• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It seems like no one knows about Sterling's past discriminatory practices (Elgin Baylor, housing discrimination, etc..).

That's because they don't. Unless you're a hardcore follower of the NBA, I wouldn't expect anyone (let alone the stereotype American) to know shit about Sterling's past. For some people, this is their first acknowledgement of this existence. That is made so, due to the problems we have with our media.

The sterling story essentially just became a boogie man story for millionaires. This can happen to you type shit. Will it curb anything? No. Not at all. We still got cats out there just as dirty but hadn't been caught. But the points made by most of you are fantastic. And yet we soldier on until the next fuckstick gets toppled.

What's the old phrase "It worked for Capone...."
Shitty argument, but tbh, I'm actually wondering if anyone in there is gonna answer the question.

Hell no they will not. We got those passive aggressive racist.....lol.

Infinite

What the fuck is this bullshit?

No, Donald Sterling does not get a pass because he's a product of a larger white-dominant culture. On what fucking planet does even IMPLYING that make a shred of fucking sense?

That's like saying we should pardon a murderer because he grew up in a bad neighborhood with no access to quality education and is just a "product of his environment."

In an ideal world we'd attack both racist dumbfucks and the power structure that allows them to accrue unspeakable amounts of money from the very people they fucking despise, but you don't let off one in favor of attacking the other. Poor Donald Sterling got hung out to dry by a scorned mistress, and now this nigga is mad because people are calling for his head instead of what? Yelling at a cloud about the "larger issues" but ultimately doing nothing? We can still yell at that fucking cloud WHILE dragging this racist piece of shit through the mud.

Regardless of the larger forces undoubtedly at play here, the fact remains that Donald Sterling's the one that got "caught out there." He deserves all the hate he gets.

Sterling should be made an example of no doubt about it but I think he has a very strong point. Why do we condemn people who get caught saying racists words but not people for racist practices?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What the fuck is this bullshit?

No, Donald Sterling does not get a pass because he's a product of a larger white-dominant culture. On what fucking planet does even IMPLYING that make a shred of fucking sense?

That's like saying we should pardon a murderer because he grew up in a bad neighborhood with no access to quality education and is just a "product of his environment."

In an ideal world we'd attack both racist dumbfucks and the power structure that allows them to accrue unspeakable amounts of money from the very people they fucking despise, but you don't let off one in favor of attacking the other. Poor Donald Sterling got hung out to dry by a scorned mistress, and now this nigga is mad because people are calling for his head instead of what? Yelling at a cloud about the "larger issues" but ultimately doing nothing? We can still yell at that fucking cloud WHILE dragging this racist piece of shit through the mud.

Regardless of the larger forces undoubtedly at play here, the fact remains that Donald Sterling's the one that got "caught out there." He deserves all the hate he gets.
You missed alllll of the point of that

The thing I will agree with, is that everybody is going to miss the fact that the NBA let this shit rock KNOWING about Sterling's dealings with minorities. THAT is the fucked part about this.

The problem I have with that is they didn't have the ammunition needed to do anything worthwhile. Elgin Baylor didn't win that case and this is from the discrimination case:

Robert Platt, a lawyer for the Sterling Family Trust, said at the time that the settlement includes no admission of liability and the government "could not identify a single individual who was wrongfully denied the right to rent an apartment from the trust." He said the company had a "zero-tolerance" policy regarding discrimination.
"My clients vehemently and unequivocally deny that anyone was discriminated against," Platt said in a written statement on the settlement. "Nevertheless, the insurance companies for the trust decided to settle the case because the cost of continued litigation far exceeded the cost of settlement."

NBA couldn't go ham on him. Go after him after he won his case or settled out of court without much of a stink? That wouldn't have goen over well. I will say at those times he should have been heavily fined for damaging the NBA's image at least. But without the support of some combination of the media/ the players/ the owners their hands were somewhat tied.

The recording gave them what they needed, unparalleled support. They're taking advantage of the buzz to do what they wouldn't have been successful of doing back in 09 and then some.

royalan

No doubt, Sterling getting dragged through the mud is delicious. And I do disagree with Whitlock that this is a completely isolated victory against Donald and not at least a stab at the racist bubble that molded him and his worldview.

Making an example out of him at the very least has his peers sweating about how they conduct themselves.

Sterling being a billionaire, he for sure has millionaires under him legit shook. If one taped conversation can turn the public against him they don't stand a chance if they were adapting or came into that world with a similar attitude.

Exactly.

Tar and feathering Donald Sterling may not completely curb the white-supremacist power structure, but I'm all for giving those crows another scarecrow to be afraid of.

It's bad enough that we have to live with the knowledge that blatant racism like this still exists, and in very high places; but that doesn't mean we should shut up and present our asses when it's blatantly waved in front of us. Poor Donald Sterling deserves every bit of embarrassment and ill-will that comes from this. And for the rest of these fuckers, let this be a warning: next time your wife tries to sue your biracial girlfriend, tell her to sit her ass down.

Trey

Making an example out of him at the very least has his peers sweating about how they conduct themselves.

I'm not so sure that they're sweating. Most racist billionaires are probably smarter with theirs, and Sterling has been an open racist for years. It's not like he only got caught for saying the wrong thing, he just reminded people that he's an idiot.

DY_nasty

Exactly.

Tar and feathering Donald Sterling may not completely curb the white-supremacist power structure, but I'm all for giving those crows another scarecrow to be afraid of.

It's bad enough that we have to live with the knowledge that blatant racism like this still exists, and in very high places; but that doesn't mean we should shut up and present our asses when it's blatantly waved in front of us. Poor Donald Sterling deserves every bit of embarrassment and ill-will that comes from this. And for the rest of these fuckers, let this be a warning: next time your wife tries to sue your biracial girlfriend, tell her to sit her ass down.

Afraid of? They're probably the ones who suggested this spectacle.

Its not "poor donald sterling" by any means. Its the fact that this very culture is what kept everyone completely silent the day it came out so people came out wearing black socks and journalists didn't say a real word instead of confronting this for what it is.

The # of people who could've actually said and done something years ago was huge. The # of people who could've actually said and done something earlier this week was staggering.

Enzom21

It gets better:
Not trolling at all. Just looking at it objectively. Unlike the rest of people who quickly jump on the "racists should be hung" bandwagon. It was the same thing with Trayvon Martin last year. Then more facts came out and a lot of people looked really silly. Now I don't think more facts will come out in the Sterling case, however it's similar in the way people are quick to overreact.

Yes. There are racist people all over the world. Accept it. Get over it. People are free to think whatever they want. Sterling didn't harm anyone here. He's done more for minorities than most of you ever will. He wasn't given a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP for nothing.

Sterlings rights are being violated here more than anyone else's. He has a right to say and feel whatever he wants in private. Now he's banned for life and forced to sell a team he owns.... all because of a few comments he made in private. You can't force someone to think a certain way but I guess that's what the media and NBA wants to do.

Get out the pitchforks fellas. You angry mob of anti-racists have the same mentality as a lynch mob.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Afraid of? They're probably the ones who suggested this spectacle.

Its not "poor donald sterling" by any means. Its the fact that this very culture is what kept everyone completely silent the day it came out so people came out wearing black socks and journalists didn't say a real word instead of confronting this for what it is.

The # of people who could've actually said and done something years ago was huge. The # of people who could've actually said and done something earlier this week was staggering.

So what course of action here would you find appropriate?

I'm not so sure that they're sweating. Most racist billionaires are probably smarter with theirs, and Sterling has been an open racist for years. It's not like he only got caught for saying the wrong thing, he just reminded people that he's an idiot.

A lot of these older guys got the point hammered home. Anyone with a smartphone can turn a private conversation public.

DominoKid

This is niggas problem now. Rather than use the momentum from this shit to make people more aware of housing discrimination and the effects it has we rather bicker and fight and complain about what brought it to light.

you get more articles/airtime out of this way. more articles = more money in journalists/media pockets w/ way less effort than actually getting down to the root of the situation.

xnipx

you get more articles/airtime out of this way. more articles = more money in journalists/media pockets w/ way less effort than actually getting down to the root of the situation.

But why not use this time to shine light on housing discrimination??? Rather rhan bitch and complain about an article written 9 years ago not getting any hits like bomani jones?? A lot of good can be done towards bringing housing discrimination and it's effects to light but people rather bitch and moan about "tmz culture"

DY_nasty

So what course of action here would you find appropriate?

Start with calling out the jokes in the players association

the last head was using money for strippers and other dumb shit

this one happily took money for two years from a literal slumlord just to act like he's leading the charge with his inside out jersey when everyone else finds out what his boss is

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You read my mind. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm getting Verdict Day and Soul 5.

Easy guess. There's some mad good deals this week.

Like Live I just grab it when there's a sale on it. Got a year for 29.99 last November and it's already paid for itself through free full games before this sale

But why not use this time to shine light on housing discrimination??? Rather rhan bitch and complain about an article written 9 years ago not getting any hits like bomani jones?? A lot of good can be done towards bringing housing discrimination and it's effects to light but people rather bitch and moan about "tmz culture"

They also could have done it 9 years ago when the original pieces were written. It's not like housing discrimination is new, or that it hasn't been covered and fought against before. This time there is some new heat and a very public arena to take advantage of, so that's what people are doing.

Gorillaz

Because what happens in your favorite sport is more important then realizing how fucked up the housing market is and how far down the rabbit hole it goes

DY_nasty

all this 'shine light' bullshit kills me too

people are gonna forget about all of this when they find a new piece of that missing plane or when obama gets pregnant

how about people fulfill a responsibility to themselves and take some personal initiative instead of waiting for a headline to spoonfeed them

Because most people have an agenda that will benefit themselves rather then shed light and not get theirs. Im not saying there aren't people trying to fight for the struggle, but people gonna do for themselves first always. If it helps in the long run, cool but that's just how it is. Do you think ole girl did that to shed a better light on a known racist or to get hers? Cats writing articles to benefit us or to fill their own pockets?

tmdorsey

Sterling should be made an example of no doubt about it but I think he has a very strong point. Why do we condemn people who get caught saying racists words but not people for racist practices?

