• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Kreed

If i may ask, can I get a bit of context of the TMZ thing and the lebron thing.

double jump posted this earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT6d5fMhzI

It's a taped recording between Donald Sterling (white NBA owner of the LA Clippers) and his girlfriend (who is black/mexican). In the recording Donald tells his girlfriend not to post pictures of her self and black people on instagram or hang with black people at basketball games and be a more "delicate white or latina girl", among other things.

jWILL253

Banned
If i may ask, can I get a bit of context of the TMZ thing and the lebron thing.

It isn't that hard to get, but I'll help you:

1. TMZ has an audio recording of Donald Sterling chastising his side bitch for taking pictures on her then public Instagram account with Black people, namely Magic Johnson. Says she can hang out with/fuck anybody of any race if she wants... just not publicly. He also basically admits to being a cuckold.

2. LeBron James speaks out when he is interviewed about the story. Since he's currently the face of the NBA, his word carries much more weight than anyone in the league...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
its reaaaaaaaaaally easy for him to say stuff though because his checks aren't being cut by the guy. the majority of his money isn't coming from the league either.

harSon

Banned
Is Sterling related to:

Marge_Schott.jpg

?

Village

double jump posted this earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT6d5fMhzI

It's a taped recording between Donald Sterling (white NBA owner of the LA Clippers) and his girlfriend (who is black/mexican). In the recording Donald tells his girlfriend not to post pictures of her self and black people on instagram or hang with black people at basketball games and be a more "delicate white or latina girl", among other things.

Aiight I'm caught up

Can " minorities are fabulous " be the new " i have a black friend"

Gorillaz

its reaaaaaaaaaally easy for him to say stuff though because his checks aren't being cut by the guy. the majority of his money isn't coming from the league either.
That's another thing too. I wonder if Lebron would speak up if dude was writing his checks.

KumaJG

EvXNhp8.jpg

Easy to say since he doesn't have to take a stand but still, I gotta respect that he is even willing to speak on it when he doesn't have to. Even Mark Cuban is being hush hush on the subject.

I surprise Mark Cuban is silent, hes one of the most outspoken owners in recent years. Kobe just tweeted something about the situation, saying he couldnt play for him.

Trey

There's a pretty huge difference between an owner being an racist fuck and a fan.

Not if the basis of me as a player is to not "reward" a racist by achieving personal success and winning the championship. Whatever benefits Sterling gets from the Clippers winning it all is blemished anyways at this point.

Yep.

His words still carry weight though, no matter how easy it is for him to join the chorus.

Not if the basis of me as a player is to not "reward" a racist by achieving personal success and winning the championship. Whatever benefits Sterling gets from the Clippers winning it all is blemished anyways at this point.

Well in one instance a racist wants you to succeed for their own personal wealth and happiness

whereas one wants you to succeed solely for happiness and is completely unknown to you.

DY_nasty

Compared to MJ and Kobe , I'm glad Bron said something. Will mj say anything now that nobody can touch him? Nope.

people acting like this is a surprise

sterling had the largest housing discrimination suit in US history thrown against him less than a decade ago. he's been a known racist and scumbag since he got in the league.

And no owner is gonna come at him fast because they damn sure don't want their own dirty laundry aired as well.

Trey

Well in one instance a racist wants you to succeed for their own personal wealth and happiness

whereas one wants you to succeed solely for happiness and is completely unknown to you.

That is not any different to a player whose ultimate goals in basketball are intrinsically linked to racists'. I don't think refusing to play or win the playoffs is a feasible option to combat Sterling's unsavory nature. Distance the team from the owner and be about your business as professionals.

That is not any different to a player whose ultimate goals in basketball are intrinsically linked to racists'. I don't think refusing to play or win the playoffs is a feasible option to combat Sterling's unsavory nature. Distance the team from the owner and be about your business as professionals.

If by feasible you mean you wouldn't hold it against the player for not doing it then yea,I understand too. But I don't think it would be outrageous for someone to make a stand like that.

Sitting out a game because of an unknown amount of racist fans would be bewildering since they're so small in the grand scheme.

Onemic

I doubt anything will happen to Sterling.

1. He's a sole owner of a team. What can you really do against an owner other than do a bs fine?

2. He's been a known racist for years, and yet people still played for him, worked under him, interacted with him like it was all cool, as long as it wasnt made public.(even though it pretty much was with the Baylor situation) But now that it is everyone's mad?

