• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Nope, not saying anything without context. But I'm sure plenty of people will have something to say (besides Macklemore).

You're not getting the context benefit of the doubt on Twitter. Especially when you're not even close to hitting the 140 character limit. Which is why people shouldn't be making vague ass statements on a site like that.

Kreed

You're not getting the context benefit of the doubt on Twitter. Especially when you're not even close to hitting the 140 character limit. Which is why people shouldn't be making vague ass statements on a site like that.

I'll agree with you (especially on the bolded), but knowing Nas he is waiting for enough buzz around his statement before throwing out the context in a radio/online interview.

I'll agree with you (especially on the bolded), but knowing Nas he is waiting for enough buzz around his statement before throwing out the context in a radio/online interview.

I don't think what he'll say later will even matter. The statement is way too inflammatory. Even if he makes a point that makes the slightest bit of sense, nobody that's upset will care.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People like freenudemacusers is one thing, but I'm thinking more of our blatant MRA/backwoods racism crowd.

freenudemacusers is one of my favorite people

One thing I've been wondering lately-are there some posters that are "protected?" Like, even though they almost never have anything intelligent, interesting, or even funny to say, the most they catch is temp bans. Are they kept around to "spice things up?"

Sounds like me :(

Kreed

You mean desperately trying to stay relevant?

This is the guy who said Hip Hop Is Dead and tried to name his album Nigger, so I wouldn't put it past him.

People like freenudemacusers is one thing, but I'm thinking more of our blatant MRA/backwoods racism crowd.

It depends on the mod for those folks IMO. Bish/Mumei do a good job of getting rid of them when we point them out in here, but they can't be everywhere.

K, after I get done writing this paper tonight I guess I need to return to that community college thread and discuss complicated matters of race with someone who equates a minority community building happy hour with a blacks only prom.

I keep forgetting how much of this community is filled with entitled man babies who flip their shit when a game is delayed.

IByakuya and the video have definitely changed my thinking on this. I think it's fair for creating that kind of "safe space" to discuss issues related to racism or incidents involving race on campus. But, as everyone involved has said, they really should have worded the whole thing very differently and they would have gotten a different outcome.

Awe yea. We did, we did it. But skiptastic is reasonable anyway, so he wasn't who I had in mind. Glad I changed his thinking, though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
K, after I get done writing this paper tonight I guess I need to return to that community college thread and discuss complicated matters of race with someone who equates a minority community building happy hour with a blacks only prom.

I keep forgetting how much of this community is filled with entitled man babies who flip their shit when a game is delayed.

Awe yea. We did, we did it. But skiptastic is reasonable anyway, so he wasn't who I had in mind. Glad I changed his thinking, though.

I never really noticed your tag until today and it's fantastic.

Mumei

One thing I've been wondering lately-are there some posters that are "protected?" Like, even though they almost never have anything intelligent, interesting, or even funny to say, the most they catch is temp bans. Are they kept around to "spice things up?"

God, no.

And people like that do get permed; go back and look through threads about racism or sexism created between, say, 2011 and 2013 and you'll find a lot of people you haven't seen around in awhile. It just tends to happen after a number of bans, especially if the bans are unrelated or are pretty minor stuff (e.g. thread whining / getting into a snippy argument with another poster that goes a bit too far). And sometimes we miss posts that might get someone banned sooner; I don't read every post even in threads I post in. I always appreciate PMs, even if there isn't anything bannable quite yet.

If you do send me a PM, though, please mention names, link to particular posts that bothered you; something. Don't just cold-link me to a 10 page topic. It's a pain.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God, no.

And people like that do get permed; go back and look through threads about racism or sexism created between, say, 2011 and 2013 and you'll find a lot of people you haven't seen around in awhile. It just tends to happen after a number of bans, especially if the bans are unrelated or are pretty minor stuff (e.g. thread whining / getting into a snippy argument with another poster that goes a bit too far). And sometimes we miss posts that might get someone banned sooner; I don't read every post even in threads I post in. I always appreciate PMs, even if there isn't anything bannable quite yet.

If you do send me a PM, though, please mention names, link to particular posts that bothered you; something. Don't just cold-link me to a 10 page topic. It's a pain.

I'm just glad you agree about the muscle shaming problem. Glad you're on Team Protein.

God, no.

Thank you for the answer, that's definitely reassuring. I do realize that every mod can't catch everything, and I do appreciate the efforts taken to keep conversation as something worth having.

Gorillaz

SNL already did it

But Lorne Michaels is a racist turd so that's not surprising in the least. I haven't watched SNL regularly for probably 6 years now.

it's interesting because from what I heard he doesn't really scout black comedians that much and Eddie just happened to have started during Lorne's off seasons. One of there biggest comics to come out of the show lol

I wonder if he would have gotten the push if Lorne was there

Imm0rt4l

Nas, what?

"And y'all buy the shit, caught up in the hype
Cause the nigga wear a kufi, it don't mean that he bright
Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
It just means you don't understand all the bullshit that he write"

I don't know. He followed that tweet up immediately with this one:
6AnKGX3.png
Nas created the archetype for smart dumb niggas, but without context im guessing he's saying that feminists stay mobbin deep? Kinda like Hollywood with the velvet mafia.

J10

Banned
I don't understand how you guys keep up with all this.

I'm still drained from that "Mexican party" thread last week.

I'm out of shape. Got no racism endurance. While yall running marathons

I know the feeling. I mentally checked out of those discussions even before I joined NeoGAF. I've never once been able to change anyone's mind on issues of race, gender, or sexual bigotry. When I couldn't even convince some relatives and lifelong friends, people I would think would be the most open to what I'm trying to get across, I was just like fuck it, why bother. Maybe I'm just bad at it, but either way, I don't have it in me to try anymore.

I know the feeling. I mentally checked out of those discussions even before I joined NeoGAF. I've never once been able to change anyone's mind on issues of race, gender, or sexual bigotry. When I couldn't even convince some relatives and lifelong friends, people I would think would be the most open to what I'm trying to get across, I was just like fuck it, why bother. Maybe I'm just bad at it, but either way, I don't have it in me to try anymore.

For me, it's not even about changing minds. If people are willing to put themselves out there, I'm willing to inject the ether into their veins. If some scales fall in the process, so much the better.

Slayven

Why we keep doing it? For me if I can get one person see something differently or just my side of things then I felt like I accomplished something. Each one teach one.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I don't understand how you guys keep up with all this.

I'm still drained from that "Mexican party" thread last week.

I'm out of shape. Got no racism endurance. While yall running marathons

You ain't the only one. It seems like we being hit full throttle with a lot of these threads now.

I'm having a look around but I've got nothing to add without feeling like it's going in circles. Lawd.

Top Bottom