• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wynne - get a paternity test, and then sue for custody.

If you don't get the test, and the kids is not yours, the state doesn't care and will go after whomever is on the birth certificate for child support - might hear this referred to as "providing male".

If the kid is confirmed to be yours, you're going to have to sue for custody.

You're not going to be able to do the test until the kids is born though, so maybe just give her some space for a moment, it could be her freaking out about being pregnant. Don't let her burn bridges. I'd definitely say "okay, i will" next time the paternity test is brought up, and see how she reacts.

Sorry to hear that but this seems right on point. She is pregnant so don't trust the moods. It can be a difficult tone for any relationship. Sounds like you have more invested in your 'family' than she does. It fricken sucks. I used to think that going half on a baby was even an option. Nope. I see my 'brother in law' get dragged thru too much shit just for a kid and some ass.

I used to tell this girl if neither of us were married by 35,I was okay with that. I want too go slap the shit out of myself for even thinking like that.

I talked to my mother last night after everything went down and that was her advice as well. She was telling me that my gf could be playing hardball because in the case that the baby isn't mine, she isn't going to come after me for child support knowing that I going to get a paternity test ASAP to prove if I'm the actual father. I would love to sue for custody, but being as she is in the military and currently testing to become an E-5 in the Air Force while I'm just a college student using the GI Bill to get my Computer Science degree, that's going to look better to a judge that she takes care of the baby. I didn't sleep well last night over all of this. The baby is due in December. Gotta get my weight up for my child now.

I guess NBA stands for No Brothers Allowed, huh?

Somebody has made a meme pic using Candy from Django with the words "Donald Sterling roll in the Staples Center like..."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Sterling is racist, but the NBA, and his side piece, and his wife (according to Wikipedia, the man is still married), and the players for the Clippers, and the Clippers fans ALL ENABLE HIM. If anyone in this group looked past the money and checked him in the past, we wouldn't have this problem right now.

And he's just the one that got caught.

Trey

Somebody has made a meme pic using Candy from Django with the words "Donald Sterling roll in the Staples Center like..."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Sterling is racist, but the NBA, and his side piece, and his wife (according to Wikipedia, the man is still married), and the players for the Clippers, and the Clippers fans ALL ENABLE HIM. If anyone in this group looked past the money and checked him in the past, we wouldn't have this problem right now.

I don't think it's fair to lay this at the feet of the Clippers players or the Clippers fans. If you're going to do that, you have to put it on all fans, and all players. The NBA knew what Sterling was and was implicitly okay with it as long as he didn't make a fool of himself and the league. That backfired on them.

It's an ineffectual racism with respect to the employment of blacks in the league or even the Clippers, but it's a stark reminder that yes these people do exist, and wield considerable power.

And what is the problem, exactly? The dude just put himself back into the news for a hilariously stupid reason, and it might cost him an NBA team.

Meanwhile in Rayven's hood, I'm scared brehs

IMG_20140423_WA009.jpg

jmood88

Michael Jordan continues to be a huge piece of shit who cares about nothing but money. He could do a lot of good in this world but he's all about the dollars. It's sad.

I don't think it's fair to lay this at the feet of the Clippers players or the Clippers fans. If you're going to do that, you have to put it on all fans, and all players. The NBA knew what Sterling was and was implicitly okay with it as long as he didn't make a fool of himself and the league. That backfired on them.

It's an ineffectual racism with respect to the employment of blacks in the league or even the Clippers, but it's a stark reminder that yes these people do exist, and wield considerable power.

And what is the problem, exactly? The dude just put himself back into the news for a hilariously stupid reason, and it might cost him an NBA team.

I guess it's a matter of "what do you know?" and "when do you know?"

If a fan knows that the man is racist scum, then the fan has the option of not supporting the team. Players...it all depends on when a player finds out, I guess. If he's signed the contract, like Paul, and /then/ he realizes the team owner is really getting into that "owner" thing...maybe he's got bills to pay, child support, not enough money to cover breaking a contract, so he keeps his mouth shut until he's a free agent.

So, I see your point. And I agree that the NBA as an organization is totally culpable on this.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Not "anyone". Everyone would have to look past the money and check this guy. Which isn't going to happen

I think the biggest motivators that enable these guys is the fear everyone beneath them has that they can be replaced. That even if they do stand up, all it takes is for someone else to stand up and say they'd keep their mouth shut to take their place.

and that's kind of the society we live in. We don't take action because the status quo is too comfortable, so it's hard to get people to collectively challenge it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I talked to my mother last night after everything went down and that was her advice as well. She was telling me that my gf could be playing hardball because in the case that the baby isn't mine, she isn't going to come after me for child support knowing that I going to get a paternity test ASAP to prove if I'm the actual father. I would love to sue for custody, but being as she is in the military and currently testing to become an E-5 in the Air Force while I'm just a college student using the GI Bill to get my Computer Science degree, that's going to look better to a judge that she takes care of the baby. I didn't sleep well last night over all of this. The baby is due in December. Gotta get my weight up for my child now.

December is a long, long ways away and there's still plenty of time for things to fall into a better perspective for you. You don't have to do anything rash and you don't have to see anything as a certainty at this point either.

Also, and this may just be me misunderstanding things, how are you using the GI Bill if you guys aren't married?

FyreWulff

You're gonna have to sue even if you want partial custody or just visitation. Either way get ready to lawyer up. I think you might have to sue to even enforce the paternity test.

Also protip: if you get to the lawyering stage, only let her lawyer talk to yours. Don't talk to her and don't talk to her lawyer. You want every communication to be passed through the lawyer filter and have a paper trail in some way.

Either way you've got some time here. Don't panic.

Nakazato

Nak- Where the hell you been?!

Trying to get my shit together... Its hard Fam lol. So ill dodge out for days/weeks at a time.

Got a gig next week so ill have some money coming in.... But more than 1/2 my check will be going to bills that aren't even mine. At least will be able to get some clothes that will actually fit.

andthebeatgoeson

Trying to get my shit together... Its hard Fam lol. So ill dodge out for days/weeks at a time.

Got a gig next week so ill have some money coming in.... But more than 1/2 my check will be going to bills that aren't even mine. At least will be able to get some clothes that will actually fit.
Got damn. Good to see you check back in.

Wynne: just be easy and give it some time. After 3 kids, I can fully say that what's spoken during a pregnancy MAY have little to do with reality. Or like your fit is telling you, other shit is going on.

At this point, there's probably b nothing to stop you from getting a paternity test, so that's when it's game time. The rest of this is just a warm up. You might help yourself to just be open and welcoming. With emotions and hormones, she MAY just confess if she was doing dirt.

I have trouble thinking of other reasons she would let you off the hook. Maybe family issues (father abandonment?).

Wynne - get a paternity test, and then sue for custody.

If you don't get the test, and the kids is not yours, the state doesn't care and will go after whomever is on the birth certificate for child support - might hear this referred to as "providing male".

If the kid is confirmed to be yours, you're going to have to sue for custody.

You're not going to be able to do the test until the kids is born though, so maybe just give her some space for a moment, it could be her freaking out about being pregnant. Don't let her burn bridges. I'd definitely say "okay, i will" next time the paternity test is brought up, and see how she reacts.

5JqZf9S.gif

You need to protect yourself brotha. Pm me if you really need to talk about this. Having 3 kids and all of them girls; I have been through this from both sides.

DY_nasty

da fuq

Young Magus

Few Questions:

1.) What are y'all listening to right now?
2.) What is your opinion on Lil B?

To Slay, Silky and Wynne.....man good luck with all your separate issues and I hope that all ends up well on your ends.

As for the issue regarding the Clippers owner......fuck him. Shame that the easiest route to solving this (firing him) cant be taken at this point.

XD.

Also:

Well in America at least

1) soundcloud.com/herr-bert/herr-bert-dynamixx-techno-01
2) Lil B is like olde fashion cure all. People swear by it that it's good but it's actually killing you inside

With her being in the military, she was stationed in Korea for a year and while we tried to keep in contact, she suffered from depression and anxiety. She got stationed in Florida back in February and I recently visited her in March for spring break. The entire week I was there, everything felt off and strained. About 2-3 weeks after I left, she called me to let me know she was pregnant. She said she was already deciding whether or not to break up with me before the baby so it was already in the making..

Am I reading this correctly?

You visited her in March for a week. Got busy but things felt "off" and "strained." 2 or 3 weeks later she calls to tell you she's pregnant?

2-3 weeks is way, WAY too soon.

edit: not that I'm advocating not taking a paternity test, but that kid being yours seems fairly unlikely.

Wynnebeck

Banned
December is a long, long ways away and there's still plenty of time for things to fall into a better perspective for you. You don't have to do anything rash and you don't have to see anything as a certainty at this point either.

Also, and this may just be me misunderstanding things, how are you using the GI Bill if you guys aren't married?

I'm formerly Air Force myself, so the GI Bill is mine.

You're gonna have to sue even if you want partial custody or just visitation. Either way get ready to lawyer up. I think you might have to sue to even enforce the paternity test.

Also protip: if you get to the lawyering stage, only let her lawyer talk to yours. Don't talk to her and don't talk to her lawyer. You want every communication to be passed through the lawyer filter and have a paper trail in some way.

Either way you've got some time here. Don't panic.

5JqZf9S.gif

You need to protect yourself brotha. Pm me if you really need to talk about this. Having 3 kids and all of them girls; I have been through this from both sides.

Thanks for the advice fam. I definitely need to plan things out and get ready for the battle in the courts.

Am I reading this correctly?

You visited her in March for a week. Got busy but things felt "off" and "strained." 2 or 3 weeks later she calls to tell you she's pregnant?

2-3 weeks is way, WAY too soon.

edit: not that I'm advocating not taking a paternity test, but that kid being yours seems fairly unlikely.

Well this is how it panned out. She said February 25th was the start of her last period. She had been off BC for who knows how long prior and she said she started back taking it a week before I came down. I got down to Florida on March 8th where we had sex that day and then again on March 9th. After I leave sometime around the end of March/beginning of April she calls to let me know that she is pregnant (I'm still hazy on the time frame). She goes to the doctor for the checkup and just told me last week made 8 weeks she's been pregnant with the due date being December 2nd. Take that as you will.

Either way, I'm getting a paternity test. What woman breaks up with the father and tries to push away one of her biggest sources of support after finding out she's pregnant? I understand she just might be emotional and on that "strong black woman who don't need no man" bullstuff, but that just comes across as shady man.

DY_nasty

Thanks for the advice fam. I definitely need to plan things out and get ready for the battle in the courts.

Well this is how it panned out. She said February 25th was the start of her last period. She had been off BC for who knows how long prior and she said she started back taking it a week before I came down. I got down to Florida on March 8th where we had sex that day and then again on March 9th. After I leave sometime around the end of March/beginning of April she calls to let me know that she is pregnant (I'm still hazy on the time frame). She goes to the doctor for the checkup and just told me last week made 8 weeks she's been pregnant with the due date being December 2nd. Take that as you will.

Either way, I'm getting a paternity test. What woman breaks up with the father and tries to push away one of her biggest sources of support after finding out she's pregnant? I understand she just might be emotional and on that "strong black woman who don't need no man" bullstuff, but that just comes across as shady man.

Gotcha

and its absolutely shady as fuck. And since you're prior service, I hope you don't take offense to me saying its even shadier because she's in the military AND in Korea.

Long distance
Military
OCONUS

bruh

1) I've been listening to Ratking, its nice to hear young NY rappers not do the whole 90's nostalgia thing. A good majority of them can't live up to the golden era, I don't know why they are set on putting themselves in direct comparisons with it.
2) Lil B is the early 20th century Dada movement personified. He is everything and nothing at the same given moment. He is thoughtful, he is crass, he could be the savior and yet the destroyer hip-hop needs.
nah, but I rock with Lil B

EDIT: I just remembered a paper I wrote for my college lit class using that Lil B/Dada comparison. Its a great feeling getting an A on a paper where you quoted "Then I park my car, then I fuck your bitch, wet like wonton soup"

Wynnebeck

Banned
Gotcha

and its absolutely shady as fuck. And since you're prior service, I hope you don't take offense to me saying its even shadier because she's in the military AND in Korea.

Long distance
Military
OCONUS

bruh

I know. That's a possibility I'll take into account. If the baby is mine, I'll take care of it and love it wit no hesitation. If it's not mine though, I'm glad I know what to do now instead of getting hit with the child support later for a child not even mine.

I smell talapia. I smell salmon. Something is off. Get prepared but monitor the next couple months like a hawk. And take note of every detail. Even small.

Top Bottom