I doubt anything will happen to Sterling.

1. He's a sole owner of a team. What can you really do against an owner other than do a bs fine?

2. He's been a known racist for years, and yet people still played for him, worked under him, interacted with him like it was all cool, as long as it wasnt made public.(even though it pretty much was with the Baylor situation) But now that it is everyone's mad?
Force him to sell it to Jerry Jones then do a trade with Cuban for the mavericks

Furyous

glad i'm not in that kind of situation where your professionalism is weighed directly against your self respect.

Been there before and decided to take the ostracism over the ancestral disgrace. I'd much rather people say I was unprofessional than co-sign fuckery and deal with having to stand before peers at some point and deal with the situation.

Bron doesn't need to play basketball for a living. He could quit tomorrow and spend his 2003 paper for the rest of his life on some Willy Wonka shit.

Working for racist owners isn't fun.

Silky

Banned
brehs, i need help

With the Steam Tags being added to the system a while back, I'd figure it'd be a good idea to do something specific with the games available on the store right now. I notice that there are (thankfully!) quite a few games in my list now that have the tags 'female protagonist' listed in them. My idea was to simply find the titles available on steam that feature a 'black protagonist.' So, if anyone has steam on PC, could anyone help me point out a few games on the marketplace that stars a black protagonist?

I'd make a thread but I'd figure GamingGAF would be too immature regarding the idea/thread would probably be banned by off topic debate on what constitues as a 'black' protagonist'

I have Prototype 2, TWD, San Andreas, and Marlowe Briggs so far.

people acting like this is a surprise

sterling had the largest housing discrimination suit in US history thrown against him less than a decade ago. he's been a known racist and scumbag since he got in the league.

And no owner is gonna come at him fast because they damn sure don't want their own dirty laundry aired as well.

Remember the CP3/black coach thread last year? Haha.. good times.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Fam, I'm hurting right now. My pregnant girlfriend just broke up with me. When I said I will try to come to be there with her for the birth, she said, "If you want to come for the birth, it's up to you." It hurts so bad. I spent 3 year with this girl, spent $1000s on this girl, and for it to end like this is painful. She has said that she is not giving the child my last name so "she wouldn't have to field questions about why her and the child have different last names." I'm going to be a man and be in my child's life, but without the woman who helped me make it.

Fam, I'm hurting right now. My pregnant girlfriend just broke up with me. When I said I will try to come to be there with her for the birth, she said, "If you want to come for the birth, it's up to you." It hurts so bad. I spent 3 year with this girl, spent $1000s on this girl, and for it to end like this is painful. She has said that she is not giving the child my last name so "she wouldn't have to field questions about why her and the child have different last names." I'm going to be a man and be in my child's life, but without the woman who helped me make it.

Shit, man. Sorry to hear that, especially at this time. What brought this to a head?

Damn...

GrapeApes

Make sure you get a paternity test when it's all said and done.

Silky

Banned

Wow. that's all sorts of wrong.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Sorry to hear that :(

Slayven

Damn that hurt my heart. Keep your head up and stay strong.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Shit, man. Sorry to hear that, especially at this time. What brought this to a head?

With her being in the military, she was stationed in Korea for a year and while we tried to keep in contact, she suffered from depression and anxiety. She got stationed in Florida back in February and I recently visited her in March for spring break. The entire week I was there, everything felt off and strained. About 2-3 weeks after I left, she called me to let me know she was pregnant. She said she was already deciding whether or not to break up with me before the baby so it was already in the making.

Make sure you get a paternity test when it's all said and done.

This is a definite. Her entire attitude has been shady as fuck. She doesn't care if I come to the birth, doesn't care if I help take care of the child, doesn't want to give the child my last name, and when pressed about if the child was mine or not she said verbatim, "The child is 100% yours with certainty. If you want to check, you're more then welcome to shell out the $300-$400 to get a paternity test." That set off some alarms. I don't want to think that she could do something like that, but I might have to call Maury lol.

Wow. that's all sorts of wrong.

Sorry to hear that :(

Damn that hurt my heart. Keep your head up and stay strong.

Thanks for the love guys. This is hard for me. My grandfather just passed away a few weeks ago and now this. Makes me not even want to try anymore.

