• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

I think a lot of the backlash towards Macklemore is because of the whole getting a Grammy over Kendrick thing and how it was handled after the fact.

Then again the grammy's don't mean shit. Award shows are about ratings and panel picking who wins select them like bubbling in answers on a scantron for a test they didn't study for.

cdyhybrid

Then again the grammy's don't mean shit. Award shows are about ratings and panel picking who wins select them like bubbling in answers on a scantron for a test they didn't study for.

Yeah, the outrage should mostly be directed at the Grammy voters but Macklemore inevitably caught some of that.

Trey

Alright so I'm sure this all has nothing or little to do with white vs black, it seems like it's either talent or their reputation.

Boys were ready to front on Eminem because he is a white boy but he was putting out good shit consistently. He forced the game to recognize his ability as an emcee, then he took the pop lane by force. He was able to crossover and be a face for the white consumer base to buy into hip hop/rap - suburbanites and teenage girls who "don't really like rap but know some Eminem." By that time he already had MMLP, SSLP and the Eminem Show under his belt, hits all through those albums.

so he was legitimately a great rapper, had the credibility with the black community and hip hop scene in which he was groomed, AND took the pop lane with his bad boy rap-pop.

All many people see from Macklemore is a dude who is making pop songs, calling it rap, and taking awards from anointed rap acts. He doesn't have the raw talent of Eminem nor the time put into the hip hop scene.

Him being white definitely plays into it a bit too, because it looks like Macklemore is doing the same thing Eminem did: taking rap/hip hop and making it presentable (a white guy doing it) to demographics who will never buy into the genre. Just not as authentically or as good.

Infinite

Yeah, the outrage should mostly be directed at the Grammy voters but Macklemore inevitably caught some of that.

True but. . .

Iggy gets a pass where Mackelmore doesn't because Iggy has never tried to present herself as more than a Pop rapper. She knows her lane and she stays the fuck in it.

and the tweet to Kendrick was some bullshit. He's legit that kid that tries so hard to make everyone like him so he does a bunch of shit to get on everyone's good side all at once. It's transparent as fuck.

cdyhybrid

Tweeting the text he sent to Kendrick was some straight-up bullshit, though. Can def say that much.

True but. . .

and the tweet to Kendrick was some bullshit. He's legit that kid that tries so hard to make everyone like him so he does a bunch of shit to get on everyone's good side all at once. It's transparent as fuck.

Agreed on both posts! I don't think it'll be happening again as long as King Kendrick keeps putting out quality work.

Trey

The Darkness, Spec ops, XCOM, bioshock trilogy, Mafia II + futures for a dub.

Might gotta pull the trigger on that one.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Boys were ready to front on Eminem because he is a white boy but he was putting out good shit consistently. He forced the game to recognize his ability as an emcee, then he took the pop lane by force. He was able to crossover and be a face for the white consumer base to buy into hip hop/rap - suburbanites and teenage girls who "don't really like rap but know some Eminem." By that time he already had MMLP, SSLP and the Eminem Show under his belt, hits all through those albums.

so he was legitimately a great rapper, had the credibility with the black community and hip hop scene in which he was groomed, AND took the pop lane with his bad boy rap-pop.

All many people see from Macklemore is a dude who is making pop songs, calling it rap, and taking awards from anointed rap acts. He doesn't have the raw talent of Eminem nor the time put into the hip hop scene.

Him being white definitely plays into it a bit too, because it looks like Macklemore is doing the same thing Eminem did: taking rap/hip hop and making it presentable (a white guy doing it) to demographics who will never buy into the genre. Just not as authentically or as good.

I do agree that Eminem was in quite the uphill battle. Lucky him, he's always been extremely talented and had some really great connections in the rap industry. He's definitely one of the most iconic rappers of all time.

So with Macklemore race is likely a problem as well as his talents? But not so much the same for Iggy?

Gorillaz

I actually liked Bioshock 2 alot even if it doesn't have the "atmosphere" of 1. It was more fun to play and the ending was actually enjoyable.

You know, all this talk of Iggy Azalea and Macklemore has me curious.

