• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If the context of the word depends on race. Abolish it. That's racist.

another thing

an action can be clearly based upon race

i personally don't think that everyone who does something racist is a 'RACIST'

but people really do go straight to that level when it comes to measuring others up.

number47

another thing

an action can be clearly based upon race

i personally don't think that everyone who does something racist is a 'RACIST'

but people really do go straight to that level when it comes to measuring others up.

How does that make sense.you are not allowed to judge by race. Any sense trying is auto racist. And not "angry racist". Just ignorant. Like a actual racist.

royalan

My incomplete (and, admittedly, maybe juvenile) opinion on if it is and isn't ok for someone who isn't black to use the word nigga is this: if it is ok for you to use the word, you know it. If any part of you has to question your ability to use the word, or wonder for even a split second if you're "using it correctly," then you're better off not using it at all, because you clearly don't have a well-rounded understanding of the culture surrounding it, and that's the quickest way to offend anybody.

I've never really been offended by people who weren't black saying nigga if they clearly demonstrated knowledge of the history of the word, what it means, its different forms and how they're used. The catch to that, though, is that most non-black people I know who demonstrate that level of knowledge of black culture don't usually go around using the word.

DY_nasty

How does that make sense.you are not allowed to judge by race. Any sense trying is auto racist. And not "angry racist". Just ignorant. Like a actual racist.

It makes perfect sense because EVERYONE has a bit of a racial bias in them - whether they're willing to acknowledge it or not.

Just because Bieber said nigger a few times as a teenager or young adult, it puts him nowhere near the same league as a Donald Sterling.

Are people dumb? Sure. Are they actively putting down an entire group because they weren't raised better - or taking steps to enact actual processes which literally oppress/keep said group at a disadvantage? Fuck no.

HOW EVA, the people who #inherently deny that there is any stupidity in conducting oneself in such a manner, as in letting the racist lingo fly, are in many cases worse than the one's that the discussion is centered around.

deli2000

In my friendship circle (majority white). The n-word does get tossed up on rare occasion , I just calmly call them out, and then the conversation moves on. I'm not really offended in any way, and my friendship circle is full of the most progressive, liberal people I know, who clearly know the context of the word. So I'm not exactly going to break a sweat over it.

However, if I don't know you, or don't like you, don't use the n-word near me ever. Lower school kids trying to get my attention with the n-word, in both it's forms, well meaning or not, is totally fucked up and happens way too often where I live.

Kreed

Gwyneth Paltrow or whatever the fuck her name is. Though the J-Lo outrage was dumb consider no one flinches when Khalid or Fat Joe scream it.

Right, my bad on the Cameron Diaz/Gwyneth Paltrow mix up.

I agree on the J-Lo thing too vs other latino artist that use the word in their lyrics (I've heard a few Fat Joe interviews and it always throws me off to hear him say the word outside of a rap song). It was definitely a spot light thing with her being more popular and more people noticing, in addition to the audience she normally targets. If Khalid or Fat Joe had J-Lo's kind of audience and popularity, I think more people would be bothered by their usage of the term too.

Dy's point can be summed up as racist acts vs racist person. In that sense some racist acts are just born of complete ignorance rather than malice. Problem is you can't even get people to agree that it was a racist act in the first place, even if you're not commenting on the person themselves.

number47

Dy's point can be summed up as racist acts vs racist person. In that sense some racist acts are just born of complete ignorance rather than malice. Problem is you can't even get people to agree that it was a racist act in the first place, even if you're not commenting on the person themselves.
So the person isn't racist. Just stupid. Ignorant vs arrogant. Which can be avoided if people try to make less general assumptions.

DY_nasty

All those are pretty dope. Especially the "Will to Fight" one.

But, I was thinking of more of an Alchemist style of sampling, more of a new school boom bap style, mix and matching samples, that kind of thing.

Also, I admit that I used to shit on XIII's music, but that was because I never really listened to it beyond the battle theme ("Blinded by Light") and a couple of the vocalized tracks, but truth be told, it's the only redeeming quality from that game. There's some serious engineering wizardry going on with this OST. It's damn glorious.

--

Ugh. Whenever someone says that ALL Beats are trash, I wanna hit them over the head with a pair of Pro's. The Studio's & Solo's have become synonymous for the entire product line, and that sucks because the Pro's get overlooked because of it...
It really is a damned good soundtrack. I might post some more stuff later... I actually think Riovane started a mashup thread a while back too.

