png
alright that's not too bad... but then I get out of the car and turn the corner and there's like 40 people lined up
qm0Jrt5.png

Brehs.....brehs...the average age was like 50 and half of the people were dressed far too casual. Some lady was in some worn out T-shirt and jeans
kA62T.png
. Some young asian dude in a hoodie and shit
KRrHQ.png
. Dressing like they were late for first period.

There was literally only one person in a suit and it look liked he pieced it together at a MoTown garage sale.
AM71U.png
I wasn't too dressed up myself. Dress shoes, slacks, dress shirt under a sweater business casual level since it wasn't an actual interview or anything. But luckily for everyone who was under-dressed I don't think they were taking notes on who was and who wasn't dressed for it.

So we all file in and they give us our testing sheets/pencils etc.
In the e-mail they sent out it said not to bring anything EXCEPT A CALCULATOR, NO PHONES ALLOWED. So to me delight about one fourth of the olds there had no calculator at all.
foQU4.png

So I open the booklet and it's sectioned into 6 parts, 60 questions total. The first 10 are accounting questions that I knew at some point but have since forgotten and all the olds are plowing through them
8j4rH.png
. Their booklet pages are being flipped like mad and I'm like
fFo9b.png

Through the course the exam it gets more manageable and the noticeable lead the olds had on me seemed to dwindle and I was really curious as to why. Then I flip to the last section and the last 10 questions are algebra questions
iIC87.png

In my head I was like "Them olds are fucked!" it must have been a couple decades since they took an algebra course
C2xkH.png

If I scored high enough they said they'd contact me with an interview date, should take about 2 weeks. So we'll see.

This is how stories should be written. Good show. How bad was the accounting questions? Word problems or simple equations (relatively speaking of course)?

Mumei

Every story should have those faces.

On Karyn Washington's passing:

Depression and the Black Superwoman Syndrome

After reading the news of For Brown Girls creator Karyn Washngton’s passing, I immediately went to tapping away on the keys of my laptop. The late 22-year-old’s story of dedicating much of her daily life to empowering Black women, and even the possibility that she ended her own life, felt eerily familiar and close to home.

The peculiar thing about doing the work to uplift others is, the world often forgets that the worker also needs uplifting, that the work becomes heavy, that frequently the work is being performed to soothe one’s own soul. And that when one lives even a small portion of her life publicly, that public too often expects perfection. The expectation is that s/he has conquered those challenges s/he advocates against, and that s/he is therefore the face of overcoming.

The reality is, however, that there’s sometimes no such thing as overcoming—not wholly, not forever. Overcoming is daily work, and we often fail miserably at it. Many days we are doing our best to survive, and some of those days we may not be 100% sure that surviving is what we truly even desire.

And we are dying…

Masking up as superwomen is killing us—whether we meet that death as a result of suicide or the stresses that lead to heart disease and other serious, life-threatening illnesses. According to Lottie Joiner’s recent post at The Root, stress accelerates the aging of Black female bodies, and Black women between the ages of 45 and 55 are “biologically 7.5 years older than White women” of the same age.

I don’t know Karyn’s personal story enough to comment on why she possibly chose to commit suicide. But I know for certain my own story. I’ve battled depression and anxiety much of my adult life, with some bouts making me feel like I was stuck in a cave-sized hole that I was unable to climb out of.

More at the link.

This is how stories should be written. Good show. How bad was the accounting questions? Word problems or simple equations (relatively speaking of course)?

There were all types of questions. The first 10 referenced a general ledger and 5 different entries, really easy stuff. My problem is since I worked in Factor Lending for a while the credit/debit functions are completely the opposite of conventional business so I have to think harder on questions than I should.

They had messy spreadsheets showing a list of transactions unsorted. The dates were out of order, the reference #s and code #s used the similar patterns (IE Ref# ranged from 101-105 and so did the code#s), so they had questions like 'total of all transactions on Dec 25th with code 102' and you'd have to skim this list of transactions and then use the correct column to know which ones to add together) simple but tedious especially at the end when they went crazy with it like Subtract transactions from Dec 20th with Code 103 and Dec 23rd with Ref 103 from transactions with Code 103 and ref 105.

