• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Does it seem like it's becoming increasingly common for black people (attractive women or successful men in particular) to be told that they're not really black but "this, this and this"? I know we have a history of doing that to ourselves with colorism, but looks like it's going mainstream.

Not sure I've ever seen any person told that they're not Irish because their paternal grandmother is German. At least not in the States.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
tumblr_n5bpxrNJsJ1qmwidzo1_400.gif

punched my mans highwaters into boot cuts

Does it seem like it's becoming increasingly common for black people (attractive women or successful men in particular) to be told that they're not really black but "this, this and this"? I know we have a history of doing that to ourselves with colorism, but looks like it's going mainstream.

Not sure I've ever seen any person told that they're not Irish because their paternal grandmother is German. At least not in the States.

How do you mean? Like "you're not really black; you're German and Italian"? Or like "you're Carribean black"? Or something else entirely?

Infinite

Only started noticing this on neogaf dot com tbh despite experiencing colorism otherwise growing up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It's mental gymnastics to allow themselves to like a black person without associating them with what they think about black people.

How do you mean? Like "you're not really black; you're German and Italian"? Or like "you're Carribean black"? Or something else entirely?

Obama's not black, "insert starlet I find attractive" is not black.. etc.

Only started noticing this on neogaf dot com tbh despite experiencing colorism otherwise growing up.
I first started noticing it broadly with, "you know Obama is half white, right?"

It's mental gymnastics to allow themselves to like a black person without associating them with what they think about black people.

That's what it feels like. To sap away positives from blackness.

Who's your favorite basketball player?

ReiGun

So #feministbooty is trending. I don't even know anymore brehs.

I came in on the tail end of this. The feminists I follow stayed out for the most part while some dudes had their jimmies quite rustled.

I'm still not entirely sure what the hashtag was even about.

It's really complicated.

I've been told I'm not really Mexican cause I don't speak spanish. I've heard similar things about German Americans who don't speak German or have any connection to the culture by Germans from Germany. Saying someone is or isn't X seems like it goes back to that person lacking some sort of cultural connection (customs or language etc) that someone from that culture deems important. But that's when the critique comes from someone else who is apart of that culture.

Like you're saying, most the times I've heard about someone being told they're 'not really black' is a backhanded compliment from white friends or associates. And on gaf 'not really black' gets tagged onto women they find attractive sometimes.

Its just 'you're not confirming my racist views on your people and/or culture' so instead of re-calibrating and losing some BS from their perspective. They create a new category 'the good ones' the ones that aren't like 'them'.

I came in on the tail end of this. The feminists I follow stayed out for the most part while some dudes had their jimmies quite rustled.

I'm still not entirely sure what the hashtag was even about.

I'd guess body positivity, but all of the pictures appear to be of conventionally attractive women.

I mean, probably still body positivity, buttttt....

It's really complicated.

I've been told I'm not really Mexican cause I don't speak spanish. I've heard similar things about German Americans who don't speak German or have any connection to the culture by Germans from Germany. Saying someone is or isn't X seems like it goes back to that person lacking some sort of cultural connection (customs or language etc) that someone from that culture deems important. But that's when the critique comes from someone else who is apart of that culture.

Like you're saying, most the times I've heard about someone being told they're 'not really black' is a backhanded compliment from white friends or associates. And on gaf 'not really black' gets tagged onto women they find attractive sometimes.

Its just 'you're not confirming my racist views on your people and/or culture' so instead of re-calibrating and losing some BS from their perspective. They create a new category 'the good ones' the ones that aren't like 'them'.

Yeah, that's my feeling from it. I guess I have heard friends have arguments about who is and who isn't Irish, but like you're saying, it's usually based on culture or cultural abandonment. But not being black is usually used as a good thing.

Infinite

Yeah, that's my feeling from it. I guess I have heard friends have arguments about who is and who isn't Irish, but like you're saying, it's usually based on culture or cultural abandonment. But not being black is usually used as a good thing.

Now that I think about it someone straight up told my girlfriend that "I think of you as light skinned or mixed, not really black". The crazy thing is both of her parents are black.

harSon

Banned

The first high school I went to in San Jose, CA had "continents/countries" like Africa (where all the black people were), Asia (All of the Asians), Europe (All of the White people), Mexico (all of the hispanics) and the United States (a mixture) . Shit was segregated as fuck. It was even tolerated by the school, and endorsed, considering the first Friday of every month was "mix it up day" where the school encouraged you to immigrate to another country.

Kreed

"You're supposed to be a delicate white or a delicate Latina girl."

Welcome back. Delete that folder of comic book males in speedos off your hard drive.

andthebeatgoeson

Interesting.

West Virginia is the most integrated state across the board. The share of black students in majority-white schools is incredibly high — 92.6 percent. No black students attend schools where the minority population is above 90 percent and exposure of black students to white students is the highest in the nation
Not sure if serious.

I live in a decent part of town (Decatur, GA) with good schools. There is even self segregation. Not sure of the cause but when I checked out the demographics of the town vs the school population, our people represented more of the school population than the town. I interpreted that to mean more majority students utilizing private schools. GA schools are notoriously bad but the local public schools are fairly decent. I would assume people would take advantage.

Either way, as a Dad and a homeowner, you've got to pay attention to these things more and more. So many factors at play.

And to think that segregation doesn't happen in certain states just down plays it. We are no where near being a post racial society. Boston is one of the worst cities in this regard. So the title was silly to me.

RedSwirl

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think it goes that far. Not consciously anyway.

A lot of people just don't really know what defines "black." A lot of people see it as "both their parents are black," or "all their known ancestors and relatives are black." Often in the mainstream's eyes it has to be 100%.

...and they also have to "act" black of course.

Infinite

Maybe I'm not naive but I don't think it goes that far. Not consciously anyway.

A lot of people just don't really know what defines "black." A lot of people see it as "both their parents are black," or "all their known ancestors and relatives are black." Often in the mainstream's eyes it has to be 100%.

...and they also have to "act" black of course.

Yeah not consciously, for some.

Top Bottom