Have you seen the movie Rush Hour where Jackie Chan uses the word "nigga" and gets attacked? Or remember the outrage over J-Lo using the word in a song or Cameron Diaz quoting Niggas in Paris?

It's like DY is saying, it's really just black people using the word as a term of endearment to each other, vs the different words having different meanings. The hard R version just sounds foreign because we are so use to the other slang pronunciation in rap lyrics, and racist want to put that extra "yeah I'm saying something fucked up" to the pronunciation.

were people really upset at the "I'm Real (Remix)" because i remember there being a few people like 'hey' and most like 'what are you talking about?' and it died fast.

but then again, in NY, if you grew up in certain neighborhoods, didn't matter if you were black, white, hispanic, east or south asian, whatever, 'nigga' was just a part of your vocabulary.

I don't understand why non blacks want to use the word so much. I'm sure your ethnicity has some derogatory term you can use among yourselves. People be willing to have these long artsy discussions bringing in a bunch of historical references just to rap along to a Dr Dre song.

Slayven

So my kids have been on a My Little Pony binge.

I'm really concerned about grown ass men having a counter-culture fandom for this.
They say it is subversive and well written. It's not, pretty much the same as any other kid show in that demo.

Except the black pony lives in a hut outside of town and speaks in rhyme.

Tons of kids shows are subversive and written in a way so that parents aren't bored to death. I rewatch some stuff I did as a kid and the amount of adult jokes is insane.

G-Fex

So my kids have been on a My Little Pony binge.

I'm really concerned about grown ass men having a counter-culture fandom for this.

I suppose keep them far away from the internet.

And yeah no conventions. I'd like to say no conventions of any type :)

Fandoms are disturbing as fuck

I don't see what the complaints are about from white people I mean, about the word. My school, which was primarily black and asian, "nigga" could be heard constantly, by everyone, and no one would bat an eye. Administration wasn't thrilled but I learned that the word, depending on the space, had much more to do with context and the relationship to the other person than the racial make up of the person using it.

Nigger was never used but nigga could still be utilized in a negative way. Such as, "look at this dumb nigga over here."

And there were plenty of fights about it.

I never really used it if you're wondering.

DY_nasty

Not that I'm counting

but

Of all the podcasts and pre-sessions, and there have been a LOT, I'm forced to admit how impressed I am at Devo's consistency in never being by-definition 'wrong' in how she's said nigger.

Its uncanny.

Steve Nash is more likely to miss a free throw

number47

I don't see what the complaints are about from white people I mean, about the word. My school, which was primarily black and asian, "nigga" could be heard constantly, by everyone, and no one would bat an eye. Administration wasn't thrilled but I learned that the word, depending on the space, had much more to do with context and the relationship to the other person than the racial make up of the person using it.

Nigger was never used but nigga could still be utilized in a negative way. Such as, "look at this dumb nigga over here."

And there were plenty of fights about it.

I never really used it if you're wondering.

The real problem is we are all getting too close and theres no definition.like hipster.

I think it's more negative that you said dumb. Nigga was just the noun. Like nigga plz. I can just replace it with child. Child plz. See.

The real problem is we are all getting too close and theres no definition.like hipster.

I think it's more negative that you said dumb. Nigga was just the noun. Like nigga plz. I can just replace it with child. Child plz. See.

I don't necessarily agree. Using "nigga" in that context, they could have just said "look at this dumbass" but they didn't. They knew throwing some negative words with nigga put more edge or sting on it. Like when the fights would start there was a lot of "NIGGA WHAT" "NIGGA YOU HEARD ME."

DY_nasty

Depending on where you are, child plz is more likely to get you slapped. child plz means you're effectively referring to someone as less than an adult. nigga plz was born from a 'you should know better, fellow minority who endures similar hardships as myself'.

just throwin it out there

Slayven

Not that I'm counting

but

Of all the podcasts and pre-sessions, and there have been a LOT, I'm forced to admit how impressed I am at Devo's consistency in never being by-definition 'wrong' in how she's said nigger.

Its uncanny.

People let a lot of stuff slide when it is in a valley girl accent.

Not that I'm counting

but

Its uncanny.

