• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

ReiGun

Can't talk about diversity in some games because "it's just plumbers and dinosaurs and dumb stuff." Can't talk about diversity in other games because "there's story reasons why it isn't diverse. Can't you see?" So when the fuck can we talk about it?

I don't know why, but that Mario Kart thread on gaming side struck a nerve with me. I'm not even the type to complain about threads on Gaf in here normally, and I'm in just in a bad mood in general, but the lengths people go to get angry about nothing...to get angry about people wanting to see more of themselves in the media they fucking pay to consume...ughhhh.

DominoKid

CW Flash is winning.
tumblr_n2kcrtfJRG1rjc04ko4_400.gif

is she really black tho
lV2kE.png

Spinluck

Wait, what happened in the Mario Kart 8 thread? How did that turn into a race thread? Just curious. (no pun intended).

CW Flash is winning.
tumblr_n2kcrtfJRG1rjc04ko4_400.gif

is she really black tho
lV2kE.png

Hmm, looks part Asian to me, maybe Filipino or Taiwanese .

DEFINITELY MIXED. SORRY BLACK WOMEN, YOU CAN'T LOOK GOOD.

ReiGun

I honestly surprised they made Iris black....

Surprised I haven't seen any backlash either..or I'm not looking in the right areas

There were a couple of people, but it really didn't make a splash cause - let's face it - no one is taking up banners for the poor man's Lois Lane.

Now when black Wally debuts? Shit's gonna get real.

Wait, what happened in the Mario Kart 8 thread? How did that turn into a race thread? Just curious. (no pun intended).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819733

A review of Mario Kart included a single paragraph wishing there was more diversity among the cast. Jimmies got rustled.

BHZ Mayor

Can't talk about diversity in some games because "it's just plumbers and dinosaurs and dumb stuff." Can't talk about diversity in other games because "there's story reasons why it isn't diverse. Can't you see?" So when the fuck can we talk about it?

I don't know why, but that Mario Kart thread on gaming side struck a nerve with me. I'm not even the type to complain about threads on Gaf in here normally, and I'm in just in a bad mood in general, but the lengths people go to get angry about nothing...to get angry about people wanting to see more of themselves in the media they fucking pay to consume...ughhhh.

I don't know why, but that Mario Kart topic feels...not genuine, like I'm getting the vibe that review pointed it out not of actual concern, but solely because it's the hot-button issue at the moment. Maybe it's because of that stupid Far Cry thread.

Suggesting using a Mii as a solution though is absolutely fucking dumb. Even if that did somehow "count", one character out of thirty years of nothing but white characters doesn't magically equal "problem solved". And I can't even begin to understand a thought process that would even lead to thinking that. Like, it's just so fucking remedial to think that a single personalized character makes up for a lack of official characters of color.

There were a couple of people, but it really didn't make a splash cause - let's face it - no one is taking up banners for the poor man's Lois Lane.

Now when black Wally debuts? Shit's gonna get real.

You mean in the show right because he's already in the comics.

ReiGun

I don't know why, but that Mario Kart topic feels...not genuine, like I'm getting the vibe that review pointed it out not of actual concern, but solely because it's the hot-button issue at the moment. Maybe it's because of that stupid Far Cry thread.

Suggesting using a Mii as a solution though is absolutely fucking dumb. Even if that did somehow "count", one character out of thirty years of nothing but white characters doesn't magically equal "problem solved". And I can't even begin to understand a thought process that would even lead to thinking that. Like, it's just so fucking remedial to think that a single personalized character makes up for a lack of official characters of color.

I can see that, but it's such an innocuous part of the review that it's hard to read intent. It could be that it's just something the reviewer noticed as he was playing this game. It didn't even detract from his enjoyment that much as the review is mostly glowing.

It's the way everyone gets immediately angry at even the suggestion of adding diversity that kills me. Like, the review is minimal in the face of that. And the deflection that we can literally never have the conversation because "this isn't the game to have that battle" is just so fucking dense and transparent in its desire to maintain the status quo.

And yeah, using Mii's is a weak as hell defense. Nintendo doesn't have to make the game more diverse cause I just shove myself into it. Yay!

You mean in the show right because he's already in the comics.
Yeah in the show. Even though the comic already had a mini blow up, but I think people aren't really going to flip until they see the first (and currently only) live action Wally is black.

BnrxTDACAAEh4CN.jpg

Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone

why

*facepalm*

I can understand wanting to push limits in your craft, but whomever told her that she should play Nina Simone should be slapped. As has already been said, the theme of Nina Simone's life is a BLACK, AFRICAN-FEATURED woman rising and succeeding despite all the prejudice against her in a time when being that dark and having a nose that big were strikes against her and many other women.

Zoe Saldana is a good actress. She's also the new Halle Berry. And she should not be playing Nina Simone.

*facepalm*

I can understand wanting to push limits in your craft, but whomever told her that she should play Nina Simone should be slapped. As has already been said, the theme of Nina Simone's life is a BLACK, AFRICAN-FEATURED woman rising and succeeding despite all the prejudice against her in a time when being that dark and having a nose that big were strikes against her and many other women.

Zoe Saldana is a good actress. She's also the new Halle Berry. And she should not be playing Nina Simone.

She only got the role cause elisha cuthbert was busy.

BHZ Mayor

It's the way everyone gets immediately angry at even the suggestion of adding diversity that kills me. Like, the review is minimal in the face of that. And the deflection that we can literally never have the conversation because "this isn't the game to have that battle" is just so fucking dense and transparent in its desire to maintain the status quo.

If you think about it, it's really a similar mentality to the "diversity = white genocide" thought process.

Spinluck

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819733

A review of Mario Kart included a single paragraph wishing there was more diversity among the cast. Jimmies got rustled.

Yup, that'll do it lol. I want other journalist to start doing this now. Reactions will be great, should shake some people.

The fuck? You tellin' me Bowser isn't
Piccolo
black?

Stay losing Nintendo, maybe they'll get around to playing the GOAT Kart racer.

IuUKU8z.png

SEGA still doing what Nintendont!

I don't like that MK8 thread because the complaint feels a little tongue in cheek, but the posters are in there saying shit that they know better than to say in the threads where people levy legitimate complaints about representation of women and minorities.

Like they're taking the opportunity to vent all the things that would get them banned otherwise in threads about real issues. The threads where they feel roughly the same way but don't post or walk on eggshells when they do post to dismiss the complaints without outright saying the things they're saying in that MK8 thread.

J10

Banned
I don't like that MK8 thread because the complaint feels a little tongue in cheek, but the posters are in there saying shit that they know better than to say in the threads where people levy legitimate complaints about representation of women and minorities.

Like they're taking the opportunity to vent all the things that would get them banned otherwise in threads about real issues. The threads where they feel roughly the same way but don't post or walk on eggshells when they do post to dismiss the complaints without outright saying the things they're saying in that MK8 thread.

DING FUCKING DING FUCKING DING

One dude just blatantly said "This shit needs to stop." Oh really now, does it?

BHZ Mayor

This is why I don't normally post in those threads. I'm this close to just not giving a fuck and just call people fucking idiots, but I like being able to post, so I won't.

ReiGun

Right. Like the fact that it's Mario Kart gives them a pass or something or makes the arguments less stupid.

I love that you point out Shadow instead of Knuckles
We don't claim Shadow and you know this.

Knuckles, tho? Mr. Pumpkin Hill himself? He's a brother and no one can say otherwise.

Crocodile

The Mario Kart example is weird. Not once in my however many years of playing Mario or Mario Kart games have I felt excluded or underrepresented. "Where the Black people at" was never a thought that crossed my mind so I find it weird that it did cross the author's mind. I do agree with the general thought that Nintendo could do better with regards to diversity across all their IPs (that don't include exclusively talking animals). At the same time, while I think its good and fair to critique Nintendo in that respect, they are probably one of the Japanese developers who have been the best at addressing diversity. Pokemon X/Y has got to be one of the most ethnically diverse games out of Japan I can remember ever playing. Again, they could do better. But they have done really well in a few spots in this regard.

All that being said, I kind of agree with what Reigun is saying. The amount of anger some people seem to be expressing is WAY disproportionate with the actual stimulus. "FUCK THIS KIND OF CONVERSATION" (among other statements) is taking it too far. I assume the Far Cry Thread made people super on edge?

Speaking on the Far Cry thread, I definitely see the racial implications of the art (but without any more context I hesitate to say its problematic other than the fact that the narrative of the game may play into "Mighty Whitey" tropes) but am I the only one who didn't assume the villian-esque character was gay (or even white - he looks somewhat East Asian to me)? Just from my recollection of what that OP has posted in some other threads (and further posts he made in that thread) I'm not sure I can take his critiques at face value. It honestly comes off a bit like the SJW strawman that likes to be thrown around in other threads. Not to say the "other side" didn't also say dumb shit in that thread - just that I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of the things that specific poster posts.

On a final note.........how the fuck did that Dreamworks thread about that new movie get so horribly derailed SO FAST? Like what in the world are some people even saying in there? I'm so confused :(

At least we got our own village.

ninjas_of_kumogakure__somethings__by_nelsonediazn-d5hphbz.png

One more note on the topic of Japan, what is with the trope of them not giving giving dark-skinned people dark colored hair? I know some of those characters are supposed to be tanned but like in this Naruto example, most of these characters aren't tanned Asians or Causasions based on their facial features yet they have white hair? Weird.

Top Bottom