• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

harSon

Banned
hating on alpha builds is that new shit apparently

It depends what you're hating on. If we were talking graphics, animations, performance, etc. then you'd absolutely have a point. But the underlying gameplay? That's not likely to change dramatically between now and the game's release in 3 months.

J10

Banned
I'd be shocked if that was actually an alpha build. Do betas really come in that late? I assumed the public beta was more of a marketing demo than a real field test. Game is out in a few months and I doubt they could make serious changes between public beta and release.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It depends what you're hating on. If we were talking graphics, animations, performance, etc. then you'd absolutely have a point. But the underlying gameplay? That's not likely to change dramatically between now and the game's release in 3 months.

according to what? did you see borderlands' alpha build? it wasn't even the same game

harSon

Banned
according to what? did you see borderlands' alpha build? it wasn't even the same game

According to Bungie's history of game development? They have a pretty detailed history of worrying about gameplay first, and graphics later. And calling this an alpha in the true sense of the word is pretty forgiving, considering it's 3 months out from release and all. Halo 3's beta was released to the public 4 months prior to the game's release, and Destiny's beta is about a month from public release. The gameplay's not going to change dramatically. Hell, the gameplay hasn't really changed in the year since it was properly unveiled. It might show better with co-op, and multiplayer might be a different beast though, but that's not really what we're talking about.

DY_nasty

According to Bungie's history of game development? They have a pretty detailed history of worrying about gameplay first, and graphics later. And calling this an alpha in the true sense of the word is pretty forgiving, considering it's 3 months out from release and all. Halo 3's beta was released to the public 4 months prior to the game's release, and Destiny's beta is about a month from public release. The gameplay's not going to change dramatically. Hell, the gameplay hasn't really changed in the year since it was properly unveiled. It might show better with co-op, and multiplayer might be a different beast though, but that's not really what we're talking about.

its comical to hop all over unreleased games. from shooters to rpgs - people couldn't wait to tear lighting returns apart and it ended up having one of the best battle systems of the generation. borderlands looked like it belonged in a dumpster. ACIII looked like it was gonna change a genre.

and how you gonna go off on bungie's history of game development when all they've done is develop damned good games? lol

yal are trifling to be trifling

J10

Banned
No, he'd be movie Aldrich Killian, and his motivation for being a villain would somehow be even lamer than the movie version. At least Killian actually had work.

Slayven

its comical to hop all over unreleased games. from shooters to rpgs - people couldn't wait to tear lighting returns apart and it ended up having one of the best battle systems of the generation. borderlands looked like it belonged in a dumpster. ACIII looked like it was gonna change a genre.

and how you gonna go off on bungie's history of game development when all they've done is develop damned good games? lol

yal are trifling to be trifling

Sony's Destiny marketing is working.

Anyway, Zeke Stane(son of the badguy from the first movie) should totally be in Iron Man 4

DY_nasty

First off that is all it takes to be publiched on the BBC. I guess Journalism died with newspapers. Second i dislike the people that choose to ignore "nigga" vs "nigger", and just put it as no one should use it. Folks don't know context as it is.

that really doesn't mean shit

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
First off that is all it takes to be publiched on the BBC. I guess Journalism died with newspapers. Second i dislike the people that choose to ignore "nigga" vs "nigger", and just put it as no one should use it. Folks don't know context as it is.

To be honest, that is almost exclusively an American construct. In the UK, there was barely any distinction.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Because Harson doesn't like it?

: 3

1363863597925139587.GIF

As I've gotten older, I've come around to the "probably no one should use it" side.

It's poisonous.

I mean, it's clearly used in a different context (in America). It's effectively a different word because people separate the two. Popular usage means a lot for any word.

DY_nasty

I mean, it's clearly used in a different context (in America). It's effectively a different word because people separate the two. Popular usage means a lot for any word.

No it isn't. Nigga and Nigger is just how lazy or deliberate you are or how your accent is. Its the same word. And in the splitting hairs realm of it NOT being the same word, its so damned close that the differential means you still throw it all out the window.

I'd be much, much happier if people would lay off of that angle and instead just go with the argument of "women call each other sluts and bitches in certain relationships where they're close or identifying with one another" instead of nigga/nigger wrought from comedy specials.

jWILL253

Banned
here's a couple between ff13 and 13-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoituh9yu3o serah's theme. kinda lounge style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C0moZgXXJY will to fight. i always thought it was one of the most underrated tracks from the game so it getting treatment was nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7UBlPVC_g0 could've used a more professional touch, absolutely, but the guy had a damned good idea with this and it still works despite his flaws

i'll post some more later

edit: another will to fight remix, its long but damn it picks up really well around 2 minutes in and the production isn't bad at all considered...

All those are pretty dope. Especially the "Will to Fight" one.

But, I was thinking of more of an Alchemist style of sampling, more of a new school boom bap style, mix and matching samples, that kind of thing.

Also, I admit that I used to shit on XIII's music, but that was because I never really listened to it beyond the battle theme ("Blinded by Light") and a couple of the vocalized tracks, but truth be told, it's the only redeeming quality from that game. There's some serious engineering wizardry going on with this OST. It's damn glorious.

--

Ugh. Whenever someone says that ALL Beats are trash, I wanna hit them over the head with a pair of Pro's. The Studio's & Solo's have become synonymous for the entire product line, and that sucks because the Pro's get overlooked because of it...

No it isn't. Nigga and Nigger is just how lazy or deliberate you are or how your accent is. Its the same word. And in the splitting hairs realm of it NOT being the same word, its so damned close that the differential means you still throw it all out the window.

I'd be much, much happier if people would lay off of that angle and instead just go with the argument of "women call each other sluts and bitches in certain relationships where they're close or identifying with one another" instead of nigga/nigger wrought from comedy specials.

The fact that people use it differently counts for something. The distinction exists (and clearly so) in music, for example. You'd be hard pressed to find people using the hard r in public. People don't accept that. You can say that it's the same word, but popular usage has made a distinction (even if you don't believe it's a clear enough distinction). You can see it pretty much everywhere. Whether or not comedy specials contributed to its popularity, it does exist.

That's all I'm saying.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
So that "i think i'm fat thread" is a clear case of some people in there being utterly clueless about the human body.

Fuck me.

For some people and its probably more than you realize; there is no "context", nigga and nigger are the same thing and shouldn't be used.

DY_nasty

The fact that people use it differently counts for something. The distinction exists (and clearly so) in music, for example. You'd be hard pressed to find people using the hard r in public. People don't accept that. You can say that it's the same word, but popular usage has made a distinction (even if you don't believe it's a clear enough distinction). You can see it pretty much everywhere. Whether or not comedy specials contributed to its popularity, it does exist.

That's all I'm saying.

They really don't though. People are mistaking inflection for annunciation.

Its the same word - just different people behind it.

They really don't though. People are mistaking inflection for annunciation.

Its the same word - just different people behind it.

That's an interesting point. But don't you think that people take more offense to one over the other? Most black people won't call each other niggers. Many white people won't either; if they choose to use the word, it will often be in one form instead of the other.

But I guess this would be easier if we defined what nigger means in the first place. We know that it comes from a bastardization of the word negro. We know it originated at a time that people (overwhelmingly) thought of black people as lesser. So at the time, we can say that a nigger was simply a black person. In that aspect, nigger and nigga have the same (original) denotation. So in that respect, nigga and nigger are the same word. It's in connotation that they differ. Being that words do have weight in their meanings, then I would argue that they're separate words on that basis alone. I would argue that it's the most important basis of a word with regards to communication.

(That was way too long; sorry)

DY_nasty

That's an interesting point. But don't you think that people take more offense to one over the other? Most black people won't call each other niggers. Many white people won't either; if they choose to use the word, it will often be in one form instead of the other.

But I guess this would be easier if we defined what nigger means in the first place. We know that it comes from a bastardization of the word negro. We know it originated at a time that people (overwhelmingly) thought of black people as lesser. So at the time, we can say that a nigger was simply a black person. In that aspect, nigger and nigga have the same (original) denotation. So in that respect, nigga and nigger are the same word. It's in connotation that they differ. Being that words do have weight in their meanings, then I would argue that they're separate words on that basis alone. I would argue that it's the most important basis of a word with regards to communication.

They do but they shouldn't. Its the exact same word. Said by people with that hope that it means what at that moment they want it to mean.

Nigga-er-uh

It really doesn't matter how you say it. Its the same word. It can mean fellow minority who recognizes the same struggles as myself or less than human come up. Its the same as any other group exclusive slang that the target group learns to lessen and use within itself to water down and reduce.