I wasn't old enough (actually I wasn't born yet lol) to know much about Teena Marie when she was flourishing in R&B and Soul but was she given poor treatment by other black artists during that time?

I do remember hearing about some problems between Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston tho. And a little about Eminem.

I don't think the black community is against people of any race doing R&B, I think there's more to it but I can't explain it really. :/

Teena Marie was embraced like a mofo; it also helped that she was legitimately amazing and could hang with the best.

I think the big difference is Teena's demographics was mainly black who actually listened to R&B heavily contrast to Iggy/Mackelmore fanbase consisting mainly of kids who otherwise wouldn't listen to rap because they 'can't relate'.

And thus you get twats like Cliffy B making those stupid statements and hundreds of douches co-signing and retweeting that shit as if it were the gospel of truth. It also doesn't help these are the same fucks who will totally tell you "hey bro that Kendrick shit isn't real hip hop. Let me introduce you to Aesop Rock". Dude is hot asshole juice on wax spitting his shitty pseudo intelligent rap that makes his remedial as fuck fans shit their pants in excitement because he fucking shits there are recites passages from the Oxford Dictionary as he talks about absolutely fucking nothing; and these fucks mistake this as some deep ass shit, when really he sits there tugging his dick ranting about pointless shit…but they can relate. To what? Being a bunch of fake ass douches who only listen to these artists because they're white and they're too scared to do due diligence and actually look for black artists "who have something to say" because they lack the basic cognitive functions to cut past all the mainstream radio mess?

Fuck them.

Why do rappers need to "say something?" 90% of rock music says nothing and no one seems to care.

All music "says something" the question is...do you like what that particular artist of that genre is saying. It's one thing to not like an artist(s) because they are garbage. It's another thing (And some thinly veiled racism) to dismiss an entire genre as horrible with none of the artists saying something until a white artist comes and then suddenly there's someone actually saying something and now these fans are an expert in said genre. Doubly so when a person is asked to explain and they rebuttal with radio music. Then when you use their exact same argument and apply it to rock music, then begins the goalpost moving, slippery slope bullshit counterargument.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Teena Marie was embraced like a mofo; it also helped that she was legitimately amazing and could hang with the best.

I think the big difference is Teena's demographics was mainly black who actually listened to R&B heavily contrast to Iggy/Mackelmore fanbase consisting mainly of kids who otherwise wouldn't listen to rap because they 'can't relate'.

And thus you get twats like Cliffy B making those stupid statements and hundreds of douches co-signing and retweeting that shit as if it were the gospel of truth. It also doesn't help these are the same fucks who will totally tell you "hey bro that Kendrick shit isn't real hip hop. Let me introduce you to Aesop Rock". Dude is hot asshole juice on wax spitting his shitty pseudo intelligent rap that makes his remedial as fuck fans shit their pants in excitement because he fucking shits there are recites passages from the Oxford Dictionary as he talks about absolutely fucking nothing; and these fucks mistake this as some deep ass shit, when really he sits there tugging his dick ranting about pointless shit…but they can relate. To what? Being a bunch of fake ass douches who only listen to these artists because they're white and they're too scared to do due diligence and actually look for black artists "who have something to say" because they lack the basic cognitive functions to cut past all the mainstream radio mess?

Fuck them.

Thanks, this is what I'm really trying to explore here. I think there's a difference between Eminem's path to glory and his experience with racism compared to these two and the overall response from the black community.

Like Trey said there's likely an issue with race here but I feel like there's more to it. It's like the biggest setback for Iggy and Macklemore is that what they're doing has either already been done by a black person (explains the comparison to Nicki) but conveniently ignored, or their reputation is underwhelming compared to someone else but they're somehow better because they're white.

Compare these two with say... Robin Thicke and there's quite a difference. Robin Thicke is a lot like Teena because they're very talented and have been in the industry with other prominent faces long enough to be welcomed. And yeah, demographics are also a factor over the years.

But here we have these two, who like you, I believe their actual talents are being overshadowed by their appeal because of their race.

