• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

This isn't even worth considering.

Someone please tell this isn't actually being considered over some feigned indignation.

#CancelColbert was the Twitter hashtag, it's obvious the show wouldn't be cancelled over something like this.

"ching chong" and its variants aren't subtle, but they are safe: it gets used non-satirically, non-ironically and without repercussions in mainstream media all the time, which is why it can work as anti-Redskins satire in the first place. The contextless tweet was unfortunate, Park doubling down even after context was more unfortunate, and the most unfortunate thing of all is racists and people like Snyder leaning back and laughing at the rest of us.

Imm0rt4l

#CancelColbert was the Twitter hashtag, it's obvious the show wouldn't be cancelled over something like this.

"ching chong" and its variants aren't subtle, but they are safe: it gets used non-satirically, non-ironically and without repercussions in mainstream media all the time, which is why it can work as anti-Redskins satire in the first place. The contextless tweet was unfortunate, Park doubling down even after context was more unfortunate, and the most unfortunate thing of all is racists and people like Snyder leaning back and laughing at the rest of us.

Yeah, it undermines the message that was being conveyed in the first place.

Also, I hope people are using #cancelcolbert ironically. I don't have a twitter.

Putting this here instead of the Colbert thread for reasons:

Why Colbert's Joke Failed

They pretty much say what I initially thought; he didn't go hard enough for it to really be effective. I feel like Colbert is reaching that late Chappelle Show point, where people in on the jokes appreciate them for what they are, but everyone else is just laughing mindlessly.

I also think the fact he went to Asians and not black people is interesting, especially when we know how often Natural's Law pops up.

Nope

The satire was obvious

cdyhybrid

Yeah, it undermines the message that was being conveyed in the first place.

Also, I hope people are using #cancelcolbert ironically. I don't have a twitter.

This is Twitter (i.e. a platform for basically anyone, no matter how knowledgeable)...I think you know what the deal was.

Infinite

Eh, satire is supposed to be over the top and "offensive". The whole point is to use that ridiculousness to make your point and to point out the flaws in the thing you're satirizing. Like, "this thing is messed up, because THIS (ridiculous over-the-topness) is the next logical step".

The skit is fine but the tweet needed the context of a link to the skit. Of course, people should know that Colbert's persona and his associated outlets (the show, social media accounts, etc.) are 100% satire 100% of the time, but even most of the clueless people would have probably kept the outrage in the bag with a link to the skit next to it.

"ching chong" and its variants aren't subtle, but they are safe: it gets used non-satirically, non-ironically and without repercussions in mainstream media all the time, which is why it can't work as anti-Redskins satire in the first place. The contextless tweet was unfortunate, Park doubling down even after context was more unfortunate, and the most unfortunate thing of all is racists and people like Snyder leaning back and laughing at the rest of us.

This is why I don't think his satire is effective and a little irresponsible regardless of intentions.

cdyhybrid

This is why I don't think his satire is effective and a little irresponsible regardless of intentions.

I don't think it's "safe" at all, really, unless by "safe" you mean "requiring little depth" or something. Common or easy, maybe, but it's pretty blatantly racist. It's not like you have to dig deep for the racism involved.

Neither I or nor the article said it wasn't obvious.
Not everybody who laughs at “Ching Chong Ding Dong” is laughing because Colbert the character is so stupidly racist, but they are laughing at Asians. I believe this to be the case because this kind of anti-Asian dialog is still common in our society and is not immediately countered by most of society for being racist.
But it is, it was during the same segment as his Redskins coverage, and it was obviously making fun of Snyders so called efforts.

And saying that most of the audience is laughing at it because he was making fun of Asians not because of the satire is insulting to the intelligence of the audience.

Infinite

I don't think it's "safe" at all, really, unless by "safe" you mean "requiring little depth" or something. Common or easy, maybe, but it's pretty blatantly racist. It's not like you have to dig deep for the racism involved.

The thing I'm saying is the mainstream media portrays orientalism and Asian stereotypes all the time unironically and unsatircally. This is a problem just as much as the redskins name is a problem.

With all due respect, I don't think he'd have a show if his satire wasn't effective. He's been on the air a long time now.

That not what I meant. I meant this particular joke was poor not his whole legacy.

Infinite

Part of the deal when doing satire, unfortunately. Some people will miss the point, even if you try to make it as obvious as possible.

Not necessarily. A way he could have done is to do it in a way to invoke sympathy from those who aren't aware of how offensive the redskins name is to native american or even people who don't think it is by making them the subject of the satire.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Popeye's for lyfe.

I've finally found a place in Montreal that does good fried chicken.

lawd-baby-gif1.gif

I wouldn't even try and be a big spender if I won. I'd just make people think I earned more money at work. Pay for meals instead of splitting checks, tip a bit more, buy some gifts, etc.
I'd buy neogaf and ban everybody

Then, every new user who signs up would become my slave
What color pony avatars would you have them wear?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
If i won money like that, NO ONE besides my dad would know. NO ONE!

I'd invest most of it and live off that interest anyway.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Y'all already know imma buy a week with tigerr and a steam box if I win. Gone go full ignorant.

Nah but for real my first move would be to get a lawyer and accountant.

Gorillaz

If I won that much shiiiiit

Pay off student debt
Pay off mom's stuff/clear anything important in the "close" circle of the family

I'll buy yall a new bucket, get yall a few
trifling ass
redheads and lifetime supply of hot and ready from Little Caesar's.

I'm out after that, disappearing,gone, all that shit

posts in the black culture thread

expresses desire to reinstate slavery

smh

His diet consist of church's chicken and he has a pony avatar...he doesn't know better

If I won that much shiiiiit

Pay off student debt
Pay off mom's stuff/clear anything important in the "close" circle of the family

I'll buy yall a new bucket, get yall a few
trifling ass
redheads and lifetime supply of hot and ready from Little Caesar's.

I'm out after that, disappearing,gone, all that shit

His diet consist of church's chicken and he has a pony avatar...he doesn't know better

smh and to think I wouldve gotten you out of ohio

Top Bottom