• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Heres the thing i dont get about paedophilia. It was seen as normal and natural in the ancient world. What happened. What changed?

For example in ancient greece it was very common for older men to take younger boys under their wings as mentor and sex em up to boot.

Not condoning. Just a serious question. What changed?

Same shit with homosexuality too. It was very normal WAY back.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't think pedophilia was ever normal. People who did what you describe were often in powerful positions where they could not be confronted or questioned, only obeyed. If you had a problem with what they did you were slain or imprisoned, end of story.

We don't live in that kind of world anymore and thus pedophilia is seen for the crime that it is.

EDIT: Rio you just posted the thread to end all threads.

GAF, My chairs, tables and utensils are floating around the room and threatening my bf who decided to have a relationship with my grandfather while writing a list about all the guys I thought about sleeping with in 4th grade which was found by my sister in law who walked out of the shower at my grandmas funeral which had a black person, so what do I do to impress my second cousin who says I have sharp knees? Also I got approached by a prostitute who said I have a thigh gap that was cosplaying as Nicaraguan Jessica Negri.

Do yourself a favor and don't bring up homosexuality and pedophilia in the same context.

One i hope people dont jump to conclusions and accuse me of being a paedophile. Its a serious question. Two, i group the two not for their similarity but due to their prevelance in the same time period in the same place.

Older greek men regurlary had sex with little greek boys. These are some of the architects of the modern world. Who came along and shunned these behaviors?

I don't think pedophilia was ever normal. People who did what you describe were often in powerful positions where they could not be confronted or questioned, only obeyed. If you had a problem with what they did you were slain or imprisoned, end of story.

We don't live in that kind of world anymore and thus pedophilia is seen for the crime that it is.

EDIT: Rio you just posted the thread to end all threads.

According to my college prof this simply was not true. It was a normal practice and kinda of expected. Take a young youth under your wing and yadda yadda.

Maybe this isnt something you can have a discussion about with looking like a creep and getting banned.

Kreed

Heres the thing i dont get about paedophilia. It was seen as normal and natural in the ancient world. What happened. What changed?

For example in ancient greece it was very common for older men to take younger boys under their wings as mentor and sex em up to boot.

Not condoning. Just a serious question. What changed?

Same shit with homosexuality too. It was very normal WAY back.

Hate to invoke Natural's Law here, but since this is the black culture thread, everything is Natural's Law by default right?

Heres the thing i dont get about slavery. It was seen as normal and natural in the ancient world. What happened. What changed?

Times changed.

Hate to invoke Natural's Law here, but since this is the black culture thread, everything is Natural's Law by default right?

Times changed.

Natural Law as in the Moral Law? As in a basic feeling that some decisions are right and wrong? But for so many people to ignore this instinct. I mean theyd have to be depraved at that point, right?

I dunno. Times changing as an answer really bugs me internally. I dont want to live in a world where moral decisions are swept under the rug in favor of the order of the day. Whats to stop time changing back to slavery days or womens suffrage. Or some other great tragedy? Was time the only factor? Or did people really internally realize that some shit was just wrong?

Im young but im pretty certain i dont want children, man.

Seeing groups of people as something other than property is what made us all realize rape and slavery are huge NO NOs. Morality was influenced by technology and the time to invest more education into people other than rich nobles.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Question especially for the game industry brothers here:

Would you have any advice for a 13 year old black boy who is interested in pursuing a degree in gaming and working for the game industry?
Coming in late on this one, but here's the advice I've given my (not quite 13) oldest son:
Your mileage will vary with any "gaming" degree. A solid background in computer sciences will go a lot further. Cut his teeth on an introductory gaming ecosystem like Gamemaker and walk through as many tutorials as he can. Play around with the variables in those tutorials, make mistakes, break things, track down the bugs and fix them. I learned more at an early age from typing in umpteen lines of Basic and machine language code from old Compute!, Ahoy and Compute!s Gazette magazines than I ever could have planned for.

Play board games. Lots of board games. Try to break them down, figure out why some take longer than others, why some bring people together (Zombies!) and others pull teammates apart (Risk). Same goes for D&D, a good DM can teach a lot about competent scenario building, and a shitty DM can teach even more if you're paying attention.

Get a CompSci degree above all else. Even if he doesn't use it much going forward, it will help a lot when engaging in cross-discipline communication with coders, and that makes all the difference. I'm self-taught, but I want to go back when I have time and get that degree under my belt as well...

akira28

DragonKnight: short answer, Christianity. Forced homosexuality which was associated with pagans into the closet. Forced sexuality in general into the dark. And child sex, which was a norm in some cultures, though not exactly an accepted one in the ancient world, behind closed and locked doors.

Of course children as young as 12 were marrying and puberty was basically child bearing age for all but the upper classes. So when they say pedophilia, they really mean young children.

then again, the further you go back, killing children, and eating children was somewhat normal. So with civilization we have improved, somewhat, on the protections of children. They're precious today, where before they were expendable resources you couldn't always count on surviving to adulthood.

DominoKid

i feel obligated to support Lance Gross' new show Crisis just so he doesn't have to go back to shitty Tyler Perry movies/shows.

but my god that show had some of the worst greenscreen stuff i've ever seen. i did like it enough to watch another episode.

KumaJG

Coming in late on this one, but here's the advice I've given my (not quite 13) oldest son:
Your mileage will vary with any "gaming" degree. A solid background in computer sciences will go a lot further. Cut his teeth on an introductory gaming ecosystem like Gamemaker and walk through as many tutorials as he can. Play around with the variables in those tutorials, make mistakes, break things, track down the bugs and fix them. I learned more at an early age from typing in umpteen lines of Basic and machine language code from old Compute!, Ahoy and Compute!s Gazette magazines than I ever could have planned for.

Play board games. Lots of board games. Try to break them down, figure out why some take longer than others, why some bring people together (Zombies!) and others pull teammates apart (Risk). Same goes for D&D, a good DM can teach a lot about competent scenario building, and a shitty DM can teach even more if you're paying attention.

Get a CompSci degree above all else. Even if he doesn't use it much going forward, it will help a lot when engaging in cross-discipline communication with coders, and that makes all the difference. I'm self-taught, but I want to go back when I have time and get that degree under my belt as well...

Hey bishop, what are some misconceptions about working in the video game industry?

so how bout dat new SF4 character

much better than Linn Kurosawa tho amirite

S3Vvo2R.gif

You got jokes JC.

That shit hurt my feelings. It couldve been Linn dammit!!!

seriously Capcom is putting as little effort into these characters as possible

four imported from the other game and a palette swap

dont forget all those lower-res stages imported from SFxT

they must gave them niggas a shoestring budget and said "get to work boys"

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm so glad Sean didn't get the in slot. Hate to see all that development in a character I like only to use the bitchmade version.

BlackJace

dont forget all those lower-res stages imported from SFxT

they must gave them niggas a shoestring budget and said "get to work boys"

They actually admitted to not even having enough money for funding SF V. Street Fighter is hurtin' y'all.

Marvel 4's probably not happening before I have kids.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Marvel's also sealing up their games to have their own universe, so don't expect more Marvel for....aaaages

RedSwirl

DragonKnight: short answer, Christianity. Forced homosexuality which was associated with pagans into the closet. Forced sexuality in general into the dark. And child sex, which was a norm in some cultures, though not exactly an accepted one in the ancient world, behind closed and locked doors.

Of course children as young as 12 were marrying and puberty was basically child bearing age for all but the upper classes. So when they say pedophilia, they really mean young children.

Though that was probably the case because life expectancy back then for common people (at birth) was somewhere around 30.

...and I don't know what the fuck Capcom is thinking anymore. I really don't know what big commercial hits they have anymore outside Monster Hunter in Japan.

Though that was probably the case because life expectancy back then for common people (at birth) was somewhere around 30.

...and I don't know what the fuck Capcom is thinking anymore. I really don't know what big commercial hits they have anymore outside Monster Hunter in Japan.

Actually several ancient cultures were well aware that younger mothers were more likely to die in childbirth but married them off anyway. Misogyny runs deep.

Top Bottom