I think this isn't necessarily racism entirely from the black community towards them because they're white artists, this seems different from what occurred with Eminem. However, there is a race issue in play, no doubt about it.

I think this is the community going on the defensive because music we've identified with and nurtured is somehow only valuable when it's on white person than a black one and that's the problem, that's the real issue.

Infinite

All music "says something" the question is...do you like what that particular artist of that genre is saying. It's one thing to not like an artist(s) because they are garbage. It's another thing (And some thinly veiled racism) to dismiss an entire genre as horrible with none of the artists saying something until a white artist comes and then suddenly there's someone actually saying something and now these fans are an expert in said genre. Doubly so when a person is asked to explain and they rebuttal with radio music. Then when you use their exact same argument and apply it to rock music, then begins the goalpost moving, slippery slope bullshit counterargument.

Further more not all music "say something" because not all music has lyrics. Why is it a requirement for rappers to make social commentary or the other to be relevant when that standard isn't held for music that is literally saying nothing? That's a double standard asinine

Kraftwerk

Not to get too deep, but even songs without lyrics 'say something'

At the end of the day it is an expression/extension of the artist in the form of songs. If we look at it from your perspective, then things such as paintings don't say anything,

p.s I haven't read this whole page, so not 100% what is being argued here, just replying to one comment.

Thanks, this is what I'm really trying to explore here. I think there's a difference between Eminem's path to glory and his experience with racism compared to these two and the overall response from the black community.

Like Trey said there's likely an issue with race here but I feel like there's more to it. It's like the biggest setback for Iggy and Macklemore is that what they're doing has either already been done by a black person (explains the comparison to Nicki) but conveniently ignored, or their reputation is underwhelming compared to someone else but they're somehow better because they're white.

Compare these two with say... Robin Thicke and there's quite a difference. Robin Thicke is a lot like Teena because they're very talented and have been in the industry with other prominent faces long enough to be welcomed. And yeah, demographics are also a factor over the years.

But here we have these two, who like you, I believe their actual talents are being overshadowed by their appeal because of their race.

I think this isn't necessarily racism entirely from the black community towards them because they're white artists, this seems different from what occurred with Eminem. However, there is a race issue in play, no doubt about it.

I think this is the community going on the defensive because music we've identified with and nurtured is somehow only valuable when it's on white person than a black one and that's the problem, that's the real issue.

That's most likely the reason to be honest. Like personally I'm indiffierent to either one of them; continue to make music and do whatever. But the idea that they're "better" in many people's eyes despite not doing a thing new or different hell or even better than artists before really just makes me believe the sole reason why people even like them/say that is specifically because they're white artists in a black dominated genre.

The entire demographics of rap has changed much since Eminem's time. Now the largest demographics are going to be young white men and women. Or more accurately they have more money to spend on supporting the artist (attending concerts, buying merchandise and endorsed products). You're just as likely to find a young black woman who knows the words to "Fancy" as you are a young white woman. It also helps that Iggy is actively part of the black community "scene". She appears on BET regularly, she performed at the BET Awards. I really can't tell one way or another how most people feel about Mackelmore, if I were to take BCT as anecdotal evidence and extend it to the community then they're probably really indifferent to him.

And honestly Mackelmore's 15 minutes is already up anyway.

Further more not all music "say something" because not all music has lyrics. Why is it a requirement for rappers to make social commentary or the other to be relevant when that standard isn't held for music that is literally saying nothing? That's a double standard asinine

As Kraft stated, even music without lyrics are saying something. As someone who use to produce for fun; I can say much in a beat without the use of words. The average person might not aware of it but portraying emotions through music doesn't require lyrics. Classical music being a great example of such, there are orchestral pieces that say more in the first 2 minutes than many artists can do in 5. I mean there are days when I put on Orchestral pieces because they accurately portray how I'm feeling and words aren't needed.

Kinda related, I've been tempted to make an "Aren't bad rap and bad country basically flip sides of the same coin?" thread lately to see if people can swallow their pride for once or if GAF will "can't relate" hard enough to make it a race thing and forget about the music part.