They do but they shouldn't. Its the exact same word. Said by people with that hope that it means what at that moment they want it to mean.

Nigga-er-uh

It really doesn't matter how you say it. Its the same word. It can mean fellow minority who recognizes the same struggles as myself or less than human come up. Its the same as any other group exclusive slang that the target group learns to lessen and use within itself to water down and reduce.

Okay, fair; on that level, they are the same word. I do believe that the difference of usage should be acknowledged in discussion, however. Same as any word that is reclaimed by an oppressed group.

This logic (of them being separate words with common ancestry) lends credence to the idea that whites should be able to use the word as well.
If they are separate words, as you say, and that separation makes one of them acceptable for wide use, then isn't it also suggested that this particular word is inoffensive in any situation?

I mean, I can see where you're coming from, and anyone with this opinion for that matter, but the whole thing seems based on the idea that finally there is a special word what 'we' can use, but that 'they' can't. Have you ever been around when an older black person was called "nigga" by a younger person who didn't see the problem?

Not a fun time.

This logic (of them being separate words with common ancestry) lends credence to the idea that whites should be able to use the word as well.
If they are separate words, as you say, and that separation makes one of them acceptable for wide use, then isn't it also suggested that this particular word is inoffensive in any situation?

I mean, I can see where you're coming from, and anyone with this opinion for that matter, but the whole thing seems based on the idea that finally there is a special word what 'we' can use, but that 'they' can't. Have you ever been around when an older black person was called "nigga" by a younger person who didn't see the problem?

Not a fun time.

Absolutely - at the same time, I expect that not all black people feel the same about the word. I'm definitely different from many black people in terms of how I feel about the word. But I suppose that DY is right there - it's the person behind it. In that case, I don't really care if people use it so long as it's not malicious. Some people think only blacks should use it, some think no one should. It's always going to be a complicated issue in the grand scheme of things. Maybe even if we all become equal.

EDIT: Hell, I didn't start using the word (as slang) until recently (and still not often). At the same time, I never shied away from say, reading the word "nigger" out loud in class (Huckleberry Finn).

Kreed

Okay, fair; on that level, they are the same word. I do believe that the difference of usage should be acknowledged in discussion, however. Same as any word that is reclaimed by an oppressed group.

Have you seen the movie Rush Hour where Jackie Chan uses the word "nigga" and gets attacked? Or remember the outrage over J-Lo using the word in a song or Cameron Diaz quoting Niggas in Paris?

It's like DY is saying, it's really just black people using the word as a term of endearment to each other, vs the different words having different meanings. The hard R version just sounds foreign because we are so use to the other slang pronunciation in rap lyrics, and racist want to put that extra "yeah I'm saying something fucked up" to the pronunciation.

Assassins Creed hack and slash made by platinum

you're welcome

I got a million of em*

*no i dont

How about an AC where you play a different target from each time period. As a target, you have no (or very little) offensive ability, however, you have full knowledge that you are being hunted by an assassin and have to evade them/hide across the different times.

Have you seen the movie Rush Hour where Jackie Chan uses the word "nigga" and gets attacked? Or remember the outrage over J-Lo using the word in a song or Cameron Diaz quoting Niggas in Paris?

It's like DY is saying, it's really just black people using the word as a term of endearment to each other, vs the different words having different meanings. The hard R version just sounds foreign because we are so use to the other slang pronunciation in rap lyrics, and racist want to put that extra "yeah I'm saying something fucked up" to the pronunciation.

Gwyneth Paltrow or whatever the fuck her name is. Though the J-Lo outrage was dumb consider no one flinches when Khalid or Fat Joe scream it.

No, that's true, but it is indeed extra fucked up to say one over the other. It is limited to one group, you're right. But that group does make the distinction among other members of the group (to a degree - as I said, black people do vary on the specifics a lot).

G-Fex

How about an AC where you play a different target from each time period. As a target, you have no (or very little) offensive ability, however, you have full knowledge that you are being hunted by an assassin and have to evade them/hide across the different times.

I guess that could work. Possibly

As an endless runner, why not?

DominoKid

That sounds like a new series.

I'm still not feelin' Destiny

I never was just like Titanfall, Ass Creeds, GTA5, Watch Dogs, and every COD past 4

one of the top guys of Rooster Teeth (co-founder) used it just Monday. Although he was just saying it as a direct quote to something that happen to him in France otherwise he only used "n-word".

Top Bottom