• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I love being a gafer but when review time comes .......

I just find it crazy that people get upset with a score they don't agree with without having played the game themselves.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
90s was a great time for girl and minority sitcoms before the 2000s came and it was all trash.

has there ever been an explanation by an executive or something explaining the lack minority shows during that that time ?

So I was looking up some definitions online (at merriam-webster.com) and that last example:

NzxAS8q.jpg

I mean...it's cited....I mean, I understand that it's out of context but...I mean.....they really couldn't find a second example that was better?

Slayven

Every fucking time.

"Hey guys I am just stating the facts, Zimmerman legally killed Martin. It was a good kill, I don't know why you guys are mad."

Enzom21

Was there a 90s black sitcom that didn't have one of Kid n Play guess starring in a episode?
I only remember Kid being on a bunch of shows. Never saw much of Play.
I miss Kid and Play movies...

the last great one was "Girlfriends" from 2000. Its been 14 years since a good/great black sitcom premiered..... think about that
There used to be a lot more sitcoms on network tv in the 90s, but sitcoms seem to be dying like Saturday morning cartoons did.
Unfortunately, the black sitcom is the first casualty of that.

Enzom21

Every fucking time.

"Hey guys I am just stating the facts, Zimmerman legally killed Martin. It was a good kill, I don't know why you guys are mad."

The most annoying part of that shit is the belief Zimmerman's actions were completely justified, that he was just "defending" himself.

Yet Trayvon is never seen as a victim fighting for his life and him fighting Zimmerman is viewed as an attack rather than a defense.

Shooting and killing someone seems to more reasonable as a defense to these people.

The 90s were definitely a better time for sitcoms. Living Single had the GOAT theme song btw.

It's a shame that most of the black sitcoms at the time don't capture that spirit. Tyler Perry's work is pretty ass, and I remember that Ice Cube started a sitcom based on the Are We There Yet stuff? I remember that not being good either.

Whatever happened to Tatyana M. Ali's show though? Love That Girl or something like that, I believe it was executive produced by Martin Lawrence.

Slayven

The most annoying part of that shit is the belief Zimmerman's actions were completely justified, that he was just "defending" himself.

Yet Trayvon is never seen as a victim fighting for his life and him fighting Zimmerman is viewed as an attack rather than a defense.

Shooting and killing someone seems to more reasonable as a defense to these people.
And they always jump to him getting his ass beat, and forget all the shit that lead up to it.
The 90s were definitely a better time for sitcoms. Living Single had the GOAT theme song btw.

It's a shame that most of the black sitcoms at the time don't capture that spirit. Tyler Perry's work is pretty ass, and I remember that Ice Cube started a sitcom based on the Are We There Yet stuff? I remember that not being good either.

Whatever happened to Tatyana M. Ali's show though? Love That Girl or something like that, I believe it was executive produced by Martin Lawrence.
It si still on, but Ali left and the show literally has no main star.

Flex going to be back.

bwpFlexAlexander005.jpg

Every fucking time.

Here's a convenient pre-packaged statement I thought of over the weekend for the less intelligent members of Gaf to use.

'We, the unhindered population of NeoGAF, reserve the right not to recognize incidents of racism, sexism, sexual orientation discrimination, or any other forms of discrimination against a minority unless we are also sufficiently offended* AND all members of the groups in question* are in agreement about the discrimination.

*1-Offense will not be offered in cases where ignorance is considerable, as ignorance and racism are completely separate.

*2-"members of the groups in question" extends outside of GAF and includes black friends, mexican girlfriends, and people we've seen on television."

We can copy-paste this into the OPs of the relevant threads and they can quote it with a "this", "+1", or period and save their carpal tunnel energy for something else

Enzom21

And they always jump to him getting his ass beat, and forget all the shit that lead up to it.

All of Zimmerman's actions are ignored, he is viewed as an innocent guy doing nothing before he was savagely attacked by the "thug" Trayvon.

They never consider that Zimmerman being the wannabe cop that he is tried to detain Trayvon and Trayvon fought back.