No doubt he should have been punished for the racist practices, but for whatever reasons the case was allowed to be settled and the NBA didn't feel the need to react to it. I don't see how that leads to Sterling being "a sacrificial lamb" or why people shouldn't be outrage and when his racist and bigot views are put right into people's faces.

xnipx

all this 'shine light' bullshit kills me too

people are gonna forget about all of this when they find a new piece of that missing plane or when obama gets pregnant

how about people fulfill a responsibility to themselves and take some personal initiative instead of waiting for a headline to spoonfeed them

But why not use this opportunity to educate more people?? Aren't you doing just as much harm by complaining instead of pushing the cause as they are by forgetting about it in 2 weeks?

If it's all about individual responsibility and "why didn't y'all care 11 years ago" nothing is ever gonna get done.

Infinite

No doubt he should have been punished for the racist practices, but for whatever reasons the case was allowed to be settled and the NBA didn't feel the need to react to it. I don't see how that leads to Sterling being "a sacrificial lamb" or why people shouldn't be outrage and when his racist and bigot views are put right into people's faces.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't but no one is getting a pat on the back from me for calling sterling out when got caught on tape when he's been involved with actual racists practices for years and very few people said a word about it.

DominoKid

because housing discrimination is a boring, ugly topic that people don't want to read about. why do you think nobody cared 8 years ago when Sterling got popped for it?

shit, people really don't care now about it. it's just another piece of ammo to use to point out that Sterling is a bad guy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You guys aren't wrong

I just think yelling at people for not knowing about it is counterproductive

because housing discrimination is a boring, ugly topic that people don't want to read about. why do you think nobody cared 8 years ago when Sterling got popped for it?

shit, people really don't care now about it. it's just another piece of ammo to use to point out that Sterling is a bad guy.

100% unadulterated TRUTH

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Age should not exclude people from penalties for being racist. Yes, I just saw this in that Sterling topic and would say something but I'm not in the mood to even argue.

I need to eat before I go nuts.

You know it's true, stuff like sterling's brew haha is what a lot of folks to wait on until talking about racism. Otherwise no one is going to do mass public finger pointing.

I don't know man, I just folks take away from this that it's still an issue. Old man antics or not

From the Sterling thread:

What i meant is this....

When the news first came out, it was twisted and spun so much by the media. It was blown out of proportion and everyone quickly overreacted.

They showed a picture of Trayvon from when he was like 12 years old and looked like an innocent child.... Later on more recent pictures came out of him and he didn't look like such an innocent child in those ones. If the media had used more recent photos that accurately showed what Trayvon looked like when he got shot, their never wouldve been a public outcry.

There was a huge misrepresentation and a lot of people thought the story was "innocent black kid goes to buy skittles wearing a hoodie and gets profiled and shot for no reason". Even Obama commented on it saying "if I had a child he would look like Trayvon"..... then there were pics released of Trayvon where he was giving the middle finger, trying to look like a thug...

the more realistic story was that Zimmerman was assaulted and used a legally owned firearm as self defense... which is why he was ultimately found innocent.

People found comments from trayvon online where he's talking about drugs, fighting, violence, etc. He wasn't this little angel that CNN was trying to make him out to be.

And ofcourse, it was revealed that NBC had doctored the Zimmerman 911 call to make it sound racist, when it never was racist to begin with. That's a fact.

The media made it a race issue and basically ruined Zimmermans life. They nearly started riots with that. Social media jumped as soon as the media snapped their fingers. ZOMG RACISM! Let's all kill zimmerman! lol It was like a modern day lynch mob.

So when I compared the Sterling thing to Trayvons case... I compare it in the way everyone is so quick to jump on the bandwagon without really getting all the facts and thinking about it objectively and fairly. It's the same in the way the media really blows it out of proportion and makes the guy seem like a monster, and then the ensuing public outcry afterwards.

from what I have heard of the Sterling tape its not even that bad. He basically didn't want his girlfriend to post pictures of herself with Magic Johnson because he's black, and he told her not to bring black people to the games with her. It's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be IMO.

People need to understand the guy is 80 years old and from a different era than we are. That doesn't make what he said OK, but there should be some understanding that he isn't going to be as liberal as the rest of us. He said these things in private to his girlfriend.

reaction.gif

Satch

Banned
where the fuck is kaeptain or whatever the fuck im about to BLAST your ASS for your comment in the rihanna thread you fucking nerd how DARE YOU?????

where the fuck is kaeptain or whatever the fuck im about to BLAST your ASS for your comment in the rihanna thread you fucking nerd how DARE YOU?????

I've seen a lot of tits in my life. Those are bad.

Then again I am not some nerd that has only seen tits in porn and 80's movies. Those would be in the lower tier from all the tits I have seen in the last six months.

Top Bottom