• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't a comment on its quality either way.

I am just legit shook whenever I'm reminded that it's a real thing that was shown to real people in real movie theaters

It wasn't a comment on its quality either way.

I am just legit shook whenever I'm reminded that it's a real thing that was shown to real people in real movie theaters

I think there were enough names involved to push it through. You had Neil Patrick Harris and Denise Richards to boot.

Caucasian overload

Undercover Brother was a solid satire. It was damn good. Maybe I'm looking for deeper meaning where there isn't one.

And I would love to see a Friday with the transition from trying to be a young cat to middle age/old head. That would be funny in its self.

Slayven

Only one that should be mad with Hart is this dude

johnson1.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think there were enough names involved to push it through. You had Neil Patrick Harris and Denise Richards to boot.

Caucasian overload

This reminded me of how I saw the DVD in the bargain bin at walmart a year or two ago.

They replaced Aunjanue Ellis on the cover with Dave Chappelle and put Denise RIchards in the center spot moving Eddie Griffin to the side.

Eddie now 3rd billed actor in his own goddamn movie.

Undercover Brother was a solid satire. It was damn good. Maybe I'm looking for deeper meaning where there isn't one.

And I would love to see a Friday with the transition from trying to be a young cat to middle age/old head. That would be funny in its self.

I don't know man. That's what Clerks 2 tried to do and even by the end of the movie I still felt uncomfortable that this was how these characters ended up.

Like they're in their 40's still living together and working part time jobs. Nobody trying to relate to that shit. Even if it's true

Kreed

It's mostly black people that I see like Kevin Hart.

I brought up Katt Williams because he seemed like the guy taking Chappelle's place there. Black comedian for white people to look at and go LOL THIS IS HOW THEY REALLY ARE. Kevin Hart's comedy doesn't seem to play off of black stereotypes as much as Williams or Chappelle's.

and to be fair that's not a place most black comedians want to be to begin with. I mean people forget Chappelle walked away from that status because he hated his comedy being consumed like that.

Even if we compare anecdotal evidence to anecdotal evidence, just watch Kevin Hart's film "Let Me Explain" where Kevin documents his fans and his shows. In that film a huge portion of his audience is white/non black, particularly when he shows his fans overseas.

I wouldn't consider Katt Williams audience the same in this regard because Chapelle's humor wasn't just targeted to black people/didn't just focus on black issues. Even on the Chapelle show you had bits like Tyrone Biggums, It's a Wonderful Chest, A moment in the life of Lil John, The Diarrhea song, Prince, etc... things that were just funny and had nothing to do with black issues. The same goes for Chapelle's comedy specials and routines, many of which were just dumb/silly jokes about everything from his balls to the Cheaters TV show, that just worked and attracted more than just black people to his shows and in great numbers. This is why I consider Kevin Hart in the same lane, except even more focused on the mass market because he doesn't "turn away" that audience like Paul Mooney or black comedians that are "too real" for the mass market.

Also Chapelle walked away from Comedy Central, not his audience. There was a bit he did on his 06 tour after the show was off the air where he would compare Comedy Central to Iceberg Slim and him being a ho who wanted to get away, but the pimp would keep tricking the ho into doing more tricks no matter how spent she was.

Slayven

D.L. Hughley is still out there ya'll

That reminds me. Gorillaz...is Arsenio Hall's struggle ass talk show still on at 1:00 on UPN?
DL got in trouble this week for being an asshole. Dude thinks he is smarter than he is
My cousin and I was having a conversation about this the other day. KH stole the whole "look at me I am the loud mouth fast talking black guy" niche from dude.

Somebody got to be the loud little man.

Slayven

The players club that made every hood stripper change thier stage name to diamond and thier motto became make the money dont let it make you? Yes, yes i have like all struggle movies he starred in Bernie Mac was the best thing about it.

The last 45 minutes of that movie should be stored in the Smithsonian for future generations. Lisa Ray whopped that chick's ass.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Why do all the best comedians die off early ? Not to be insensitive but Dave's career is dead so that puts him in same space to me.

The black audience is super hungry for a fresh and legit funny face.

KumaJG

Why do all the best comedians die off early ? Not to be insensitive but Dave's career is dead so that puts him in same space to me.

Hannibal Burress I think he is down right hilarious, same go for Ron Funches(saw him last month for his Comedy Central taping)

Silky

Banned

Hannibal Buress and to a lesser extent Eric Andre are pretty good

Fuck it. I should try my hand at being a stand up comic....

*remembers the DL Hughley Fresh Prince episode*

On second thought I don't know.

Hey we could always be like Mark Curry and Sinbad.....

Hannibal Buress is legit if you're looking for a black comedian. He doesn't do 'Black people this, white people that' stuff very much, I can't think of any of his bits that rely on him being black off the top of my head.

Slayven

Hannibal Buress is legit if you're looking for a black comedian. He doesn't do 'Black people this, white people that' stuff very much, I can't think of any of his bits that rely on him being black off the top of my head.

His last special was a bit off, but I blame that on him being busy with being on shows and shit.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Just finished watching all of Black Lagoon and it's instantly one of my faves. I'm the type of person that's very selective when it comes to anime, but Black Lagoon just clicked with me.

I'd kill for a open-world game with a Roanapur-like town and a Revy chick as the protagonist. That would be a day one buy for me. But knowing this industry it's not gonna happen.

Top Bottom