I mean, come on now. You'll Niggas Don't Even Smoke Crack is no worse than A Black Tornado Done Come And Took My Ranch And The Wife's Run Off And Married The Dog.*

Not a real title. Song probably exists in some fashion.

Kraftwerk

angelus errare was a cooler name

Damn, I just noticed the name change....

mr-t-crying.gif

The lack of centering for 1 word user names is killing my OCD, Errare brought a certain balance to the entire left panel. Ugh; it's seriously bothering me greatly.

Edit: Bish when you see this, can you change it back to 'Angelus Errare' pls? Sorry in advance. :3
chrono cross tho

scust
outside the soundtrack

7x401HR.gif

FyreWulff

I still need to play Minerva's Den.

Right up there with Left Behind and Lair of the Shadow Broker for best single player DLC campaigns I've played

and I'm fully on board with the KoF13 train. Its a very attractive game, and it still works on a lot of Street Fighter fundamentals that makes it easy to watch, but more flashy combos than you'd see in SF4.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Kinda related, I've been tempted to make an "Aren't bad rap and bad country basically flip sides of the same coin?" thread lately to see if people can swallow their pride for once or if GAF will "can't relate" hard enough to make it a race thing and forget about the music part.

I mean, come on now. You'll Niggas Don't Even Smoke Crack is no worse than A Black Tornado Done Come And Took My Ranch And The Wife's Run Off And Married The Dog.*

its cowards tho

Infinite

You guys are absolutely right and I understand that on the music thing. Emotion can be conveyed without lyrics but the people talking about Macklemore "saying something" is talking about him making social commentary which is something a lot of other artist in a lot of different genres don't do and they aren't judge for it like rappers are. That's all I was trying to say

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Right up there with Left Behind and Lair of the Shadow Broker for best single player DLC campaigns I've played

and I'm fully on board with the KoF13 train. Its a very attractive game, and it still works on a lot of Street Fighter fundamentals that makes it easy to watch, but more flashy combos than you'd see in SF4.

honestly, i like kofs recovery system more than sf4.

BHZ Mayor

A CvS3 with SNK doing the art would be a dream come true.

Also, I still think Macklemore wouldn't been shit (or at least not as shit, Asher Roth tier at best) if he hadn't made 'Same Love' in a time where gay rights is the hottest thing smoking.

A CvS3 with SNK doing the art would be a dream come true.

Also, I still think Macklemore wouldn't been shit (or at least not as shit, Asher Roth tier at best) if he hadn't made 'Same Love' in a time where gay rights is the hottest thing smoking.

Didn't he dress up in a stereotypical Jewish outfit.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That's most likely the reason to be honest. Like personally I'm indiffierent to either one of them; continue to make music and do whatever. But the idea that they're "better" in many people's eyes despite not doing a thing new or different hell or even better than artists before really just makes me believe the sole reason why people even like them/say that is specifically because they're white artists in a black dominated genre.

The entire demographics of rap has changed much since Eminem's time. Now the largest demographics are going to be young white men and women. Or more accurately they have more money to spend on supporting the artist (attending concerts, buying merchandise and endorsed products). You're just as likely to find a young black woman who knows the words to "Fancy" as you are a young white woman. It also helps that Iggy is actively part of the black community "scene". She appears on BET regularly, she performed at the BET Awards. I really can't tell one way or another how most people feel about Mackelmore, if I were to take BCT as anecdotal evidence and extend it to the community then they're probably really indifferent to him.

And honestly Mackelmore's 15 minutes is already up anyway.

Agreed.

GAF will fall apart lol

But I think this is worthy of discussion.

BHZ Mayor

I always lol when people say they won't listen to rap because of violence/"badness" then listen to country, with murdering and shit

of course the country violence is acceptable because "that's how we do things" amongst the people that listen to it heavily

fuck modern country though, it's just pop without the show

I'd love to see the Olympic-level mental gymnastics on display.

strobogo

Banned

Bad country is the worst form of music possible. Undeniably. There is nothing worse. Even good country is terrible. Turn on CMT on the weekends and try to sit through their count down shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom