• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Ali's opinion was widely held by the black community in his time. And as much as the host would want to blame Ali's point if view, he should focus moreso on how society set the table. That's what was really sad.

I get upset with the loser in blowout games. Like they should be faulted for being so outclassed in public competition.

Infinite

Ali's opinion was widely held by the black community in his time. And as much as the host would want to blame Ali's point if view, he should focus moreso on how society set the table. That's what was really sad.

I get upset with the loser in blowout games. Like they should be faulted for being so outclassed in public competition.
Yeah. Ali's views and ones like it during that time is an unfortunate consequence of racial oppression we faced back then.

No one should but that video is ages old in a time where we had Jim Crow and the civil rights struggle. It would be wise to keep that context in mind.

Yeah. Ali's views and ones like it during that time is an unfortunate consequence of racial oppression we faced back then.

Oh, I understand the context. But the type of reasoning used in the video only exacerbates racial divides. I get that society shaped his views... but those views are still wrong.

Infinite

Oh, I understand the context. But the type of reasoning used in the video only exacerbates racial divides. I get that society shaped his views... but those views are still wrong.
I'm not saying his view are anything but "wrong" or even trying to excuse them. Just offering an explanation for why he has them to begin with. People using this video to make a point about racial issues today or to say the Muhammad Ali is a racist while avoiding the context the video was made in are also wrong.

I'm not saying his view are anything but "wrong" or even trying to excuse them. Just offering an explanation for why he has them to begin with. People using this video to make a point about racial issues today or to say the Muhammad Ali is a racist while avoiding the context the video was made in are also wrong.

Fair enough.

girlpnm4.png

ce2.png

I'm not even surprised...

So this video is making the rounds on my feed, and I saw it on reddit too. Lots of people saying how Ali is a racist, and if it was a white man saying this the audience would crucify him instead of clapping and laughing. Some comments I saw said why we call him a hero instead of a bigot.........I need a shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VYWnU610pE

I've heard that kind of talk back home and despite knowing/understanding where they are coming from, its still wrong. It irritates me when people treat incidents such as these like binary events. Saying he’s a bigot is ignoring the struggle that Ali went through and the things he saw affect interracial couple. He says it himself, no woman was worth the ridicule and torment that would come down especially at the time of the interview. His position wasn't from a place of racial superiority/privilege but more along the lines of happiness in the relationship and society's view/backlash.

Dat World Cup game tho

I enjoyed every second of it

chick said she never heard of the Beatles...then she tried to correct herself like "I never heard their music" like that was any better...

One more week and I'm out this mothafucka

chick said she never heard of the Beatles...then she tried to correct herself like "I never heard their music" like that was any better...

One more week and I'm out this mothafucka

Damn my nigga. Ya boys being overly open about masturbation girls don't know who the Beatles are. Where are you?

andthebeatgoeson

it's fine at this point to not have heard their music but to not have heard of them is patrick star levels of living under a rock
There's like no way to have not heard there music unless you never turn on a TV, never watch a movie and exclusively listen to one type of music. Well, it might be possible.

That ESPN the body pictures... Heavy breathing
Venus :0

And Prince Fielder look like Stay Puft

Isn't Maryland that state every corporation has a office in so they can juke taxes?

Marylander here. I just don't see that happening considering this place is progressively taxed. And the guy running to cut them on the democratic side lost... even in his own district iirc. We have some corruption in the Prince George's County (former county exec is in jail along with his wife) but that's about it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Tell me you can't listen to this song and feel your inner simp come out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rb5F8y5Mhw

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

goddamnit i never wanted to hear this song again. all my dad would listen to on the radio was the oldies station. he said one day, id understand.

shit came on the radio after i broke up with my first gf

the twist of a thousand daggers in my side. i broke. i broke so hard man.

andthebeatgoeson

Yesterday was my shit for a minute. still puts me in a mood.
True story: first became a fan thru Boys to Men when a dude in high school was like 'you should check out the Beatles'.

Then, when I caught up, I remembered all the old songs I've heard in the past.

Kinda like how Wyclef put me on to Pink Floyd.

I was exclusively into what be now called 'urban' up til college. I kind of missed the diversity of hip hop and r&b from the past. Ain't no way Heavy D sells more than 10k records today. Chubby, light skinned guy who can dance and rap? Y'all would call him a simp.

Or wyclef picking up a guitar? He would be clowned for his lyrics.

Tangent:And I was wondering today. What happened to Chi Ali? I'm getting old.

This is going in my magical posts library.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120083170&postcount=889

Just so much wrong

That's like saying climate change deniers should get to sit at the table because everyone should participate in national discourse despite how their views are ostrich-head-and-neck-in-the-sand wrong. GAF would take similar stances because freedom of speech.

Oh wait

We should only have a voice if we are even marginally racist, if it doesn't involve black people, you got to go.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yesterday was my shit for a minute. still puts me in a mood.

Yesterday fucks me up almost every time i hear it. The only other song that does that to me Is i try by angela bofill. Fuck those songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom