• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

DominoKid

He did, it was the original influence for X-Men; with the holocaust being used as the backdrop of "this could happen again".

Honestly Marvel comics got me more interested in reading in general than Goosebumps and crime novels I became a fan of as kid…or I could just like reading regardless. I have no clue, all I know is as a kid Marvel comics resonated with me much more than DC comics.

Goosebumps & Fear Street books had me hooked as a youngin.

Yea I was hooked on Goosebumps, I was already reading them in first grade. The first "real" novel I ever tackled was The Death and Life of Superman, I know my brother wasn't that old so I had to have read it around 10-11ish. I read that shit in a day. My mom couldn't take that book away from me.

Gorillaz

Goosebumps was the book that got me really started regarding reading. I was hooked on that.

RL Stine actually spoke at my Graduation too. Had a nice and straight to the point speech too.

When he passed and O&A had all the comedians calling in, one called in. I can't remember who, but he talked about how he had a chance to talk to a Comedy Central executive about getting a show. To pitch his show. And the guys said that all Patrice did for 95% of the conversation was pound into the executive about how awful he was for putting Mind of Mencia on their network. And then he pitched his show at the last 5 minutes.

This is where Chris talks about Patrice and his business attitude.

Damn, but yea MoM was shit tho so I can see where he is coming from

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
He did, it was the original influence for X-Men; with the holocaust being used as the backdrop of "this could happen again".

Honestly Marvel comics got me more interested in reading in general than Goosebumps and crime novels I became a fan of as kid…or I could just like reading regardless. I have no clue, all I know is as a kid Marvel comics resonated with me much more than DC comics.

i flip flopped through both as a kid. valiant too. then image came around.... fuck that company

comics did a lot of good for me as akid

When he passed and O&A had all the comedians calling in, one called in. I can't remember who, but he talked about how he had a chance to talk to a Comedy Central executive about getting a show. To pitch his show. And the guys said that all Patrice did for 95% of the conversation was pound into the executive about how awful he was for putting Mind of Mencia on their network. And then he pitched his show at the last 5 minutes.

This is where Chris talks about Patrice and his business attitude.

I loved him talking about his time writing for the WWF (i refuse to use the E)

I read every single Fear Street book up until like 1999, wouldn't touch Goosebumps to save a life

Quick question I might have to move to Houston from NY for a job before the summer is over. I'm doing my due dilligence so I got to ask. Is there any neighborhoods I should avoid due to crime, racism, High Cancer rates?

On the flip are there any neighborhoods that I should try to move into for a higher standard or living etc?

Avoid the southeast side (crime), Greenspoint (crime), Northline/Studiewood area's (Crime), Mid-town (for high living prices), deep into Tomball (racism, supposely neo KKK people in parts of it), West of Katy (semi-racist), Pearland (rich and Nasa people, high traffic if coming in the city). You'll commute or lose out on the cheap rent the city has

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Avoid the southeast side (crime), Greenspoint (crime), Northline/Studiewood area's (Crime), Mid-town (for high living prices), deep into Tomball (racism, supposely neo KKK people in parts of it), West of Katy (semi-racist), Pearland (rich and Nasa people, high traffic if coming in the city). You'll commute or lose out on the cheap rent the city has

Thanks! Any neighborhoods you would recommend?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Thanks! Any neighborhoods you would recommend?

depends on which parts you need to commute to, i'm bias but the north side is best overall, the sorta parallel roads Louetta (North West to North East) and FM 1960 (covers like 1/3rd of the city from West to North East) is good to decent. Kingwood (North East) is nice but kinda isolated and closest the major airport so gets sorta noisy. there's a moderate amount of houses near the beltway 8/Sam Houston Parkway (2nd most loop) but traffic is a bitch. Jersey Villiage is hit or miss. Westside (Westheimer/Richmond/Memorial drive area - said Midtown i meantioned earlier) is great if you need to get Downtown but all of the roads have crazy low speed limits (35mph) and lots of cops

The immigrant issue in Europe really put a damper on their 'we're so tolerant, America is obsessed with race.' schtick they've been saying for a while.

It's easy to say and think you and your countrymen would be fine with people of different ethnic, racial, religious or cultural backgrounds being your neighbor. When it actually happens that's when you see what people are really about.

Slayven

The immigrant issue in Europe really put a damper on their 'we're so tolerant, America is obsessed with race.' schtick they've been saying for a while.

It's easy to say and think you and your countrymen would be fine with people of different ethnic, racial, religious or cultural backgrounds being your neighbor. When it actually happens that's when you see what people are really about.

Well they still got Zelt Pete.

Kreed

RIP Maya Angelou

To be fair though, Europe is a continent. So really you are getting most of that schtick for places like the UK and Germany vs places like Russia and Sweden.

It's like when people say "America", they aren't including Canada, Mexico, or any South American countries (although we should since they are America too) vs just the United States.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Still wont stop dudes from pulling the "america is too concerned with race" shit next time a like thread comes up.

RIP Maya Angelou

To be fair though, Europe is a continent. So really you are getting most of that schtick for places like the UK and Germany vs places like Russia and Sweden.

It's like when people say "America", they aren't including Canada, Mexico, or any South American countries (although we should since they are America too) vs just the United States.

True that it's mostly said regarding the UK, it'd be hard to say something like that about Russia given their anti-gay stuff.

SmokyDave

America vs. Europe racism fights remind me of two people competing to see who can shit themselves the least. Nobody wins, you're still both covered in shit, shut the fuck up.

Slayven

Get Up (Sex Machine) is being pulled from Rock Band's store in a couple of days. I guess James Brown ain't staying on the scene

Man I remember that one year where Guitar Hero was the shit. That ran that shit in the ground with a quickness I never seen before or since.

FyreWulff

Man I remember that one year where Guitar Hero was the shit. That ran that shit in the ground with a quickness I never seen before or since.

And now all of their DLC is gone. Activision even killed the stuff like the free Halo theme you could download for GH3. Just 100% gone

Top Bottom