• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Care to elaborate?
I don't buy that a significant portion of Colbert's audience doesn't understand that it's satire instead of just making fun of Asians.

"Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever" is entirely obvious to anyone who tunes in and watches Colbert.

If you watch the segment, it's obvious.

Literally the only thing Colbert does is to satirize people and situations by agreeing with them too hard. That's his entire show. That's his entire character. He does nothing but satire, all day, every day.

Trey

Care to elaborate?

I can kinda see the point it's making. Because Colbert didn't use a term most people would obviously understand to be racist (I give the general population more credit than that), it muddies the water and takes away from some of the bite of the satire.

But on the other side, the same is true for the term "Redskins", which is what Colbert was making an analogy to. So it's an effective joke in my eyes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That Chicago Cubs fan that caught that ball a few years back is only thing I can think of. That dude had to pull a Jason Bourne if I remember right.

yeah they did a whole 30 for 30 on it. HE SHOULDNT HAVE DONE IT THOUGH!

I don't buy that a significant portion of Colbert's audience doesn't understand that it's satire instead of just making fun of Asians.

"Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever" is entirely obvious to anyone who tunes in and watches Colbert.

Literally the only thing Colbert does is to satirize people and situations by agreeing with them too hard. That's his entire show. That's his entire character. He does nothing but satire, all day, every day.

I agree that it's obvious, but I also agree with the writer of the article that he took the safest route in doing it, which makes it limp.

People who watch the show and also recognize his satire for what it is are already intelligent enough to know that having a team name like Redskins is racist, and anyone not intelligent enough to see that is not going to have their minds blown by that joke.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's like getting pissed at this because it's too subtle.

iM7WF23nHH5vc.jpg

cdyhybrid

Coffee and music are the only things keeping me sane this morning.

Edit: That werewolf enthusiast thread...I can't. Staying out of OT for the rest of the day.

Putting this here instead of the Colbert thread for reasons:

Why Colbert's Joke Failed

They pretty much say what I initially thought; he didn't go hard enough for it to really be effective. I feel like Colbert is reaching that late Chappelle Show point, where people in on the jokes appreciate them for what they are, but everyone else is just laughing mindlessly.

I also think the fact he went to Asians and not black people is interesting, especially when we know how often Natural's Law pops up.
did the joke fail or did humanity fail?
The joke didn't fail. Humanity failed.

on a side note Grown Ups 2 is one hell of a mini SNL reunion. Say what you want about Sandler, but dude makes sure his friends eat.

Yeah, I was shocked at how many SNL members were in it. Taylor Lautner being the frat douchebro was funny as fuck. Was the last half as good as the first? Haven't had a chance to watch all of it.

Trey

Thinking on it some, this whole fiasco has pushed me firmly into the "name needs to change" camp. Before I was like, wow, that's fucked up, but didn't really think on it much more than that. It was just another NFL team.

Now "the Redskins" is a symbol for racists and those tired of "political correctness" to rally around, and the fallout from this situation is causing some of those aforementioned, unfortunate people to point fingers on some "liberals are the real racists!" type shit.

Kreed

I agree. The only reason the joke "failed" is because someone on his staff tweeted a part of his bit with no context.

hmNK9RG.jpg

And then it spread, with people who didn't watch the episode/don't normally watch his show seeing this tweet and calling for his head. Had this tweet never been made, this wouldn't have gotten any press what so ever.

Imm0rt4l

What do you think is bullshit about it

I don't think the joke failed for one. Also it's not giving his audience enough credit, most of which are left leaning. Ching chong ding dong ling long is racist, there was a viral video about some stupid chicken head complaining about Asians at a southern California college a while ago. Colbert's doing what he's always been doing, there's absolutely no reason to act brand new.

did the joke fail or did humanity fail?
The joke didn't fail. Humanity failed.

word

Goddamn I go to sleep to wake up to what feels a damn crisis. Jesus people OT fucking up like that...?

And Beef I laughed at Grown ups 2. If you seen the first half its worth finishing. Nothing spectacular but there's a big fight at the end.

Coffee and music are the only things keeping me sane this morning.

Edit: That werewolf enthusiast thread...I can't. Staying out of OT for the rest of the day.

Just read it. I'm off OT today.

I have to find a recording of poetry and edit a video for class. Any suggestions?

I wonder if anyone's ever refused being drafted by the Redskins over the name?