Infinite

Damn dude that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Does it matter to you if the child has your last name? I would be more adamant about that if it mattered to me.

royalan

I don't know what's worse...

That an owner of an NBA team is blatantly and unabashedly racist.

Or that the league itself, and it's fans, are in the midst of arguing itself into keeping him in power (and MAYBE slapping him with a fine) for the good of the damn league.

Let me go back to not giving a shit about sports, because this shit is fucking embarrassing.

Infinite

Or that the league itself, and it's fans, are in the midst of arguing itself into keeping him in power (and MAYBE slapping him with a fine) for the good of the damn league.

Let me go back to not giving a shit about sports, because this shit is fucking embarrassing.

Damn for real?

Nakazato

Oh damn man Im sry to hear that. Thats fucking horrible. did she give you a reason or any clue this was going to happen?

FyreWulff

Wynne - get a paternity test, and then sue for custody.

If you don't get the test, and the kids is not yours, the state doesn't care and will go after whomever is on the birth certificate for child support - might hear this referred to as "providing male".

If the kid is confirmed to be yours, you're going to have to sue for custody.

You're not going to be able to do the test until the kids is born though, so maybe just give her some space for a moment, it could be her freaking out about being pregnant. Don't let her burn bridges. I'd definitely say "okay, i will" next time the paternity test is brought up, and see how she reacts.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Damn breh. Keep ya head up. :(

Yep. It's fucking disgusting.

DY_nasty

If you don't get the test, and the kids is not yours, the state doesn't care and will go after whomever is on the birth certificate for child support - might hear this referred to as "providing male".

You're not going to be able to do the test until the kids is born though, so maybe just give her some space for a moment, it could be her freaking out about being pregnant. Don't let her burn bridges. I'd definitely say "okay, i will" next time the paternity test is brought up, and see how she reacts.

This.

She might be on some simple "I'm just ready to move on with my life" shit but legally and financially you don't get that luxury.
Yep. It's fucking disgusting.

Unless something new came up (?), its just a lot of people realizing that shit isn't going to happen if Sterling can simply slam the door on the FBIs face still.

Wynne everyone has given you vital advice. Run with it. And my brother it sucks you have to endure that. I have been there so I can understand.

Nak- Where the hell you been?!

And why you cats were talking about the fucking Clippers, I was out in the world looking at the dredges of humanity. Went to the fucking flea market and theres this older cat walking with a ventilator and O2 tank. Right next to him holding his hand is an equally old ass female with goddamn cigarettes in her bra. Fucking Cause and effect.

Then we headed into the grocery store. And two big ass people taking up the damn aisles running around on mobility scooters. Just going back and forth. Everytime they back up that goddamn beep beep beep. Just GET UP AND WALK!!!

And to comment on the clippers

Man fuck him. But in all honesty what do you expect. A known racist with known racial tendencies. Now that its been brought to light do you think they will have the balls to do something about it. But then look at the money.

So I ask all of you, if you were working for a known racist, would you take the money if he wasnt directly bothering you?

KumaJG

That sucks, dont give up brotha

andthebeatgoeson

Sorry to hear that but this seems right on point. She is pregnant so don't trust the moods. It can be a difficult tone for any relationship. Sounds like you have more invested in your 'family' than she does. It fricken sucks. I used to think that going half on a baby was even an option. Nope. I see my 'brother in law' get dragged thru too much shit just for a kid and some ass.

I used to tell this girl if neither of us were married by 35,I was okay with that. I want too go slap the shit out of myself for even thinking like that.

bootski

what got me about the sterling thing is that chick that he's talking to is black and hispanic/asian or something. that shit is wild though. what's crazier is that the poor clippers players are playing in the playoffs, chris paul is the nba players union rep and can't say shit about it. CP did make a comment from his position as the union rep but as a player, knowing that you're playing to win for some guy who wouldn't want to be seen in public with you? that's gotta sting.

J10

Banned
Something is wrong with me. Totally blew a layup with this chick tonight. I feel like I should be blogging about it in OT right now and begging for L gifs.

FyreWulff

Something is wrong with me. Totally blew a layup with this chick tonight. I feel like I should be blogging about it in OT right now and begging for L gifs.

I wouldn't feel bad about it. Some people are just weird or want you to literally do every little motion. My OKC adventures have been interesting in that respect, but after a while it's like yeah I'm not doing everything, NEXT PERSON PLZ

Top Bottom