• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Gorillaz

This is why I'm pretty particular about animes I watch, shonen in particular.
Pretty much in the same boat. Last thing I watched was KlK and that was 2 weeks after it ended and gaf hyping it up for months.

Same with Gurren Lagann, I literally just watched it a week or 2 ago.

Edit:Actually AoT was what brought me back into anime

Onemic

Basically how I am. Last one I watched was Attack on Titans. If enough people talk about a show I'll give it a try. Actually I watched Space Dandy as well, because it's watanabe and I love cowboy bebop and samurai champloo.

I saw this recently.

How was Space Dandy anyway? I watched the first episode and it didn't feel like Watanabe at all

Basically how I am. Last one I watched was Attack on Titans. If enough people talk about a show I'll give it a try. Actually I watched Space Dandy as well, because it's watanabe and I love cowboy bebop and samurai champloo.

I watched a few episodes of AoT it was cool but ultimately I lost interest. But I'm like that with TV in general which is why I don't have cable TV. Very rarely will I stick with a show regardless of it's quality.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I know that feel.

It was just weird with HxH - because I gave both Ippo, Kuroko's Basketball, and Bleach plenty of chance but something about the beginning of HxH just completely failed to draw me. But I never watched the original. I tried to watch the newer version if that makes any difference.

I think its because hunter starts off adventure like. That stuff loses a lot of people expecting yu yu hakusho level stuff out the gate. When it finally swings into gear is when it gets attention. I think thats why leorio is such an odd man in the series, because hes clearly made for something else.

harSon

Banned
How was Space Dandy anyway? I watched the first episode and it didn't feel like Watanabe at all

It's hit or miss, but it's got a high ceiling and a pretty decent floor. The lack of an ongoing narrative is a bit stressful at times, but the show's a lot of fun. Some of it will tickle that Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo bone, but those experiences aren't as plentiful as you'd hope. I think it'd be a lot better if they removed, or didn't focus so heavily on the Gogol Empire stuff.

I think it lends itself better to weekly watching, as opposed to powering through it, considering the lack of narrative consistency from episode to episode.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I almost tricked myself into watching Casshern Sins again today but I know better.

Slayven

Being bros witg everyone is something a lot of people cant handle

Like slay said, its much better than it should be given the rider design.

If someone told me that a show who's key features was Dancing, Fruit, and Pokemon battles evolved into a Greek tragedy, I would tell you to stop smoking that shit.

Kamen Rider seems difficult to get into

It's really not, but you really do need to jump in on the right series.

I recommend Kabuto, if you like more serious things, and Den-O if you like more silly things.

If you like things in the middle, start with Double.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kamen Rider seems difficult to get into

Its not. Just take it one series at a time. Theres really no connection to the other series except for the movies. kamen rider W , kabuto, or fourze are easy ones to start off with, then you can branch off from those

Imm0rt4l

It's ok, the episodes are really hit or miss. It's pretty wacky and each episode is pretty different. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an overarching story, or at least not right now there isn't. The music is really good, and it's really colorful.

Imm0rt4l

Hellsing Ultimate/ Ova and Monster great for the people into anime

Monsters another one that gets name dropped a lot. Pretty solid seinen show I saw a few years back. Apparently Guilermo Del Toro wants to make a show based off it iirc. Never seen the other shows you named.

I'll say it again as I've said before. I don't have problems trying to discern who should or should not say nigger. I will not have to deal with "well maybe he was saying, nigga" because no one should say the word period.

For me there is no appropriation of the word. To call each others niggers/niggas is just becoming conditioned to accept degradation.

Gorillaz

question to some of yall that know a bit more about anime is there anything else out there close to that "pulp" feel of black lagoon?

I still like shonen but I liked that BL had some more grounded characters, and played off of more gun fights then sci-fi or fantasy. Even if the world itself might jump the shark at times.

Silky

Banned
question to some of yall that know a bit more about anime is there anything else out there close to that "pulp" feel of black lagoon?

I still like shonen but I liked that BL had some more grounded characters, and played off of more gun fights then sci-fi or fantasy. Even if the world itself might jump the shark at times.

Trigun?

Baccano or Durarara might be what you're looking for. I haven't heard much of it, but the dub of Baccano is supposed to be pretty damn good.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Baccano is probably the best 'short' series I've ever seen.

Or at least the most entertaining.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Trigun is definitely in line with Black Lagoon.

Another is maybe... I think I'm thinking of Hellsing...

KumaJG

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex , Jormungand, Cowboy Bebop or Hellsing Ultimate

Mainly the ones in bold, Hellsing Ultimate is just a shameless plug lol. You make like Jormungand out of the three, since it is from the same guy that is doing Black Lagoon.

Slayven

Power on Showtime is looking pretty good. Usually these black gangsta trying to go straight always end up corny and the same.

Top Bottom