I think it's a combination of growing up where I did and just kind of observing a lot of interactions. Some words are just complicated and yet simple. There is a time and place and there is "I want to fuck with someone." The people who really misunderstand it entirely can't even reach that plane, they're stuck at, "why can't I say it."

I don't mean to say the Pony show is bad. It's cute, but it clearly has a target audience and I just can't understand getting hype about the blu-ray box set or plush dolls. Or calling myself something based off of the show to show my fandom.

But I understand this is coming from a dude named after a character from a comic clearly aimed at 12 year old Japanese boys.

Kreed

were people really upset at the "I'm Real (Remix)" because i remember there being a few people like 'hey' and most like 'what are you talking about?' and it died fast.

but then again, in NY, if you grew up in certain neighborhoods, didn't matter if you were black, white, hispanic, east or south asian, whatever, 'nigga' was just a part of your vocabulary.

It's was mostly old black people and some negative media coverage. J-Lo apologized and Ja Rule tried to explain that she's latino so it's ok to say it/he wrote the lines for her to say.

DY_nasty

now i need a movie (or movies) to watch

got time to kill and i don't want to hop back into xillia quite yet

Word, I'm now at the point where HxH is a pretty good battle shonen; took too long to get to this point. The amount of cheesiness a person has to wad through I'm shocked this shit got popular at all (I'm at the Heaven tournament thingy; and Gon is fighting Hisoka).

Main character design is wack tho.

DY_nasty

Word, I'm now at the point where HxH is a pretty good battle shonen; took too long to get to this point. The amount of cheesiness a person has to wad through I'm shocked this shit got popular at all (I'm at the Heaven tournament thingy; and Gon is fighting Hisoka).

Yeah... I wanted to get into HxH but it starts WAY too slow and it just made it hard to believe the hype.

Unlike Jojo, where whenever there is a gap in progression they just dump in a can of swag

number47

Depending on where you are, child plz is more likely to get you slapped. child plz means you're effectively referring to someone as less than an adult. nigga plz was born from a 'you should know better, fellow minority who endures similar hardships as myself'.

just throwin it out there

And that's why we need to remove the word. You just toke what I said and added extra content. I meant as a equivalent to child plz. If we all are gojng to have different values for it. REMOVE IT.

DY_nasty

Not even sure. Just something entertaining.
And that's why we need to remove the word. You just toke what I said and added extra content. I meant as a equivalent to child plz. If we all are gojng to have different values for it. REMOVE IT.

How do you remove a word?

Especially when there's so much meaning to it. Its not going anywhere. May as well understand why it exists and why its so commonly used.

harSon

Banned
Yeah... I wanted to get into HxH but it starts WAY too slow and it just made it hard to believe the hype.

I didn't really experience that with the original HxH.

I can definitely relate though. I think it took me 5 years to get through Babylon 5's first season. Amazing show once you get through that piece of shit season. I miss the days when a show was given the time to find its footing. Nowadays, they'll yank your ass real fast.

Unlike Jojo, where whenever there is a gap in progression they just dump in a can of swag

Yea, I had to end up skipping much to see if the hype was warranted. Had I watched this normally I would have lost complete interest at episode 10.

Fight scenes are dope though, but this Hisoka dude's literal hard on the main character is...unsettling.

DY_nasty

bout to invest in some pizza too

oh - and all my working out ppl. i got a leg roller finally. MAH GAWD it hurts so good.
I didn't really experience that with the original HxH.

I can definitely relate though. I think it took me 5 years to get through Babylon 5's first season. Amazing show once you get through that piece of shit season. I miss the days when a show was given the time to find its footing. Nowadays, they'll yank your ass real fast.

I know that feel.

It was just weird with HxH - because I gave both Ippo, Kuroko's Basketball, and Bleach plenty of chance but something about the beginning of HxH just completely failed to draw me. But I never watched the original. I tried to watch the newer version if that makes any difference.

number47

Not even sure. Just something entertaining.

How do you remove a word?

Especially when there's so much meaning to it. Its not going anywhere. May as well understand why it exists and why its so commonly used.
The existence of the word isn't the problem. The option to feel insulted behind it is. Better off not using it.

Imm0rt4l

This is why I'm pretty particular about animes I watch, shonen in particular.

Top Bottom