(I know nothing about how they usually make out as far as draft order)

No one would do that. The redskin's are one of the most profitable teams when it comes to merchandising. That's why the owner won't change the name they make a shit load of cash off of it.

cdyhybrid

Further revealing my ignorance about pro football, if a draftee refuses a pick, what happens after that?

He has to sit out a year, the team owns his draft eligibility for an entire year once they draft him. He can try and force them to trade him (like Eli Manning did) but that's really the only option.

cyborg009

Banned
Wow so a local radio host posted on twitter to see some chick from ultra doing coke on some naked girl...And people wonder why most locals want it banned..

andthebeatgoeson

I don't want to sound heartless, but logically it's not the best time for either her or I to have a child. Many sacrifices will be made and it's going to be tough as hell. On the flip side though, having my own little minion running around to do my bidding is always nice. :p
You don't. Only Dicks try and insert themselves into other people's lives and impose their values. It's a fucking tough decision and wish you the best. I only asked cuz you briefly mentioned what sounds like a monumental decision.

All right, if that's the case I can see why that's not happening.
And you can guarantee his draft stock will plummet. Like from a 1st to 6th rounder, if drafted at all. The nfl had this weird ideal that anyone not 'following the normal path' becomes an outcast. It's why Desean Jackson gets released instead of traded for a 5th round pick. And why he isn't been picked up by the panthers. Or has 6 other suitors.

They pretty much say what I initially thought; he didn't go hard enough for it to really be effective. I feel like Colbert is reaching that late Chappelle Show point, where people in on the jokes appreciate them for what they are, but everyone else is just laughing mindlessly.

I also think the fact he went to Asians and not black people is interesting, especially when we know how often Natural's Law pops up.
His writers always go Asian before and after his black friend series of jokes

FyreWulff

The big thing about programming your own software. Realizing you just can't complain at the forums if you want a feature or a bugfix, you have to create it all yourself. Maaan

Infinite

Then at that point he's preaching to the choir.

Like I said in the thread my issue with the joke is that it uses actual racism to tell us that this other racism is bad. Comes off as irresponsible :-/

Imm0rt4l

Like I said in the thread my issue with the joke is that it uses actual racism to tell us that this other racism is bad. Comes off as irresponsible :-/

That's how satire works though...Again, he's been doing this forever. See Kreed's post.

Slayven

Yeah, I was shocked at how many SNL members were in it. Taylor Lautner being the frat douchebro was funny as fuck. Was the last half as good as the first? Haven't had a chance to watch all of it.

I stopped watching when he snapped the kid's leg, had to do some work. But I am going to watch it later. I wouldn't pay to see it, but it was a good movie to chill too. And you right the bros were killing it, that and struggle Urkel

8963_3.jpg

Crocodile

How could he possibly have been less subtle? If someone can't tell "Ching-Chong" is racist there is no hope for them as a person.

The joke/satire doesn't work if its not hilariously over-the-top racist. What other option was there?

Infinite

Intent doesn't matter?

Intent matters but to make an analogy if you accidentally step on my toe I'm still going to ask that you apologize because I'm in pain as a result of your actions regardless if you meant to do it or not. This doesn't make you a serial toe stomper but just had this accident.

Colbert meant well with his skit and isn't a racist and no I don't think his show should be canceled as a result of it.

Imm0rt4l

Intent matters but to make an analogy if you accidentally step on my toe I'm still going to ask that you apologize because I'm in pain as a result of your actions regardless if you meant to do it or not. This doesn't make you a serial toe stomper but just had this accident.

Colbert meant well with his skit and isn't a racist and no I don't think his show should be canceled as a result of it.

This isn't even worth considering.

Someone please tell this isn't actually being considered over some feigned indignation.

Mumei

I agree, because it's an incredibly closed-minded and limited viewpoint, but when it comes to the race thing people want to believe that it's anything but that. Dude, it's just my preference. Get over it. Nope, no need to examine what might have molded those preferences. It's ingrained.

Remember this?

The article is in the context of a gay white man professing his disinterest in dating black men, but the arguments and rebuttals work outside of that context.

cdyhybrid

Eh, satire is supposed to be over the top and "offensive". The whole point is to use that ridiculousness to make your point and to point out the flaws in the thing you're satirizing. Like, "this thing is messed up, because THIS (ridiculous over-the-topness) is the next logical step".

The skit is fine but the tweet needed the context of a link to the skit. Of course, people should know that Colbert's persona and his associated outlets (the show, social media accounts, etc.) are 100% satire 100% of the time, but even most of the clueless people would have probably kept the outrage in the bag with a link to the skit next to it.

Top Bottom