A few word problems like we need 64 gallons of solution X Vendor #1 sells it for $68 per 8 gallons Vendor 2 Sells it for $80 per 8 gallons but offer a 15% discount, what's the difference between the total cost of both options after .0925% tax. So not having a calculator definitely set some people back.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

More at the link.

Thank you for posting this.

It's tragic how we have to present ourselves as strong and fierce to make ourselves seem immune to even our own inner turmoil. Showing emotion doesn't hurt, it heals in its own way. Without acknowledging our pain and finding a way to cope with these dilemmas, there's no light to be found...

RIP. :(

RedSwirl

I guess I should start washing my face daily with something to avoid razor bumps. I use electric (sprayed with clippercide) and AFTA twice a week but they can still get pretty bad.

Gorillaz

More at the link.

It would be hilarous to see you post something using those smileys. You really should lol.

the stuff in that link has been a problem tho within alot of communities but largely the black one. This feeling of always having to put up the superman/women and acting like there is nothing at fault has messed up alot of people. Going forward I hope people spend more time making sure everything is ok with them not just physically but mentally. Alot of mental sicknesses are just pushed off in a "well god will deal with it" but in fact you/we should still look into it.

You really gotta wonder how many sicknesses we seen from family or friends and was just waved off as whatever and "toughen it" out.

A few word problems like we need 64 gallons of solution X Vendor #1 sells it for $68 per 8 gallons Vendor 2 Sells it for $80 per 8 gallons but offer a 15% discount, what's the difference between the total cost of both options after .0925% tax. So not having a calculator definitely set some people back.

Interesting, I only ask because the class I just finished this semester went deep into financial accounting. I came out of it with an appreciation for those who go into it. Even though I don't want to be an accountant, more than half the time, working in a non-profit organization will offer nothing but numbers and wanting you to make the most of it all. I'm curious on how bad I'd do with what I know now.

Mumei

Thank you for posting this.

It's tragic how we have to present ourselves as strong and fierce to make ourselves seem immune to even our own inner turmoil. Showing emotion doesn't hurt, it heals in its own way. Without acknowledging our pain and finding a way to cope with these dilemmas, there's no light to be found...

RIP. :(

Mm. As someone who struggled with depression for years and is as prone as anyone with that history to relapses, I find it very relatable.

It would be hilarous to see you post something using those smileys. You really should lol.

KRrHQ.png

the stuff in that link has been a problem tho within alot of communities but largely the black one. This feeling of always having to put up the superman/women and acting like there is nothing at fault has messed up alot of people. Going forward I hope people spend more time making sure everything is ok with them not just physically but mentally. A lot of mental sicknesses are just pushed off in a "well god will deal with it" but in fact you/we should still look into it.

You really gotta wonder how many sicknesses we seen from family or friends and was just waved off as whatever and "toughen it" out.

Mm. What she mentioned about black women and aging reminded me of this post on Colorlines, actually, that points out research correlating it to internalized racism and personal experiences of anti-black racial discrimination. I actually meant to post it ages ago (maybe I did, and forgot...), so I'm going to quote the main bullet points:

Racism is a powerful enough force that it can wear down a man’s body. Those are the findings, at once common-sense and groundbreaking, in a study led by University of Maryland epidemiologist David Chae which examines the relationship between white blood cell telomere lengths and experiences with racism.

The study, “Discrimination, Racial Bias, and Telomere Length in African-American Men,” to be published in the February 2014 issue of the American Journal of Preventative Medicine, is the first of its kind to explicitly measure the role that racism-related factors play in the aging process.

It’s in the Blood

Chae and his team gathered 95 black men between the ages of 30 and 50 in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2010, and measured black men’s white blood cell telomere lengths. Telomeres are repetitive sequences of DNA that sit like the plastic protective caps at the ends of shoelaces. When white blood cells replicate, DNA sequences at the very ends get chewed away, and telomeres are there to be, as Chae explains, “the sacrificial lambs” to protect the more crucial DNA from being damaged. (Telomeres are the glowing white dots at the end of chromosomes, pictured below.)

Among black men who had internalized strong anti-black biases, those who experienced high levels of racial discrimination had on average 140 fewer base pairs of telomeres than those who reported low levels of racial discrimination. The combination of high levels of external racial discrimination and internalized anti-black attitudes was a toxic mix.

