• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Gorillaz

I wanna learn how to cut my own hair

but I feel like if I fuck somewhere...like during the line up, I'm going to have to wear a hat for a month or not go outside or something.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

but I feel like if I fuck somewhere...like during the line up, I'm going to have to wear a hat for a month or not go outside or something.
I started when I was 18 and I'm 23 now. I'm not professional but I do well enough. And yes when you first start you will be shaving your head completely because of fuckups.

BHZ Mayor

Well. Memphis lost. Oh well. It's still FDH all the way.

On another note, I'm really wondering if these playoff games have been staged in a way. Not like predetermined wins, but like, ref calls, and certain teams maybe sandbagging to build up this whole "why can't I hold all these game 7s" narrative.

Kreed

Definitely saves money in the long run, although you will miss out on black barbershop conversation and bootleg movie sales.

Get a pair of clippers that allow you to adjust to different levels and/or have clipper guards and start with the highest level that way you won't cut too much. Work your way down to the lower level you want for your entire head (obviously don't do the lowest level unless you want to cut everything off). Once you've got the trim you want for your entire head, then you can move on to line ups and fades. It definitely helps if you have two mirrors so you can look at the front and the back of your head (medicine cabinets with a mirror on the door to the left/right of your bathroom mirror are great for this).

When I was first starting out and wasn't comfortable with line ups yet with the clippers (particularly the back of my head), I would use Magic Shave Cream (not the powder) to line my hair up after trimming down my overall head. This way all I had to do was put the cream on and "draw out" my line up and let the cream do the work for 10-20 minutes (I don't know why they put less than 10 minutes on the tube, it never works that quick).

royalan

^^My stepdad only used clipper to do an edge-up on other people. On himself he always used a razer. Always thought it was strange...

Slayven

A Derrick Simmons film. Starring Derrick Simmons. Written by Derrick Simmons. Directed by Derrick Simmons. Brother probably did the catering too.

What, Zoe Saldana is playing Rosemary in Rosemary's Baby? Does that count as a movie about an interracial couple, too?

A minority giving birth to the antichrist? Sounds like GOP fanfiction.

Kreed

^^My stepdad only used clipper to do an edge-up on other people. On himself he always used a razer. Always thought it was strange...

My dad used to cut my hair too when I was little to save money from time to time. One time he actually used a shaving razor to edge up the back of my head, after which I got razor bumps on the back of my neck. Now my dad should have known better, but myself and my mom didn't know what they were at the time since I was too young to shave. So we assumed it was a skin rash and went to the doctor. The doctor (not black) had no idea what they were either and gave me at least 4-5 different creams/ointments to put on them. It wasn't until we got in the car that my dad had an epiphany that "just maybe" there was a connection between the bumps and the razor.

hwalker84

Only time I've had a non-black barber was my first week of college, and I decided to try out a Supercuts, and let some white dude cut it. Shit was like 9/11 for my hair, never again.

I live south of Pittsburgh and used to drive into the city to get my hair cut. One time I was feeling lazy and went to the local white barbershop. I asked for a bald cut to make it easier on him. He still f'ed it up and I had to finish it at home.

White barbers in the hood are fine in my experience.

Finally found a spot I can trust not to far from my house.

wingedkraby

Neo Member
I just go to the shop down the street, known the guys in there for years.

Whenever that's not an option, my dad usually is good to give me a shape/edge up.

If my line is off I use a razor to correct it a bit, takes practice though.

J10

Banned
I'm lucky I guess. My natural hairline is straight and I just use the 1/16 inch comb attachment on the clippers and shave it all off once or twice a month. I don't remember the last time I paid for a cut.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Next time I get a free day I'm gonna have to write another story about my experience in this house and how I've watched what I thought was a friend reveal himself as a bitch, fraud, and somebody's future come up.

RedSwirl

My barber actually got a new shop slightly closer to me. All dressed up with flatscreens. It's still like 35 minutes instead of 45 minutes though
if I speed

My dad used to fix up my fade but he would take like four hours. A line-up still takes him 20 minutes.

On that subject, I still don't know when I want to go back to a fade (that's not military like my dad's). I can't afford to get it shaped up every other week until I start working. Main reason I got a small fro' today is because I only need a shape-up once a month.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't know why dudes try it with bouncers. Saw a guy that looked like he caught a tyrant rave to the face, then put in a headlock (looked like that work put him to sleep), dragged down some stairs, and finally thrown out of the bar and into what I imagine to be the bushes.

DominoKid

when folks clamored for black women on SNL i don't think they really thought about what it would be like in reality.

check out this skit.
black twitter is mad obviously but it sounds like your average Comic View set to me, just in front of white people which makes it a problem.

and it aint like Sasheer is killing it either...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
when folks clamored for black women on SNL i don't think they really thought about what it would be like in reality.

check out this skit.
black twitter is mad obviously but it sounds like your average Comic View set to me, just in front of white people which makes it a problem.

and it aint like Sasheer is killing it either...

SNL has fallen the fuck off in the last couple of years but that was just plain shitty

Had a pretty heated argument with a friend of mine, BlackGAF(and Kaep I guess)...wonder how ya'll feel about it. Its the kind of hot topic that really divides people, and I know we got a tight-knit community around here, so I hope this doesn't disrupt that, but I just gotta know...

Pancakes or Waffles?

Kreed

Had a pretty heated argument with a friend of mine, BlackGAF(and Kaep I guess)...wonder how ya'll feel about it. Its the kind of hot topic that really divides people, and I know we got a tight-knit community around here, so I hope this doesn't disrupt that, but I just gotta know...

Pancakes or Waffles?

Waffles. Chicken and Waffles. Waffle Houses at 4am. No contest.

DominoKid

given a choice i will always get pancakes.

BmzYLpdCMAAXC6-.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Grow dreads brehs!

I actually have enough hair for it but I've never been to a salon. I was also having a hard time finding one on Craigslist with prices that wasn't crazy. Thinking of just going ahead and getting it cut but I spent all that time growing it out.

Waffles

Pancakes or Waffles?

Waffles.

French Toast>Both tho.

Pancakes or Waffles?

Waffles all day. Especially Belgian.

Waffles.

French Toast>Both tho.

7VBqlt0.png

Top Bottom