• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Please Chrono Cross' battle system was the shit.

I'm still pissed at that game that Guile wasn't Magus.

You gonna spend all that money and time having 30 playable characters, how bout you cut down on the bullshit and execute on what you were implying?

so...this one popped up on my feed this morning.

10360690_10154253204650203_4566653435682881581_n.png

Eagerly looking forward to the justification about how this one isn't racist, I'm just taking it the wrong way.

Chrono Cross was jam.
Xcom is jam. You get attached to your characters and you come up with your own little stories in your head. It's like playing with toys. Manly ass toys that are leveling ETs and shit. That satisfying feeling when your sniper is in over watch and something looks at your heavy sideways. *pop*

srsly.

i never get this kind of fuckery on my FB feed.

It's not that common- though when it is, it's always someone I used to know from high school and don't interact with regularly, or the example above. No one I interact with on a regular basis would be this stupid. She'll get the boot after I'm done tearing into her over this, though it's already starting to backfire.

Mortemis

Banned
Smash is nothing exciting to watch. It's one of my favorite fighting games though, and any time I see it I'm itching to go. Smash invitational was fun to watch, but that was pure fanservice, especially for mega man fans so that explains it.

so...this one popped up on my feed this morning.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10360690_10154253204650203_4566653435682881581_n.png[IMG]

Eagerly looking forward to the justification about how this one isn't racist, I'm just taking it the wrong way.[/QUOTE]

Pop it up in OT and you'll have a bunch of people explaining why it's really us that are being offensive.

Pop it up in OT and you'll have a bunch of people explaining why it's really us that are being offensive.

While the ensuing bloodbath and chaos would likely be entertaining, I'll leave that to someone else.

What else could it be?

That's the thing. there's no other reason for this photo to exist. Michelle Obama is wildly more competent than Jackie O. in just about every area you can think of, on top of this being "staged photoshoot vs. random moment at a basketball game."

Why do you guys have/keep so many assholes on your Facebook feeds? Serious question.

This. I have like, maybe 30 people friended. No family, couple of friends, mostly irl ones. Barely ever use it save for coordinating stuff with people, more often than not with friends that actually came from GAF.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Most exciting fighting games to watch:

1. Marvel
2. Street Fighter
3. Injustice

4.Smash
5. any other 2D fighter
6. any 3D fighter

KumaJG

I already took congress with the great mistress CiV. Corrals my time far, far too easily. I had to cut the habit before it formed.

He's the only dude on GAF who likes Chrono Cross, anyways.

Don't yu dare slander Chrono Cross, that game is a classic. Easily in my top 5 games of all time list.

Trey

1. Marvel
2. Street Fighter
3. Injustice

4.Smash
5. any other 2D fighter
6. any 3D fighter

The Mango Freedom Reset Smash Finals of Evo13 was amazingly hype.

Followed closely by Marvel Finals Wong Redemption.

SSFIV's Infiltration Oil Spill was okay too.

Smash in general can be terrible but top 8 Smash is strong stuff.

This. I have like, maybe 30 people friended. No family, couple of friends, mostly irl ones. Barely ever use it save for coordinating stuff with people, more often than not with friends that actually came from GAF.

I'm married with a decent sized family on both sides. immediate family and mutual friends between my wife and I are about 75 people alone.

Don't yu dare slander Chrono Cross, that game is a classic. Easily in my top 5 games of all time list.

eh, if that's in your top 5, I'd strongly recommend you play more games. CC isn't awful, but what it tries to do (the "cast of thousands" bit) is done so much better by suikoden 1/2/3/5 it's barely worth playing in retrospect.

Trey

Call off the CC goons.

"full Angelus Errare" doesn't have the same ring

I need to ask Bish to shorten it to just Angelus at this point anyway. I'm the only dude on GAF who liked Chrono Cross.

Why the name change?

He's the only dude on GAF who likes Chrono Cross, anyways.

Infinite

Marvel 2 is really boring to spectate. Marvel 3 is only interesting when there's top player vs up-and-commer or up-and-commer vs up-and-commer.

hypernima

Banned
Yesterday at EVO This chun li cosplayer kept turning around eyein a nigga hard during street fighter quarter finals. She was with her man.

I'm probably the only nigga not to make a street fighter joke, but how far did you get and what pool did you start in?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
You know, all this talk of Iggy Azalea and Macklemore has me curious.

I wasn't old enough (actually I wasn't born yet lol) to know much about Teena Marie when she was flourishing in R&B and Soul but was she given poor treatment by other black artists during that time?

I do remember hearing about some problems between Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston tho. And a little about Eminem.

I don't think the black community is against people of any race doing R&B, I think there's more to it but I can't explain it really. :/

You know, all this talk of Iggy Azalea and Macklemore has me curious.

I wasn't old enough (actually I wasn't born yet lol) to know much about Teena Marie when she was flourishing in R&B and Soul but was she given poor treatment by other black artists during that time?

I do remember hearing about some problems between Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston tho. And a little about Eminem.