Furyous

Was there a 90s black sitcom that didn't have one of Kid n Play guess starring in a episode?

Homeboyz in outer space. Imagine Black Twitter's response to that show in 2014. Everyone's getting whiteballed unless they on that Kevin Hart.

Usually, I bust my iphone and read instapaper articles or play Deus Ex. In someone feels that way about Trayvon then clearly they think the worse of me. It's scary to even think about it. That can easily happen to any of us.

Kreed

"Hello, I'm a GAF Internet Detective. I see you black folks getting all uppity and upset over this thug wannabe gangsta so I'm going to stir the pot a little bit with my 5 minutes of reading a wikipedia article knowledge"

tmdorsey

She was my favorite of the group.

Maxine Shaw is one of my all time favorite tv characters period. Up there with Al Bundy, George Constanza, and Cliff Huxtable.

You know that show Half and Half that came out a while back. It had an episode that showed what happen to them after the end of Living Single. It was a solid episode.

Yep. They were married if I remember right.

Living Single is/was a great show. I remember seeing Queen Latifa in club while drunk and tell her I was huge fan. I wish I could have clarified that I was a huge fan of Living Single. lol.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Man, 90s was too good. I try explaining that to my little sister. We had great music, shows, and while videogame vary by person in opinion, a lot of the really good ones started in the nineties.

I just loved Sister, Sister, The Nanny, Full House, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Moesha, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Martin, Steve Harvey Show, Xena Warrior Princess, and dammit too many others to list lol.

I gotta see Living Single again. I was practically a baby so I don't remember much of it but all the others I saw multiple times. I think the last minority show that was on probably My Wife and Kids or George Lopez.

So, what singer/rapper comes to you guys mind when you think 90s? I think of TLC, Whitney ( D: ), and Aaliyah. I know Whitney started in late 80s but most of her career took off in the 90s, just like MJ.

And now I'm sad. :(

I remember One on One being good...until the retool that completely ruined the show.

Really the good black Sitcoms died during the UPN/WB merger.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I do feel Martin is timeless though. Pure comfort TV. It's like when the Golden Girls comes on...yeah I'll watch it until it stops.

"Oh, 3 hours of Golden Girls?
....good."

Infinite

I do feel Martin is timeless though. Pure comfort TV. It's like when the Golden Girls comes on...yeah I'll watch it until it stops.

"Oh, 3 hours of Golden Girls?
....good."

I was watching a episode the other day (Kid was featured in i conveniently) and I somewhat agree but some of the relationship jokes are hella dated.

Mumei

In today's depressing news that isn't really news:

In a new study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, researchers asked college students and police officers to estimate the ages of young children who they were told had committed a crime (both misdemeanors and felonies). In both groups, respondents were far more likely to overestimate the ages of young black boys than young white boys; they were also less likely to view black children as innocent.

“Children in most societies are considered to be in a distinct group with characteristics such as innocence and the need for protection,” study author and professor of psychology at UCLA Phillip Atiba Goff said of the study. “Our research found that black boys can be seen as responsible for their actions at an age when white boys still benefit from the assumption that children are essentially innocent.”

The goal of the study, according to researchers, was to determine the extent to which respondents dehumanized young black children, and how this racist dehumanization can lead to violence and unjust treatment. “f human childhood affords protections against harsh, adult-like treatment, then in contexts where these children are dehumanized, they can be treated with adult severity” — specifically in the criminal justice system, researchers wrote.

As Philip Bump at the Wire notes, college students tended to overestimate the ages of young boys who were presented as having committed a felony by 4.53 years, meaning that 13 and 14 year old children were determined by respondents to be legal adults. Police officers tended overestimate these boys’ ages by 4.59 years. Overall, researchers note, participants viewed black children aged 10 and older as “significantly less innocent than other children of every age group.”

There was also a correlation between the police officers’ responses and their record of using force against people suspected of a crime, specifically young black boys, though Goff noted that “future research should try to clarify the relationship between dehumanization and racial disparities in police use of force.”

Top Bottom