• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

I need to take a vacation in Africa, ya know, just to make sure it isn't a giant desert filled with lions. Just to make sure it's real.

edit: On a serious note. Has any here been to Africa? I have no idea where I would go if I had the opportunity. Cape Town is pretty popular right? Maybe Accra.

I need to take a vacation in Africa, ya know, just to make sure it isn't a giant desert filled with lions. Just to make sure it's real.

edit: On a serious note. Has any here been to Africa? I have no idea where I would go if I had the opportunity. Cape Town is pretty popular right? Maybe Accra.

I believe Raven lives in South Africa.

EDIT: I want to go to Johannesburg.

I just woke up to bullshit. My love affair with Nina is well documented. That Zoe casting is a fucking travesty. But I just want justice to the Simone family. That's it. So if she can pull it off awesome. If not then.....

I saw that DreamWorks thread. What in the flying fuck the shit that spews out of mouths.

BHZ Mayor

In that thread in which the home owner executed those two teens for breaking in, I simply stated "Some of you are sociopaths".

Insulting members and driveby posting. Lesson learned.

Tangent: Anyone who uses chrome and tries to edit their post notice...it takes forever? (granted you can simply refresh and the changes take effect regardless).

I have that problem on Chrome and IE (work). I just hit "Go Advanced" and save from there.

cdyhybrid

In that thread in which the home owner executed those two teens for breaking in, I simply stated "Some of you are sociopaths".

Insulting members and driveby posting. Lesson learned.

Tangent: Anyone who uses chrome and tries to edit their post notice...it takes forever? (granted you can simply refresh and the changes take effect regardless).

Yeah, happens to me on Chrome too. I just refresh it.

I just woke up to bullshit. My love affair with Nina is well documented. That Zoe casting is a fucking travesty. But I just want justice to the Simone family. That's it. So if she can pull it off awesome. If not then.....

I saw that DreamWorks thread. What in the flying fuck the shit that spews out of mouths.

Ultimately her Nina is going to come down to her voice. Nina's is so distinct that I could tell it apart from almost anyones.

Kreed

BnrxTDACAAEh4CN.jpg

Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone

why

Imm0rt4l, you still reppin that defense force flag?

Gorillaz

So Esco yall got a new far cry huh
ambrose.png

Hope your boys make a better story this time around compared to whatever the hell FC3 was , shit made me do a double take a few times over what exactly they were trying to say
lV2kE.png

also welcome back AE

harSon

Banned

I've been there a ton. Egypt (Alexandria), Nigeria (Abuja and Lagos), Etheopia (Addis Abba and Gondar), Kenya (Nairobi), South Africa (Cape Town, Johannesburgh, Pretoria, Port Elizabeth).

Cape Town is definitely pretty awesome. I'd definitely recommend it over Johannesburg. Johannesburg is kind of just your typical big city, and there's honestly not that much to do there. A flight to South Africa is expensive as fuck though.

Got out the pen this morning man. I've missed much.

Not even posting in the Dreamworks thread, I'll just say this here as an Afro-Dominican (far removed from Dominican really, my spanish is ass). DR is like the absolute worst country in the western hemisphere in regards to racial identity. Makes Brazil look like a utopia; An absolute huge swatch of the DR population are most likely of African or Haitan descent not even that far back (Euro Spaniards (read: white) are a minority). Vast majority of DR will identify as mixed regardless (unless you're white then you're at the top of the casta system) because of government oppression back in the day and even now.

So the idea that a person who is half Dominican/half black is far removed from a "black" person is dumb.

I was in the Dr a few years ago and went to this lil restaurant and sat there for like 30 minutes and they didnt serve me. So I go up to the manager and said, "Can I please be served"? and she said "Dominicano"? and I said, "No, Americano" and then they fell all over themselves to help me. They are really color struck down there but I still had a great time and people were all cool and whatnot.

I was in the Dr a few years ago and went to this lil restaurant and sat there for like 30 minutes and they didnt serve me. So I go up to the manager and said, "Can I please be served"? and she said "Dominicano"? and I said, "No, Americano" and then they fell all over themselves to help me. They are really color struck down there but I still had a great time and people were all cool and whatnot.

Oh yea don't get me wrong DR is nice to visit, but I couldn't live there. As Zoe stated (can't believe I'm about to paraphrase her). If you identify as black in the DR and you're not rich/celebrity you're going to have a very fucking hard time. Once you become rich/famous then you can identify as anything.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Funny what you find when you Google around for your username.

"Truly the end of an era. First magazine and exposure to gaming culture I ever experienced. This is what I grew up with," said a gamer named Jackben on the NeoGAF gaming forum. "It's been years since I subscribed but I remember actually being excited to check the mail hoping to find the new issue."

Also funny how much mainstream press pulls information from GAF. Wouldn't be surprised if the author of that article found out the news from the thread here.

I do miss Nintendo Power =(

Top Bottom