• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Sorry but Mario Kart is the last damn place i'm expecting the advancement of representation of minorities in gaming.

Mario Kart.
Nope.

The discussion is there to be had. I'd prefer we do it in serious instances.

The world of Mario is so grounded in absurd fantasy.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
In the main Mario titles? Sure. Hell, make Mario and Luigi have to be saved by a black/latino princess.

In Kart? She'll just be yet another player in a roster of characters broken down into their acceleration, top speed and drifting stats.

You know what they say about picking your battles...

I kinda want to see the Mario character they make, just to see how mad people will get at the exaggerated features. Big lips, or perhaps an afro

that's only because Yamato died :(

Ignoring that Yamato was kind of garbo, did he actually die? Thought he's just been mia at the tree or whatever.

Sorry but Mario Kart is the last damn place i'm expecting the advancement of representation of minorities in gaming.

Mario Kart.
Nope.

Where only white people exist?

J10

Banned

Mario Kart.
Nope.

The thing that stands out is the incredible amount of pushback against a single paragraph of text in a seven paragraph review. The mere presence of the word diversity sparked a 20 page thread.

ReiGun

But my whole thing is there was no battle until Gaf turned it into one. It was one paragraph in a review that otherwise really enjoyed the game.

Even if I concede that Mario Kart isn't the best example, that attitude of "Don't ever talk about this" that exists in that thread pops up in literally every discussion about this. We can't save it for "serious instances" because the goal posts for serious instances moves constantly due to people being incapable of discussing things without catching feelings.

The thing that stands out is the incredible amount of pushback against a single paragraph of text in a seven paragraph review. The mere presence of the word diversity sparked a 20 page thread.
Right. This is less about Mario Kart and more about why we can't ask for more diversity in gaming in even the most harmless of instances.

BHZ Mayor

But my whole thing is there was no battle until Gaf turned it into one. It was one paragraph in a review that otherwise really enjoyed the game.

Even if I concede that Mario Kart isn't the best example, that attitude of "Don't ever talk about this" that exists in that thread pops up in literally every discussion about this. We can't save it for "serious instances" because the goal posts for serious instances moves constantly due to people being incapable of discussing things without catching feelings.

Yep, the frustration is really more about the mentality period than just this particular game.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

The mushroom kingdom could use some colour for sure. But a mario kart review is not where i'd start the call for that. Hell, Mario Kart isn't the game to start it. In my opinion.

Again, there are serious discussions to be had on this. One line in a review, blown up on GAF isn't how it should begin.

The mushroom kingdom could use some colour for sure. But a mario kart review is not where i'd start the call for that. Hell, Mario Kart isn't the game to start it. In my opinion.

Again, there are serious discussions to be had on this. One line in a review, blown up on GAF isn't how it should begin.

This is how I feel about it.

And mind you, it's not even wrong to talk about it...but Mario just seems to be an awkward place for this sort of thing to me.

Infinite

Right. This is less about Mario Kart and more about why we can't ask for more diversity in gaming in even the most harmless of instances.

I understand. The fact that you can't talk about diversity ever in regard to video games is way more troubling than someone asking for diversity in mario in an otherwise stellar review for it

On a final note.........how the fuck did that Dreamworks thread about that new movie get so horribly derailed SO FAST? Like what in the world are some people even saying in there? I'm so confused :(

It was Bloodrage saying "I like her hair. Confirms she's mixed, not black."

And it just went downhill from there, with additional comments from Measley.

Yeah, that's legit. Just annoying that people are more offended that someone brought it up than the fact that it's true.

J10

Banned

But you know it's not where the discussion began though. It's merely today's instance.

ReiGun

I understand. The fact that you can't talk about diversity ever in regard to video games is way more troubling than someone asking for diversity in mario in an otherwise stellar review for it

Right.

I wish it weren't a Mario Kart review that sparked the discussion because the choice of game is distracting from the larger points. But then, I don't think any one game is going to be the right one because it will get explained away and met with the same attitudes no matter what. As far as the community is concerned, it's never the right time.

Crocodile

Humans, period, are a minority species in the Mario universe. Outside the main Mario games, a Goomba is just as much a person as is Toad or Mario himself. Outside of like the human characters in Mario Kart and Pauline who else is there? That's probably slowing the intake of color into the Mario universe. That being said, there are other places beside the Mushroom Kingdom. Like what's going on back in Daisy's hometown?

It was Bloodrage saying "I like her hair. Confirms she's mixed, not black."

And it just went downhill from there, with additional comments from Measley.

Oh no, I understand how it happened. I just don't understand "how" it happened if you catch my drift.

Im reading through this thread, and my god we are having a serious discussion about diversity in a Mario Kart title. God damn I love yall sometimes.

And brother Slayven, welcome back you were missed.

i wonder how many people didn't even care but just had to pop in merely because so many people were so vehemently opposed to the mere mention of diversity. i also still want to know if Peach is the same species as Toad/Toadette.

J10

Banned
Im reading through this thread, and my god we are having a serious discussion about diversity in a Mario Kart title. God damn I love yall sometimes.

And brother Slayven, welcome back you were missed.

No, we're not having a serious discussion. We're merely begging for token representation because we like annoying white people.

Silky

Banned
Mario isn't the first game that comes to my mind that needs more inclusion. Especially considering there are only ~10 white people in the Mushroom Kingdom alone. The rest of the world of Mario are exotic species.

Another story for another day, though.

jmood88

i wonder how many people didn't even care but just had to pop in merely because so many people were so vehemently opposed to the mere mention of diversity. i also still want to know if Peach is the same species as Toad/Toadette.

That's why I posted in the thread. I don't give a damn about Mario N Friends but the "we don't need to talk about race in games" attitude in that and almost every thread on the topic is annoying as hell.

ReiGun

That's why I posted in the thread. I don't give a damn about Mario N Friends but the "we don't need to talk about race in games" attitude in that and almost every thread on the topic is annoying as hell.

Same. I don't care if they never add a person of color to a Mario game. It's the mentality that kills me.

Don't need to talk about anything ever revolving around consistently ignoring underrepresented groups.

Mario Kart.
Nope.

In the main Mario titles? Sure. Hell, make Mario and Luigi have to be saved by a black/latino princess.

In Kart? She'll just be yet another player in a roster of characters broken down into their acceleration, top speed and drifting stats.

You know what they say about picking your battles...

Agreed. Which is why I saw that thread and avoided making any posts.

Mario Kart is an assemble game that is supposed to be the All star game of the Mario universe.

The problem is not in the assemble game, but rather the universe that they're picking characters from.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Godzilla was dope. Fans of the old films are gonna hate it though.

I was dieing laughing when the Deliver Us From Evil trailer came on and the parents with their kids had the wtf reactions.

Spinluck

I mean,
did it really?

Felt like he was the only character that gave a shit lol.

Showed emotion, motivation, grieved, and was smarter than everyone in the movie. He was the only character that I was able to sort of get behind. His son was as plain as plank though lol.

Trey

Felt like he was the only character that gave a shit lol.

Showed emotion, motivation, grieved, and was smarter than everyone in the movie. He was the only character that I was able to sort of get behind. His son was as plain as plank though lol.

Cranston basically played Walter White in this movie, this is true.

Slayven

G1 Transformers was horrible. Watched a random episode the other day, when confronted with proof that the Decepticons were doing dirt, he told Cosmo that it doesn't mean they are doing anything. No wonder Cosmo stayed in space, I would too.

Top Bottom