I don't think the black community is against people of any race doing R&B, I think there's more to it but I can't explain it really. :/

Nothing I'm aware of. As far as I'm aware she was well respected and people liked her songs. Hell, people even liked Rick Astley, though I doubt most people knew what he looked like when listening to that song.

of course, she was big around 1984 and I was about 6. Could be some things that just went over my head.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Thanks, I figured as much. I think the reason why Macklemore and Iggy aren't as easily accepted is for another reason tbh.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what it is haha

KumaJG

I'm married with a decent sized family on both sides. immediate family and mutual friends between my wife and I are about 75 people alone.

eh, if that's in your top 5, I'd strongly recommend you play more games. CC isn't awful, but what it tries to do (the "cast of thousands" bit) is done so much better by suikoden 1/2/3/5 it's barely worth playing in retrospect.

I am no stranger to Suikoden. Chrono Cross in my top 5 because it is mean so much to my childhood.

Trey

Thanks, I figured as much. I think the reason why Macklemore and Iggy aren't as easily accepted is for another reason tbh.

They're not good or bad/"one hit wonder" enough for the black community to not care. Macklemore is taking Grammys from classic rap albums.

Infinite

I don't think mackelmore specifically isn't accepted it's just that a couple of things. First of all macklemore is the equivalent of that dude in a male kpop group that gets the rap verse towards the end of the song. he doesn't make hip-hop he makes pop music he just happens to rap instead of sing. People are mainly mad at the fact that mainstream media is giving this guy play for being the captain planet of hip-hop and awarding him in the genre when he's not technically even apart of it.

Iggy Azealia is a whole 'nother story.

strobogo

Banned
Picked up a Lakers history at the the liberried. It's amazing how much the game changed from 1972 to 1980, both in play and in TV presentation. In 72, everyone is shoots like they were trained in YMCA ball, everyone is so skinny because no one heard of weight training, teams fight each other over rebounds, and camera angle is almost only mid court hard cam.

By 1980, dudes are still skinny, but have more muscle, guys have their own shooting style, everything is flashier, and TV presentation is much closer to modern era stuff.

Full games included: Game 5 1972 finals. Game 6 1980 finals (game where Kareem is hurt and Magic starts at center, and plays every position during the game). Game 1 1982 finals. Game 6 1985 finals (first visiting team to win title at Boston Garden). Game 4 1987 finals. Game 7 1988 finals (Lakers come back from 3-2 deficit to win title). Game 4 2000 finals. Game 5 2001 finals. 2002 WCF game 7.

There was a similar set for the Celtics there I might pick up next time.

In the 1972 game, Wilt has both hands tapped up so much they look like MMA gloves due to an injured wrist, but still had 24 points, 29 rebounds, 8 blocks, and 8 assists. They were saying that he couldn't even eat his cereal that morning because of how bad of shape his wrist was in. And he still dominated not even trying.

Also interesting to see Phil Jackson and Pat Riley as players. Riley was a god damn hustle machine, while Phil was the gangliest mother fucker I've ever seen.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
They're not good or bad/"one hit wonder" enough for the black community to not care. Macklemore is taking Grammys from classic rap albums.

But hasn't Eminem done the same?

I don't think mackelmore specifically isn't accepted it's just that a couple of things. First of all macklemore is the equivalent of that dude in a male kpop group that gets the rap verse towards the end of the song. he doesn't make hip-hop he makes pop music he just happens to rap instead of sing. People are mainly mad at the fact that mainstream media is giving this guy play for being the captain planet of hip-hop and awarding him in the genre when he's not technically even apart of it.

Iggy Azealia is a whole 'nother story.

Ah okay, so this kinda does help the position that it's not because (white vs black) there's a plausible reason for the scrutiny.

I saw a post showing Iggy's problematic views. Yeah, she's... something else.

Sexist? After staring at it for a while, I figure they could be getting at how the first lady used to be more... is demure the word?

But it could also be the race thing. That's really how it comes off either way.

they're using a staged and posed photo of Jackie O, when she was (AT MOST) 34, versus a candid shot of Michelle Obama at a basketball game at 50 years of age.

that argument holds no water whatsoever.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

1. Marvel
2. Street Fighter
3. Injustice

4.Smash
5. any other 2D fighter
6. any 3D fighter

More or less

Flip the list though and you have the order of the games by how much fun they are to play

Used to date this one, though not seriously. She moved away, married a republican, things like this start cropping up. and not the first person this has happened with either.

You used to date Stacey Dash?

But really, cherrypicked outrage is a Facebook staple. Clean up your "friends" list, and you'll be a lot happier.

cdyhybrid

I think a lot of the backlash towards Macklemore is because of the whole getting a Grammy over Kendrick thing and how it was handled after the fact.

You used to date Stacey Dash?

But really, cherrypicked outrage is a Facebook staple. Clean up your "friends" list, and you'll be a lot happier.

don't tell me these things about Stacey Dash. :(

Oh, she's gone. Not all that sorry about it, but this kind of clearly racist assholery seems to be becoming more acceptable lately.

royalan

Iggy gets a pass where Mackelmore doesn't because Iggy has never tried to present herself as more than a Pop rapper. She knows her lane and she stays the fuck in it.

they're using a staged and posed photo of Jackie O, when she was (AT MOST) 34, versus a candid shot of Michelle Obama at a basketball game at 50 years of age.

that argument holds no water whatsoever.

Well, yeah. I never said that they were right. I'm just guessing at their intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom