• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Slayven

Add to that, he's an old person with nothing to live for. Which means he probably won't be living much longer. /grim

I wasn't going to be morbid, but dudes like this have big pride. Sandowsky died soon after his scandal.Not wishing death on teh dude, but I wouldn't be surprised if he passed in the next 3 years.

BHZ Mayor

Ah here comes the slew of "why are people getting in trouble for personal opinions we secretly agree with."

Excuse me while I laugh in contempt every time at the feeble attempt to paint bigotry on the same level as disagreeing about flavors of ice cream.

I think you missed an important part about that brigade.

It's a smart move. Distance yourself from this asshole, try to stem the tide of possibly ignoring it meaning the press is really going to dig deep in your shit. Plus the loss of sponsors is a financial blow. These pricks are always about that bottom line too.

These Magic Johnson conspiracy theories.

Majic-Johnson-Confused-Popcorn-Gif.gif

I'm glad she leaked that shit. Fuck that dude.

While I can agree hate is bad, being salty because you're about to get your walking papers is on some other level shit entirely.

I think she will get tv deal

don't worry, she'll have the reality show on Vh1 soon enough

Guest spots on Basketball Wives LA are in her future most definitely. She'll do a couple of interviews and shit and fade into obscurity and then...

thats what the book deal and sextape are for

She'd drop a tape and I'd watch it. And surprising enough there'll be a few that'll line up to read the Side Chick Chronicles.

Absolutely.

He was living it up like a racist king. Smanging mixed girls with a wife at home, sitting courtside at the playoffs, living in LA.

Now...he can't go to ANY games EVER again, his team could be taken away from him, could very well be divorced since this would be the optimal time to get the upper hand in such proceedings. And now he's a pariah in LA.

Think about who you're messing with brehs.

My whole thing about this is when it comes to her was that she overstepped those agreed bounds. She knew she was a side chick. Lived it up as a side chick. But when he saw she wasn't playing her role is and wanted somebody who did she went and did this shit.

Exactly. Don't treat a side chick like a girlfriend.

I never got how people tempted fate by straight up disrespecting side-pieces. Even if the side-piece knows you're a piece of shit, why do it?

When it comes to side-pieces as with a lot of shit is the end is never in sight until the consequences of the beginning have already beat the shit out of you. Giant example being the current topic at hand.

From what I've witnessed in this life is having something on the side always ends bad. Usually when it ends it becomes a game of leverage of who can do more damage to who. Always. I've never seen a Happily Ever After in a situation like that and L's will always be taken. This is just another lesson in just don't do that shit unless you're ready to pay the price when it blows the fuck up.

I do wonder though, how Paula Deen is this situation for Sterling? She bounced back pretty quick after her brush with this type of infamy. Sterling will just count his Billions and just fade out of the picture.

It's a smart move. Distance yourself from this asshole, try to stem the tide of possibly ignoring it meaning the press is really going to dig deep in your shit.

DY and other NBA fans can probably add to what I'm gonna say but...as someone who knew Sterling was a giant irredeemable shit for years I thought he'd just Neo these side-chick heat seeking missiles.

This incident wouldn't even make it on Sterling's racist greatest hits. This is some b-side or demo collection stuff. But he got got. This is like a mob boss getting away with murder/rape/kidnapping etc and getting trapped by the feds for evading taxes.

cdyhybrid

DY and other NBA fans can probably add to what I'm gonna say but...as someone who knew Sterling was a giant irredeemable shit for years I thought he'd just Neo these side-chick heat seeking missiles.

This incident wouldn't even make it on Sterling's racist greatest hits. This is some b-side or demo collection stuff. But he got got. This is like a mob boss getting away with murder/rape/kidnapping etc and getting trapped by the feds for evading taxes.

Got him on that racketeering charge.

Well there's also the fact that many people outside of the NBA and its fan circle got to hear all this bullshit, and were going "wait what the fuck is this?" Not to mention all the articles that sprung up like "oh here Sterling goes again." Casual fans or people just not in the know got a big wake up call on this one too.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
From what I've witnessed in this life is having something on the side always ends bad. Usually when it ends it becomes a game of leverage of who can do more damage to who. Always. I've never seen a Happily Ever After in a situation like that and L's will always be taken. This is just another lesson in just don't do that shit unless you're ready to pay the price when it blows the fuck up.

That's what I'm saying though. She knew what time it was, the wife knew what time it was, the step-son probably knew what time it was, and he did too. How dumb do you have to be to disrespect someone whom has you on a wire at all times? lol. That shit is exceptionally crazy.

It's one thing to get caught when the s/o doesn't know, or you got caught by someone screen shotting text messages. To be this brazen though and everyone knew about it? That takes some kind of balls.

cdyhybrid

That's what I'm saying though. She knew what time it was, the wife knew what time it was, the step-son probably knew what time it was, and he did too. How dumb do you have to be to disrespect someone whom has you on a wire at all times? lol. That shit is exceptionally crazy.

It's one thing to get caught when the s/o doesn't know, or you got caught by someone screen shotting text messages. To be this brazen though and everyone knew about it? That takes some kind of balls.

I think when you're that rich and have the prestige of owning a sports team and shit you get to a point where you think you're invincible.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Well there's also the fact that many people outside of the NBA and its fan circle got to hear all this bullshit, and were going "wait what the fuck is this?" Not to mention all the articles that sprung up like "oh here Sterling goes again." Casual fans or people just not in the know got a big wake up call on this one too.

casual fans and people who like to yell "omg a racist" not knowing what housing discrimination is or how its worse make me angrier than dude's plantation politics and his coon workers

casual fans and people who like to yell "omg a racist" not knowing what housing discrimination is or how its worse make me angrier than dude's plantation politics and his coon workers

To be honest plenty of people are not up to snuff on the new Jim Crow, Housing Discrimination, and other institutionalized prejudice and injustice. This was pretty in your face and blatant though.

tmdorsey

Ah here comes the slew of "why are people getting in trouble for personal opinions."

Yep. Been listening to local sports talk and that's been the first thing brought up by people who are not in favor of the ruling.

As put by one of the hosts, voicing your opinions doesn't exclude you from repercussions from those opinions being known especially in business.

DY_nasty

To be honest plenty of people are not up to snuff on the new Jim Crow, Housing Discrimination, and other institutionalized prejudice and injustice. This was pretty in your face and blatant though.

but they want to tell everyone else how bad racism is because it makes people feel bad

I think when you're that rich and have the prestige of owning a sports team and shit you get to a point where you think you're invincible.

Exactly this. From what I've gathered this dude has been on this massa shit forever and nobody checked that ass before then. He got comfy and got reamed in the process because he wasn't paying attention. Shit, having that level of prestige would put me on alert at all times. Especially with the chick who's there just for the bread. Just have to watch what you do and say around folks is all.

Kreed

Why get mad at casual fans for not knowing Donald Sterling's housing antics? It's the mainstream media's fault for not covering it. If Good Morning America had done a 5 minute story on the housing discrimination, the same people would have called for his head.

xnipx

but they want to tell everyone else how bad racism is because it makes people feel bad

So let's shit on everybody else for just catching on? Shouldn't we all be happy that at least something happened to him or should we have sour grapes because it took a tmz scandal?

Infinite

Why get mad at casual fans for not knowing Donald Sterling's housing antics? It's the mainstream media's fault for not covering it. If Good Morning America had done a 5 minute story on the housing discrimination, the same people would have called for his head.

I agree with this but if neogaf is any example you show people these things and break it down for them and they still look at you like you crazy. But as soon as you get a sound byte of Alec Baldwin using a slur or what we have now with Sterling that's where we get the outrage.

DY_nasty

half of these people don't even know what housing discrimination is or why its hell of a lot worse than the fucked up shit you say to your jump off while smoking a cigar and feeling yourself

it irks the hell out of me how immediately jolted people are by racism yet they can't recognize one of the biggest active textbook racists currently living in america

it'd behoove them to actually understand what it is that makes them so angry

Oldschoolgamer

Pretty much.

Gorillaz

Bomani Jones talking bout how this was nothing compared to the housing problem was interesting. It never reall hit me how highway placement is more bout driving a wedge between certain areas like the example he mentioned Chicago

KumaJG

^Truth

You what shocking about Sterling is he been through the struggle. Dude grew up as a minority, lived in a poor neighborhoods, the whole sha-bang.

I wonder what took the NBA so long to off this dude.

DY_nasty

Jason Whitlock shutting everyone the fuck up omg

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10857268/removing-donald-sterling-la-clippers-owner-fix-our-culture

In our zeal to appear righteous or courageous or free of bigotry, a ratings-pleasing mob hell-bent on revenge turned Donald T. Sterling -- a victim of privacy invasion and white supremacy -- from villain to martyr.

In a society filled with impurities, the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers committed the crime of speaking impure thoughts in the privacy of a duplex he apparently provided for his mistress. And now an angry, agenda-fueled mob provoked NBA commissioner Adam Silver into handing Sterling a basketball death sentence.

On Tuesday, just 72 hours after the release of Sterling's Pillow Talk Tapes by TMZ, a rookie commissioner imposed a lifetime ban on a flawed man whose rights were violated.

Mob rule is dangerous. Well-intentioned, TV-baited mobs are the most dangerous. They do not consider the consequences of their actions, and they're prone to take a simple-minded, instant-gratification approach to justice rather than a strategic one.

Removing Donald Sterling from the NBA solves nothing. It sets a precedent that will likely boomerang and harm the black players and coaches who are shocked and outraged that an 80-year-old man with a documented history of bigoted actions also has bigoted private thoughts.

Let's be careful here. From the owner's box to the locker room, professional sports are overrun with wealthy men in complicated, volatile sexual relationships. If TMZ plans to make "pillow talk" public and the standard is set that "pillow talk" is actionable, it won't be long before a parade of athletes joins Sterling on Ignorance Island.

A right to privacy is at the very foundation of American freedoms. It's a core value. It's a mistake to undermine a core value because we don't like the way a billionaire exercises it. What happens when a disgruntled lover gives TMZ a tape of a millionaire athlete expressing a homophobic or anti-Semitic or anti-white perspective?

Warriors coach Mark Jackson, who called for Clippers fans to boycott Game 5, seems quite vulnerable to mob rule. Jackson is super-religious. He's previously been extorted by a stripper he kept as a mistress. And some of the LGBT community views Jackson as homophobic.

The conversation revolving around Donald Sterling is unsophisticated, and so was the heavy-handed punishment. They're driven by emotion rather than logic. It does not serve the greater good of the offended black community. Sterling is a scapegoat. He is an easy target, a decoy so that we do not address the elephant he walked into his mistress' bedroom.

"We don't evaluate what's right and wrong," Sterling is heard telling his black-and-Latina mistress when she asked if it was right to treat black as less than white. "We live in a society. We live in a culture. We have to live within that culture."

Sterling adheres to a pervasive culture, the hierarchy established by global white supremacy.

"I don't want to change the culture because I can't," Sterling says. "It's too big."

This was Sterling's one moment of clarity. The culture of white supremacy created Donald Sterling. He did not create the culture.

Much of what Sterling said on the tape is a rambling mess that can be interpreted many ways by sophisticated, mature and objective ears. To my ears, he doesn't care that his mistress has black friends. He doesn't care if she has sexual relationships with black men. He's married. They're not in a monogamous relationship. He simply does not want her extracurricular activities, particularly when they might involve black men, flaunted at his basketball games or all over Instagram.

This conversation, while grotesque and abhorrent, is not remotely unique or limited to old white men. My father was hood-rich, good looking and a playa who enjoyed the company of a younger, kept woman. Many of his friends had similar tastes. Their private conversations about dating could sound every bit as abhorrent and grotesque as Sterling's. I've heard young black men and women engage in equally grotesque and abhorrent private conversations, particularly when their feelings are hurt or they feel betrayed.

No. The substantive meat of Sterling's Sex, Lies and Audiotape is his point about the culture that created his worldview. He is adhering to the standards of his peer group. He is adhering to the standards of the world he lives in. It's a world inhabited by all of us. It's a culture that shapes everyone's worldview on some level. It fuels the black self-hatred at the core of commercialized hip-hop culture, and is at the root of the NAACP's initial plan to twice honor an unrepentant bigot with a lifetime achievement award.

White-supremacy culture is created, maintained and run by rich white men, Sterling's peers. He is the longest-tenured owner in the NBA. Former commissioner David Stern had multiple opportunities to run Sterling out of the league for his bigoted actions. Sterling's peers have always protected him ... until he had the audacity and stupidity to be caught on tape explaining the culture they maintain.

It's comical to watch the well-intentioned mob circle around Sterling as if his unintended transparency says nothing about his peer group. It's equally comical seeing this issue framed as a "black issue," with black people running to suggest ways to clean up Sterling's mess.

White people should be wearing black socks, turning their T-shirts inside out, protesting outside the Staples Center. This is their culture, their Frankenstein. Or maybe they agree with Donald T. Sterling.

"I don't want to change the culture because I can't. It's too big."

It's also too beneficial. It's too comfortable.

Well-intentioned white people should be holding nationally televised panel discussions focusing on ways to lessen the damaging impact of white-supremacy culture. Well-intentioned white people who work within or support the NBA should be demanding that the NBA power structure cede some of its governing power to men and women who look like the overwhelming majority of the league's players.

Instead, the mainstream fanned the flames, enraging the angry black mob looking for a quick solution, a sacrificial lamb -- and now, by the end of the week, we'll be back to business as usual, pretending the stoning of Sterling harmed the culture that created him.

FyreWulff

A game I worked on got Greenlit for Steam today.

The weird part is I founded the company that made it, but left ages ago because I wanted to go off and do my own thing, so it's like your kid doing it big before you do

You what shocking about Sterling is he been through the struggle. Dude grew up as a minority, lived in a poor neighborhoods, the whole sha-bang.

I wonder what took the NBA so long to off this dude.

I think the Whitlock piece gets to the heart of it. He was born a poor jewish kid but once he got welcomed into the rich kids club those labels evaporated. He conformed to rich white man culture that he saw around him because it was easy, it was comfortable and most likely, it was necessary. You heard in the tapes, they referenced those around him telling him these things about his side piece and he was merely trying to silence those voices.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm on my phone, but there's a pic of the chick sitting with pimp Don Magic Juan...and she legally changed her first name to V.

She's crazier than a cat shit casserole

Nakazato

A game I worked on got Greenlit for Steam today.

The weird part is I founded the company that made it, but left ages ago because I wanted to go off and do my own thing, so it's like your kid doing it big before you do
You should be proud tho

Saturday I can tell you guys what I'm working on ;)

royalan

What the fuck is this bullshit?

No, Donald Sterling does not get a pass because he's a product of a larger white-dominant culture. On what fucking planet does even IMPLYING that make a shred of fucking sense?

That's like saying we should pardon a murderer because he grew up in a bad neighborhood with no access to quality education and is just a "product of his environment."

In an ideal world we'd attack both racist dumbfucks and the power structure that allows them to accrue unspeakable amounts of money from the very people they fucking despise, but you don't let off one in favor of attacking the other. Poor Donald Sterling got hung out to dry by a scorned mistress, and now this nigga is mad because people are calling for his head instead of what? Yelling at a cloud about the "larger issues" but ultimately doing nothing? We can still yell at that fucking cloud WHILE dragging this racist piece of shit through the mud.

Regardless of the larger forces undoubtedly at play here, the fact remains that Donald Sterling's the one that got "caught out there." He deserves all the hate he gets.

Nakazato

Black Panther movie confirmation Saturday.

Mark it down.
Don't put that on me lol. If I was working on PB Monica's would be get pms asap. I'd be leaking shit.

I'm proud, but my royalty rate is so low on that game I don't even factor it into my financials
Damn. They gonna at least throw you a free copy

Lots of sugar babies getting coupes today.

Slay getting devo a coup ? Simp lvls maximum.

wb devo we need you to keep slay in his place

tmdorsey

No, Donald Sterling does not get a pass because he's a product of a larger white-dominant culture. On what fucking planet does even IMPLYING that make a shred of fucking sense?

That's like saying we should pardon a murderer because he grew up in a bad neighborhood with no access to quality education and is just a "product of his environment."

In an ideal world we'd attack both racist dumbfucks and the power structure that allows them to accrue unspeakable amounts of money from the very people they fucking despise, but you don't let off one in favor of attacking the other. Poor Donald Sterling got hung out to dry by a scorned mistress, and now this nigga is mad because people are calling for his head instead of what? Yelling at a cloud about the "larger issues" but ultimately doing nothing? We can still yell at that fucking cloud WHILE dragging this racist piece of shit through the mud.

It's Whitlock. I'm not at all surprised.

Oldschoolgamer

Lots of sugar babies getting coupes today.

I wish I jumped on that wave early. I might be sitting pretty right now.

Exactly. edit: All of this really (not just the bold).

I'm against breaking privacy laws, especially cause "you mad", but fuck outta here with expecting me to care when racists and homophobes get caught-up because they made poor life choices.

The thing I will agree with, is that everybody is going to miss the fact that the NBA let this shit rock KNOWING about Sterling's dealings with minorities. THAT is the fucked part about this.

Regardless of the larger forces undoubtedly at play here, the fact remains that Donald Sterling's the one that got "caught out there." He deserves all the hate he gets.

No doubt, Sterling getting dragged through the mud is delicious. And I do disagree with Whitlock that this is a completely isolated victory against Donald and not at least a stab at the racist bubble that molded him and his worldview.

Making an example out of him at the very least has his peers sweating about how they conduct themselves.

Sterling being a billionaire, he for sure has millionaires under him legit shook. If one taped conversation can turn the public against him they don't stand a chance if they were adapting or came into that world with a similar attitude.

Gorillaz

The thing I will agree with, is that everybody is going to miss the fact that the NBA let this shit rock KNOWING about Sterling's dealings with minorities. THAT is the fucked part about this.
Media won't say shit but I think behind closed doors people are saying that NBA ain't shit

Top Bottom