Researchers found, on the other hand, that there was a slight positive relationship between experiences of discrimination and telomere length in black men who had strong pro-black biases. That is, a positive racial identity could act as a kind of psychological buffer against the ravages of racism.

In the U.S., national studies have found that 70 percent of respondents have an implicit anti-black bias—and roughly half of African-Americans do. It’s seen as a rough proxy for determining unconscious bias, and depending on the subject, internalized racism.

But it’s not helpful to think of internalized racism as simply an individualized symptom of structural racism, says Brian Smedley, director of the Health Policy Institute at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. It’s deeply embedded in the larger apparatus of racial inequity, and is its own layer of oppression. Think, for instance, of the classic, heartbreaking doll study originally conducted by Kenneth and Mamie Clark in 1939. Researchers put a white doll and black doll in front of black children and asked them to identify the dolls’ race, and point to which was the nice one, and which was the mean one. Children as young as three years old identified the white doll as good, and the black doll as bad.

“What our and others’ research shows is that racism is not some abstract artificial concept, but is part of the lived and social experience of African Americans in today’s society—and that it has real effects on the body,” says Amani Nuru-Jeter, a professor at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health and co-author of the study. Researchers say their findings can help explain some of the well-known racial health disparities in the U.S.

What scientists have found is that racism influences people’s physical health in all these indirect ways—affecting access to health care, decent work, housing, healthy food and safe places to exercise. And it can have more direct consequences, typically by creating more stress in people’s lives.Think about what happens to your heart rate and blood pressure when someone treats you harshly or unfairly, cutting you off on the freeway or pushing you out of the way to get onto the subway. We have physiological reactions to stress. Now, imagine it’s racism we’re talking about—something that people can experience “on a routine, chronic, everyday basis,” Chae says. “

When it comes to the public health interventions, Chae says the clear implication is that society needs to address systemic discrimination. “There needs to be greater enforcement of anti-discrimination legislation,” in areas like housing and employment he says. Furthermore, policies like stop-and-frisk, even those which are facially neutral, “can negatively impact health.”

It might be tempting to prescribe black people who have anti-black biases some kind of racial identity bolstering treatment, but says Chae, telling people to address their internalized oppression “is not my first line of treatment because it puts the burden on those who are victimized.” Racism may manifest itself on the individual level, but that doesn’t make it the right place to focus.

wingedkraby

Neo Member
After ages my account is finally activated, been lurking this thread on and off for a while, so figure my first post should be here.

Where you're from-Winston Salem, North Carolina
Where you live- See above

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-Mostly black, like 1/8th white from a great gran.

Do you know your roots-sadly, no

Your Age-17

Favorite musical genre-Anything not outright terrible, but mostly rock.

Your profession/major/career interest- I make some damn good pizzas, but starting in fall as a student studying computer science in Charlotte.

Your religious affiliation-Christian

Hobbies-Games, MTG, Reading,Fencing,Knitting.

That's about all there is to me!
Oh yeah, and before anyone asks, Churches

After ages my account is finally activated, been lurking this thread on and off for a while, so figure my first post should be here.

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-Mostly black, like 1/8th white from a great gran.

Your Age-17

Your profession/major/career interest- I make some damn good pizzas, but starting in fall as a student studying computer science in Charlotte.

Fencing, you say? Welcome!

(Weapon?)

the stuff in that link has been a problem tho within alot of communities but largely the black one. This feeling of always having to put up the superman/women and acting like there is nothing at fault has messed up alot of people. Going forward I hope people spend more time making sure everything is ok with them not just physically but mentally. Alot of mental sicknesses are just pushed off in a "well god will deal with it" but in fact you/we should still look into it.

The empathy gap and the general public's perceptions of mental disorders(see. people who dismiss clinical depression as just being sad) are probably big factors.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Your Age-17

and bit by bit our numbers grow. welcome

royalan

I had Church's for the first time in years the other day.

Overall, I still prefer Popeye's but Church's definitely smokes KFC (really, nobody should be eating that stuff).

Church's spicy recipe IS hotter than Popeye's tho, which I appreciate. And they make a good biscuit.

Top Bottom